Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,755 members, 7,831,429 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:36 PM

Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain (38754 Views)

Doctor Stephen Ijeuwe Collapses, Dies In FMC Yenogoa Over Lack Of Defibrillator / How Lack Of Sleep Can Affect Your Health. / How To Train Your Brain To Stop Worrying ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by handsomeyinka(m): 11:08pm On Nov 03, 2017
This theory is for the white people cos they live good in the western world (less stress)..
Come Nigeria,it won't work..Nepa stress,,traffic stress,,transportation stress at d bus stop,,Job stress,,school fees stress,,landlord stress,, mistress stress,,landlord association stress,,vigilante stress,sex stress,salary stress,tithe stress,,girlfriend stress,,dstv stress,,mechanic stress,,buhari stress,,ambode stress and now the new toll gate stress...

Now tell me,how would you rest...if you keep sleeping like this,it might lead to Rest in Peace...

3 Likes

Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by FitnessDoctor: 11:08pm On Nov 03, 2017
Dramadiddy:
fitnessdoctor i have issues sleeping.. can stay up till almost 4am sometimes then later sleep in the morning, but its hard to sleep at night,, what is the remedy

There are actually many reasons why you are finding it hard to sleep.

1. You engage in mental work at night which keeps your brain active.
2. You have once or twice stayed awake into the night for a long time length and your brain is now programmed to stay awake into the night and sleep in the day.

Remedies
1. Create a bedtime schedule and stick to it (I mean decide when you want to sleep and when you want to wake)
2. Take a bath 30 mins or 1 hour before going to bed.

2 Likes

Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by Caseless: 11:08pm On Nov 03, 2017
Favorite health blogger? Who tell you say I have bloggers to say I have you as my favorite?

Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by Dramadiddy(m): 11:09pm On Nov 03, 2017
FitnessDoctor:

2. You have once or twice stayed awake into the night for a long time length and your brain is now programmed to stay awake into the night and sleep in the day.

Remedies
1. Create a bedtime schedule and stick to it (I mean decide when you want to sleep and when you want to wake)
2. Take a bath 30 mins or 1 hour before going to bed.

thank you
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by FitnessDoctor: 11:14pm On Nov 03, 2017
Dramadiddy:
fitnesdoctor i have issues sleeping.. can stay up till almost 4am sometimes then later sleep in the morning, but its hard to sleep at night,, what is the remedy

Remedies
2. Take a bath 30 mins or 1 hour before going to bed. This will help relax your mind and body and bathing some minutes before going to bed will help you fall asleep faster.
3. Relax yourself. Don't give your brain any mental work (I mean thoughts, emotions and actions)
4. Make your room darker
5. Stay off electronics like phone, tv
6. Don't force yourself to fall asleep, simply relax
7. If you are still finding it hard to fall asleep, then you can add sex to it. An ejaculation would force your body to release anti-depressants which would help you fall asleep, or you can go for a jog (you can also jog in one place), this will also force your body to release anti-depressants. You can do that before having your bath.
8. Stick to it. If it doesn't work for you immediately, you just have to keep doing it. It might take 1 or 2 weeks for you to start falling asleep at night, so if you give up just after a few days then you are never getting anywhere except you want to start taking sleeping pills.

Hope it helps.

Stay Healthy, Stay Wise
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by mhizsuzzy(f): 11:15pm On Nov 03, 2017
Dramadiddy:
fitnessdoctor i have issues sleeping.. can stay up till almost 4am sometimes then later sleep in the morning, but its hard to sleep at night,, what is the remedy

Remedy is leave ur phone.........
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by FitnessDoctor: 11:15pm On Nov 03, 2017
Caseless:
Favorite health blogger? Who tell you say I have bloggers to say I have you as my favorite?

If I am not already, I hope to be one day.
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by FitnessDoctor: 11:16pm On Nov 03, 2017
Dramadiddy:

thank you

Sorry that is not everything there was a problem with network, here it is.

Remedies
2. Take a bath 30 mins or 1 hour before going to bed. This will help relax your mind and body and bathing some minutes before going to bed will help you fall asleep faster.
3. Relax yourself. Don't give your brain any mental work (I mean thoughts, emotions and actions)
4. Make your room darker
7. If you are still finding it hard to fall asleep, then you can add sex to it. An ejaculation would force your body to release anti-depressants which would help you fall asleep, or you can go for a jog (you can also jog in one place), this will also force your body to release anti-depressants. You can do that before having your bath.
8. Stick to it. If it doesn't work for you immediately, you just have to keep doing it. It might take 1 or 2 weeks for you to start falling asleep at night, so if you give up just after a few days then you are never getting anywhere except you want to start taking sleeping pills.

Hope it helps.

