Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,966 members, 7,817,841 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:55 PM

Should A Feminist Be Entitled To Alimony Or Financial Support After Divorce ? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should A Feminist Be Entitled To Alimony Or Financial Support After Divorce ? (950 Views)

Wedding Photos Of A Feminist & Her Man 5 Months After He Slid Into Her DM / 10 Pictures You Can Relate To If You've Ever Dated A Feminist / Angela Nwosu Smoking: "I Am Not A Wife Material, I Am Not A Feminist" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Feminist Be Entitled To Alimony Or Financial Support After Divorce ? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Nov 04, 2017
Feminists are believed to want separate financial dealings with men in a marriage. Now, lets assume all men like feminists and agree to marry feminists.

Five years down the line, the lady doesn't do too well financially while the husband becomes very wealthy, if the marriage fails and both party go separate ways, should the once " feminist wife" be eligible for alimony?

Afterall the arrangement is your money's yours, while mine's mine.

So should a feminist be entitled to alimony or financial support in any form after a divorce?

1 Like

Re: Should A Feminist Be Entitled To Alimony Or Financial Support After Divorce ? by BasketballGURU(m): 8:04pm On Nov 04, 2017
No
Re: Should A Feminist Be Entitled To Alimony Or Financial Support After Divorce ? by MrWondah(m): 8:08pm On Nov 04, 2017
I think you have the wrong understanding of whom a feminist is. There are branches of feminism so you should be specific
Re: Should A Feminist Be Entitled To Alimony Or Financial Support After Divorce ? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Nov 04, 2017
BasketballGURU:
No

It will be nice to hear some feminist lend their voice to this subject matter
Re: Should A Feminist Be Entitled To Alimony Or Financial Support After Divorce ? by BasketballGURU(m): 8:18pm On Nov 04, 2017
KreativGenius:

It will be nice to hear some feminist lend their voice to this subject matter

They won't surface here... we buried them yesterday grin

1 Like

Re: Should A Feminist Be Entitled To Alimony Or Financial Support After Divorce ? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Nov 04, 2017
BasketballGURU:

They won't surface here... we buried them yesterday grin

grin
Re: Should A Feminist Be Entitled To Alimony Or Financial Support After Divorce ? by Davidgrey: 8:47pm On Nov 04, 2017
Alimony is gender neutral

A lot of men are eligible for alimony payments but they forego it for various reasons(Pride,desire to move on....etc)

......Alimony is "actually" anti-feminist

Alimony(maintenance) is an outdated system that was put in place decades ago because "most women" were "uneducated and lacked financial security," it's different from child support and usual distribution of assets acquired during the marriage

it's a system that is in place to protect the "financial weak individual" after the termination of the relationship

Having said that.......your analogy is ignorant, A true feminist(educated and intelligent) will know that she is entitled to half of the "assets acquired during the marriage"

........Most established women don't request and desire alimony payments

Feminism doesn't mean that a woman desires financial independence | A Conservative person can also desire financial independence.

"That decision is personal"

5 Likes

Re: Should A Feminist Be Entitled To Alimony Or Financial Support After Divorce ? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Nov 04, 2017
Davidgrey:
Alimony is gender neutral

A lot of men are eligible for alimony payments but they forego it for various reasons(Pride,desire to move on....etc)

......Alimony is "actually" anti-feminist

Alimony(maintenance) is an outdated system that was put in place decades ago because "most women" were "uneducated and lacked financial security," it's different from child support and usual distribution of assets acquired during the marriage

it's a system that is in place to protect the "financial weak individual" after the termination of the relationship

Having said that.......your analogy is ignorant, A true feminist(educated and intelligent) will know that she is entitled to half of the "assets acquired during the marriage"

........Most established women don't request and desire alimony payments

Feminism doesn't mean that a woman desires financial independence | A Conservative person can also desire financial independence.

"That decision is personal"

Beautiful insight. Thanks for sharing
Re: Should A Feminist Be Entitled To Alimony Or Financial Support After Divorce ? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Nov 04, 2017
Since she believes "in what a man can do bla bla", I say hell NO. sad
Re: Should A Feminist Be Entitled To Alimony Or Financial Support After Divorce ? by pocohantas(f): 9:12pm On Nov 04, 2017
No to alimony. Alimony is patriarchal, it was made to serve as a form of security in ancient times when women couldn't get reasonable work or remarry upon divorce. For a feminist whose branch of feminism is against patriarchy, I don't think she should seek alimony.

Alimony law is gender neutral. When a marriage ends, the financially buoyant one, pays the other a form of support. The buoyant one could be male or female.

Yes to 'child' support. The kids are theirs, the man owes his kids that duty to take care of them financially. Feminism isn't against a man playing his fatherly role...at least to the best of my understanding.

I'm just getting to hear feminist do my money is mine and yours is yours. That would mean, lots of nigerian wives are feminist. A stingy or financially conservative person can have this attribute, it has nothing to do with feminism.

That said, whatever is acquired during the marriage belongs to the couple. How it's shared is what I don't know much about.

#PocoNuggets: If you have to bury people on a 'forum', do it with superior facts...not bullying kiss

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should A Feminist Be Entitled To Alimony Or Financial Support After Divorce ? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Nov 04, 2017
Not necessary #PocoNuggets: If you have to bury people on a 'forum, do it with superior facts...not bullying

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Should A Feminist Be Entitled To Alimony Or Financial Support After Divorce ? by pocohantas(f): 9:19pm On Nov 04, 2017
KreativGenius:
Not necessary #PocoNuggets: If you have to bury people on a 'forum, do it with superior facts...not bullying

Thank you

You don't tell me what's necessary in my post, especially when you weren't mentioned. Thank you too...
Re: Should A Feminist Be Entitled To Alimony Or Financial Support After Divorce ? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Nov 04, 2017
pocohantas:

You don't tell me what's necessary in my post, especially when you weren't mentioned. Thank you too...

Smh.
Re: Should A Feminist Be Entitled To Alimony Or Financial Support After Divorce ? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Nov 04, 2017
Yes, there are.

MrWondah:
I think you have the wrong understanding of whom a feminist is. There are branches of feminism so you should be specific
Re: Should A Feminist Be Entitled To Alimony Or Financial Support After Divorce ? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Nov 04, 2017
Women of Africa, no matter how hard you try to carry feminism on your head just remember that one day your father and his kinsmen will sell you for thirty pieces of silver. (Pontius Pilate 200 bc)
Re: Should A Feminist Be Entitled To Alimony Or Financial Support After Divorce ? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Nov 04, 2017
A pro-feminist position would hold that the payee and payer of alimony be decided by who's financially worse off after the union, and not by gender. It's already being done that way. When Brian Austin Green and Meghan Fox broke up, for instance, he demanded alimony from her given that he couldn't work as much due to his vertigo.
Re: Should A Feminist Be Entitled To Alimony Or Financial Support After Divorce ? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Nov 04, 2017
RaggedyAnn:
A pro-feminist position would hold that the payee and payer of alimony be decided by who's financially worse off after the union, and not by gender. It's already being done that way. When Brian Austin Green and Meghan Fox broke up, for instance, he demanded alimony from her given that he couldn't work as much due to his vertigo.

Nice

(1) (Reply)

47 Years After, Man Refuses To Open Gift From Ex-girlfriend / Newly Wedded Couples Lost Their Lives In Delta State / The 13 Most Bizarre Sex Laws In The United States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.