Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,422 members, 7,830,119 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:33 PM

"800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun (11052 Views)

Saharagames Never Paid Me My N3.9 Million Winnings / Oando Crisis: Adeosun Queries SEC, Appoints New Director-general / Cigarette, Alcohol Prices To Rise As Adeosun Proposes Tariff Review (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by sammhi(m): 5:00pm On Nov 06, 2017
and what have you guys achieved with the ones you collected plus the oil money plus LNG money

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by Nobody: 5:02pm On Nov 06, 2017
I remember back in social studies class, one of the characteristics of tax is being easily payable, in Nigeria tax is herculean in nature, multiple and illegal taxes everywhere, leaking collection systems prone to extortions, one small business will pay income tax, business premises, business permit (a duplicate of the former), pay to the monitoring ministry, and still pay to the regulating council/board (another duplication), I'm saying all these out of personal experience. It's no news that after all these payments for years, you get little or nothing from the government, provide your own power, even after paying the power company, provide your potable water, your own security,

It's easy for madam minister to reel out numbers from her ivory towers, and it's easy for government proteges, people who are still being provided for to be shouting tax evasion up and down, do you know how much taxes an average taxi driver pays in a day? that's apart from his annual licence and vehicle documents registration.

Maybe she's talking farmers lining up to pay taxes after harvesting their crops cos last I checked, even pure water hawkers pay taxes in Nigeria. If for any reason those taxes doesn't get to the government, then who's to blame?

Irresponsible governments always trying to skew the narrative in their favour. Gets tiring after a while.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by Icon79(m): 5:20pm On Nov 06, 2017
And this is coming from someone who'd been the Nigeria's Finance Minister for the past 2 years.

So what have you done to remedy the situation, ma'am

If this woman is working for me, I will sack her effective immediately .... for gross incompetence.

O pari

MissEdified:
Finance Minister Kemi Adeosun has revealed that more than 800,000 companies in Nigeria, including government contractors, have never paid any taxes.

In a statement, she also said that only 14 million Nigerians, out of an economically active base of 70 million, paid taxes.

Of the 14 million, more than 95% were salary earners in the formal sector, but only 241 people paid personal income taxes amounting to about $65,500 (£50,000) in 2016, Ms Adeosun said.

There was "systematic tax evasion at all levels", and the government planned to step up efforts to increase tax collection, she added.

This would help reduce government reliance on oil revenue, Ms Adeosun said.

http://www.newshelmng.com/2017/11/in-nigeria-over-800000-firms-have-never.html

Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by Nobody: 5:24pm On Nov 06, 2017
FarahAideed:
Has this silly woman checked if those firms are making any profit at all..Maybe when Fashola starts to fix roads the people will see the need to pay taxes..Under Buharis govt 80 percent of Nigerian firms are posting losses on the P & L ..I know how much my then startup paid as tax under Jonathan but since Buhari came we havent paid zilch because we are now running a reckless balancing game just to stay afloat ...Buhari is a demon

So your startup company paid tax under Jonathan when oil sells between $118 & $140 per barrel and Jonathan did not save kobo, but rather he borrowed heavily & depleted the reserves OBJ left from $60 billion to about $30 billion. What a conspiracy, you, GEJ & your sister Okonjo Iweala deserve the best award in corruption & management
Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by Mysselff2: 5:30pm On Nov 06, 2017
With this Kemi Adeosun's face that does not inspire any confidence whatsoever,I wonder how she got that 800,000 figure.

I hope she didn't do her voodoo mathematics

I'm sure she added say 550,000 and 450,000 ,,,,,, yes that will give 800,000 in Kemi Adeosun's book

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by Nobody: 5:36pm On Nov 06, 2017
This lady don't know her job.

When those who know are being governed by those who don't know, the country remains underdeveloped.

A Nigeria corrupt country where Government properties and her officials are not paying taxes but stealing taxpayers money for abroad medical care and education.

Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 06, 2017
why should they pay taxes? nigeria is a lawless hell hole were there are no rules and regulations, infact Animals has better rules in the zoos than in nigeria.

1 Like

Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by Nobody: 5:42pm On Nov 06, 2017
FarahAideed:
Has this silly woman checked if those firms are making any profit at all..Maybe when Fashola starts to fix roads the people will see the need to pay taxes..Under Buharis govt 80 percent of Nigerian firms are posting losses on the P & L ..I know how much my then startup paid as tax under Jonathan but since Buhari came we havent paid zilch because we are now running a reckless balancing game just to stay afloat ...Buhari is a demon

So your startup company paid tax under Jonathan when oil sells between $118 & $140 per barrel and Jonathan did not save kobo, but rather he borrowed heavily & depleted the reserves OBJ left from $60 billion to about $30 billion. What a conspiracy, you, GEJ & your sister Okonjo Iweala deserve the best award in corruption & management.

