Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,445 members, 7,819,643 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers (21553 Views)

Senate, FEC: Ex-Governors Call The Shot / House Of Reps Approves Devolution Of Powers To States / Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by jollymizzle(m): 8:17am On Oct 24, 2017
gidgiddy:
Even if they like, let them hold 100 meetings. Nigeria will never be restructured and power will never be devolved to the states. The core North have more than enough elected officials to make sure that never happens.
well no southerner expected any person from the North to be happy about this anyway. But the fact that you are actually not happy about this is one thing we like. ONE SOUTH
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by aalex1: 8:20am On Oct 24, 2017
OKDnigeria:
The governors of the 17 states of Southern Nigeria on Monday demanded devolution of powers to states from the federal government.

The governors also reiterated their commitment to the growth of Nigeria.

They spoke through a joint communique issued after they met in Lagos House, Ikeja, Lagos.

The governors met twelve years after their last meeting held in Lagos. The first summit took place in 2001 and the last in 2005.

The communique, read by Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos, also stated that the governors reiterated their commitment to true federalism and devolution of powers.

They also stated their commitment to a united, indivisible Nigeria and called for effective linkage of infrastructure in the southern part of the country.

The summit also appointed Mr. Ambode as chairman of the forum and governors Dave Umahi of Ebonyi and Seriake Dickson of Bayelsa as co-chairmen.

http://newsrescue.com/breaking-southern-nigerian-governors-call-devolution-powers/
Rochas will not attend in person but send a rep because he will feel the northerners won't like the agreements that will be reached at the meeting, as such, he won't want to associate himself with the southern governors in person.
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by Boyooosa(m): 8:22am On Oct 24, 2017
ideology:
no mind them, selfish people

All I see in the meeting is Tinubu scheming
Wow! Deep Thinking!
It might actually be a force towards 2019. Whichever way, my instinct keeps informing me that the meeting is not to the benefits of their subjects.
They want more power to rule, they are not interested in leading...
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by gidgiddy: 8:25am On Oct 24, 2017
BakireBulmaker:

Rubbish!

Core north is useless without the middle belt.

All we need is the middlebelt!!

Go and check how many legislators the combined core North(NW and NE) have. It is more than enough to stop restructuring. Restructuring or devolution of powers has to be approved by legislators first and the core North have enough votes to see it is never approved
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by wyt(m): 8:27am On Oct 24, 2017
gidgiddy:

There is no way foward. You either accept Nigeria as it is presently constituted or fight for your independence but anyone who thinks the core North will agree to a restructured Nigeria is dreaming.

U are wrong pal. Nigeria/restructuring will get better if the southern leader get their ass well. As per number, middle belt like plateau, Benue, and Taraba are on the southern side 100%.Bauchi about 40% kwara due to yoruba link will trace their root. Again Adama with influence of Atiku will support the south.
Summery, about 23 States will sign up to restructuring project
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by omoiyamayor(m): 8:32am On Oct 24, 2017
Good move,united we stand,the northerners boot is getting too big for them,just imagine having Arabic words on our currency anfor some emirs flying Saudis flag at the gates,how many of us can read Arabic.same on Nigeria forces logo like our military is sponsored by Arab.I'm a Nigerian but I don't feel like a citizen. Let devolution happen and nations treat there pepole the best way they think.
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by OKDnigeria: 8:38am On Oct 24, 2017
gidgiddy:

There is no way foward. You either accept Nigeria as it is presently constituted or fight for your independence but anyone who thinks the core North will agree to a restructured Nigeria is dreaming.
No sir. We won't accept Nigeria as it's presently constituted. And I don't think breaking up is the best idea.

The north will not agree to restructuring, yes, but they will not also agree to independence which you are proposing. And must the north agree before we do anything in this country? Chanel that energy you want to use in fighting for independence towards fighting for restructuring which is even easier.

