Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,380 members, 7,812,108 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:27 AM

See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? (36616 Views)

Marathon Sex May Cause Penis Fracture, Impotence —urologists / Man Suffers Penile Fracture During Rigorous Sex (Graphic Photos) / Please Help! How Do I Get Rid Of This Growth On My Wrist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by BumbleBee2ice(f): 9:03pm On Nov 04, 2017
Guilderland1:

Please how long does it happened. Mine was of recent a month ago
This was 6yrs ago
Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by billbonesmd(m): 9:54pm On Nov 04, 2017
You need to visit a reputable diagnostic center. Get a wrist xray done, AP and lateral, get it reported then see a surgeon with it. It'll tell u more than a subjective assessment.

1 Like

Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Nov 04, 2017
Savemysoulnow:

Thanks so much
I rarely have pain
So it’s just fluid build up then get an X-ray too all the best

1 Like

Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by Rhea(f): 11:01pm On Nov 04, 2017
Savemysoulnow:
Good morning dear nairalanders

Please I want you to advise me...

On June 3, 2017, I fractured my left wrist in a minor accident.

4 days later, I went to the orthopaedic hospital & they placed POP on it.

On July 21, 2017. The POP was removed & I could see my hand very tiny compared to the right hand. But as time goes on it keeps looking healthier just like the right hand.
The doctor recommended some drugs for me (which I'm still taking till today)

I visit the hospital every time for my checkup. But the doctor keeps telling me that the wrist is still undergoing CONSOLIDATION stage.

This is my major concern... My wrist which I highlighted in the below pics, is that how it'll look deformed or what?

What could be the exact problem?

You had a bone break that affected your growth plate. Nothing the doctor could have done except explain that risk to you earlier. The fracture must have affected your distal radius growth plate but not your distal ulna. So your radius has stopped growing while your radius is still growing. It may get worse until you reach skeletal maturity (16 to 18 years old). After that, if the deformity affects how you use the wrist, you can get a corrective surgery to fix it. If you can use it effectively, forget any surgery and just ignore the bump. Can you post a picture of the wrist from another angle (camera looking straight at your opened palm and wrist)

1 Like

Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by Rhea(f): 11:03pm On Nov 04, 2017
solasoulmusic:
Your hand is swelling especially the left side and I can see the bone has shifted sending healing and prayers your way also see if you can apply some ointment or ice pack to the affected area do you have any pain still ?

I can recommend a good physiotherapist

Not a swelling. It is a growth plate injury. His distal radius has stopped growing while his distal ulna is still growing because he has not reached skeletal maturity.
Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Nov 04, 2017
Rhea:

Not a swelling. It is a growth plate injury. His distal radius has stopped growing while his distal ulna is still growing because he has not reached skeletal maturity.

Wow thanks for the insight
Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by Jimmy231: 11:11pm On Nov 04, 2017
Guilderland1:
I have the same related issue but mine is my last little finger, it has refused to stand up right.
Abeg no they show this kind hand again for where person they eat
Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by Jimmy231: 11:14pm On Nov 04, 2017
Vision2045:
i will advice you go for an X-ray asap...

When this happens, it is called a distal ulna fracture. This fracture was first described by an Irish surgeon and anatomist, Abraham Colles, in 1814; hence the name, "Colles' " fracture. A broken wrist usually causes pain and swelling, and frequently causes a deformity, causing the wrist to look bent.

See your doctor for a diagnosis. The doctor will take an X-ray of the wrist. The fracture is almost always about 1 inch from the end of the bone. If the fracture extends into the joint, it is called an intra-articular fracture; if it does not, it is called an extra-articular fracture. ("Articular" means "joint."wink If the fractured bone breaks the skin, it is called an open fracture. If the bone is broken into more than two pieces, it is called a comminuted fracture. A fracture is more difficult to treat if it is intra-articular, open or comminuted.

