Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:42 AM

Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra (10877 Views)

Willie Obiano And Wife, Ebelechukwu Chilling In The US. Photos / Enugu Government’s Footprint On Eswama Dump Site / Okorocha, Obiano And Emefiele At NEC Meeting (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by nex(m): 7:32am On Oct 31, 2017
Vision, strategy and courage are some of the important qualities that help define quality leadership, often transforming a leader into a statesman in his/her chosen area of endeavour, and such is the case of Willie Obiano in Anambra State.

While vision informs strategy, courage ensures action or implementation in a manner akin to childbirth and nurture. Men do not become great by nature, greatness is only attained by nurture.

As the November 18, 2017 date fixed by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for the Anambra State gubernatorial election draws near, it would be nice to juxtapose the achievements of the incumbent governor, HE Willie Obiano and his predecessor, Peter Obi on the area of infrastructure.

The desire to discuss infrastructure is because it’s one thing, which like education and security impacts on everyone, irrespective of social or economic status, religious, political or tribal inclination. As they say, when the rain falls, it does not fall on one man’s house. These three elements can make or mar, incapacitate or empower, depending on what the government of the day is able to do about them.

The objective here is to make an informed contribution as one in the know and to place things in proper perspective. If it guides the electorate to making the right decision at the forthcoming gubernatorial election, so be it.

But how does one compare three and half years with eight years? Maybe a click at the buttons of vision, strategy and courage will help. It is also good to note that one of the factors fueling popular agitation pan-Nigeria is poor infrastructure, particularly road network. It has become one of the defining factors of urban and rural areas in present day Nigeria.

The objective here is to make an informed contribution as one in the know and to place things in proper perspective. If it guides the electorate to making the right decision at the forthcoming gubernatorial election, so be it.

The major pain of Ndi Igbo has been how to carry on commerce in a conducive atmosphere. This is partly why the clamour for the second Niger Bridge has become an important political gimmick that leading political office seekers are clinging onto to deceive the populace and present themselves as pro-people. Politicians tell themselves, ‘just promise the second Niger Bridge and you have their votes.’

Political analysts see the importance of this piece of infrastructure in the composite socioeconomic benefits the people could derive therefrom, as being of gargantuan proportions.

This makes Obiano’s vision to deliver an Airport City for Anambra a worthy one. The Airport Project is being perceived as a socioeconomic catalyst, capable of reverberating across the southeast and even beyond, with major impacts expected in the areas of employment creation, commerce (local and international), localization of industries which would include oil and gas. This could only be coming from a visionary and strategic leader.

Umueri Airport City Project

A consideration of how long it took the Federal Government of Nigeria to make a move, largely seen as political and lip-service on the second Niger Bridge project will give an insight into what Obiano’s vision and courage to initiate an Airport City in Anambra, so soon after becoming Governor, means to Ndi Igbo. I think that this vision and the strategic execution are some of the things that rank Obiano as a visionary leader.

The most visionary card played by Obi in his eight-year tenure that can be said to have the potential to rub-off on the socioeconomic status of Anambra Stare like the Airport City is the Ikemba Square that leads into Onitsha from the Niger Bridge. Not being a government man, I cannot imagine the cost of the Ikemba Square, but cost alone does not determine value.

Citizens are quick to point out the iconic landscaping, decorative flyovers and footbridges that dot several commercial centres in Anambra State, particularly Awka, the state capital. People can hardly drive through Awka without beholding the beauty of the city as Obiano’s impact on infrastructure is hard not to notice. This is a legacy, particularly given how long it took to put the befitting structures in place and the quality of finishing that have helped to bestow on Awka a unique identity and dignity as a state capital.

To my mind, these are some of the things Obiano has done to transform Anambra into a first-choice investment destination and hub of commercial activities in Nigeria and by extension, West Africa.

Who would argue that with a memorandum of understanding already executed with the partners on the Airport City Project, namely, Orient Petroleum Resources Limited and Elite International Investment Limited for the $5 billion project, to be sited at Umueri, Anambra East Local Government, it shows that Obiano has achieved in months what Obi could not achieve in years? The joy and optimism which have greeted the project reflect how well it is accepted by the people.

