Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,772 members, 7,831,481 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

"Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon (22759 Views)

Why Restructuring Is Mathematically Impossible In Nigeria / Restructuring Nigeria Is Not Buhari's Priority - FG / FG: Why Restructuring Won’t Work Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by seunjungle1(m): 4:46pm On Oct 28, 2017
I don't think gowon think before he utter a times.....

I thank God I don't belong to this Gowon family...the man is just so clueless, that was why he couldn't calm Biafra down under his watch.

1 Like

Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by umama23(f): 4:47pm On Oct 28, 2017
There is nothing that is impossible under the heavens, the advance nations have proven that over and over again but we are too slow minded to learn, too timid to try.

Restructuring is a progressive entity, we can agree on something if not everything. Let start somewhere.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by lukency(m): 4:49pm On Oct 28, 2017
Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by lukency(m): 4:51pm On Oct 28, 2017
If its not possible other alternatives should be explored. Abi na by force!

2 Likes

Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by seguno2: 4:52pm On Oct 28, 2017
castrol180:
good, agitators should please hear and digest that...

Do you realise that Gowon restructured Nigeria from four regions to 12 states in 1967?
If Gowon could do it 50 years ago, why can’t the people of Nigeria do it by themselves now?
Gowon needs to see a psychiatrist.

1 Like

Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by chineduemmao: 4:52pm On Oct 28, 2017
Nothing is ever possible in nigeria.
restructuring impossible, referendum imposible, seccesion imposible, fighting crime impossible! Gowon should just stop talking in media, he has been embaracing himself since this month. its obvious you are not intelligent no original idea can come to u, yes i know but must everybody know?

1 Like

Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by breakeven: 5:05pm On Oct 28, 2017
Its only a black man the talks of impossibility when even our God said nothing is impossible. Mumu kowe.
Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by Nobody: 5:06pm On Oct 28, 2017
Gowon is beginning to spew rubbish these days o....... beginning to loose respect for him
Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by breakeven: 5:07pm On Oct 28, 2017
chineduemmao:
Nothing is ever possible in nigeria.
restructuring impossible, referendum imposible, seccesion imposible, fighting crime impossible! Gowon should just stop talking in media, he has been embaracing himself since this month. its obvious you are not intelligent no original idea can come to u, yes i know but must everybody know?
Even when his people are being slautered every day in plateau. All this mumu leaders sef.
Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by WaffenSS(m): 5:08pm On Oct 28, 2017
dealslip:
But this thing is not difficult now. Just return to what we practiced before the 1966 coup. Even if there are 5000 ethnic groups at least we all knew what region each belonged to. What is complex about that. I just think this is deliberate ignorance.

The world is moving forward, you people want to take us back 6 decades.

The same old structure is what led to the coups, counter coups and the civil war because the same disgruntlement we see now is what persisted even back then.

Most of the people here clamoring for restructuring all the way to the past weren't even born back then.

The 1960s are long over. Move on.

Nigeria is the only country in the world thinking of moving backwards.

4 Likes

Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by aniblue(m): 5:10pm On Oct 28, 2017
Thats absurd, what do you mean by 500 languages? What concerns languagues with true and fiscal federalism?
Every state should develop their resources and bring certain percentages to the centre, stop fooling people, go and enjoy your pension while waiting for your day, allow the young generation to take over Nigeria,

1 Like

Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by castrol180(m): 5:12pm On Oct 28, 2017
seguno2:

Do you realise that Gowon restructured Nigeria from four regions to 12 states in 1967?
If Gowon could do it 50 years ago, why can’t the people of Nigeria do it by themselves now?
Gowon needs to see a psychiatrist.

That what he did then is state creation, and not restructuring and it was initiated by baba Awolowo, the minister for finance/vice president to Gowon in order to make the country easier to rule for him if he later got the mantle of power as a democratical elected president.
Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by gabicon: 5:16pm On Oct 28, 2017
Maybe we need to be specific, we want a restructuring of how we develop and our finances. we are tired of waiting for abuja to repair our roads, give us electricity, approve our vehicles n drivers licence, give us portable water etc. It is high time we start fending for ourselves instead of waiting for Manna coming from Abuja.