We are better off in a restructured Nigeria than in a balkanized one
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by Rich96: 8:50am On Oct 24, 2017
If only the South can be United against the North! It's Over!
OKDnigeria:
The governors of the 17 states of Southern Nigeria on Monday demanded devolution of powers to states from the federal government.

The governors also reiterated their commitment to the growth of Nigeria.

They spoke through a joint communique issued after they met in Lagos House, Ikeja, Lagos.

The governors met twelve years after their last meeting held in Lagos. The first summit took place in 2001 and the last in 2005.

The communique, read by Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos, also stated that the governors reiterated their commitment to true federalism and devolution of powers.

They also stated their commitment to a united, indivisible Nigeria and called for effective linkage of infrastructure in the southern part of the country.

The summit also appointed Mr. Ambode as chairman of the forum and governors Dave Umahi of Ebonyi and Seriake Dickson of Bayelsa as co-chairmen.

http://newsrescue.com/breaking-southern-nigerian-governors-call-devolution-powers/
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by ideology(m): 8:57am On Oct 24, 2017
Boyooosa:

Wow! Deep Thinking!
It might actually be a force towards 2019. Whichever way, my instinct keeps informing me that the meeting is not to the benefits of their subjects.
They want more power to rule, they are not interested in leading...

Lol, abi na

Tinubu is not sure of what might happen to APC by 2019, so he needs a backup plan.

This meeting was last held 2005, when Tinubu was the governor.
He will table things that looks like its for the benefit of all the politicians

Gets your commitment, before you know it, you are exposing yourself meanwhile he will also suggest other things that will solely be for his benefits during the cause, he will use you to push his personal ambition and dump you later.

But the north has shown him pepper.
If Tinubu had successfully planted his boys in key positions in national Assembly, Buhari would have been in hot soup.
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by femo122: 9:01am On Oct 24, 2017
grin Great news
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by asawanathegreat(m): 9:04am On Oct 24, 2017
Confused Governors they are d people killing is country
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by automatix: 9:05am On Oct 24, 2017
omenka:
Ask the same of governors for local governments and see them raise hell on you.

What is killing this country is corruption and not its systemic structure.
go and Hang yourself heartless and selfish person who had sold his soul to the devil
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by Yoshy: 9:16am On Oct 24, 2017
This is the best news so far, let the South unite
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by waternogetememy: 9:35am On Oct 24, 2017
I AM NOT HAPPY WITH SOUTH EAST GOVERNORS LACK OF DIRECTION.

THERE IS A NEED FOR THEM TO HAVE A DIRECTION OF THEIR OWN, TO AVOID BEING USED TO PURSUE OTHER REGIONS AGENDA.

THE SS NEEDS A SE THAT KNOWS WAT THEY ARE DOING AS A PARTNER AND BROTHER IN OTHER TO MOVE BOTH REGIONS FORWARD.

IGBO GOVS FROM MY SE REGION, PLS STOP BEING BITCHES, GOD GAVE U DICKS.

STOP OPENING UR YANSH FOR EVERY BODY TO FCUCK. MAN NO SUPPOSE OPEN YANSH 4 HIS FELLOW MAN.

BE STRONG AND RESOLUTE TO DEATH IF NEED BE.

WE ARE TIRED OF UR SHOW OF SHAME.

1 Like

Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by waternogetememy: 9:42am On Oct 24, 2017
WHO DONT KNOW SW AGENDA IS TO YORUBANISE LAGOS.

EVERY ONE OF THEIR DEMAND IS AIMED AT ONE THING, LAGOS.

THE COMMERCIAL CAPITAL OF OUR COUNTRY AND FORMER CAPITAL CITY.

LAGOS IS NOT YORUBA LAND, IT IS NIGERIA LAND BECOS WE TOOK IT FROM A FOREST AND DEVELOPED IT.

