Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,129 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:53 PM

Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant - Travel (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (1311957 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (750) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Killingmesoftly: 3:11pm On Jun 29, 2018
Lexusgs:

A student thread already exists, track it down and repost.....

Ok. Thanks. I will do that. But ps any of u that av gone through it should also assist ps
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 3:32pm On Jun 29, 2018
Killingmesoftly:
Good day dear house ps my step sister wishes to apply for UK student visa from Nigeria for her master and she doesn't know how to go about it. Ps I really need someone that will be able to give us all the guidance she need and the procedures. The most important thing is that we want to know how much she can have in her savings account to procedure for all these. Will 4 or 5M be okey ps

There are several threads in the travel section discussing this comprehensively, she can look up the information on there and ask questions- If she is going for Masters she will have to do a lot by herself so its best she register or use the read up information from there, the school website and UK.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by deept(m): 4:00pm On Jun 29, 2018
[quote author=Lexusgs post=68933829][/quote]

Lexusgs, what happened to 430? ABI you jam SARS?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jun 29, 2018
deept:

Lexusgs, what happened to 430? ABI you jam SARS?

Lol..... Robot don put handcuff for hin legs (24 hours) imprisonment.......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 4:29pm On Jun 29, 2018
Lexusgs430:
On days like this, a house with Air conditioning unit is on a long sweaty unrestable dilemma.......

Why sir? Thought it will be an advantage in this weather
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jun 29, 2018
fatima04:

Why sir? Thought it will be an advantage in this weather

I missed the 'out' in the 'with'......
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5H4D3(f): 6:52pm On Jun 30, 2018
So glad to see this thread. I ve been reading for about 3 days now. Yet to finish sha but i need to ask a question . I need guide please. My hubby is a doctor and I m a computer scientist , I have worked as a web developer since 2012 in a software development company. We are close to migrating o the UK with our 2 kids before this time next year if all go as planned. Mt area of strength (PHP / J2EE). My hubby has a career path already in the UK via PLAB. What do you think I can do please? How do I get a job? What d I have to do please? my 2 kids currently under 3 years but the first should be more than 3 by the time we move. Any tip for me especially? Wont mind to have a job so as to help the family.

If I m to do my Masters, which area should I consider?

The IT gurus here should help me.

What other skills should I add please?

@wonlasewonimi
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by dafemnet: 11:15pm On Jun 30, 2018
Ur coding skills are needed in the UK. You have no problem

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by wonlasewonimi: 8:46am On Jul 01, 2018
5H4D3:
So glad to see this thread. I ve been reading for about 3 days now. Yet to finish sha but i need to ask a question . I need guide please. My hubby is a doctor and I m a computer scientist , I have worked as a web developer since 2012 in a software development company. We are close to migrating o the UK with our 2 kids before this time next year if all go as planned. Mt area of strength (PHP / J2EE). My hubby has a career path already in the UK via PLAB. What do you think I can do please? How do I get a job? What d I have to do please? my 2 kids currently under 3 years but the first should be more than 3 by the time we move. Any tip for me especially? Wont mind to have a job so as to help the family.

@wonlasewonimi
You really don't need any other skills to add. Just be able to deliver when called. Here, they don't care who you are if you're very good at what you do.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by teejay231: 1:53pm On Jul 01, 2018
5H4D3:

@wonlasewonimi

From my experience, the most in-demand php web development roles are in Drupal/WordPress CMS, MVCs such as Laravel, Symfony, Zend 2/3 and maybe Codeigniter. Front-end experience is also important especially in JavaScript (Vue.js, React.js, Node.js, JQuery, Vanilla) and maybe some responsive design with Bootstrap.

You are also expected to have a portfolio of your past projects (create a GitHub account if you don't already have one) and some experience in other areas such as Linux, MySQL, Apache/Nginx and so on.

With your experience in J2EE you can also get into Android development. On your CV, try highlighting all your relevant skills and what technologies you used in your various roles. Create profiles on cv-library.co.uk, indeed.co.uk, LinkedIn.com, monster.co.uk, reed.co.uk and so on.

