Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,962 members, 7,825,016 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience (2608 Views)

Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience / Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) / Why Are Canadian Used Cars Cheaper Than American Used Cars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by Mist100: 6:36pm On Nov 11, 2017
Please what's your take on buying Nigeria used cars. Currently considering making a purchase.

Gurus and experienced buyers please share and advice thanks.
Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by nurey(m): 6:59pm On Nov 11, 2017
Nigerian used car aka aloku, hmmmmmm eleyi gidigan ooo cry

My experience with it is not so good
Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by Mist100: 7:27pm On Nov 11, 2017
nurey:
Nigerian used car aka aloku, hmmmmmm eleyi gidigan ooo cry

My experience with it is not so good

I am hesitant too. cos a colleague just bought big daddy for 850k. now he had spent over 300k to fix issues and still fixing...
Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by nurey(m): 8:02pm On Nov 11, 2017
Mist100:

I am hesitant too. cos a colleague just bought big daddy for 850k. now he had spent over 300k to fix issues and still fixing...

tell him to take the car for the crusade by Reinhard Bonnke, it would be powerful, wonderful, eventful, helpful, handful, beautiful, colourful, useful, graceful, bountiful, rightful, thoughtful grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by Nobody: 8:04pm On Nov 11, 2017
nurey:

tell him to take the car for the crusade by Reinhard Bonnke, it would be powerful, wonderful, eventful, helpful, handful, beautiful, colourful, useful, graceful, bountiful, rightful, thoughtful grin
ISBON must hear this!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by timifakay(m): 10:15am On Nov 12, 2017
Mist100:
Please what's your take on buying Nigeria used cars. Currently considering making a purchase.

Gurus and experienced buyers please share and advice thanks.
If it smells like a fish, looks like a fish, tastes like a fish. It is a fish.
In essence you must be very careful to know why the owner is selling off (not just the reason you are told)
Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by Nobody: 10:52am On Nov 12, 2017
timifakay:

In essence you must be very careful to know why the owner is selling off (not just the reason you are told)
A tokunmbo 2002 Audi A4 B6 2.0 ALT MANUAL TRANSMISSION... VERSUS NIGERIA USED PENCIL CAMRY/FISH... ADVICE....WHICH IS MORE RELIABLE AND DEPENDABLE?
Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by obekediamondfuto(m): 11:36am On Nov 12, 2017
Mist100:

Haba 300k? did he change engine or gear box?

the Car is not known for generating much issues
Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by obekediamondfuto(m): 11:39am On Nov 12, 2017
timifakay:

in this case broda, if it looks like turkey, smells like roasted beef but drives like a fish...... what is it?

A FISH!!!

secondly, if the deal is too good to be true, it is not true at all. like that very cheap warri deal, very very cheap, I wonder if gazuzz finally went to warri sha but we no come hear from the guy again
Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by obekediamondfuto(m): 11:42am On Nov 12, 2017
NgcoboP:

A tokunmbo 2002 Audi A4 B6 2.0 ALT MANUAL TRANSMISSION... VERSUS NIGERIA USED PENCIL CAMRY/FISH... ADVICE....WHICH IS MORE RELIABLE AND DEPENDABLE?

this is a trap right? no right or wrong answer, whichever way timi goes, u already have a questionnaire and a handful of point to dish out.
Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by Nobody: 11:47am On Nov 12, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

this is a trap right? no right or wrong answer, whichever way timi goes, u already have a questionnaire and a handful of point to dish out.
Timifakay... Is an astute demeanour... Let him come...ain't a trick question.

I will share my experience later.....
Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by OPUSDEI1(m): 12:50pm On Nov 12, 2017
I once went to Lagos to buy a Naija used car, met the seller around 6pm, inspected the car and paid on the spot, then filled the tank and drove down to Anambra state that night. I have used the same car for four years though I changed the engine due to oil consumption two years+ later. Besides regular maintenance, I have no complaints. (Am finally putting it up for sale simply to upgrade)

There are some naija used cars better than tokunbo e.g Gazzuzz's Honda accord and other cars.