IF YORUBA INSIST ON CLAIMING WAT BELONGS TO ALL OF US, JUST LIKE ABUJA, THEN THEY HAVE NO BUSINESS CALLLING FOR ONE NIGERIA. THE COUNTRY SHOULD BE DIVIDED.

WHO MADE AMBODE CHAIRMAN? WHERE MY PEOPLE SUPPOSE OPEN MOUTH AND TALK, THEY WILL BE BEHAVING LIKE PUSSY.

EVEN OUR IGBO WOMEN CAN PERFORM MUCH BETTER AND THAT IS Y I AM CANVASSING FOR A FEMALE GOV OF ANAMBRA.

STELLA ODUAH OR BIANCA OJUKWU.

I AM TIRED OF MAN BITCHES, MAN PROSTITUTE, MAN HOE. MEN THAT OPEN YANSH FOR OTHER MEN TO FUCUK

1 Like

Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by soflygerian(m): 9:48am On Oct 24, 2017
Calling for devolution of power to states and they are busy holding power of LGs. Hypocrites!!!
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by iwatchandlisten(m): 10:06am On Oct 24, 2017
omenka:
Ask the same of governors for local governments and see them raise hell on you.

What is killing this country is corruption and not its systemic structure.

My beloved, the system itself is corruption and therefore automatically births corruption. That is why it appears that agitations for equity in Nigeria appears like a never ending labyrinthe. Imagine this scenario - I dont drink alcohol in my house, I forcefully prevent others from buying and drinking, I destroy alcoholic beaverages wherever I find it and this makes me feel good, irrespective of the fact that i am infringing on the rights of those who enjoy drinking alcohol and killing the source of livelihood of those who manufacture, distribute and sell alcohol.

But you, you allow people who are engaged in alcohol business, and those who patronise them, and tax them appropriately.

Now, After all my holy, holy and gragra, when its time to share Value Added Tax from that alcohol business, I will be at the forefront, I will insist on even a bigger share, how would you feel? I claim you are corrupt but i always want to share from the proceeds of your corruption, e good like that? Now consider, is Nigeria working as things de like this? Imagine another 57 years from now, do you think, we can be better with this present system?

Children go do exam, one go score 300/400, he wont get admission in "our Unity School" because he is from one section of the country and in that same exam another child will score less than 100/400 and will be admitted because he is from another section of the same country, thereby entrenching mediocrity and you say the system is good? In fact the corruption of mediocrity don kill us finish for this country, because it breeds other forms of corruption and wickedness.
Now think well, Restructuring people and status quo people, who love this country pass? My brother sorry to disturb you abeg'o!
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by valentineuwakwe(m): 10:16am On Oct 24, 2017
noise makers. .canny guys act and impose policies like ur northern counterparts? don't be surprise some may be acting as spies for their northern governors and buhari. .until north agrees, devolution of power is still a dream. .while we are still dreaming self. .
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by FemiFimile: 10:18am On Oct 24, 2017
valentineuwakwe:
noise makers. .canny guys act and impose policies like ur northern counterparts? don't be surprise some may be acting as spies for their northern governors and buhari. .until north agrees, devolution of power is still a dream. .while we are still dreaming self. .

with dat many people, the north certain have spies among them.
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by BakireBulmaker: 10:18am On Oct 24, 2017
gidgiddy:

Go and check how many legislators the combined core North(NW and NE) have. It is more than enough to stop restructuring. Restructuring or devolution of powers has to be approved by legislators first and the core North have enough votes to see it is never approved

Please give me facts not wishful assumptions.
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by BeeBeeOoh(m): 10:20am On Oct 24, 2017
bonechamberlain:
after devolution of powers what next, would that stop the Governors from stealing.

the governors should clamour for total restructuring which would include change of this nonsense document called constitution. a new constitution which would frown against embezzlement and corruption, a new constitution which would make the Governors or President to be easily impeached when they fail to deliver, a new constitution that would include not only recalling of senators but governors and President, in case the docile state house of assembly or National assembly fail to impeach an erring president.
One million likes
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by BakireBulmaker: 10:22am On Oct 24, 2017
valentineuwakwe:

Of course, we shall persuade/force the north to agree.