Stay Healthy, Stay Wise

1 Like

Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by Nobody: 11:18pm On Nov 03, 2017
All these Gee boys wey no dey sleep should come and see this o. Be pressing laptop like their lives depend on it grin.
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by Dramadiddy(m): 11:19pm On Nov 03, 2017
mhizsuzzy:

Remedy is leave ur phone.........
yh my phone and computer are becoming an addiction
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by Dramadiddy(m): 11:19pm On Nov 03, 2017
FitnessDoctor:

Sorry that is not everything there was a problem with network, here it is.

Remedies
4. Make your room darker

Hope it helps.

Stay Healthy, Stay Wise

thank you.. will follow these
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by Nobody: 11:21pm On Nov 03, 2017
no rest for brain bcuz my ass is on grind 24/7
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by ladensmith(m): 11:25pm On Nov 03, 2017
Dramadiddy:
Do u drink alcohol?
if yes reduce your alcohol intake mostly at night...
Better still, smoke weed every night... it induce sleep.
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by DarkRebel69: 11:28pm On Nov 03, 2017
Sleep is one of my favourite vanities. The only thing almost as good as sex and the only thing better than kinder schocolade is 6/7 hours of restful sleep *winks*
(Better even if my sleep is completely “dream-less”). I find it laughable when people try to downplay this powerfully refreshing biological process with ill-fitting mantras like "Sleep is for the lazy", and bla bla bla. I think they are mostly ignorant.

I've found out long ago that I'm incredibly slow during the day whenever I fail to get adequate sleep the previous night. It's like a sledgehammer starts to drum in my skull. My eyes burn painfully and my senses also take a vacation. Women have mood swings when their hormones are on over-drive, but if you want to catch me in an irascible mood, just annoy me when I'm sleep-deprived. Darn! Even the chirping of birds drives me nuts in my sleep-deprived state.

(In my dictionary) To be chronically deprived of sleep = misery

What I don't understand or agree with however is this part of the OP's post:-

"Even if you sleep for 8 hours in the day and barely get a wink at night, you re still harming your brain and worse of all your business too".

To address the above, it doesn't matter when you get your 6/7 hours of sleep. If you're a nurse and you're always on night duty, then your 6/7 hours of daily sleep would logically come during the day. Your circadian rhythm is not fixed; it's adaptable, and sleeping at night is only a learned behaviour (and just like every other behavioural habit, it can be unlearned). If you were born into the world and the normal practice was for people to go about their business at night and sleep in the day, then sleeping during the day would be as natural as sleeping at night is for you now.

Not sleeping at night (so far as you've slept during the day) does not "harm your brain". (If the OP would cite a research that has been conducted to this end, then let him do so, otherwise I refuse to believe this bit of his post).
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by donem: 11:29pm On Nov 03, 2017
Atleast 4-5 hrs sleep per night is ok, why sleep too much? afterall when we die we would sleep for eternity.
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by Lagbaja01(m): 11:31pm On Nov 03, 2017
But what about proverbs 6:9-11?
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by 9jaDoc(f): 11:34pm On Nov 03, 2017
I need like 2hrs to 3hrs a night
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by ThisTrend(f): 11:35pm On Nov 03, 2017
Thank you for this... Even though, am stiLl gonna have a sleepless night today
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by FitnessDoctor: 11:38pm On Nov 03, 2017
DarkRebel69:
Sleep is one of my favourite vanities. The only thing almost as good as sex and the only thing better than kinder schocolade is 6/7 hours of restful sleep *winks*
(Better even if my sleep is completely “dream-less”). I find it laughable when people try to downplay this powerfully refreshing biological process with ill-fitting mantras like "Sleep is for the lazy", and bla bla bla. I think they are mostly ignorant.

I've found out long ago that I'm incredibly slow during the day whenever I fail to get adequate sleep the previous night. It's like a sledgehammer starts to drum in my skull. My eyes burn painfully and my senses also take a vacation. Women have mood swings when their hormones are on over-drive, but if you want to catch me in an irascible mood, just annoy me when I'm sleep-deprived. Darn! Even the chirping of birds drives me nuts in my sleep-deprived state.

(In my dictionary) To be chronically deprived of sleep = misery

What I don't understand or agree with however is this part of the OP's post:-

"Even if you sleep for 8 hours in the day and barely get a wink at night, you re still harming your brain and worse of all your business too".

To address the above, it doesn't matter when you get your 6/7 hours of sleep. If you're a nurse and you're always on night duty, then your 6/7 hours of daily sleep would logically come during the day. Your circadian rhythm is not fixed; it's adaptable, and sleeping at night is only a learned behaviour (and just like every other behavioural habit, it can be unlearned). If you were born into the world and the normal practice was for people to go about their business at night and sleep in the day, then sleeping during the day would be as natural as sleeping at night is for you now.

