Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,438 members, 7,819,611 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1309337 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 3:43pm On Apr 25, 2018
Bossman:
Yes, all the resources one needs are online. Veteran developer here 19+ years doing Java. The landscape is constantly changing, so one needs to keep learning. I do not mind it though. Probably one of the best decisions I ever made was to start learning Java the moment heard about it.

19 years... I guess that's why you're the bossman.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 6:14pm On Apr 25, 2018
Mamatukwas:

An African community does not exist here and in the next 2 towns. Area is 98% white with the other 2% being other nationals.

We are about an hour outside Glasgow in the Ayrshire/Kilmarnock/Irvine/Troon Zone.

I've only seen 1 other black person since we got here and the person just stopped by from Glasgow to buy something smiley Lol.

Lol, we would have been in d same zone (ayr) but decided against due to personal reasons.

Just order online and maybe u will end up being d African store runner in ur zone... grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 6:16pm On Apr 25, 2018
Aphrodite007:

My dear, it’s over frustrating o! grin, I started thinking something was wrong with
Please just call them iye. That’s what helped me. Best of luck with your job search.

Thank you jare. Been doing that, won't give up anyways. Thanks for d encouragement...

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 7:07pm On Apr 25, 2018
fatima04:

Lol, we would have been in d same zone (ayr) but decided against due to personal reasons.

Just order online and maybe u will end up being d African store runner in ur zone... grin

Lol thanks dear will do. At this rate I will be both fore and back runner smiley it is well.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dustydee: 8:47pm On Apr 25, 2018
Mamatukwas:

Lol thanks dear will do. At this rate I will be both fore and back runner smiley it is well.
If you have asian shops near you, you can check. They usually have similar foodstuff to African stores.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 9:54pm On Apr 25, 2018
dustydee:

If you have asian shops near you, you can check. They usually have similar foodstuff to African stores.

Ok. Will investigate. Thank you.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by mumynoella(f): 8:12pm On Apr 26, 2018
[quote author=dupyshoo post=62577351]Just saw that you are on Tier 2 visa. I was on Tier 2 visa too. I will be glad to answer questions on Tier 2 (General) visa.

Hi please i need help, i am applying for a tier 2 work visa with 3 dependents, I just need direction on how to go about it. I have a sponsor and other neccesary documents. I want to apply to arrive the 1st week of june but use a different date of arrival for my dependents precisely 3 months from my own date of arrival, please any suggestion on how to facilitate the process will go a long way. Thank u

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 10:15pm On Apr 26, 2018
@mumynoella,

You can decide to state the actual date there but for the sake of peace of mind put uniform date for you all, bear in mind that they will need to pick up d Biometirc Resident Permit (BRP) at a local post office near d address u have provided (you will.be given a 1month vignette to do this)

They need to be in d UK after to do this and u can't do it for them because you need there passport for collection.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 10:31pm On Apr 26, 2018
[quote author=mumynoella post=67058254][/quote]

Come alone first and re-apply for them when you are stable...eg accommodation etc
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 8:38am On Apr 27, 2018
Geetrix:

Come alone first and re-apply for them when you are stable...eg accommodation etc

Personally I think dt route is more stressful emotionally and financially. Since she already has a COS she is closer to d end

*visa more expensive
*needs more financial and other documentation (COS covers you and the family)
*takes longer time to be processed
*surviving alone with no family in dis country can be somewhat depressing
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by marylandcakes: 7:30pm On Apr 27, 2018
Yinkzy03:
Nice piece. If each one teach one, this world will be a better place. I wonder why people withhold such information.

The Jews, Asians etc progressing a lot because they help each other, the way they see it is that if the community is progressing then they are progressing. But blacks blacks? They want to be the only one progressing and everyone coming to them for help.

I’ve had people on this forum send me private messages that I shouldn’t give my skills away for free, the reason I do it is because if someone starts their own business due to the knowledge I have given then in a way that has helped the community. The only way we can do better for ourselves is if everyone around us is doing well. We should stop being scared of the next person being better than us because it’s not such a bad thing.

22 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 8:36pm On Apr 27, 2018
Avengers Infinity Warfare

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 9:10pm On Apr 27, 2018
Geetrix my colleague how far?
How did it go?
I'm unable to login with my usual moniker..
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 2:12pm On Apr 28, 2018
imnotconfused:
Geetrix my colleague how far?
How did it go?
I'm unable to login with my usual moniker..

SJT things oh
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by imnotconfused: 3:29pm On Apr 28, 2018
Geetrix:

SJT things oh

mention me in a dead thread if you want to talk about it..just incase i have some ideas,don't want to derail this one.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EngrSaks(m): 7:29pm On Apr 28, 2018
Greetings everyone,this is a really great zone for info...I have gone through everything....

Thanks for this thread fatima04

Please I need info about chemical engineering jobs in the uk...how easy is it and how much I'm I looking to be paid...I got my ist and 2nd degrees from Naija

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by bookface: 10:26pm On Apr 28, 2018
Mutendiwashe:
Nothing like enjoying a little sun

hey are you close to Ldn or anything? what do you say we grab drinks sometimes?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mutendiwashe(f): 10:38pm On Apr 28, 2018
bookface:

hey are you close to Ldn or anything? what do you say we grab drinks sometimes?
i am nowhere close to london actually
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 11:12pm On Apr 28, 2018
imnotconfused:

mention me in a dead thread if you want to talk about it..just incase i have some ideas,don't want to derail this one.