1 Like

Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by AyakaDunukofia: 5:17pm On Oct 28, 2017
Gowon is not mentally and intellectually focused. Has anyone observed that whenever there is political uncertainty, Gowon would join the bandwagon of those who wants a restructured federation and would even give good reasons for such?

In the thick of IPOB's popularity, the Panshin man, GOWON conceded it was time to reorganize one Nigeria. But now that his instincts are telling him Ipob has been silenced, Gowon has begun to insult Ojukwu and telling you that restructuring is a no no.

The man is not disciplined, he believes in nothing. No wonder he went Aburi, agreed on something, then came back to Lagos 3 days after and began to sing a different song. He is a complete waste.

1 Like

Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by adebayo4ng(m): 5:18pm On Oct 28, 2017
I guess this is old age syndrome.
Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by seguno2: 5:24pm On Oct 28, 2017
castrol180:
That what he did then is state creation, and not restructuring and it was initiated by baba Awolowo, the minister for finance/vice president to Gowon in order to make the country easier to rule for him if he later got the mantle of power as a democratical elected president.

How is state creation not a form of restructuring?
Awolowo had nothing to do with the 12 states restructuring done by Gowon.
You can read Gowon’s motivation for his restructuring below:

In a move to check the influence of Ojukwu's government in the East, Gowon announced on 5 May 1967 the division of the 3 Nigerian regions into 12 states: North-Western State, North-Eastern state, Kano State, North-Central State, Benue-Plateau State, Kwara State, Western State, Lagos State, Mid-Western State, and, from Ojukwu's Eastern Region, a Rivers State, a South-Eastern State, and an East-Central State. The non-Igbo South-Eastern and Rivers states which had the oil reserves and access to the sea, were carved out to isolate the Igbo areas as East-Central state.[6]

One controversial aspect of this move was Gowon's annexing of Port Harcourt, a large city in the Niger Delta, in the South of Nigeria (the Ikwerres and Ijaws), sitting on some of Nigeria's largest reserves, into the new Rivers State, emasculating the migrant Igbo population of traders there. The flight of many of them back to their villages in the "Igbo heartland" in Eastern Nigeria where they felt safer was alleged to be a contradiction for Gowon's "no victor, no vanquished" policy, when at the end of the war, the properties they left behind were claimed by the Rivers State indigenes.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakubu_Gowon
Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by CaptainFM1: 5:29pm On Oct 28, 2017
Oga Gowon, if restructuring is not possible, secession will!

1 Like

Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by castrol180(m): 5:43pm On Oct 28, 2017
seguno2:

How is state creation not a form of restructuring?
Awolowo had nothing to do with the 12 states restructuring done by Gowon.
You can read Gowon’s motivation for his restructuring below:

Ok! restructuring is to everybody, what they think it is. Mind you restructuring which people are clamouring for these days is source control and nothing more...
Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by onyidon22(m): 5:54pm On Oct 28, 2017
yeyerolling:
welcome to nigeria where the average man has low IQ, they scammed u in 2015, 2019 is coming they are screaming restructure, the low IQ nigeria now believes restructuring would solve corruption, nepotism, inflation of contract,unemployment, bad road, lack of power, crappy health system. Gosh who do us like this

what is this one saying?

1 Like

Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by breakeven: 6:08pm On Oct 28, 2017
WaffenSS:

The world is moving forward, you people want to take us back 6 decades.

The same old structure is what led to the coups, counter coups and the civil war because the same disgruntlement we see now is what persisted even back then.

Most of the people here clamoring for restructuring all the way to the past weren't even born back then.

The 1960s are long over. Move on.

Nigeria is the only country in the world thinking of moving backwards.

Its only a northerner that think like this.
Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by sirkaebs: 6:10pm On Oct 28, 2017
dealslip:
But this thing is not difficult now. Just return to what we practiced before the 1966 coup. Even if there are 5000 ethnic groups at least we all knew what region each belonged to. What is complex about that. I just think this is deliberate ignorance.
Hahahaha... my sister tell them o. I don't know what's difficult there to do.