Another point of commendation, which shows vision and strategy is the ability to attract partners. Getting partners from China, a country whose economic prowess is world-dominant for a State project is no mean feat. It flows that the more visionary and strategic a leader is, the easier it would be for him/her to attract the best for his/his people.

Igwe Cyril Enweze, Chairman, Anambra State Investment Promotion and Protection Agency (ANSIPPA) aptly voiced it out this way, “the project would promote rapid urbanisation and increase the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of Anambra State.”

Whereas Obi tried to open up some rural roads during his eight-year reign, most of the roads constructed by Obi have all carved-in, because they were done without adequate drainages. What Obiano has done is to ensure value for spend by delivering roads with good drainages. Those who know the topography of Anambra State will understand what a difference this can make. So Obiano’s roads can last 10 years before needing repairs but Obi’s caved in months after construction as the rains came. This is why Obiano embarked on operation “zero pot holes” to ensure Obi’s failing roads are fixed but this is what happens when a leader is focused more on cost cutting than value creating.

This has become imperative because it is palpable that a lot of Ndi Igbo share the opinion that if their kin that occupied top political positions since the return of democracy in 1999 had delivered the so called dividends of democracy to the southeast, the current agitation for sovereignty would probably not have surfaced. I add that top performance by governors in particular would have encouraged the Federal Government of Nigeria and compelled her to seek relevance in the southeast by delivering value to Ndi Igbo. I stand to be corrected.

This is why my thoughts at this time revolve around vision, strategy and courage as the backbone for quality leadership. If those who led (were elected into political positions; particularly the executive governors) in Igboland had over the years shown themselves visionaries, backed with strategic and courageous execution, projects like the Airport City powered by the Anambra Airport Infrastructure Company Limited would have sprung up in two or three places in Igboland before now and would have helped redefine the flow of commercial activities in Nigeria, thereby forcing the Federal Government to chase the Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) with back-up developmental projects. Economists talk of localisation of industries; probably this would come through as socioeconomic concentration.

It is important to note that Obiano has built bridges to connect the agric and oil and gas zones of the state to the mainland. This presents a platform to drive even further economic growth. His current focus on economic growth helped protect the state from the recession that ravaged the country in the past one year.

Inflow of Domestic direct investments (DDIs) helped infuse funds, jobs and economic activities into the state in the past 3 years such that its GDP grew at 14 to 15 % in the first 2 years and 1% in the last year at a time when the Nigerian economy grew at 6 to 7 and% and declined by about 1%. So Anambra was recession proof. Unlike what would have happened in the previous administration when instead of paying contractors, money was saved and the contractors pauperized, thus starving the economy of funds required to drive growth.

To my mind, vision, strategy and courage that Obiano exudes will always prevail over emotions and sentiments the previous Governor rode on to power and sadly seeks to use in picking another occupant for the Anambra State Government House, Awka. I am optimistic that Ndi Anambra can easily discern why Obiano’s indelible footprints on infrastructure have the potential to traverse the entire southeast.

SOURCE: http://www.barbaric.com.ng/willie-obiano-footprint-infrastructure-transcends-anambra-state

2 Likes

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by JON01: 8:39am On Oct 31, 2017
The man needs rest jhur

1 Like

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by PEPPERified: 8:41am On Oct 31, 2017
I can't believe this made FP.

Anyways, the truth be told, Awka is now a model capital city thanks to Obiano.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by luvinhubby(m): 8:42am On Oct 31, 2017
Anambra state is truly blessed with a governor like Obiano.

His vision and management of resources has properly positioned the state for greatness.

8 Likes

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by Qsscruz(m): 8:42am On Oct 31, 2017
The truth remains that while our democracy is yet to get to a laudable stage, there are some governors who deliver and Wille is one of them.. He is arguably the best governor in the SE zone (argue with your phone).. I am not against "choping" but if you must chop work and that way no one will complain.. Wille is working..

