Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,182 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

Food Shortages Ease In South West - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Food Shortages Ease In South West (2270 Views)

Nigeria's Forex Shortages The Way Out!! / Starving Biafrans Resorted To Cannibalism As Food Shortages Intensisfied / Petrol Shortages May Linger For Two Weeks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Food Shortages Ease In South West by otawa: 10:15am On Mar 16, 2010
Acute shortages of beef, peppers and tomatoes in parts of the South West began to ease yesterday as supplies started trickling in from the Northern parts of the country on Monday morning

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=168718

This is very alarming indeed.

The North can actually starve us to death.

I would expect all South West Governors to put measures in place.

This is to ensure we can self-sustain ourselves with these items: Beef, Pepper and Tomatoes.

They should establish 10 ranches in each states

They should establish pepper/Tomatoes plantations in each states.

But I know, nothing will be done until one-day the North will hold us to ransom!
Re: Food Shortages Ease In South West by mogentle(m): 11:49am On Mar 16, 2010
Thank God, No be Mala/Hausas get the crude oil, ,,.,
I wonder what would have happened.!
Re: Food Shortages Ease In South West by wondern(m): 12:02pm On Mar 16, 2010
What we need govt for on Agric is to facilitate Agric inputs. People are willing to go into mechanised farming but govt eye-service is killing people's morale.
Re: Food Shortages Ease In South West by asha80(m): 12:09pm On Mar 16, 2010
Introduce farm seettlements in the zone.I thought awolowo did something like that in his time so what happened to them?

And life is not all about corporate work or 'white collar jobs'.
Re: Food Shortages Ease In South West by DisGuy: 12:11pm On Mar 16, 2010
wondern:

What we need govt for on Agric is to facilitate Agric inputs. People are willing to go into mechanised farming but govt eye-service is killing people's morale.

wrong! people's impatience with return on agriculture is what is putting people off, Nigerians are used to quick money, who wants to wait for the raining season or that season when the people of ogun state what to throw party every other weekend
I think ogun state or ekiti should be sacrificed as the farmland of the SW that way the whole region gets enough food and export the rest  grin
Re: Food Shortages Ease In South West by asha80(m): 12:19pm On Mar 16, 2010
Dis Guy:

wrong! people's impatience with return on agriculture is what is putting people off, Nigerians are used to quick money, who wants to wait for the raining season or that season when the people of ogun state what to throw party every other weekend
I think ogun state or ekiti should be sacrificed as the farmland of the SW that way the whole region gets enough food and export the rest grin

Irrigation?
Re: Food Shortages Ease In South West by Kadejo(m): 12:29pm On Mar 16, 2010
Why ar U pple talking like dis? take things as if you ar the one. From North to dis side here, how much is the market they ar bringing over here dat dey would have to pay huge amount e.g. N50,000, N70,000 e.t.c on the road, before dey get to where d goods are to be delivered. Why cant u ask the Govt. what surt of stupid pple do dey set on d way to start collecting money from dem? I know some one would say Tax, Is dat same taxs dat POLICE COLLECTS, FRSC, CUSTOMS, and so called tax officers collect. I want u to belive dat it affects everybody including dem (The Northerners) becos dey cant have any money to spend.
       What I would like to say is dat, Order should be made for all dos dubious pple dat collects money on the road to move away or else, any truck stoped unnecessaryly should keep going and if care is not taking, those stupid pple may be injured.
Re: Food Shortages Ease In South West by DisGuy: 12:40pm On Mar 16, 2010
asha 80:

Irrigation?
Yup, so many rivers across the country and teh water levels is favourable in many places

Nigerians are not just patient enough, soooo much money can be made from agriculture but they want now now, most of the challenges have solutions but its not been made attractive enough. everyone wants a white collar, immediate profit job

You will notice the nig time agro-industrialist are old and experienced business men not young ones who have only one thing in their mind
Re: Food Shortages Ease In South West by DisGuy: 12:44pm On Mar 16, 2010
Kadejo:

Why ar U pple talking like dis? take things as if you ar the one. From North to dis side here, how much is the market they ar bringing over here dat dey would have to pay huge amount e.g. N50,000, N70,000 e.t.c on the road, before dey get to where d goods are to be delivered. Why cant u ask the Govt. what surt of silly pple do dey set on d way to start collecting money from dem? I know some one would say Tax, Is dat same taxs dat POLICE COLLECTS, FRSC, CUSTOMS, and so called tax officers collect. I want u to belive dat it affects everybody including dem (The Northerners) becos dey cant have any money to spend.
What I would like to say is dat, Order should be made for all dos dubious pple dat collects money on the road to move away or else, any truck stoped unnecessaryly should keep going and if care is not taking, those silly pple may be injured.

I personally think they should continue for another week or perhaps start again in March, until the state government do something. That way, traders irrespective of their products/origin will feel more comfortable doing business

With all the praise fashola is getting I wonder why he has not been questioned about the role of agberos in tax collection!! He has never spoken out against them or the police who openly collect money from traders!
Re: Food Shortages Ease In South West by asha80(m): 12:50pm On Mar 16, 2010
Dis Guy:

Yup, so many rivers across the country and teh water levels is favourable in many places

Nigerians are not just patient enough, soooo much money can be made from agriculture but they want now now, most of the challenges have solutions but its not been made attractive enough. everyone wants a white collar, immediate profit job

You will notice the nig time agro-industrialist are old and experienced business men not young ones who have only one thing in their mind

I actually think the reason for the dwindling agriculture in the south is because of the kind of system we are running (too much power at the center)

Yes i know the question is is the north still not involved in agricukture but you have to admit that the north even is producing food at a much lower rate they their potential.

