Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,157 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:57 AM

How To Build A Quadcopter - Science/Technology (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How To Build A Quadcopter (42481 Views)

I Want To Build A Rechargable Unit / Component Used In Making Quadcopter / Learn How To Build A Fuelless Generator And Make Money This Year (video)!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by RCDIY(m): 11:05am On Jan 25, 2018
obongtunji:

I'm also interested

Please email me too
Samcarnival@yahoo.com

Mail sent.

Thank you
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by RCDIY(m): 3:46pm On Feb 01, 2018
Hello.
Still thanking all who contacted me with queries about this topic. I am grateful for you interests/criticism.

After test-flying the last build, I was quite impressed by the hardware and wanted to proceed with the next phase; advanced flight modes.
1. WP (Waypoints)
With WP feature, the Quadcopter is supposed to be able to fly a pre-planned mission on a pre-set parameters (distance, altitude).

2. Follow-Me
This feature is supposed to make the craft follow the controller. This is done via constant update of GPS position passed to the FC through a Bluetooth or WiFi connectivity.
Unfortunately, I had a short circuit which fried the FC and GPS module.
I've ordered for replacement and will hopefully pick them tomorrow.

Updates will come as soon as I get everything set.

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by jimmyroger: 7:39am On Feb 02, 2018
Hi please can you give me the estimate to build a quad copter and lists of items needed.. Thanks my mail is Jimmyroger2000@gmail.com
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by RCDIY(m): 1:39pm On Feb 03, 2018
jimmyroger:
Hi please can you give me the estimate to build a quad copter and lists of items needed.. Thanks my mail is Jimmyroger2000@gmail.com

Mail sent, bro
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by Simbrave: 1:58pm On Feb 03, 2018
RCDIY:

Mail sent, bro

Hi please can you give me the estimate to build a quad copter and lists of items needed.. Thanks my mail is simbravex@gmail.com
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by jimmyroger: 9:35pm On Feb 04, 2018
Pls what is the model of the controller are u using g for ur drones and can one controller controls several drones
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by RCDIY(m): 10:10pm On Feb 04, 2018
jimmyroger:
Pls what is the model of the controller are u using g for ur drones and can one controller controls several drones

I use Turnigy 9X with an CH 8. But the module has history of poor performance. Also, it lacks 'Failsafe' feature.
So, I upgrade to Frsky DJT module and compatible receivers. The module fits into the Turnigy 9X. Performance has greatly improved.

I also replaced stock firmware on the TX with ER9X custom firmware. This added more features to it.

And Yes, one TX can control many drones but not at one. I have just one TX but have 4 crafts now.

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by RCDIY(m): 9:34pm On Feb 05, 2018
After damaging the GPS on my 500mm AP rig, I finally got a replacement.
I haven't flown the bird since it crashed (due to disorientation).
I also haven't been so keen on fly a 500 after experiencing the speed and agility of 220/250 quadcopters.

Well, I've fixed it up while waiting for parts for the 250mm.
I also got a 220mm frame. Will start the build in march when parts (including a new Transmitter) are expected to arrive.

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by mizzygray(m): 1:44am On Feb 09, 2018
RCDIY:

Mail sent.

Thank you

I'm also very much interested, my mail:
uzormoses@hotmail.com
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by tundeport(m): 3:00am On Feb 09, 2018
How can l be part of this student to know about it,i want to learn this project pls,can anyone help please.call me or whazup me 08039705566 thanks
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by RCDIY(m): 11:54am On Feb 09, 2018
tundeport:
How can l be part of this student to know about it,i want to learn this project pls,can anyone help please.call me or whazup me 08039705566 thanks

Will contact you.
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by mizzygray(m): 12:49am On Feb 11, 2018
RCDIY:

Will contact you.

Got ur mail thanks.

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by RCDIY(m): 10:01pm On Feb 11, 2018
RCDIY:
After damaging the GPS on my 500mm AP rig, I finally got a replacement.
I haven't flown the bird since it crashed (due to disorientation).

So I had a hover at the backyard with a 3300mah 3S battery. (No gimbal and camera)
I took about 3 minutes to acquire solid GPS lock. Quite impressive for a clone GPS module.
The battery lasted 12 minutes. I plan getting a 4S 4200mah battery later to try achieving 20 minutes like DJI drones.

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by RCDIY(m): 9:12pm On Feb 14, 2018
Batteries
Drones are mostly powered by lithium based batteries. (Lipo - lithium polymer, LiFe - lithium ion).
These batteries have a high power to weight ratio.