Note: The guy below is a hater..His type swims to enter his compund yet badmouths the effort of those trying..

6 Likes

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by Bluffly: 8:46am On Oct 31, 2017
All inner streets needs to be well developed as well. Until then, every other project is a show off.

6 Likes

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by pilarnig(m): 8:47am On Oct 31, 2017
Let's wait and see... Brown roof, red mud, Afonja man... grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by kay29000(m): 8:48am On Oct 31, 2017
Hmm
Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by Amarabae(f): 8:49am On Oct 31, 2017
God bless Anambra

4 Likes

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by Okoyiboz3: 8:50am On Oct 31, 2017
Considering the mediocre Governors in the SE, Obiano is the proverbial one-eyed man in the city of blind men.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by crestedaguiyi: 8:54am On Oct 31, 2017
1 road,different angles and pixels

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by PHIPEX(m): 8:56am On Oct 31, 2017
Obiano has done well by Nigerian standard. Obi also performed no doubt but I remember when the face of Awka was a major topic for discussion on Nairaland few years back, it was then compared to Lokoja as capitals that defy positive changes but Awka has woken from sleep.

I don't know why PDP is making the election a competition between Obi and Obiano thereby leaving Obaze, their candidate dumb in public. So far I haven't heard the Guy speak, hope it wouldn't be like Buhari that was kept away from public debate by APC only to later deny every promise made on his behalf.

4 Likes

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by Marotzke(m): 8:57am On Oct 31, 2017
crestedaguiyi:
1 road,different angles and pixels
Not just one road, but a federal government constructed and currently reconstructed Enugu /Onitsha express way.

What ever William Obiano did on that road ,both flyover and expansion will be refunded or has been refunded by the federal government.

If anyone is to use those roads for campaign, He is Muhammadu Buhari.
William Obiano should show us the roads that he constructed and their locations.
Not computer generated images of phantom airport cities and Federal Government projects in Anambra state.
Or is he ashamed to show us that the fully completed road projects are in Aguleri , his home town?

14 Likes

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by Nobody: 8:58am On Oct 31, 2017
How come Obiano is comparing himself to Obi all through the article kiss

Is Obi contesting an election or he is scared of what Obi can do

2 Likes

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by bugidon(m): 8:58am On Oct 31, 2017
We in anambra knows that obiano is a media friendly governor. Anambra is a mess compared to what you are seeing in the media. If you doubt me take a trip to onitsha and awka and see the state of the local roads and infrastructure over there. #obianoisascam

12 Likes

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by jayriginal: 8:58am On Oct 31, 2017
Empty rhetoric as usual from politicians.

Imagine claiming an MOU as an achievement? Some will still fall for it.

7 Likes

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by Felixtuta(m): 8:59am On Oct 31, 2017
God have mercy. anyone playing dirty politics in our own Anambra State, knows he has intellectuals to compete with.

Obiano is good but most of the thing on this article are fake and a big lie.

you guys are using an airport construction as a campaign promise again while you did nothing on that during your first tenor.

All road project this administration started none is compete, not even the once in his wife's community Ogbunike.

Let Ndi Anambra decide.

14 Likes

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by ignatiusez: 9:03am On Oct 31, 2017
Are you people not ashamed? Same propaganda bridge from different angles after almost 4years in power with over N400billion revenue? Is this all you can offer Anambrarians? Shame on you all, especially those who have sold their conscience for a pot of porridge. We expect you to post pictures of different road projects completed in different towns and villages, hospitals and schools commissioned, water schemes completed, electricity projects commissioned, etc. How could you be posting 3D pictures of an airport project that has not been started? It shows you have nothing to offer, God will judge all of you.

11 Likes

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by 8figure(m): 9:07am On Oct 31, 2017
This man is laced with heavy weight propaganda, believe me ,I witnessed a road that he commissioned and built on a big signboard . the road leading from Gra to 3-3. He used money for the job to build and commission big signboard, while leaving the road. No single road built in Onitsha, the one army engineers were handling around ezenwa were abandoned after building drainage. Onitsha looks like dump site. I can't even move about in the evening without covering my nose with handkerchief.

