Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,596 members, 7,820,140 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1309777 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 5:45pm On Apr 30, 2018
@sutelk

Estate agents must run checks and references before leasing out rents. 10days is almost impossible except perhaps you come across a landlord advertising in shop fronts or word of mouth. Depending on the city you're going to. Renting a room in an apartment/house could be easier

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sutelk: 6:35pm On Apr 30, 2018
DisGuy:
@sutelk

Estate agents must run checks and references before leasing out rents. 10days is almost impossible except perhaps you come across a landlord advertising in shop fronts or word of mouth. Depending on the city you're going to. Renting a room in an apartment/house could be easier
Thanks for your response, I'm actually looking at renting a room within a house, don't have money for an entire flat now. But I want something where I can pay per month as opposed to paying per day on Airbnb, or is it possible to get a room for a month without deposits?
My plan is to get a place through Airbnb for 10 days then work on getting a room through zoppla or rightmove within those 10 days.
If you know other better/cheaper ideas I'm open to it.

NB: I'm going to Cambridge. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 8:33pm On Apr 30, 2018
sutelk:

Thanks for your response, I'm actually looking at renting a room within a house, don't have money for an entire flat now. But I want something where I can pay per month as opposed to paying per day on Airbnb, or is it possible to get a room for a month without deposits?
My plan is to get a place through Airbnb for 10 days then work on getting a room through zoppla or rightmove within those 10 days.

Check here when you land and start calling

https://www.gumtree.com/search?featured_filter=false&q=&search_category=property-to-share&urgent_filter=false&sort=date&search_scope=false&photos_filter=false&search_location=Cambridge&tl=undefined&distance=0.0001
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 8:52pm On Apr 30, 2018
sutelk:

try spareroom.co.uk

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 9:04pm On Apr 30, 2018
Try reallynicerooms they do weekly rents

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sutelk: 9:08pm On Apr 30, 2018
dustydee:
try spareroom.co.uk
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sutelk: 9:10pm On Apr 30, 2018
marylandcakes:
Try reallynicerooms they do weekly rents
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sutelk: 9:10pm On Apr 30, 2018
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 9:11pm On Apr 30, 2018
Lexusgs430:

IS200 or an IS300?

Did it not come with a valid MOT certificate?

Congratulations...... Hope you got insurance quotations prior to purchasing?

Mr Lexus, is it usual for Lexus to have very light steering that feels like the car is about to fly away when doing 100MPH. I haven't experienced this unease with my previous cars...2 jettas and 1 honda accord. Eventhough my honda accord had a light steering, it didn't feel like the car was unpredictable when driving really really fast. I even had to switch off the traction control which i thinked improved it a bit. Am seriously regretting not buying a volkswagen now....What do you think Mr Lexus?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 4:14am On May 01, 2018
Geetrix:

Mr Lexus, is it usual for Lexus to have very light steering that feels like the car is about to fly away when doing 100MPH. I haven't experienced this unease with my previous cars...2 jettas and 1 honda accord. Eventhough my honda accord had a light steering, it didn't feel like the car was unpredictable when driving really really fast. I even had to switch off the traction control which i thinked improved it a bit. Am seriously regretting not buying a volkswagen now....What do you think Mr Lexus?

Why are you doing 100 MPH? Maximum allowable on motorways is 70 MPH.........

No go collect points for your virgin license o.....

The sensation you feel whilst driving a Lexus is very different, hence the simplicity and ability to push the vehicle, and the vehicle urging you to put your lead foot down....... The automatic gear change sequence, does it so simply and silently, like witches are aiding the change.........

Lexus, the pursuit of perfection..........

NB : You turned off TC? You are a very brave man.......

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 4:16am On May 01, 2018
Geetrix:

Back to your question..... Read about speed sensitive steering wheels....... What happens at low speeds to your steering wheels?

Ensure your tyres are properly inflated (not 40 Psi). And ensure the wheels ball joints are properly fitted.......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 1:39pm On May 01, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Back to your question..... Read about speed sensitive steering wheels....... What happens at low speeds to your steering wheels?

Ensure your tyres are properly inflated (not 40 Psi). And ensure the wheels ball joints are properly fitted.......
the steering is stable at low speeds
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 1:40pm On May 01, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Why are you doing 100 MPH? Maximum allowable on motorways is 70 MPH.........

No go collect points for your virgin license o.....

The sensation you feel whilst driving a Lexus is very different, hence the simplicity and ability to push the vehicle, and the vehicle urging you to put your lead foot down....... The automatic gear change sequence, does it so simply and silently, like witches are aiding the change.........

Lexus, the pursuit of perfection..........

NB : You turned off TC? You are a very brave man.......

i only did 100 at free stretches of roads where there were no cameras and other vehicles were doing likewise
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:48pm On May 01, 2018
Geetrix:

i only did 100 at free stretches of roads where there were no cameras and other vehicles were doing likewise

Till one of the vehicles is an undercovercop, looking for a sacrificial lamb.......