Not sleeping at night (so far as you've slept during the day) does not "harm your brain". (If the OP would cite a research that has been conducted to this end, then let him do so, otherwise I refuse to believe this bit of his post).

The research is from my life. Sleeping in the day cuts off so many things like exercise and eating right which is needed to maintain a healthy life. Worst of all it messes with your moods, You can ask nurses and doctors if they are happy with sleeping in the day. Sleeping in the day is never like that of the night and here is an article where doctors admitted that they are not even getting enough of that. https://qz.com/389958/its-time-for-doctors-to-admit-that-our-lack-of-sleep-is-killing-patients/
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by BluntBoy(m): 11:43pm On Nov 03, 2017
My Dash must read this.

CC Dasherz
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by dee02(m): 11:44pm On Nov 03, 2017
benzene00:

What?
You are too dumb to relate?
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by Dollarship(m): 11:45pm On Nov 03, 2017
G boys no dey sleep too lol

No slip no sleep
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by Nobody: 11:46pm On Nov 03, 2017
Dramadiddy:
are you a cancer? Most cancers always have poblem sleeping.. It's one of our unique ability, we don't sleep much in the night and still wake up strong like we had slept the whole night. If you are a cancer then it's not a problem and i don't think there's nothing you can do about it.. I don't usually sleep most nights, i do stay up till 3, 4 and still wake up by 7.. Have tried everything even drugs, it's not heping so i stop trying. Unless i'm very, very, very weak, i'd never sleep early.

1 Like

Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by ponziponzi(m): 11:47pm On Nov 03, 2017
kkko:
If u thoroughly read this post u will understood and give a deep thought into this matter, u will have no option to agree that the issue is similar to what might have happened or occurred or even a resemblance of something that will definitely elude a mere human prowess and finally come to the conclusion that I have nothing to say....

You are crazy. grin grin grin
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by Dasherz(f): 11:50pm On Nov 03, 2017
lol
just read it o
so for the past months I have been damaging ma brain cells embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
BluntBoy:
My Dash must read this.

CC Dasherz
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by Demmtek(m): 11:53pm On Nov 03, 2017
Hustle pure why i go sleep for night nah that time inspiration dey come. Internet ganster keyboard warrior. B.sc o jawo Mo doctor eloto come back when i hama i dey awake if u dey hear eagle eye nah me oju koko lawo

1 Like

Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by BluntBoy(m): 11:55pm On Nov 03, 2017
Dasherz:
lol
just read it o
so for the past months I have been damaging ma brain cells embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

Yes, especially, the specialized nerve cells called neurons which barely regenerate.
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by Silvermoney: 11:57pm On Nov 03, 2017
Yet they say all the so-called hard working billionaires work till 2.am and wake up by 5.am. That's only three hours of sleep. They say someone like Mike Adenuga only sleeps for 2 to 3 hours every night, because he must stay alert to monitor his multi billion dollar empire.

Which one should we believe? Who sleep epp?

The truth is that sleep cannot and should not stand in the way of one's pursuit of money.

We shall all have enough time to sleep.... When we are dead.
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by Demmtek(m): 12:00am On Nov 04, 2017
Luxuryconsult:
are you a cancer? Most cancers always have poblem sleeping.. It's one of our unique ability, we don't sleep much in the night and still wake up strong like we had slept the whole night. If you are a cancer then it's not a problem and i don't think there's nothing you can do about it.. I don't usually sleep most nights, i do stay up till 3, 4 and still wake up by 7.. Have tried everything even drugs, it's not heping so i stop trying. Unless i'm very, very, very weak, i'd never sleep early.
true talk cancerians rocks even if i go vigil i no go sleeep till d following morning and i will still go to work with my health 100% no dozzing off at work same during exam at school we dont sleep in the afternoon if i sleep in the afternoon it is a bad omen am falling seriously ill, we b kerosine i thought i was the only human with this ability, cancerians are the special editions being the almighty created.
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by XZONANA(f): 12:00am On Nov 04, 2017
wink grin grin grin
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by Lilimax(f): 12:01am On Nov 04, 2017
Omg! Will still have sleepless night tonight. On my way to couples night with my hubby smiley
Re: Here Is How Lack Of Sleep Is Harming Your Brain by danieljessy: 12:03am On Nov 04, 2017
frankloloko:
When your brain is too active you can't sleep . I normally get 7hours , still complain until I read dangote documentry , he sleep just 5 hours a night . Na poor man like sleep pass .
He sleeps 5hours a night undecided
Be deceiving yourself

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Piles (haemorrhoids) – Basics, Symptoms And Treatment / Saudi Surgeons Separate Nigerian Conjoined Twins - Hassana And Hassina (Photo) / Chinese Doctors In Nigeria End 14-Day Isolation Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.