12 Likes

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by nanotechy: 9:08am On Oct 31, 2017
Hmmmm... E be like say Obiano don start to dey pay Seun campaign moni. Kontinu! If em like make em carry em campaign go CNN, he must be kicked out. Ndi Anambra have zero tolerance for under performers and propagandists!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by Omofunaab2: 9:10am On Oct 31, 2017
Na only one road wey dey see

2 Likes

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by gtrader: 9:11am On Oct 31, 2017
Stop wasting space on Nairaland, you can never compare Peter's first tenure and Willie's first tenure. Peter Obi came to Anambra with a vision and he actualized 70% of that vision, but Willie has no vision or drive, opportunity brought him in as the Governor. There are basically no heavy achievements u can use to promote Willie other than "Paying of Salary". Peter Obi started building schools, hospitals, roads in his first tenure...Peter rested more on his second tenure when he learnt Anambra money sharing politics, which Willie is doing now. Incase you don't know I am from Anambra, precisely Enugwu-Ukwu and infact my kinsman is the Deputy-Governor. I know Anambra very well, I have 3 hostels at Unizik and one at Oko poly...I also have a very large farm at Willie Obiano's LG. Lots of other investments in Anambra, so I tour round the state when I'm around.

There are other dirty information which I can't share here for the sake of Willie and my brother....Government house is just like a bedroom visit to me.

Forget what Ifeanyi Anago and co are doing on Facebook... Willie enjoys life more than his work as the Governor, while Peter Obi enjoyed working more...

I wish Willie and my bro luck...I pray they win!

12 Likes

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by malcom2x(m): 9:13am On Oct 31, 2017
It's quite unreasonable for you to rubbish your predecessor, Mr. Obi just because you are campaigning for a rerun. Forgetting how his credibility brought you into power. The comparison is nor needed at all for any reason. This is immaturity. You both served at different times and tackled pressing issues those times. Your fear of loosing should not force you to create more enemies. Your works should speak for you. We've gone past the era of government being praised for discharging their duties like payment of salaries, putting street lights, digging boreholes and stuffs like that. Electorates should grow up too, you will never see shii like dis except during campaigns.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by wildchild02: 9:13am On Oct 31, 2017
Too long to read

Check my signature to order your football jerseys and get it customized FREE OF CHARGE!
Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by bubulistic(m): 9:17am On Oct 31, 2017
Apart from Security and Agriculture... What else??..... Some one will open mouth and say he brought investors to Anambra...... Inter-fact breweries, shoprite etc were all brought by Obi.... Anambra was booming academically under Obi.... In summary, he is living on Obi's success

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by Feraz(m): 9:22am On Oct 31, 2017
This same bridge for campaign? Is that the only thing Obiano did for his three and half years?

2 Likes

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by UfuomaUN(m): 9:23am On Oct 31, 2017
Marotzke:
Not just one road, but a federal government constructed and currently reconstructed Enugu /Onitsha express way.

What ever William Obiano did on that road ,both flyover and expansion will be refunded or has been refunded by the federal government.

If anyone is to use those roads for campaign, He is Muhammadu Buhari.
William Obiano should show us the roads that he constructed and their locations.
Not computer generated images of phantom airport cities and Federal Government projects in Anambra state.
Or is he ashamed to show us that the fully completed road projects are in Aguleri , his home town?

You seriously think the Federal govts refunds money spent on Fed road projects

2 Likes

Re: Judging Willie Obiano And His Footprint On Infrastructure Transcends Anambra by CHANNELStv2020: 9:24am On Oct 31, 2017
NNA NO ELECTION,GO N FIND OTHER JOB

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

‘NHIS On The Brink Of Collapse’ – Governing Council Raises The Alarm / Oby Ezekwesili: "Citizens Of Nigeria Are Not Ready For Good Governance" / Bwala: Polls Giving Obi Victory Are "419 Polls"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.