1 Like

Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by excel101(m): 6:12pm On Oct 28, 2017
Must you always comment on every issues. By the way it was in you time as the Head of State that Nigeria had alot of money but no well Structured ideas to use the money. Who told Gowon that its not possible, or did you tried it before that it did not work. Better close your mouth and see how it will work if implemented. Its Gowon & Obj that put us where we're today.
Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by sirkaebs: 6:13pm On Oct 28, 2017
kolnel:
That’s why it will be hard for Nigeria to move forward
Too much parasitic states
You obviously did not make sense and was about sounding like one who is anticipating for a begin of attack and tribalism. That's why u had no like, trust me.
Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by Nobody: 6:18pm On Oct 28, 2017
All this 0% IQ Nigeria leaders. Some people should be ashamed of thier name being mentioned in Nigeria news.
Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by WOCKHARDI(m): 6:21pm On Oct 28, 2017
Sir, nothing is impossible since it was possible to restructure the country from 4 regions to 12 (by you, Sir) , then to 19, and so on to the present 36 states.What is sacrosanct about the present structure?
Since the Army is supposed to have left the scene ( or haven't you? ), let's go back to the system we were operating before you people's intervention. The present six geopolitical zones is a good starting point.
After all, if the Aburi Accord was implemented, we won't be talking about restructuring by now.
Weren't the 500 ethnic nationalities comfortable under the regions. Actually the creation of states by the Military regimes has motives far far away from pacifying the minorities. So please don't play the minorities card here.

1 Like

Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by MrMystrO(m): 6:21pm On Oct 28, 2017
yeyerolling:
welcome to nigeria where the average man has low IQ, they scammed u in 2015, 2019 is coming they are screaming restructure, the low IQ nigeria now believes restructuring would solve corruption, nepotism, inflation of contract,unemployment, bad road, lack of power, crappy health system. Gosh who do us like this

Jesus! My brother i thought i was the only one thinking like this. Damn!!

1 Like

Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by WaffenSS(m): 6:26pm On Oct 28, 2017
breakeven:

Its only a northerner that think like this.

If thinking progressively is a crime i plead guilty.

Meanwhile you can go backwards all you want, or remain static in a world in flux.

1 Like

Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by Mydazz(m): 6:27pm On Oct 28, 2017
There's no political structure or restructuring that we can't go back to, the ethnic composition is not a problem since everyone once belonged somewhere the only problem is if our politician will let that happen.
It's true that we have different ideas of federalism, but we know that top of these different interpretation is fiscal federalism,...... it's pretty simple, reduce the items on the exclusive list to things that should only be exclusive in a 21st century democracy.
Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by archipelago: 6:30pm On Oct 28, 2017
The 500 ethnic groups has nothing to do with restructuring. We had regions before the military came in and heavens did not fall then. Are the ethnic groups increasing on daily basis? Are they not still the groups we had then that we are having now? What is difficult there? Please let us have these restructuring now.
Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by talk2percy(m): 6:33pm On Oct 28, 2017
Stupid man...u are one of the problems of this country..look at what a useless elderly statesman is saying?? No wonder u couldn't comprehend a sentence Ojukwu constructed and yet signed. Oluku
Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by Plusstreet(m): 6:37pm On Oct 28, 2017
irepnaija4eva:
By Anthony Ogbonna

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/10/restructuring-nigeria-impossible-says-gowon/
when the righteous are in power, the people rejoice. God please don't allow me go near power or position of influence if i am intellectually lazy and lacking in capacity for this will lead to much blood shed and i'll have tainted hands that'll push me to be running around praying when am supposed to be mentoring the youths on good leadership at my old age. Let the blood shed continue. our think tank has said it is impossible. I continue to say we deserve what we get as leaders.
Re: "Why Restructuring Nigeria Is Impossible" - Gowon by Litmus: 6:45pm On Oct 28, 2017
Minority tribes would be foolish to support restructuring that advocates regionalism if regionalism abolishes states. What you want, the place that Democracy is headed ,is devaluation of power to ever more people, to the grass roots as it were. In one sense, isn't the majority secessionist movement worldwide all about decentralising power from larger polities to smaller ones in order for development to reach the most people. In this sense, although Sates creation is expensive it is the ideal if tribes want more representation in Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PDP Postpones SW Congress, Moves Venue To Osogbo / Is Wike Considering Dumping PDP & Joining APC? (Video) / Governor Otti Spent ₦‎927 Million On Meals, ₦‎25 Million On Public Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.