1 Like

Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by Nobody: 5:52pm On Nov 06, 2017
babaolofin:

So your startup company paid tax under Jonathan when oil sells between $118 & $140 per barrel and Jonathan did not save kobo, but rather he borrowed heavily & depleted the reserves OBJ left from $60 billion to about $30 billion. What a conspiracy, you, GEJ & your sister Okonjo Iweala deserve the best award in corruption & management

These kind of lies and blames has expired.

GEJ didn't blamed OBJ. Only a visionsless politicians in government have nothing to offer but blames other people instead of taking responsibilities they were elected for.

1 Like

Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by refreshrate: 5:55pm On Nov 06, 2017
VulgarVulvas:
This idiot will just be spewing trash

You are the Minister of finance and not the head of FIRS or the Auditor-General or Accountant-General

If you want to make yourself useful for once go and clean up the rot ongoing in Customs under your big nose.

Foolish cunt

Wish I could like this a hundred billion times!
Realest thing ever said on NL

1 Like

Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by chuckdee4(m): 5:56pm On Nov 06, 2017
How do you pay tax to a government that provided no help in the development of your business, plus we all know what they do with collected tax.

Imagine a courier company paying taxes to government for the nasty roads that wreck their vehicles they use to deliver goods, might as well give your money to criminals.

1 Like

Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by Desyner: 6:03pm On Nov 06, 2017
babaolofin:

So your startup company paid tax under Jonathan when oil sells between $118 & $140 per barrel and Jonathan did not save kobo, but rather he borrowed heavily & depleted the reserves OBJ left from $60 billion to about $30 billion. What a conspiracy, you, GEJ & your sister Okonjo Iweala deserve the best award in corruption & management.
Do u think b4 posting?

1 Like

Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by GeorgeTheCoder: 6:08pm On Nov 06, 2017
VulgarVulvas:

You are the Minister of finance and not the head of FIRS or the Auditor-General or Accountant-General

If you want to make yourself useful for once go and clean up the rot ongoing in Customs under your big nose.

Foolish cunt

I was going to disagree with you, but I found no points to disagree on .....
These people (rightly ?) take us for fools.

1 Like

Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by fabianjay101(m): 6:09pm On Nov 06, 2017
But what have they done with the once they have received or is it that they don't have enough money to loot? jokers

1 Like

Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by Caseless: 6:12pm On Nov 06, 2017
fyneguy:

You are a shameless illiterate!

What does the Finance Minister do?

Get an education!
I did not take his serious when I saw that his name is vulgarvulvas
Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by Jaabioro(m): 6:17pm On Nov 06, 2017
Someone should endevour to save this woman because she had just veer of her duty post.
Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by iamjavadem(m): 6:31pm On Nov 06, 2017
VulgarVulvas:

Foolish cunt
Your mum is a cunt. You said FIRS isn’t her business yet you want her to stick her nose in custom. Mumu.

1 Like

Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by iamjavadem(m): 6:32pm On Nov 06, 2017
EmoBoy:
Why should I pay taxes to the God forsaken country?
But your silly ass wants good roads and light. Mumu
Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by Nobody: 6:56pm On Nov 06, 2017
Jolar101:

These kind of lies and blames has expired.

GEJ didn't blamed OBJ. Only a visionsless politicians in government have nothing to offer but blames other people instead of taking responsibilities they were elected for.

Silence is the best answer for a ............... If I respond you cannot comprehend. Is it a lie that between 2008 & early 2014 oil sells between $118 to around $140 / barrel? Is it a lie that the government borrowed heavily?
Is it a lie that OBJ that met oil less than $20 per barrel negotiated loan settlement when oil was less than $70 / barrel? Is it a lie that OBJ left almost $60 billion in reserve & other offshore investment? Is it a lie that GEJ left less than $35 billion in Reserve with a defence contract which is a deficit to the reserve in excess of $10 billion.

When your future was mortgaged , you can start Igbos cry. Do you think everybody on social media lacks intellect.

1 Like

Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by rexchazy(m): 7:02pm On Nov 06, 2017
God bless u, u nailed it
FarahAideed:

1 Like

Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by Nobody: 7:03pm On Nov 06, 2017
FarahAideed:

I am repeating my response because of the Ibos. I challenge them to an intellectual debate.

Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by Nobody: 7:04pm On Nov 06, 2017
babaolofin:

Silence is the best answer for a ............... If I respond you cannot comprehend. Is it a lie that between 2008 & early 2014 oil sells between $118 to around $140 / barrel? Is it a lie that the government borrowed heavily?
Is it a lie that OBJ that met oil less than $20 per barrel negotiated loan settlement when oil was less than $70 / barrel? Is it a lie that OBJ left almost $60 billion in reserve & other offshore investment? Is it a lie that GEJ left less than $35 billion in Reserve with a defence contract which is a deficit to the reserve in excess of $10 billion.

When your future was mortgaged , you can start Igbos cry. Do you think everybody on social media lacks intellect.

Now that Buhari is a minister of petroleum let him and his corrupt cabals do their jobs. You said GEJ's government left zero saving, was it Buhari's personal money they had been using to visiting over 20 countries immediately they came to power
Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by raphaeladeyele: 7:06pm On Nov 06, 2017
List deir names and years of default
Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by Nobody: 7:17pm On Nov 06, 2017
Jolar101:

Now that Buhari is a minister of petroleum let him and his corrupt cabals do their jobs. You said GEJ's government left zero saving, was it Buhari's personal money they had been using to visiting over 20 countries immediately they came to power

I requested for an intelligent debate and not this type. OBJ met $5.5 billion in reserve in 1999 with ambiguous debt, yet he travelled a lot. I said what GEJ left is the leftover of the almost $60 billion OBJ left in 2007 depleted by almost $25 billion by GEJ government.

What happens to the money made from oil from 2007 to 2014 without any saving.
Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by ernieboy(m): 7:19pm On Nov 06, 2017
where the 800000 coys dey, hope she is not counting some registered co that only exist on paper, especially govt contractors who only need the name to secure contracts. besides how many if those coys are profitable? only profitable coys can pay tax
Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by ofuonyebi: 8:05pm On Nov 06, 2017
no dout leaders here in 9ja over the years had turned themselves to 'sidown-look-dog'...

in oyinbo country...if u 'buy a pin'...u must pay tax!...yet, we hala say we economy bad

shameless corrupt leaders....when u pple refuse to sell what u get, se money go come from heaven?

this makes one to always remember the late idiagbons word...tufiakwa!
Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by FarahAideed: 8:08pm On Nov 06, 2017
babaolofin:

I am repeating my response because of the Ibos. I challenge them to an intellectual debate.

How the hell did you turn a taxation discussion into tribalism. I only meant my startup was able to land good patronage because the economy was more stable under Jonathan but with Buharis poor leadership most patronage we had has disappeared so much we dont make any profits ...
Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by skedman(m): 8:17pm On Nov 06, 2017
VulgarVulvas:

If you want to make yourself useful for once go and clean up the rot ongoing in Customs under your big nose.ignorance is a disease. She is the minister of finance and all those you mentioned except the auditor general are all under what ministry ?

Foolish cunt
Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by Nobody: 8:27pm On Nov 06, 2017
babaolofin:

I requested for an intelligent debate and not this type. OBJ met $5.5 billion in reserve in 1999 with ambiguous debt, yet he travelled a lot. I said what GEJ left is the leftover of the almost $60 billion OBJ left in 2007 depleted by almost $25 billion by GEJ government.

What happens to the money made from oil from 2007 to 2014 without any saving.

Did APC and boko haram terrorists allowed GEJ's government governed in peace?

I'm looking forward to seeing how much Buhari's corrupt government officials will leave in savings at the end of their tenure.

Intelligent my ass, nonsense.

Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by nextstep(m): 8:28pm On Nov 06, 2017
Madam, they've already paid their tax... it's in the oil revenues that the government refuses to share with the masses.

1 Like

Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by cimag: 9:38pm On Nov 06, 2017
How Can my firm pay taxes when Gov Rochas Okorocha will use the money to mould or erect more Zuma,Mugabe,OBJ,Buhari etc statues?
Re: "800,000 Firms Have Never Paid Taxes In Nigeria" - Adeosun by BiggyBamBam: 9:55pm On Nov 06, 2017
The FG, should look into one of the firms, MULTI-PRO ENTERPRISES in Lagos, they market INDOMIE INSTANT NOODLES and their factory in Ogun State.
These are the crooks wrecking Nigeria. Whenever Officials of FIRB comes knocking, they ALWAYS give them bribe and many cartons of Indomie. This is the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
Indians are criminals!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Paid $665m To Renew Three Oil Blocks —mobil / 5 Money Lessons You Can Learn From Your Friends Who Are Broke / How I Registered My Private Limited Liability Company With Cac Online With 40k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.