Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,746 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job (11609 Views)

Visa Lottery Winner, Other Arrested Over Scam Marriage / Dv Lottery Winners Pls Advice: Is There A Secret For Winning The Visa Lottery / Stop The Agents, Get The Visa Yourself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by wales1: 10:29am On Feb 22, 2007
Need Help In Finding A Job In The Us

I have been granted a US visa recently through the DV lottery. I need help in finding a job in the US. Can anyone please provide me with some information on where or how to go about looking for a job in US.
Thanks
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by segedoo(m): 7:33pm On Mar 19, 2007
are you in US now?

guy, na humble beginnings o except if you sabi hairstyling or barbing or painting.

otherwise just go and start from a dept store or macdonald's
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by sweetilomo(f): 7:35pm On Mar 19, 2007
omo reach the usa 1st.we all started some where.i just got here last year july!man it was damn tough.but now we thank God.where exactly r u going to.?because places matters.
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by Icon(m): 1:02am On Mar 20, 2007
wales, what's your yahoo id or mail? I need to ask you some questions
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by whiteroses(f): 1:56am On Mar 20, 2007
what kind of visa did you win i guess it's visiting visa, in that case you are not allowed to work. the bodies that gave you visa should be responsible for your living. my dear winning a visa is a suffering warrant, you better make sure people are waiting for you in the states before you travel
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by bigbumper(f): 3:26am On Mar 20, 2007
whiteroses:

what kind of visa did you win i guess . . .

Why guess, why not ask? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by vickybabe(f): 6:41am On Mar 20, 2007
@ wales1

if you won lottery, before u get job you will have to wait for your green card which takes about 6wks or less
while you wait you can apply for a social security number
all jobs requires one to have a SSN <which is like a file for entire life as soon as you step in the US>
ones you get those two stuff everything is easy
it just takes time
my advise to you now is spend you time well and wise
now that you are not working
who knows the next year or two you will only be workin
no time for vacation

be careful and don be too desperate
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by comechop(m): 8:39am On Mar 20, 2007
Icon:

wales, what's your yahoo id or mail? I need to ask you some questions

lol SHINE YA EYE O, u no no who be who now lol
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by FACE(m): 9:58am On Mar 20, 2007
@WhiteRose
what kind of visa did you win i guess it's visiting visa, in that case you are not allowed to work. the bodies that gave you visa should be responsible for your living. my dear winning a visa is a suffering warrant, you better make sure people are waiting for you in the states before you travel

Visa lottery is an Immigrant Visa. In other words, it's a visa that entitles you to have a green card and to settle in the U.S. You are allowed to work if you have won a visa lottery. There is no need to be always negative in life and you made it look like the poor guy is about to enter into slavery.

Wale1, take Vickybabe's advice. Regardless of where you travel to, everyone going to a place for the first time (Including Citizens returning to the country having grown in another country) has one type of apprehension or the other about the new place he/she has chosen to reside.

Keep your head up high. If there were no mountains, there would be nothing like mountain climbing.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by tlops(m): 12:32pm On Mar 20, 2007
wales1
firstly, congrats atleast u have  chance to make thing happen in a more sane society US.
vickybabe:

@ wales1

if you won lottery, before u get job you will have to wait for your green card which takes about 6wks or less
while you wait you can apply for a social security number
all jobs requires one to have a SSN <which is like a file for entire life as soon as you step in the US>
ones you get those two stuff everything is easy
it just takes time be careful and don be too desperate

follow the above advice as given probably he has the right info.He's on ground so he knows best.
well working abroad is not quite easy especially for black that want to hussle. your first job may not be what u expect but with time u will get something better. I think what u should do now is to define your aims/goals, know what u want to achieve and by when, so that when the road is rough the picture of your destination will motivate you to keep trying. all da best

1 Like

Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by samm(m): 12:52pm On Mar 20, 2007
Wales1, you have gotten a couple of good advices on this thread.  Let us know your age, educational background, and work history so we can better advice you. 
One great thing about here is that you have a lot of options. 
Without the right information and advice, too many choices then becomes a disadvantage.
Bottom line, you need to be well informed before making your moves and stay well informed while you are here.

1 Like

Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by BlackMamba(m): 2:19pm On Mar 20, 2007
whiteroses:
what kind of visa did you win i guess it's visiting visa

Stupid question. Read a post before you respond.