To achieve good flight time, it's imperative to choose battery type/capacity wisely.
A rule of thumb in quadcopters is to keep the weight as low as possible.
Lipos are the preferred choice for a number of reasons.

I will shed more light in the next post.
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by Jamzig1(m): 8:21am On Feb 17, 2018
RCDIY:

Mail sent.

Thank you
Hello, Please I would need the breakdown too ozigij@gmail.com
Thanks
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by kogiguy(m): 5:30pm On Feb 17, 2018
please contact me on the price. isahmuhammadfarouk@gmail.com
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by RCDIY(m): 8:14pm On Feb 17, 2018
Jamzig1:
Hello, Please I would need the breakdown too ozigij@gmail.com
Thanks

Mail sent.
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by RCDIY(m): 8:15pm On Feb 17, 2018
kogiguy:
please contact me on the price. isahmuhammadfarouk@gmail.com

Mail sent.
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by RCDIY(m): 8:27pm On Feb 17, 2018
RCDIY:
Batteries
Drones are mostly powered by lithium based batteries. (Lipo - lithium polymer, LiFe - lithium ion).
I will shed more light in the next post.

Lithium polymer batteries are commonly used in consumer electronics such as your smartphone, laptops, and tablets.

The two main possible alternatives to LiPo batteries are Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) and Nickel Cadmium (NiCd) batteries. LiPo (lithium polymer) batteries offer significant advantages over other types of batteries. The advantages that LiPo batteries offer over NiCd and NiMH batteries are:
-higher capacities which allows them to hold more power
-higher discharge rates allowing faster power transfer
-lighter and can be made in different shapes and sizes.

However, LiPo batteries also have some drawbacks. These include:

-shorter lifespan of about 300 to 400 cycles, as compared to NiMH and NiCd batteries
-more delicate and dangerous. For instance, if punctured and vents into the air, there is a possibility that this could result in a fire so extra care needs to be taken when charging, discharging, or storing LiPo batteries.
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by RCDIY(m): 7:30am On Feb 22, 2018
RCDIY:
Hello...
Here's an update on the 250mm quadcopter build.

A heads-up for people who didn't start with us on the thread but who are interested in more details, I planned a build based on an F1 FC with a 250mm frame for fast flights.
Over time, I've made changes.
1. 20a ESCs to replace the initial 30a to cut a little weight.
2. F3 Flight controller in place of F1. This will allow us expand the features of the copter later.
3. PPM receiver in place of PWM since F3 FC doesn't support PWM directly.
4. iNAV firmware instead of Betaflight to avail me GPS-based like RTH, ALTHLD and WP.

I eventually performed a test flight this afternoon and the craft flew impressively. It's easily the fastest thing I've built.

I will discuss iNAV firmware, the Omnibus F3 and their features later.

I couldn't take much pictures since I went to field alone

So, I'm doing upgrades on this build:

BlHeli ESC in place of SimonK
A new frame (260mm)
New FC (previous one damaged)
New GPS (previous one damaged)

I have achieved stability in 3D on this setup and will now aim for Waypoint missions.

Parts will be delivered by tomorrow. Will hopefully be having a test flight by Saturday

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by DJIUAV: 7:52am On Feb 22, 2018
Good, every practice is a success and progress. smiley smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by RCDIY(m): 7:42pm On Feb 23, 2018
RCDIY:

So, I'm doing upgrades on this build:

The ESCs and FC have been received.
I also got a PDB but I won't be needing it on this frame since it has a PDB already. There isn't a 5v output on it but the ESCs have 5v available so that settles it.

I just finished some soldering. I will install the motors next.

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by RCDIY(m): 7:01am On Feb 24, 2018
Motors installed.
Flight controller mounted.
ESCs fixed, upgraded and tested.

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by DJIUAV: 9:15am On Feb 24, 2018
Good tutorial
RCDIY:
A quadcopter, also called a quadrotor helicopter or quadrotor, is basically a multi-blade helicopter that is lifted and propelled by four rotors. Quadcopters are classified as rotorcraft, as opposed to fixed-wing aircraft, because their lift is generated by a set of vertically oriented propellers.

Quadcopters generally use two pairs of identical fixed pitched propellers; two clockwise (CW) and two counterclockwise (CCW) se. These use independent variation of the speed of each rotor to achieve control. By changing the speed of each rotor it is possible to specifically generate a desired total thrust; to locate for the centre of thrust both laterally and longitudinally; and to create a desired total torque, or turning force.