Treatment

There are many treatment choices. Your orthopaedic surgeon will describe what options are right for you. The choice depends on many factors, such as the nature of your fracture, your age and activity level, and your surgeon's personal preferences. The following is a general discussion of the possible options, just so you have a better idea of what your orthopaedic surgeon might recommend for you

SO FEAR NOT, JUST VISIT THE HOSPITAL AND DO THE RIGHT THING AND YOU WILL BE FINE BY THE GRACE OF THE ALMIGHTY GOD
Yes inner fracture was discovered by Ambracombie and fitch.
..in the latina uphtolophas.... Professor Johnbull
Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by HyDef(m): 11:16pm On Nov 04, 2017
Seems your fracture wasn't reduced properly. Colles fracture.

Go get an x-ray done. I doubt that's oedema.
Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by Rhea(f): 11:18pm On Nov 04, 2017
solasoulmusic:

No problem. We learn something new everyday

1 Like

Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Nov 04, 2017
Rhea:

No problem. We learn something thing everyday
True talk
Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by marvelyole(m): 11:38pm On Nov 04, 2017
That thing normal 4 ya eye

1 Like

Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by drlateef: 12:04am On Nov 05, 2017
solasoulmusic:

How old are you please?
Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by Nobody: 12:13am On Nov 05, 2017
drlateef:

How old are you please?
hi I’m 28 years old it’s my baby picture
Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by bigfizzy: 12:13am On Nov 05, 2017
How is this normal bros...abi you no dey see
Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by ugooo88(m): 12:21am On Nov 05, 2017
my wrist looks just like that. this is 7years after surgery.
Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by drlateef: 12:21am On Nov 05, 2017
solasoulmusic:
hi I’m 28 years old

In that case growth plate explanation is not appropriate here because you have already stopped growing up at around 19 to 21 years latest. The correct explanation is that the fracture has been mismanaged and it has malunited. It is the radius bone that is usually involved in majority of cases. It appears it was not properly reduced in place or after reduction in Pop cast, it was unstable and displaced again, especially if the cast was loose. In my own environment many of such fractures are treated surgically within two weeks of fracture before malunion has started. As it is now, it depends on your pocket. If you have deep pockets, get an X-ray done and see an orthopaedic surgeon near you for advice. From my experience it is very difficult to deal with at this stage but it is possible with experience hand surgeon. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by Nobody: 12:27am On Nov 05, 2017
drlateef:

In that case growth plate explanation is not appropriate here because you have already stopped growing up at around 19 to 21 years latest. The correct explanation is that the fracture has been mismanaged and it has malunited. It is the radius bone that is usually involved in majority of cases. It appears it was not properly reduced in place or after reduction in Pop cast, it was unstable and displaced again, especially if the cast was loose. In my own environment many of such fractures are treated surgically within two weeks of fracture before malunion has started. As it is now, it depends on your pocket. If you have deep pockets, get an X-ray done and see an orthopaedic surgeon near you for advice. From my experience it is very difficult to deal with at this stage but it is possible with experience hand surgeon. Good luck.

Hi it’s not my own hand o but the OPs own but all the same my head don catch fire untop the terminology

1 Like

Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by drlateef: 12:44am On Nov 05, 2017
solasoulmusic:

Hi it’s not my own hand o but the OPs own but all the same my head don catch fire untop the terminology

Oh sorry. I thought it was the OP that stated he was 28years old. The hand in picture appears adult-like though. Can he tell us his age?
Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by Nobody: 12:46am On Nov 05, 2017
drlateef:

Oh sorry. I thought it was the OP that stated he was 28years old. The hand in picture appears adult-like though. Can he tell us his age?
No not too sure he is the one that responded to my comment about pain but thanks tho for the insight maybe you can modify and quote him
Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by kstar93: 1:42am On Nov 05, 2017
free2ryhmnae:
Make we no discourage you

use am like that

it has already healed
na was for u
cheesy cheesy
Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by Kiish(m): 2:51am On Nov 05, 2017
this fracture( Colles Fracture) should have been manipulated and sorted out in theatre and not just by POP alone. Guessing from the pictures, i would say youre young (<60) . How long ago did you sustain this injury?
Savemysoulnow:
Good morning dear nairalanders

Please I want you to advise me...