If due diligence is applied when buying naija used car, the only issues you will face is aging parts, you(the driver) or your village people.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by timifakay(m): 12:53pm On Nov 12, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

He always has a troublesome car he wants to buy which we never eventually hear if he bought or not.
Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by Nobody: 12:56pm On Nov 12, 2017
timifakay:

He always has a troublesome car he wants to buy which we never eventually hear if he bought or not.
Please avail us of your knowledge Omo iya
Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by captainking(m): 1:15pm On Nov 12, 2017
OPUSDEI1:
I once went to Lagos to buy a Naija used car, met the seller around 6pm, inspected the car and paid on the spot, then filled the tank and drove down to Anambra state that night. I have used the same car for four years though I changed the engine due to oil consumption two years+ later. Besides regular maintenance, I have no complaints. (Am finally putting it up for sale simply to upgrade)

There are some naija used cars better than tokunbo e.g Gazzuzz's Honda accord and other cars.

If due diligence is applied when buying naija used car, the only issues you will face is aging parts, you(the driver) or your village people.
What.. That same night??. When did you get to anambra state??.. I really wanna know superman...
Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by OPUSDEI1(m): 1:42pm On Nov 12, 2017
@Captainking, I got home (then Ihiala) 3:35 am cos I had to be in the office by morning..

FYI night driving is coolest with a healthy car if not for bad roads and robbers.
Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by Mist100: 3:11pm On Nov 12, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

Haba 300k? did he change engine or gear box?
the Car is not known for generating much issues
He changed the gear box for over 100k
Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by obekediamondfuto(m): 3:23pm On Nov 12, 2017
OPUSDEI1:
@Captainking, I got home (then Ihiala) 3:35 am cos I had to be in the office by morning..

FYI night driving is coolest with a healthy car if not for bad roads and robbers.

nna mehn, bros u get mind oh, abeg u fit help me go warri go inspect one vehicle?

@ mist, a 10k inspection fee would have saved him all the stress, but hu could have sold such lemon for that price?
Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by captainking(m): 3:54pm On Nov 12, 2017
OPUSDEI1:

Woa..that was very risky.. U get mind oo..
Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by VeeBabs(m): 4:45pm On Nov 12, 2017
Mist100:

That's what happens when you buy a car without doing your due diligence (a.k.a your homework). The three most expensive things to fix in a used car are:

- engine.
- transmission (gearbox).
- body paint.

The 3rd one is easy to note. The first two can be observed during a test drive, if you have good ears (and a scan tool, too).
Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by ebujany(m): 6:28pm On Nov 12, 2017
Timely tread. Hopeing to get one soon
Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by Mist100: 4:42pm On Nov 13, 2017
VeeBabs:

That's what happens when you buy a car without doing your due diligence (a.k.a your homework). The three most expensive things to fix in a used car are:

- engine.
- transmission (gearbox).
- body paint.

The 3rd one is easy to note. The first two can be observed during a test drive, if you have good ears (and a scan tool, too).

my brother he brought the car to the office. There was no sign of major faults when I drove the car myself.

First. The gear started slipping after two weeks. A gear rework was done and gear eventually changed.

Secondly. Mechanic advised that the injector be changed cos it was not as sound.

Thirdly. The ride wasn't smooth abinitio so changing shocks and tyres was agreed upon.

Fourthly. AC that was cooling suddenly stopped cooling after the gear work. A change of condenser and repair of compressor was advised.

I weak.
Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by diportivo: 10:31pm On Nov 13, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by diportivo: 10:32pm On Nov 13, 2017
timifakay:

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by Nobody: 11:56pm On Nov 13, 2017
Diportivo you have been quite scarce...hope our beef will not enter 2018?
Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by VeeBabs(m): 9:07am On Nov 14, 2017
Mist100:

my brother he brought the car to the office. There was no sign of major faults when I drove the car myself.