What am i saying. . If we can revert back to regions or maybe a restructure on the kind of systems we are currently running it will be good for everyone in the long run because every region will be 'forced' to look for food or farm on food where it has comparative advantage more than the other regions so as to sustain itself.Let everyone control its resources believe me it will 'force' the regions back to agriculture rather than these handouts from abuja we are practising now.
Re: Food Shortages Ease In South West by Nobody: 2:19pm On Mar 16, 2010
i really dont see any reason why yorubas cant rear cattle.

in most countries i know of, farming and cattle rearing arent mutually exclusive, meaning if you farm then you can also raise different kinds of livestock at the same time.

these yahoo yahoo boys should be given agricultural training, land and encouraged to go into farming and animal husbandry as a way of rehabilitating them.

[s]some highly educated people do farm as well, so there's nothing exclusive about it.[/s]

and no, i didnt get this idea from becomerich.

i thought about it yesterday.
Re: Food Shortages Ease In South West by Fhemmmy: 3:50pm On Mar 16, 2010
What amazes me is that most of the states in Nigeria will do well in Agriculture, so i wonder how some region could hold others to ransom with what they can do themselves too
Re: Food Shortages Ease In South West by Okwyjesus(m): 4:00pm On Mar 16, 2010
We have burial this friday, no meat,no tomaotes,

When will they call-off the strike
Re: Food Shortages Ease In South West by Fhemmmy: 4:16pm On Mar 16, 2010
Okwyjesus:

We have burial this friday, no meat,no tomaotes,

When will they call-off the strike

This will tell people that all members of Nigeria are important, cos of some bad eggs is not enuf to call for end of Nigeria
Re: Food Shortages Ease In South West by kobikwelu(m): 4:56pm On Mar 16, 2010
those guys really drove home their point

and mehnnnn see the impact (and na only pepper and tomatoes oooo)

imagine what multiple taxation can cause.

i for one am against these theives filling their pockets all in the name of taxes
Re: Food Shortages Ease In South West by aaidel(m): 8:04pm On Mar 16, 2010
tpia.:

in most countries i know of, farming and cattle rearing arent mutually exclusive, meaning if you farm then you can also raise different kinds of livestock at the same time.

i think cos of tsetse flies thats what stopped the hausa/fulani from going beyond kwara apparently their horses kept dying it affects almost all animals except the west african nanny goat and few other animals but their should be a modern solution to this
Re: Food Shortages Ease In South West by aaidel(m): 8:05pm On Mar 16, 2010
tpia.:

in most countries i know of,  farming and cattle rearing arent mutually exclusive, meaning if you farm then you can also raise different kinds of livestock at the same time.

i think cos of tsetse flies thats what stopped the hausa/fulani from going beyond kwara apparently their horses kept dying it affects almost all animals except the west african nanny goat and few other animals but their should be a modern solution to this
Re: Food Shortages Ease In South West by TewMuch: 11:11pm On Mar 16, 2010
@ Poster,
I hope Nairaland terrorists realize North, South, East or West; we all have our positives and what we can offer. This will make us a very great country if the leaders will change, and the citizens act as one. Nigerians themselves are too complacent, and try to blame everyone but themselves for their problems. They need to believe in one Nigeria, and then tackle their problems from there. This is good, Nairaland terrorists and Nigeria traitors/haters take note!
Re: Food Shortages Ease In South West by okeyz(m): 8:36am On Mar 17, 2010
tpia.:

these yahoo yahoo boys should be given agricultural training, land and encouraged to go into farming and animal husbandry as a way of rehabilitating them.

[s]some highly educated people do farm as well, so there's nothing exclusive about it.[/s]

and no, i didnt get this idea from becomerich.

i thought about it yesterday.

grin u thought about becomerich and u got inspired, wey u r google map for emphasis !!
Re: Food Shortages Ease In South West by Nobody: 9:28am On Mar 17, 2010
So there was a give-and-take reltionship in the North-South brouhaha after all. Very interesting. The South can make the North bankrupt while the North can literally starve the South to death.

Maybe 'One Nigeria' isn't such an anomaly. Me thinks we should face the real evils bedeviling this country and just stop killing each other already!
Re: Food Shortages Ease In South West by olaoluwapopoola: 12:04pm On Mar 17, 2010
The sooner we realise the importance of agriculture,the better for everyone of us.everybody cannot be in govt,bank,corporate organisation,communication sector and the likes at the same time.for few region to be deprived of essential food items for whatever reason is nothing but balderdash.it now rest on our oars to learn from this event to develop agriculture massively in south west for we also have fertile lands for agriculture.this is a wake up call.thanks.
Re: Food Shortages Ease In South West by Nobody: 1:15pm On Mar 17, 2010
okeyz:

grin u thought about becomerich and u got inspired, wey u r google map for emphasis !!

you're jumping to conclusions.

I noticed becomerich had opened a similar thread when I logged in yesterday, before i made my post.

that's all.
Re: Food Shortages Ease In South West by Nobody: 1:17pm On Mar 17, 2010
@ topic

the west used to have their own commercially grown tomatoes and pepper.

All that is gone with the wind, I guess.

fast cash, visa queues and yahoo yahoo are the order of the day now.
Re: Food Shortages Ease In South West by Fhemmmy: 3:25pm On Mar 17, 2010
tpia.:

@ topic

the west used to have their own commercially grown tomatoes and pepper.

All that is gone with the wind, I guess.

fast cash, visa queues and yahoo yahoo are the order of the day now.

Well said, and now they are eating what they have planted.

(1) (Reply)

Gold Smuggling:kase Lawal's Brother Arrested In Congo / Court Frees Former MD Of Intercontinental Bank, Erastus Akingbola Of Corruption / Nothing Must Happen To Jonathan – Dokubo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.