12 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:49pm On May 01, 2018
Geetrix:

Have vehicle checked out underneath, if all is well. Keep testing your machine....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:51pm On May 01, 2018
Geetrix:

Don't regret the Lexus purchase. I feel £ 4 £, the Lexus is a better buy than a VW etc etc of equivalent class....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 3:09pm On May 01, 2018
Geetrix:

You should do this to your odometer...... grin

6 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EngrSaks(m): 3:09pm On May 01, 2018
fatima04:

In dt case start preparing ur CV and register for job alert on reed, cvlibrary, total jobs and indeed. Just to get started and familiarise ursef with d salary scale, job description in ur field etc. but Nigeria address and phone number may cause some limitations because you won't even know the region you are targeting ur search towards and getting a call back is likely not to happen.

Once you land, intensify all effort, call the company or agency u have seen dre vacancy to follow up and don't give up.

Many thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EngrSaks(m): 3:11pm On May 01, 2018
Ralphlauren:

such roles are sometimes sensitive and usually required detailed checks/vetting. Majority will require security clearance - something that can only be gotten if you have lived a specified number of years in the UK.

that said, go to the career section of top engineering firms like Schneider and also top conglomerates and see what jobs/roles they've got available.

it is too early to start talking about pay - get in first, apply for the jobs, get called for interviews, PASS, get offered the role/work contract and then you can worry about pay. keep your options open and do remember that you might have to start from the bottom and work your way up.

your Nigerian degrees won't get you far. however, your work experience (depending on the type of companies you've worked for), your level of intelligence and the skill set you possess will open doors for you.

Noted, thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 4:25pm On May 01, 2018
Lexusgs430:
Thanks...bad habits die hard

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 6:46pm On May 01, 2018
Please good people, I'd love to hear from you guys based on experience. Can an annual pay of 25k cater for a family of 3-4 in the UK?, can such earner be considered as an average person in the UK probably living an average life, considering the cost of living and tax?.

NB: Precisely Northern Ireland
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 8:41pm On May 01, 2018
Lexusgs430:

Lol dis got me in stitches, good awareness grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 8:47pm On May 01, 2018
Gracefav:
Please good people, I'd love to hear from you guys based on experience. Can an annual pay of 25k cater for a family of 3-4 in the UK?, can such earner be considered as an average person in the UK probably living an average life, considering the cost of living and tax?.

1. Yes it can cater as long as you are prudent about your spending

2. Yes I believe u can be classified as such, hence why ur visa was considered or issued in the first place.

You will be fine. All the best
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 9:05pm On May 01, 2018
Thank you so much @fatima04, one got to be prudent in spending by all means.
fatima04:

1. Yes it can cater as long as you are prudent about your spending

2. Yes I believe u can be classified as such, hence why ur visa was considered or issued in the first place.

You will be fine. All the best
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:13am On May 02, 2018
Gracefav:

Before tax or after tax?

If it's after tax, then it would be a good wage to comfortably leave on (would the husband or wife also contribute to total income)?

If its before tax, it's possible but one would have to be very very stingy and avoid unnecessary expense.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 6:30am On May 02, 2018
fatima04:

Lol dis got me in stitches, good awareness grin grin

The best way to avoid penalty points or losing one's license.........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 8:24am On May 02, 2018
Gracefav:

It depends on many things..before tax or after tax?
Either ways you will have to be very careful with expenditure as bills can pile up before you blink an eye.

If you rent a cheap area,low council tax, shop in a cheap grocery store, buy non expensive clothing,run a low cost car,budget properly,cheap child care, you will do alright,you won't be swimming in luxury at all.

Is this one person or two people's.income?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by olaidecash: 10:40am On May 02, 2018
Pls do anyone know any reliable shipping agent in London-lagos with reasonable price.thanks
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 1:13pm On May 02, 2018
The 25k is before tax, though locum jobs & extra shits excluded. The husband will also have to take up any available job just to augment.
Lexusgs430:

Before tax or after tax?

If it's after tax, then it would be a good wage to comfortably leave on (would the husband or wife also contribute to total income)?

If its before tax, it's possible but one would have to be very very stingy and avoid unnecessary expense.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 1:15pm On May 02, 2018
One person's income
imnotconfused:

It depends on many things..before tax or after tax?
Either ways you will have to be very careful with expenditure as bills can pile up before you blink an eye.

If you rent a cheap area,low council tax, shop in a cheap grocery store, buy non expensive clothing,run a low cost car,budget properly,cheap child care, you will do alright,you won't be swimming in luxury at all.

Is this one person or two people's.income?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Lexusgs430: 1:15pm On May 02, 2018
Gracefav:
The 25k is before tax, though locum jobs & extra shits excluded. The husband will also have to take up any available job just to augment.

That's better..... Locum + extra would even pay higher than 25K........
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EngrSaks(m): 3:19pm On May 02, 2018
Gracefav:

Most of my friends who are medics in the uk earn about 3k after tax so please don't settle for bad deals. I hear some agencies short change people who rush offers, take your time to get a good deal...25k before tax is for non medics

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.