Quadcopters are not new. There are several models on sale from various vendors.
Sizes range from tiny machines that can fit into a man's pocket to full-sized models able to lift a full grown man.
These are either flown for fun or used to make aerial photography.

Building a quadcopter on your own is quite an interesting project and requires a lot of work. Basic soldering skills is an advantage.
I can tell since I have made several models.

Basically you would need the following:
Frame (Different sizes available)
Motors (Different sizes here too)
Propellers
ESCs
Battery
Transmitter
Receiver
Battery charger

The idea of this thread is to guide and provide support to interested persons from parts acquisition through to the actually working model.

Hopefully, we can get some machines to fly and have lots of fun in the process.

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by RCDIY(m): 4:11pm On Feb 24, 2018
DJIUAV:
Good tutorial

Thanks!
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by RCDIY(m): 1:41am On Feb 25, 2018
RCDIY:
Motors installed.
Flight controller mounted.
ESCs fixed, upgraded and tested.

All done.
The build is complete. For special lighting effect, I added a programmable RGB led strip.
I installed an FPV camera and VTX too.

During bench test, I was unable to get solid GPS lock so FC couldn't arm. I will try outdoors tomorrow. Hopefully, we'll run as expected

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by RCDIY(m): 4:54pm On Mar 09, 2018
So, it's been 2 weeks. I was unable to post any updates due to tedious schedules... We also welcomed our daughter to the world!

After a successful test flight, I ignorantly proceeded with WAYPOINT MISSION. The result? A nasty crash. I was lucky to recover the craft in bits and pieces.

An integrity test of all components confirmed none was killed. The frame and the battery, however, took the hit.

Further research taught me I needed to get the magnetometer working perfectly, try out POSHLD and RTH before attempting WP.

It took me a while to put it back together and adjust the GPS till magnetometer worked ok.

I had a test flight earlier and the results were awesome.

I have only one good battery now. I will check out WP once I've recharged.

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by RCDIY(m): 10:00am On Mar 27, 2018
Hello again!
I've been off the skies since my last flight; I killed a ESC while testing a feature in my backyard (kinda small area so ...) I'll do all test flights in the field from now on.
Unfortunately, I got only 4 of that particular ESC so no spare. I've since placed an order but will have to wait at least 20 days to receive them.

Meanwhile, I thought about ways to further reduce cost of this project for anyone interested. I've tried a number of materials but the best so far is circuit boards... Large ones.

It takes a lot of work but the results are splendid and well worth the effort. The only issue is the weight. The model I just completed weights 500g already! I'll find a way to reduce weight further though.

I'll get the one I made now to fly on my old stuff and see how well it performs.

See pictures below..

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by RCDIY(m): 10:22am On Mar 27, 2018
RCDIY:

See pictures below..

Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by RCDIY(m): 7:36am On Apr 14, 2018
Hello... It's been a while and a whole lot has happened.

I've been flying the 220mm frame on iNav all these while and it's been great.
Only limiting factor is battery. I presently have just one battery (3300mah) for this size of frame.
On PTP hover, it stays in the air for an average of 17 minutes.
I planned and completed a 1km mission and didn't run out of juice.

I've upgraded my Transmitter to a Taranis and configured telemetry. Now, I get real-time flight info like battery level, altitude and GPS coordinates.

I am getting a new HD camera for aerial photography soon. For that, I will begin working on a new frame based on the designs I shared in the previous post.

Questions are always welcome
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by RCDIY(m): 6:55pm On May 07, 2018
So I found a flying club in Abuja!
I've always thought I'd never fly fixed wings due to there space requirements but I might just have a change of heart after seeing these guys in action.

They've got mostly fixed wings and some are quite fast! The chairman also has a jet powered plane.
I hope I'll see it fly someday.
Re: How To Build A Quadcopter by RCDIY(m): 6:56am On May 11, 2018
Below are pictures of a 330mm quad made from discarded PCB.
On this frame, I used an F4 flight controller and also installed an HD camera. I am yet to have a test flight but if this flies well, I intend using it for AP from heights up to 800m.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Top Six Most Endangered Animals In Nigeria(pics, Video) / SpaceX Rocket Explosion Destroys Facebook Satellite / Top 10 Most Mysterious Planets (known) In The Observable Universe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.