First. The gear started slipping after two weeks. A gear rework was done and gear eventually changed.

Secondly. Mechanic advised that the injector be changed cos it was not as sound.

Thirdly. The ride wasn't smooth abinitio so changing shocks and tyres was agreed upon.

Fourthly. AC that was cooling suddenly stopped cooling after the gear work. A change of condenser and repair of compressor was advised.

I weak.

Hmmm. Well, the cost price of 850 + 300k gives a total of N1.150 M. For a Big Daddy, I don't think it's bad (assuming car is now out of the woods).

A few words though for the list you gave.

Items 2 (injectors) and 3 (shocks) are easy to identify. A good mechanic will hear the characteristic sign of bad injectors. So, no surprises there with these two.

As for item 1 (gear slippage) and item 4 (AC), I've got a few tips for next time.

GEARBOX -- Did you carry out the rest drive with the engine cold or hot? And did you drive the car long enough?

A slipping transmission may not slip when cold/cool. So if your test drive did not put the gearbox to task, you might miss the slippage. So drive the car till it's hot, and then RACE it.

Transmissions are forced to work harder when they have to shift quickly under high speed. So a failing tranny is likely to show itself under hard shifting conditions. If the owner allows you, accelerate the car quickly (when it's heated up) and watch out for the gear changes. Pay particular attention to the shift from 2nd - 3rd gear, as those are often the most problematic gears.

Why do this when the car is hot? Now, when a transmission suffers a problem on the road, it typically goes into what is called "limp mode". This is basically like limiting itself to first gear allowing you to drive (limp) only slowly as you get yourself to shelter or home. Oftentimes you'd be advised to wait for the car to cool down before continuing.

All of this means if you want to put as little stress as possible on your gearbox, driving slow is the way to go. That also means if you want to test its health (when buying the car) driving FAST is the way to go. A transmission slippage is not likely to show itself if you test drive a car in a busy street, where you can't really race it.

AIR CONDITIONING -- Let's be honest, an AC leak is a pain in the arse. It's extremely difficult to detect (without the right tools.) You said the AC stopped cooling after a few weeks, that's typically how long it takes for the gas to leak to the point where its no longer enough for proper cooling. The owner would top up the gas before your inspection, giving you ice cold AC, but which fades away after a few weeks of purchase.

However, I have a little trick I use and which tends to serve me well. During your inspection, ask the car owner one of two questions:

- What type of AC gas do you use? OR
- When last did you top up the AC gas?

If he gives you a DEFINITE answer to these questions, BEWARE, there might be a leak. Why?

Because, normally, AC gas is very rarely topped up in a functioning (closed) system. For instance, I have used my present car for two years now and I have never touched the gas. Not once, yet it cools me well under the hot Lagos sun. So if a car owner has topped his own recently enough to recall the type of gas he used/uses, that's a red flag.

AC gas is some thing you normally shouldn't touch, unless of course there was a frontal impact that physically damaged the condenser or gas cylinder. Otherwise, it's safe to assume that there is a leak in the system which causes the owner to top up the gas every few weeks.

Finally, check the AC gas fill up caps. If they look "clean" rather than dusty/dirty, compared to the tubes/pipes themselves, it's an indication that the owner was servicing them often enough -- meaning there is a leak.

So don't be fooled by the chilling AC you're feeling. That might be because the gas in there is freshly topped. Give it a few weeks, the chill won't be there anymore.

And locating an AC leak is one of the most difficult jobs your AC guy DOESN'T want to do for you. It can be really hard, without the proper chemical diagnostic tools.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by Mist100: 12:00pm On Nov 14, 2017
VeeBabs:

Hmmm. Well, the cost price of 850 + 300k gives a total of N1.150 M. For a Big Daddy, I don't think it's bad (assuming car is now out of the woods).