For Masters, you should look through the modules on the computer science programs at universities close to where you will be living to ensure you will be gaining some more relevant skills and not outdated skills. Software/web development roles are more dependent on experience and what you can prove such as past projects and on coding test/projects to complete within a very short time. Also expect to be grilled on your technical competencies. I hope this helps.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by 5H4D3(f): 2:16pm On Jul 01, 2018
Thanks for your prompt response. Really appreciate.. should I be thinking of working as a freelance developer or working with a team in an office environment? Which do you think is more feasible for me? I like to resume somewhere , relate with team in a work environment. That's what i ve done for 6 years. Yes, I have a portfolio of my past projects, will get them into github as advised.

I work well with mysql, mssql, JavaScript, jQuery, Ajax, spring mvc, Native PHP, WordPress, Joomla, j2ee.

Just getting into node.js.

I guess I should just focus on the skills I have already into perfection and add 1 or 2 things.

Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by teejay231: 3:49pm On Jul 01, 2018
5H4D3:
Thanks for your prompt response. Really appreciate.. should I be thinking of working as a freelance developer or working with a team in an office environment? Which do you think is more feasible for me? I like to resume somewhere , relate with team in a work environment. That's what i ve done for 6 years. Yes, I have a portfolio of my past projects, will get them into github as advised.

I work well with mysql, mssql, JavaScript, jQuery, Ajax, spring mvc, Native PHP, WordPress, Joomla, j2ee.

Just getting into node.js.

I guess I should just focus on the skills I have already into perfection and add 1 or 2 things.

Thanks a lot.

Freelance is very tough and highly competitive so probably look into full time or contract roles. You have an impressive skills range so you can keep developing on those. Nothing wrong in adding new skills it always helps. You shouldn't have a problem finding roles both contract and full time but usually UK work experience is important but if you do well in interviews/coding tests then you will be fine. If you live in a big city like London then much better. Also important is if the company feels you will fit in well, so presentation is important. You may have all the skills in this world but they would want to know if you can work well in a team.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Yinkzy03: 11:33pm On Jul 01, 2018
Good evening people,

Thanks to everyone that has made constructive contribution towards the growth of this thread, most especially the initiator @fatima04, God bless you all and your hustles.

A lot of personal experiences being shared, just to encourage and show people which pathway to follow, that is not what money can buy, I commend you all...

We, a family of 3, just got our Vignette on Friday.. application was submitted on the 21st of June using priority service, a mail was received by 28th of June that passport was ready for pickup, picked it up on 29th of June, application granted, one year inlne with the COS.

IHS surcharge was debited for 3years for the dependants Knowing full well the contract was for
One year, they sha don hold my money and waiting for a refund shapshap abeg.

BRP will be picked up and the hustle begins.

Had 10years Work experience in banking but I’m open to learn new things or change career outrightly, not just something to sort the bills but more than that. So help us God.

BTW-Tickets are hitting the roof now o, but I had to buy cos it’s gonna keep going up.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 1:08am On Jul 02, 2018
Yinkzy03:
Good evening people,

Thanks to everyone that has made constructive contribution towards the growth of this thread, most especially the initiator @fatima04, God bless you all and your hustles.

A lot of personal experiences being shared, just to encourage and show people which pathway to follow, that is not what money can buy, I commend you all...

We, a family of 3, just got our Vignette on Friday.. application was submitted on the 21st of June using priority service, a mail was received by 28th of June that passport was ready for pickup, picked it up on 29th of June, application granted, one year inlne with the COS.

IHS surcharge was debited for 3years for the dependants Knowing full well the contract was for

Had 10years Work experience in banking but I’m open to learn new things or change career outrightly, not just something to sort the bills but more than that. So help us God.