Life goes on, i still have my job
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by bookface: 3:32pm On Apr 29, 2018
Mutendiwashe:
i am nowhere close to london actually

so yes to the drinks, just not in ldn? cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EngrSaks(m): 5:36pm On Apr 29, 2018
EngrSaks:
Greetings everyone,this is a really great zone for info...I have gone through everything....

Please I need info about chemical engineering jobs in the uk...how easy is it and how much I'm I looking to be paid...I got my ist and 2nd degrees from Naija

Any info on this please?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dupyshoo: 7:22pm On Apr 29, 2018
Are you in the UK? If no, it is very difficult to get a job from outside UK. If yes and you have the right to work, then it will be easier. The salary will depend on your experience and the company you ard working for.
EngrSaks:

Any info on this please?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by EngrSaks(m): 9:13pm On Apr 29, 2018
dupyshoo:
Are you in the UK? If no, it is very difficult to get a job from outside UK. If yes and you have the right to work, then it will be easier. The salary will depend on your experience and the company you ard working for.

thanks for the reply. i will be in the UK soon and will be eligible to work as well...i asking because i want to know if i should stick to chemical engineering or go into the IT sector. i have about 8 yrs experience in large scale water treatment in Nigeria. i am also COREN registered in Nigeria too but i dont know if its relevant over there
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mutendiwashe(f): 10:44pm On Apr 29, 2018
bookface:

so yes to the drinks, just not in ldn? cheesy
hahaha see your life. I am in Aberdeen, if you can make it there tongue
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 11:31am On Apr 30, 2018
EngrSaks:

thanks for the reply. i will be in the UK soon and will be eligible to work as well...i asking because i want to know if i should stick to chemical engineering or go into the IT sector. i have about 8 yrs experience in large scale water treatment in Nigeria. i am also COREN registered in Nigeria too but i dont know if its relevant over there

In dt case start preparing ur CV and register for job alert on reed, cvlibrary, total jobs and indeed. Just to get started and familiarise ursef with d salary scale, job description in ur field etc. but Nigeria address and phone number may cause some limitations because you won't even know the region you are targeting ur search towards and getting a call back is likely not to happen.

Once you land, intensify all effort, call the company or agency u have seen dre vacancy to follow up and don't give up.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 11:35am On Apr 30, 2018
Just saw this recent article listing the Top 10 Nigerian restaurants in London.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/03/16/10-of-the-best-nigerian-restaurants-in-london-7372272/

How many have you been to? I've been to 805 Restaurant at Old Kent Road a few times.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 12:05pm On Apr 30, 2018
spacyzuma:
Just saw this recent article listing the Top 10 Nigerian restaurants in London.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/03/16/10-of-the-best-nigerian-restaurants-in-london-7372272/

How many have you been to? I've been to 805 Restaurant at Old Kent Road a few times.

Enish, 805, Obalende, K-Spice, Tasty, Lolake (many moons ago!)

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Ralphlauren(m): 12:07pm On Apr 30, 2018
EngrSaks:

such roles are sometimes sensitive and usually required detailed checks/vetting. Majority will require security clearance - something that can only be gotten if you have lived a specified number of years in the UK.

that said, go to the career section of top engineering firms like Schneider and also top conglomerates and see what jobs/roles they've got available.

it is too early to start talking about pay - get in first, apply for the jobs, get called for interviews, PASS, get offered the role/work contract and then you can worry about pay. keep your options open and do remember that you might have to start from the bottom and work your way up.

your Nigerian degrees won't get you far. however, your work experience (depending on the type of companies you've worked for), your level of intelligence and the skill set you possess will open doors for you.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sutelk: 2:42pm On Apr 30, 2018
Hello house, your learner boy needs some counsel.
Recall I am scheduled to resume early june and my offer covers maintenance but not accommodation. Another firm offers accommodation to employees at my place of work, no deposits just rent and bills. I have applied for this staff accommodation and I've been placed on the waiting list, and I've been waiting, in fact I have added prayers to the waiting, God alone knows how long I will wait. However, from my research on Zoopla and Rightmove, I discovered I could get cheaper accommodation (difference is like £30-£50 PCM) even closer (some even within 20/30 minutes walking distance according to google map) to work than the staff accommodation.
I was thinking of getting a temporary accommodation through Airbnb for 10 days, then use the maintenance funds to get a place outside staff accomodation.
My big question is, how practical is to get a place to rent within 10 days of my arrival in UK if I have the cash, are there other hurdles to cross besides providing the cash, someone once gave a hint of racial discrimination by agents? from my search on Zoopla and Rightmove, the houses are there but I dont know if its a different story on ground, cos if I have to stay more than 10 days on my temporary accommodation with Airbnb, that one na Gbese oh.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 3:29pm On Apr 30, 2018
DisGuy:

Enish, 805, Obalende, K-Spice, Tasty, Lolake (many moons ago!)

Wow. You've been around.

Next time I'm in London, I'll try that Obalende Suya place.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 5:12pm On Apr 30, 2018
spacyzuma:

Wow. You've been around.

Next time I'm in London, I'll try that Obalende Suya place.

Don't waste your time with obalende suya, its now wack.. You will get a better suya from angels bakery in Peckham. The chicken suya is my favorite.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by spacyzuma(m): 5:43pm On Apr 30, 2018
wonlasewonimi:

Don't waste your time with obalende suya, its now wack.. You will get a better suya from angels bakery in Peckham. The chicken suya is my favorite.

Thanks for the tip. smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.