Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,048 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

Is The TECNO Phantom 8 Too Expensive For 128,000? - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Is The TECNO Phantom 8 Too Expensive For 128,000? (20924 Views)

Tecno Phantom 8 Full Specifications And Price / My Tecno Phantom 8 Unboxing — What's With The Fingerprint Magnet? / Pictures From The Launch Of The New Phantom 8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The TECNO Phantom 8 Too Expensive For 128,000? by Decale: 1:32am On Nov 13, 2017
Acidosis:

Galaxy S6 (2015 phone): 1440 x 2560 pixels (577 ppi)

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s6-6849.php

This is ridiculous. How can you compare a phone that's seen 2 generations with the price point of a 2017 phone? Do you understand the term, depreciation?

An s6 of 2015 brand new is at least 80% more than the 2017 phantom's.

Samsung is one of the OEMS that release expensive gadgets. An A5 2017 (130k) or A7 2017 (150k) released 10 months ago costs more than this phone but pales in specs when compared to the phantom .

So what's the essence of having a 20mp camera that can't shoot ordinary 4k video?

Camera and 4k are unrelated. If you don't have the right processor to put up with that resolution at that frame rate, 4k won't work. Tecno used a mid tier mediatek processor. They focused more on image quality from what I can deduce

Samsung Galaxy S6 and it is sold for only N125k, even the 2014 Galaxy S5 has the OIS.

S5 doesn't have OIS. And again, comparing a 2 year old phone's price point to a 2017's is illogical

Why is it not specified? That's fraudulent. That screen is no gorrila screen, more reason Tecno, Infinix and the likes have mastered the act of providing you people with N100 and N150 screen protectors (they actually call it gift) to protect that scratch-able, fragile and weak screen.

Don't know why. I'm guessing they still use Gorilla glass 3 and do not want to get customers focused on that sad part.

Again, Samsung Galaxy S6

Again, Galaxy S6 has a glass finish (both back and front are made with scratch resistant glass finish).

Give me a 2017 released Samsung phone that's cheaper and better specd. Do not give me a 2 year old phone that I can get 65k in the used market

Xiaomi mi 6 is made with a ceramic finish with gold accents. One of the most beautiful phones ever, in the league of S8 and it cost just a little above the ridiculous glossy steel Phantom. You think that glossy 'stainless steel' is premium?

As a matter of fact, yes. 2017 phones still have flagships in metal

HTC u11 is glossy stainless steel
Xiaomi mi6 is metal
Oneplus 5 is metal
Even the C9 pro that's metal looks less premium than Phantom 8, yet more expensive

That phone is decent for that price.

Cheers
Re: Is The TECNO Phantom 8 Too Expensive For 128,000? by Gptech(m): 6:53am On Nov 13, 2017
jomonic:

Sure it is
Abeg, I nr get power to argue jare.
Re: Is The TECNO Phantom 8 Too Expensive For 128,000? by Nobody: 7:51am On Nov 13, 2017
Gptech:

Abeg, I nr get power to argue jare.

Fine. Then shut up.
Re: Is The TECNO Phantom 8 Too Expensive For 128,000? by Gptech(m): 8:54am On Nov 13, 2017
jomonic:

Fine. Then shut up.
Yes sir. But you were thesame guy complaining of harsh response recently, karma, hmm grin.
Re: Is The TECNO Phantom 8 Too Expensive For 128,000? by Acidosis(m): 9:05am On Nov 13, 2017
Decale:

This is ridiculous. How can you compare a phone that's seen 2 generations with the price point of a 2017 phone? Do you understand the term, depreciation?

An s6 of 2015 brand new is at least 80% more than the 2017 phantom's.

Samsung is one of the OEMS that release expensive gadgets. An A5 2017 (130k) or A7 2017 (150k) released 10 months ago costs more than this phone but pales in specs when compared to the phantom .

You know I have issues with the way you overbloat prices of Samsung phones. They are not as expensive as Tecno made you assume. Galaxy A5 cost just 86k (not 130k) on Jumia. That phone is very very beautiful and sleek with only 7mm thickness (no Tecno phone is this slim). What more can anyone ask for?

The 150k you quoted for A7 can actually purchase a brand new Galaxy S7 flagship on same Jumia or Konga.

Its even appalling seeing the way we compare Tecno with Samsung Galaxy A7, S7, S6 and the likes. Both possess different brand value and brand perception and of course varying resale values. They're not in the same league.
Re: Is The TECNO Phantom 8 Too Expensive For 128,000? by Nobody: 9:28am On Nov 13, 2017
Gptech:

Yes sir. But you were thesame guy complaining of harsh response recently, karma, hmm grin.