BTW-Tickets are hitting the roof now o, but I had to buy cos it’s gonna keep going up.

negative immigration policies...That refund takes about a year and they do it jaga jaga. All the best sha
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 7:14am On Jul 02, 2018
Yinkzy03:
Good evening people,

Congratulations. I believe it's d summer effect. Positivity all the way
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by sutelk: 10:53pm On Jul 02, 2018
DaveChapelle:

negative immigration policies...That refund takes about a year and they do it jaga jaga. All the best sha
Refund takes a year? Please tell me you are joking oh cos me I'm expecting my own this week oh, I no like that kind play oh.
Had to pay for IHS twice cos my first application was refused had to reapply and pay another 3 Years IHS. Shebi them say na 28 days for refund, abeg stop that joke oh.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 1:12am On Jul 03, 2018
i helped my friend pay for his wife him and 3 kids last year....cost about 6,000 pounds....they only just refunded the last of the money last week. Infact, the thing cos real fight btw us, cos i was harassing him for my money until he paid me

maybe yours will be different
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 10:13am On Jul 03, 2018
Hi Guys.

Please has anyone come into the country with dried/smoked meat? Wanna know of it will pass. Not kilishi oh... normal smoked goat or beef. Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Yinkzy03: 10:27am On Jul 03, 2018
Mamatukwas:
Hi Guys.

Please has anyone come into the country with dried/smoked meat? Wanna know of it will pass. Not kilishi oh... normal smoked goat or beef. Thanks.

I have done fried beef a couple times and will still do again, I beleive smoked should pass too
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DisGuy: 12:10pm On Jul 03, 2018
why risk it? rarely seen them checking people nowadays

this summer BBQ upandan....
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 12:25pm On Jul 03, 2018
Yinkzy03:

I have done fried beef a couple times and will still do again, I beleive smoked should pass too

Thanks a lot.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Mamatukwas: 12:26pm On Jul 03, 2018
DisGuy:
why risk it? rarely seen them checking people nowadays

this summer BBQ upandan....

The 'why' is very valid smiley For the joy that is set before you... grin
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by danberg: 2:00pm On Jul 03, 2018
Wifey needs a job, something suitable for a pregnant woman; online work would be great! Any links or help is appreciated.

Kudos, do keep up the good work Fatima04, and others.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Rubyventures: 2:15pm On Jul 03, 2018
danberg:
Wifey needs a job, something suitable for a pregnant woman; online work would be great! Any links or help is appreciated.

Kudos, do keep up the good work Fatima04, and others.

If she has got a craft, or a passion, even if it is just talking, she can set up a youtube account and eventually AdSense account where she will be making money for the no of views and subscribers. The only thing I would say is that black people should subscribe and support each other more so that we can build and develop our community.

If I see a Nigerian on YouTube, whether I have interest in the topic or not, (I know its very difficult for blacks) I always subscribe, view and comment on their videos to show my support.

Let us try to support each other more, if more than one person in our community is doing well indirectly you are doing well. Let us try and stop the world media from associating blacks with ghetto and poverty.

It gives me a lot of pleasure to see my fellow hard working brothers and sisters doing well for themselves.

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Killingmesoftly: 5:03pm On Jul 03, 2018
Good day house, ps I will like to get some explanations on this issue about a friend of mine waiting for her hubby to fill for her stay from Nigeria.

She said the hubby came to the uk as an EU spouse, the hubby was married in Germany and later the he persuaded the white lady he married to bring him to the uk, that he prefers the UK to enable him further his studies, which the white lady did, dat was in jan 2011 they came to uk. The white lady did all the immigration runnings and he got a five years stay, which he can still renew. So later in 2012 they divorced amicable bc of some circumstances , without no grudges, and the guy stayed alone. And in 2017 he applied for his permanent resident but was not given. The reason given is that he should provide a proof that the ex-wife was working in the UK bf divorce. But the problem is that he has losted contact with the lady and when contacted on Facebook, she has refused to respond . The lady av left UK. So the lawyer told him that when he is feel to apply on his own is in two years time. Which is ending of 2019. Ps house is this true? My friend has been confused and she really need to join her hubby, she is tired of staying alone here in Nigeria.