A few words though for the list you gave.

Items 2 (injectors) and 3 (shocks) are easy to identify. A good mechanic will hear the characteristic sign of bad injectors. So, no surprises there with these two.

As for item 1 (gear slippage) and item 4 (AC), I've got a few tips for next time.

GEARBOX -- Did you carry out the rest drive with the engine cold or hot? And did you drive the car long enough?

A slipping transmission may not slip when cold/cool. So if your test drive did not put the gearbox to task, you might miss the slippage. So drive the car till it's hot, and then RACE it.

Transmissions are forced to work harder when they have to shift quickly under high speed. So a failing tranny is likely to show itself under hard shifting conditions. If the owner allows you, accelerate the car quickly (when it's heated up) and watch out for the gear changes. Pay particular attention to the shift from 2nd - 3rd gear, as those are often the most problematic gears.

Why do this when the car is hot? Now, when a transmission suffers a problem on the road, it typically goes into what is called "limp mode". This is basically like limiting itself to first gear allowing you to drive (limp) only slowly as you get yourself to shelter or home. Oftentimes you'd be advised to wait for the car to cool down before continuing.

All of this means if you want to put as little stress as possible on your gearbox, driving slow is the way to go. That also means if you want to test its health (when buying the car) driving FAST is the way to go. A transmission slippage is not likely to show itself if you test drive a car in a busy street, where you can't really race it.

AIR CONDITIONING -- Let's be honest, an AC leak is a pain in the arse. It's extremely difficult to detect (without the right tools.) You said the AC stopped cooling after a few weeks, that's typically how long it takes for the gas to leak to the point where its no longer enough for proper cooling. The owner would top up the gas before your inspection, giving you ice cold AC, but which fades away after a few weeks of purchase.

However, I have a little trick I use and which tends to serve me well. During your inspection, ask the car owner one of two questions:

- What type of AC gas do you use? OR
- When last did you top up the AC gas?

If he gives you a DEFINITE answer to these questions, BEWARE, there might be a leak. Why?

Because, normally, AC gas is very rarely topped up in a functioning (closed) system. For instance, I have used my present car for two years now and I have never touched the gas. Not once, yet it cools me well under the hot Lagos sun. So if a car owner has topped his own recently enough to recall the type of gas he used/uses, that's a red flag.

AC gas is some thing you normally shouldn't touch, unless of course there was a frontal impact that physically damaged the condenser or gas cylinder. Otherwise, it's safe to assume that there is a leak in the system which causes the owner to top up the gas every few weeks.

Finally, check the AC gas fill up caps. If they look "clean" rather than dusty/dirty, compared to the tubes/pipes themselves, it's an indication that the owner was servicing them often enough -- meaning there is a leak.

So don't be fooled by the chilling AC you're feeling. That might be because the gas in there is freshly topped. Give it a few weeks, the chill won't be there anymore.

And locating an AC leak is one of the most difficult jobs your AC guy DOESN'T want to do for you. It can be really hard, without the proper chemical diagnostic tools.

Wish I had these tips. I am bothered cos I was the one that made him purchase this car against his desired EOD for same price.

Hope this serves well for other buyers cos that is my aim. Thanks man.
Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by diportivo: 8:49pm On Nov 14, 2017
Mist100:

Wish I had these tips. I am bothered cos I was the one that made him purchase this car against his desired EOD for same price.

Hope this serves well for other buyers cos that is my aim. Thanks man.

dat ur friend sabi beta thing tho
Re: Nigerian Used Cars! Your Experience by Moses247(m): 3:44pm On Nov 15, 2017
OPUSDEI1:

which one is Tokunbo?? is it d direct benjohn cars

(1) (Reply)

Honda Wohala / Mercedes C Class W204 Steering Wheel And Driver Seatbelt Pretensioneer Needed / Blue Smokes On My Honda Civic 2006

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.