If the reverse were the case, they wouldn't have been able to achieve any change alone without the south in agreement.

We must start from somewhere and not give up before the fight has started.
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by BakireBulmaker: 10:23am On Oct 24, 2017
FemiFimile:

with dat many people, the north certain have spies among them.

Left to the north, they shouldn't even meet at all.

This will surely get them jittery.
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by ipoblogic: 10:32am On Oct 24, 2017
donlucabrazi:
This is a welcome development. Enough of the intimidation from the North

If only the Southern leaders can set aside their primordial sentiments and proclivities for bickering, stealing, selfishness and the likes, it will augur well for their people

Nigeria as presently constituted is not working. It does not take a genius to realise that we are a failed project.

I endorse the outcome of this 'August Meeting' it is for greater good..

The governors have no liver
The communique is both vain and vague.

The North wont wont bat a lid...

Any day they want to engage the North...
they should let us know.

For now, they have wasted some of the monies they need to pay their workers on a jamboree.

\

1 Like

Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by Vutseck(m): 10:42am On Oct 24, 2017
gidgiddy:
Even if they like, let them hold 100 meetings. Nigeria will never be restructured and power will never be devolved to the states. The core North have more than enough elected officials to make sure that never happens.

North can only delay the processes of restructuring but they can't stop it as long as the South maintain their unity

except they hold on to power forever
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by bonechamberlain(m): 11:05am On Oct 24, 2017
critic007:

God bless you sir
bless u too.
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by bonechamberlain(m): 11:08am On Oct 24, 2017
BeeBeeOoh:
One million likes
thank you, people need to know that championing devolution of power and not championing constitutional review or change would lead us to no where
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by galaxy2020(m): 11:14am On Oct 24, 2017
....pls where is Rochas my governor? Sabo... ..
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by BeeBeeOoh(m): 11:18am On Oct 24, 2017
bonechamberlain:
thank you, people need to know that championing devolution of power and not championing constitutional review or change would lead us to no where
Ring the bell bro, na me that guy wey dey ur back now smiley

1 Like

Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by gidgiddy: 11:49am On Oct 24, 2017
OKDnigeria:

And must the north agree before we do anything in this country?

So you dont know? The core North has the largest voting block in the nation assembly. They have about 150 house of rep members and an Army of 40 Senators. Anyone who thinks that restrcturing or devolution of powers can happen without their say so is dreaming.

Chanel that energy you want to use in fighting for independence towards fighting for restructuring which is even easier.

We are better off in a restructured Nigeria than in a balkanized one

All I can is that if you choose one Nigeria with the North, you must forget restrcturing. You cannot eat your cake and have it
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by gidgiddy: 12:11pm On Oct 24, 2017
BakireBulmaker:

Please give me facts not wishful assumptions.

The fact is that before Nigeria can be restructured or powers devolved to states, it must be passed into law.

The core North (NW and NE) have a total of 150 reps in a 360 house of representatives(42%)

The also have an Army of 40 Senators (36%)

How will anyone get restructuring if these people dont buy the idea? Not possible
Re: Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers by BakireBulmaker: 12:16pm On Oct 24, 2017
gidgiddy:

The fact is that before Nigeria can be restructured or powers devolved to states, it must be passed into law.

The core North (NW and NE) have a total of 150 reps in a 360 house of representatives(42%)

The also have an Army of 40 Senators (36%)

How will anyone get restructuring if these people dont buy the idea? Not possible

What happened to simple majority

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

'I’m A Special Masquerade’ – Remi Tinubu / Malami Hires American Firms To Plant Pro-Buhari Oped In US Papers- Premium Times / Soldiers, Touts Clash In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.