More so her husband is a surpport worker and works with diff agencies here in London. I will like to ask when he gets the permanent resident can the hubby apply for her with agency pay slips or will he need to get a full time job for this application? The man says he makes more than £18,600 in a year bc the agency pays him more. Ps any advice on this, should he switch to permanent job when he gets his permanent resident and want to fill for his spouse?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by danberg: 7:37pm On Jul 03, 2018
Rubyventures:

If she has got a craft, or a passion, even if it is just talking, she can set up a youtube account and eventually AdSense account where she will be making money for the no of views and subscribers. The only thing I would say is that black people should subscribe and support each other more so that we can build and develop our community.

If I see a Nigerian on YouTube, whether I have interest in the topic or not, (I know its very difficult for blacks) I always subscribe, view and comment on their videos to show my support.

Let us try to support each other more, if more than one person in our community is doing well indirectly you are doing well. Let us try and stop the world media from associating blacks with ghetto and poverty.

It gives me a lot of pleasure to see my fellow hard working brothers and sisters doing well for themselves.
Thanks RubyVentures.
Other inputs are welcome.
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 9:12pm On Jul 03, 2018
Killingmesoftly:

Your words are just too harsh and scaring. I have a God of possiblity! Thanks for y contribution

Hello Madam, are you still here??
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by DaveChapelle: 9:13pm On Jul 03, 2018
Killingmesoftly:
Good day house, ps I will like to get some explanations on this issue about a friend of mine waiting for her hubby to fill for her stay from Nigeria.

She said the hubby came to the uk as an EU spouse, the hubby was married in Germany and later the he persuaded the white lady he married to bring him to the uk, that he prefers the UK to enable him further his studies, which the white lady did, dat was in jan 2011 they came to uk. The white lady did all the immigration runnings and he got a five years stay, which he can still renew. So later in 2012 they divorced amicable bc of some circumstances , without no grudges, and the guy stayed alone. And in 2017 he applied for his permanent resident but was not given. The reason given is that he should provide a proof that the ex-wife was working in the UK bf divorce. But the problem is that he has losted contact with the lady and when contacted on Facebook, she has refused to respond . The lady av left UK. So the lawyer told him that when he is feel to apply on his own is in two years time. Which is ending of 2019. Ps house is this true? My friend has been confused and she really need to join her hubby, she is tired of staying alone here in Nigeria.

More so her husband is a surpport worker and works with diff agencies here in London. I will like to ask when he gets the permanent resident can the hubby apply for her with agency pay slips or will he need to get a full time job for this application? The man says he makes more than £18,600 in a year bc the agency pays him more. Ps any advice on this, should he switch to permanent job when he gets his permanent resident and want to fill for his spouse?

Do you have an idea how much the bills are ANC up to Delivery in the NHS, as per that thing we were talking about b4...Can i inbox you?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Killingmesoftly: 10:31pm On Jul 03, 2018
Killingmesoftly:

Ps beautiful people I need answer to my questions ps. No body av respond yet. Ps I await y responses
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Killingmesoftly: 10:32pm On Jul 03, 2018
DaveChapelle:

Do you have an idea how much the bills are ANC up to Delivery in the NHS, as per that thing we were talking about b4...Can i inbox you?

What thing ps?
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by Killingmesoftly: 10:34pm On Jul 03, 2018
DaveChapelle:

Hello Madam, are you still here??

Yep. Sill here
Re: Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant by fatima04: 10:37pm On Jul 03, 2018
So one silly voice spoilt my day and decided to rear it's ugly head after 45mins of getting to work, and that was the voice of " did I switch the gas cooker off". I was 70% sure I turned it off but just couldn't shake the voice.

The annoying part I wanted to avoid was taking a cab as tram/bus will take me like an hr so I decided to call my electricity provider emergency services asking them to switch it off while I was at work. The guy was helpful but kept sounding like "just ask your boss to release you now" and also the what if something bad happens and I could have avoided it with 30 pound

Eventually, rushed home met the emergency guy waiting for me and of course the cooker was off, I was so pissed ehn and I had to confirm if I was going to be charged for the emergency visit and the guy said its free, I was quite happy with that but mad about the money had to pay for the fro journey, e still they pepper me for body.

**Rant over

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (750)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 9 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.