I didn't mean it that way. "Hold your peace", that's what I was communicating. I really wish you a blessed day and week ahead.
Re: Is The TECNO Phantom 8 Too Expensive For 128,000? by Decale: 9:47am On Nov 13, 2017
Acidosis:

You know I have issues with the way you overbloat prices of Samsung phones. They are not as expensive as Tecno made you assume. Galaxy A5 cost just 86k (not 130k) on Jumia. That phone is very very beautiful and sleek with only 7mm thickness (no Tecno phone is this slim). What more can anyone ask for?

The 150k you quoted for A7 can actually purchase a brand new Galaxy S7 flagship on same Jumia or Konga.

Its even appalling seeing the way we compare Tecno with Samsung Galaxy A7, S7, S6 and the likes. Both possess different brand value and brand perception and of course varying resale values. They're not in the same league.

Lol. You're quoting A5 (2016) for 86k. The A5(2017) version costs 130k.

S7 costs 170k on Slot. Whatever you buy from Jumia won't be brand new but refurbished. Besides, s7 at initial release last year was almost double phantom 8's price
Re: Is The TECNO Phantom 8 Too Expensive For 128,000? by Prichere: 9:48am On Nov 13, 2017
I don't think Phantom 8 is overpriced. Take a look at its specs, MediaTek Helio P25, 6GB RAM, 64GB ROM, Impressive camera profile.. what more would you ask for a phone at that price point?
Re: Is The TECNO Phantom 8 Too Expensive For 128,000? by Gptech(m): 11:10am On Nov 13, 2017
jomonic:

I didn't mean it that way. "Hold your peace", that's what I was communicating. I really wish you a blessed day and week ahead.
All good man, wish you a blessed week too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The TECNO Phantom 8 Too Expensive For 128,000? by tfortony(m): 3:41pm On Nov 13, 2017
Wow! Thanks everyone. I actually went through all the comments and we made very very valid points.

Things I noted from what was said here and the YouTube comments predominantly was the processor and specifications, design choice and value in terms of resell-ability and obviously, the price... I make mention of some Geekbench facts in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDnsXMwAbis

Yes, the scores are on-par with some not-so-recent flagships but there were also valid points raised regarding what it would actually take "manufacturing and research-wise" to pull off a comparable flagship at that price range.

I do have a question though, with these specs we've seen in the video and all, would your decisions be swayed if the price was lesser? (those who answered positive to the topic) Say ~100k?
Re: Is The TECNO Phantom 8 Too Expensive For 128,000? by omoalajah(m): 4:45pm On Nov 13, 2017
so worth it
bravesoul247:
As for me it's worth the money jor
Re: Is The TECNO Phantom 8 Too Expensive For 128,000? by scarycuteface(m): 5:03pm On Nov 13, 2017
tfortony:
Wow! Thanks everyone. I actually went through all the comments and we made very very valid points.

Things I noted from what was said here and the YouTube comments predominantly was the processor and specifications, design choice and value in terms of resell-ability and obviously, the price... I make mention of some Geekbench facts in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDnsXMwAbis

Yes, the scores are on-par with some not-so-recent flagships but there were also valid points raised regarding what it would actually take "manufacturing and research-wise" to pull off a comparable flagship at that price range.

I do have a question though, with these specs we've seen in the video and all, would your decisions be swayed if the price was lesser? (those who answered positive to the topic) Say ~100k?
definitely. But even at the current price, it's not a ripoff like most has painted it to be.

1 Like

Re: Is The TECNO Phantom 8 Too Expensive For 128,000? by missslimzy(f): 5:08pm On Nov 13, 2017
Its not too expensive.
Re: Is The TECNO Phantom 8 Too Expensive For 128,000? by techgeniusworld(m): 5:09pm On Nov 13, 2017
NAVTINO45:
it is not only expensive but exploitative, presently tecno phantom 6 plus with a mediatek helio x20 processor which is far better than the p25 is selling for 98k and less in some areas .
Nokia 8 with a snapdragon 835 chip and corning gorilla glass is selling for 188k, (A nokia flagship device)

but tecno phantom 8 which is a mid range device is selling for 128k ,not even with a 128 gig inbuilt memory, forget the 6gig ram, is more expensive to get a higher rom than Ram,
how much is xiaomi mi6 which is another flagship device with high specs.

They better cut the price and sell it 75k, else nokia 6,5, and xiaomi mid range and high end devices will outstrip and outsell them in the African and Nigerian market ,which is likely.
low sales and returns loading......

1 Like

Re: Is The TECNO Phantom 8 Too Expensive For 128,000? by datyorubaboy: 5:29pm On Nov 13, 2017
Its priced decently
Re: Is The TECNO Phantom 8 Too Expensive For 128,000? by Freelancerx: 6:41pm On Nov 13, 2017
Comparing to other devices, I think it is okay.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Samsung To Release New Galaxy A80 Variant With 256GB Storage / Top 5 Ways To Get More Memory Space On Your Android. / Cat B15 Android Smartphone By Caterpillar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.