wales:
I have been granted a US visa recently through the DV lottery

Self explanatory!
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by Nobody: 2:44pm On Mar 20, 2007
u never reach ,u dey find work
dont jump the gun one day at a time
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by whiteroses(f): 4:23pm On Mar 20, 2007
i'm sorry people felt i'm being negative and i asked stupid question, don't worry you'll find a job if you search for one when you get there. i guessed it was visiting visa at first because I thought winning visa lottery to another country is just to look around and have fun for sometimes, then come back home, as in maybe you already have a job, good life and family in Nigeria, so I didn’t think anybody would leave that behind and travel to start from scratch again somewhere else, but FACE just said you could get work permit so you’ll be ok.i hope you have a good time in the states.
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by alanbolo(m): 5:12pm On Mar 20, 2007
When U get here, all you have to do is just get in touch and u'll be alright with the right pointer, Don't expect to be millionaire oer'night. If you're in the bio/medical field, more chances awaits you in finding a job.
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by K2: 5:25pm On Mar 20, 2007
In addition to what others said regarding starting from the scratch, you could use your spare time to explore this website http://servicelocator.org/ . It's government owned. Once you have determined where you'd reside, simply key in the city or zipcode. You'd be given addresses of employment offices where you could go and they'd assist you regarding all your employment needs from Job placements, to resume writting, training etc.
Nevertheless, note that it'd take some time before you'd be able to work because you'd need to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) and get a photo identification card (unless you want to be carrying your passport up and down).  The good news is that you don't need to apply for any permit to work. The stamp on your passport should be sufficient.
Congratulations and may be I should be the first to say Welcome to America! grin
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by speedo(m): 5:36pm On Mar 20, 2007
@ wales
"Stupid question. Read a post before you respond"
my guess is as good as yours regarding the person who is stupid here.This forum is for an exchange of ideas not for u to insult urself and show ur ignorance.
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by SweetT1: 6:15pm On Mar 20, 2007
Take your time and search for a convenient job pending the time that you are independent and have a means of transportation. Take it easy and be prayerful. You are a lucky chap.
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by Nobody: 7:10pm On Mar 20, 2007
you dont need a job! Simply join the growing welfare queue. grin
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by alanbolo(m): 8:30pm On Mar 20, 2007
@  speedo ,  take am easy oh, he might have genuine reason for displaying his act this way
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by Ndipe(m): 2:46am On Mar 21, 2007
Which state are you moving to? Your best bet would be to sign up with a temporary agency, and also take some nursing classes. CNA classes in my area, can run for just one month, with rigorous training for under 1000 thousand dollars. Starting pay, as I am told is around 20 dollars an hour, which is not bad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by Blesscy(m): 9:42am On Mar 21, 2007
Cogratulations!I guess our fellow nairalanders have done a good job.Just be wise in ur decision.
It is well.
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by ebos(m): 11:45am On Mar 21, 2007
The idea of saying Sweetroses is negative is in itself encouraging negativity. Telling the guy is  all going to be smooth is to prepare him to fall into the toxic trap which will force him to question God  “why my own always different.”  Let him know it is not going to be easy at all but if he endures it will be ok.  This will enable him realize what he is going to pass through and therefore equip himself.  So, to let him know the thorny road, does not in any way mean negative
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by K2: 3:24pm On Mar 21, 2007
@Ndipe, You were told wrong. There's no where in the Nation even in CA where a CNA's pay would start at $20 per hour. Haba! An LPN/LVN maybe.
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by Coleslove: 4:10pm On Mar 21, 2007
bennygee:

u never reach ,u dey find work
don't jump the gun one day at a time

He who fails to plan, Plans to fail, When its ur turn wait till you get there. Then you would sing the Had i Know song. Always live ready bro and its never too early for him to start looking for Job.

CONGRATS AGAIN
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by sirpee50(m): 4:57pm On Mar 21, 2007
what is this person saying? are u sure of ur sentence? if you won american lottery, there will be both job and shelter for you. may be u re not sure of what u re saying
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by ivgotfleas(m): 5:20pm On Mar 21, 2007
Need Help In Finding A Job In The Us

I have been granted a US visa recently through the DV lottery. I need help in finding a job in the US. Can anyone please provide me with some information on where or how to go about looking for a job in US.
Thanks

At any rate, this is not something that is worthly of discussion. Skill set matters, location, etc.
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by omoge(f): 7:08pm On Mar 21, 2007
you don't have to worry about a job. once you are in the soil, start humbly, be careful if you are in states like Texas sha for quick way of making money, again start humbly. after a while and it's cloudy, join the US Military. It's a great career (even free money for a degree or so be it BA or MA),
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by BlackMamba(m): 2:42am On Mar 22, 2007

what is this person saying? are u sure of your sentence? if you won american lottery, there will be both job and shelter for you. may be u re not sure of what u re saying

Visa lottery is not a jackpot. It only admits you to live and work in the US. You're on your own once you step out of the terminal. You can be denied a green card, even if you won the visa lottery, if you can't guarantee a means of support when you're admitted.
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by gmcln(m): 3:49am On Mar 22, 2007
Wales1

I have been granted a US visa recently through the DV lottery

Who sponsor you?  I have sponsor a number of relatives to US over the years. They stay with me and
look for job, then move on . Even if win a DV visa you will still need a sponsor.
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by choco4life(m): 9:59am On Mar 22, 2007
good for u.
As others adviced dont be too desperate.
Re: I Won The Visa Lottery: Now I Need A Job by ade4real(f): 3:48am On Mar 23, 2007
Are you now in the states and with your green card,if so,go online to career websites like monster.com,careerbuilder.com or go to google and search jobs .Good luck

(1) (2) (Reply)

Another Fuel Tanker Goes In Flames In Anambra, 3rd In A Week / Weather Forecast Across Nigeria Today / Luxembourg Visa From Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.