On June 3, 2017, I fractured my left wrist in a minor accident.

4 days later, I went to the orthopaedic hospital & they placed POP on it.

On July 21, 2017. The POP was removed & I could see my hand very tiny compared to the right hand. But as time goes on it keeps looking healthier just like the right hand.
The doctor recommended some drugs for me (which I'm still taking till today)

I visit the hospital every time for my checkup. But the doctor keeps telling me that the wrist is still undergoing CONSOLIDATION stage.

This is my major concern... My wrist which I highlighted in the below pics, is that how it'll look deformed or what?

What could be the exact problem?
Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by 0gbeni(m): 6:03am On Nov 05, 2017
Adaumunocha:
They didn't set your wrist properly before the PoP....
Go to local bone setters to correct that mistake if possible .
Trust me, local bone setters will make the problem WORSE.. They always do
We see all sorts of complications causes by local bone setters here
Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by 0gbeni(m): 6:07am On Nov 05, 2017
Op.. Hope the 'orthopedic doctor' you are talking about is a licensed one and not one of these traditional bone setters?
You need to see a reputable doctor, have an X ray done and them and then have a the appropriate treatment option
The fracture is malunited and you may probably end up needing surgery on that wrist
Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by Adaumunocha(f): 7:08am On Nov 05, 2017
0gbeni:

Trust me, local bone setters will make the problem WORSE.. They always do
We see all sorts of complications causes by local bone setters here
So he should go for surgery?
Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by Savemysoulnow: 8:17am On Nov 05, 2017
Rhea:

You had a bone break that affected your growth plate. Nothing the doctor could have done except explain that risk to you earlier. The fracture must have affected your distal radius growth plate but not your distal ulna. So your radius has stopped growing while your radius is still growing. It may get worse until you reach skeletal maturity (16 to 18 years old). After that, if the deformity affects how you use the wrist, you can get a corrective surgery to fix it. If you can use it effectively, forget any surgery and just ignore the bump. Can you post a picture of the wrist from another angle (camera looking straight at your opened palm and wrist)

Good morning
Thanks

I'm already 19 Years old this year
Here is the pics...

Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by Bapy(m): 9:54am On Nov 05, 2017
Savemysoulnow:

Yes I did an xray & it showed FRACTURED LEFT Colles
okay.... The hand will straighten up gradually... Avoid carrying heavy things for now

1 Like

Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by Savemysoulnow: 1:20pm On Nov 05, 2017
Bapy:
okay.... The hand will straighten up gradually... Avoid carrying heavy things for now

Thanks so much sir
Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by Rhea(f): 7:43pm On Nov 05, 2017
Savemysoulnow:

Good morning
Thanks

I'm already 19 Years old this year
Here is the pics...

Ok. How old were you when you broke the wrist?
Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by Savemysoulnow: 8:32pm On Nov 05, 2017
Rhea:

Ok. How old were you when you broke the wrist?

I fractured it in June 3, this year
Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by Rhea(f): 10:08pm On Nov 05, 2017
Savemysoulnow:

I fractured it in June 3, this year

You must be tall then or probably have a dominant height gene in your family. By now, most of your growth plates should be closed. Keep an eye on it and take pictures every month to compare. It should not get worse than this. Important thing is that it is not painful.

1 Like

Re: See How My Wrist Looks Like 5 Months After Wrist Fracture, Is It Normal? by ahamonyeka(m): 8:42pm On Nov 06, 2017
tiger28:
I am probably your Dad's age.
lol....e pain am.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Recognize A Stroke And What To Do To Prevent It. / The First Ebola Patient In US Is Dead / How Do I Deal With Excruciating Ulcer?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.