Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,717 members, 7,813,362 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:18 AM

Remembering Ken Saro Wiwa 22 Years After - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Remembering Ken Saro Wiwa 22 Years After (512 Views)

Menegian Saro-Wiwa Dies Of Coronavirus In London / "Soldier Poured Acid On Saro-Wiwa After Killing Him" - Eyewitness / Amaechi: I Could Have Been Killed By Ken Saro Wiwa's Killers Because Of Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remembering Ken Saro Wiwa 22 Years After by Upritman(m): 4:21pm On Nov 10, 2017
@SuanusBlog

Today marks 22 years after Ogoni Leaders led by renowned Environmentalist, Writer and Human Rights Activist Ken Saro Wiwa were killed by the military junta led by Nigeria’s cruel dictator and looter, General Sani Abacha.
Ken Saro Wiwa who was fighting against environmental degradation and political marginalization of the Ogoni People and Niger Delta against international outcry was hanged alongside his noble comrades on November 10, 1995.
In remembering this great star of Africa, here are a collection of his famous twenty quotes:
1. “Lord take my soul, but the struggle continues.”
2. “The men we are dealing with are mindless, Stone Age dictators addicted to blood.”
3. “In Nigeria, the only wrongdoers are those who do no wrong; to live a day in Nigeria is to die many times.”
4. “[Nigeria’s rulers] have been responsible for the African nightmare, afraid as they are of ideas and men of ideas. They are daylight robbers who kill for money.”
5. “Water wey dey boil No hot like dis Nigeria.”
6. “Forgive me friend, if I laugh at what should make me cry.”
7. “You cannot destroy an idea like mine…Even if I were to die tomorrow, even if I were to be locked up in prison…You can’t destroy an idea like mine.”
8. “I want the country to be together. I want one country, but I want a true federation, not this apparition…”
9. “It is said that a prophet is not without honour save in his country and in his own house. But I have found honour among my beloved Ogoni people who have suffered immensely in the last hundred years.”
10. “The most important thing for me is that I’ve used my talents as a writer to enable the Ogoni people to confront their tormentors. I was not able to do it as a politician or a businessman. My writing did it. And it sure makes me feel good! I’m mentally prepared for the worst, but hopeful for the best. I think I have the moral victory.”
11. “Unless you go back to how the country started, we will never be able to find a way out of our dilemma.”
12. “The writer cannot be a mere storyteller; he cannot be a mere teacher; he cannot merely X-ray society’s weaknesses, its ills, its perils. He or she must be actively involved shaping its present and its future.”
13. “In this country [England], writers write to entertain, they raise questions of individual existence…but for a Nigerian writer in my position you can’t go into that. Literature has to be combative.”
14. “I have no doubt at all about the ultimate success of my cause, no matter the trials and tribulations which I and those who believe with me may encounter on our journey. Neither imprisonment nor death can stop our ultimate victory.”
15. “I and my colleagues are not the only ones on trial. Shell is here on trial and it is as well that it is represented by counsel said to be holding a watching brief.”
16. “Any nation which can do to the weak and disadvantaged what the Nigerian nation has done to the Ogoni, loses a claim to independence and to freedom from outside influence.”
17. “Shell and the Nigerian military dictatorship are violent institutions, as the Ogoni planned peace and dialogue, Shell and the Nigerian military plotted death and destruction.”
18. “I call upon the Ogoni people, the peoples of the Niger delta, and the oppressed ethnic minorities of Nigeria to stand up now and fight fearlessly and peacefully for their rights. History is on their side. God is on their side. For the Holy Quran says in Sura 42, verse 41: ‘All those that fight when oppressed incur no guilt, but Allah shall punish the oppressor.’ Come the day.”
19. “The men who ordain and supervise this show of shame, this tragic charade, are frightened by the word, the power of ideas, the power of the pen.”
20. “Whether I live or die is immaterial. It is enough to know that there are people who commit time, money and energy to fight this one evil among so many others predominating worldwide. If they do not succeed today, they will succeed tomorrow.”
We will continue to hail their heroism and pray they find peace at least in death.

Source: http://www.suanusblog.com/2017/11/remembering-ken-saro-wiwa-22-years-after.html

Re: Remembering Ken Saro Wiwa 22 Years After by hakeem4(m): 4:23pm On Nov 10, 2017
good man, i read some of his poem back then

1 Like

Re: Remembering Ken Saro Wiwa 22 Years After by Nobody: 4:24pm On Nov 10, 2017
If he's the one on that 1st pic,
Then no doubt he's an IBO man wink
Re: Remembering Ken Saro Wiwa 22 Years After by anuoluwapo884(m): 5:15pm On Nov 10, 2017
Rest well KEN SARO WIWA we will always remember the good ones with there good works

(1) (Reply)

.... / Fake Certificate Revelations Have Justified Us – Kogi Govt / NDDC Headquarters Shut Down This Morning By Physically Challenged Protesters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.