Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,822,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:39 AM

Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) (29631 Views)

Buying My First Car, Please Share Your Experience / 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change / BMW Abandons Boring Designs To Catch Up On Mercedes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 1:48am On May 30, 2022
I just watched a Scotty Kilmer video talking about this thing and how good they are for cars with older engines and also very good for cars with GDi engines.
What are your experiences ? Let's learn

Cc Egunmogaji2, Gazzuzz, Kingreign, Femtopford, diportivo et al

Nigerian consumer experience is in focus here

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by kingreign(m): 4:57am On May 30, 2022
MASTAkiLLAh:
I just watched a Scotty Kilmer video talking about this thing and how good they are for cars with older engines and also very good for cars with GDi engines.

Lalasticlala

They’re not necessarily meant for older engines. They’re meant for cars which have the known defect of excessive oil burn due to defective PCV or breather valve designs. They’re meant to trap oils in the valve top which the PCV loses.

It’s beneficial to not only GDI but MPI engines too especially those with badly designed PCV and headers which can trap excessive air and vapors.

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by EgunMogaji2: 7:32am On May 30, 2022
MASTAkiLLAh:

Lalasticlala

It’s a popular upgrade in the USA hobby circle. I pretty much install it on all my hobby cars.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by kingreign(m): 8:39am On May 30, 2022
EgunMogaji2:

It’s a popular upgrade in the USA hobby circle. I pretty much install it on my hobby cars.

You’re right, it’s very common upgrade on most track day cars for hobbyist and those who do street races both in US and Japan.

It’s a very common upgrade for the VQ35DE powered nissan/Infiniti cars due to their oil burning nature.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 2:51pm On May 30, 2022
kingreign:

They’re not necessarily meant for older engines. They’re meant for cars which have the known defect of excessive oil burn due to defective PCV or breather valve designs. They’re meant to trap oils in the valve top which the PCV loses.

It’s beneficial to not only GDI but MPI engines too especially those with badly designed PCV and headers which can trap excessive air and vapors.
I've never heard of it till last night, we learn everyday. I'm guessing this will be good for cars like EOD, Jettas and some Camry's that seem to be notorious for the issues you mentioned. Is this device available in Nigeria ?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by Conner44: 6:14pm On May 30, 2022
MASTAkiLLAh:
I've never heard of it till last night, we learn everyday. I'm guessing this will be good for cars like EOD, Jettas and some Camry's that seem to be notorious for the issues you mentioned. Is this device available in Nigeria ?

You can create one by yourself. All you need is

A length of oil pipe/hose (the same type and size with the one running from your pcv to valve cover)

Two small pipes of similar diameter with your pcv hose fitting

Weld the pipes into a small container (vacuumed) with one sticking further into the container than the other (one pipe should be shallow and one should run half way deep)

Iron sponge (the type used in washing pots) that will be wrapped around the deeper running iron pipe inside the catch can

And hooks/hangers or a way to mount the can somewhere convenient in your engine bay (as far away from any major heat source as possible)

Also make sure the can you choose has a screw cover or you can weld a small tap/valve for emptying the contents out when it’s caught some oil.

I e done it before. I used one of all those aluminum water bottles that office workers usually carry around. On an EOD engine it caught some oil over the course of an oci and I’d recommend it to keep your valve train and intake manifold sludge free.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by BigDawsNet: 12:46pm On Jun 30, 2022
Which motor vehicle was prominently featured in the Bible? undecided

Honda, because the apostles were all in one Accord. grin grin grin

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by Mide70: 12:46pm On Jun 30, 2022
Hh
Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by kingscare1(m): 12:46pm On Jun 30, 2022
Ok.
Camry 05/06 For sale, Ac Chilling, Engine Sound, Gear 100%. Very Cheap.
Check my profile for more pictures.
Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by BibleStoreng: 12:46pm On Jun 30, 2022
Here to learn about cars!

3 Likes

Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by PaedophileProph: 12:48pm On Jun 30, 2022
Hi have not used it , so ham not saying anything
Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by phemmyfour: 12:48pm On Jun 30, 2022
See stress....it's not worth it
Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by Emperordynasty: 12:50pm On Jun 30, 2022
Landed Properties for Sale
In Uromi, Ekpoma, Irrua, Benin,
Dimensions 200by 200, 100by100,
100 by 50 etc
Price ranges 2.5m, 2m 10m and above
Uncompleted houses and fully
Completed houses in Benin city for sale ..
Contact us at 08084968437

1 Like

Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by WhizdomXX(m): 12:53pm On Jun 30, 2022
Here to learn. Go get your PVCS NOW.
Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by DenreleDave(m): 12:53pm On Jun 30, 2022
i no get car OP
Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by NairaLux(f): 12:53pm On Jun 30, 2022
grin

Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by EkelediliBuhari: 12:55pm On Jun 30, 2022
Conner44:

You can create one by yourself. All you need is

A length of oil pipe/hose (the same type and size with the one running from your pcv to valve cover)

Two small pipes of similar diameter with your pcv hose fitting

Weld the pipes into a small container (vacuumed) with one sticking further into the container than the other (one pipe should be shallow and one should run half way deep)

Iron sponge (the type used in washing pots) that will be wrapped around the deeper running iron pipe inside the catch can

And hooks/hangers or a way to mount the can somewhere convenient in your engine bay (as far away from any major heat source as possible)

Also make sure the can you choose has a screw cover or you can weld a small tap/valve for emptying the contents out when it’s caught some oil.

I e done it before. I used one of all those aluminum water bottles that office workers usually carry around. On an EOD engine it caught some oil over the course of an oci and I’d recommend it to keep your valve train and intake manifold sludge free.

Na French be this o

1 Like

Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by oluseyiforjesus(m): 12:55pm On Jun 30, 2022
Ok
Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by Lazenby007(m): 12:56pm On Jun 30, 2022
kingreign:

Your explanations are top notch. Kudos,bro
Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by adecerc: 12:58pm On Jun 30, 2022
Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by money121(m): 12:58pm On Jun 30, 2022
Ok
Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by sovwau: 12:59pm On Jun 30, 2022
Never heard of it
Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by GboyegaD(m): 1:05pm On Jun 30, 2022
kingreign:

You’re right, it’s very common upgrade on most track day cars for hobbyist and those who do street races both in US and Japan.

It’s a very common upgrade for the VQ35DE powered nissan/Infiniti cars due to their oil burning nature.

Does it mean I could ask my mechanic or can it be done during general servicing?
Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by kingreign(m): 1:09pm On Jun 30, 2022
GboyegaD:

Does it mean I could ask my mechanic or can it be done during general servicing?

It’s a simple design but most mechanic here may not know how it’s done. It’s those who are into tuners and racing stuffs that may know how to install them.

1 Like

Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by GboyegaD(m): 1:10pm On Jun 30, 2022
kingreign:

It’s a simple design but most mechanic here may not know how it’s done. It’s those who are into tuners and racing stuffs that may know how to install them.

Thanks. Will ask around.
Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by eleko1: 1:12pm On Jun 30, 2022
sad
Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by socialsimple: 1:12pm On Jun 30, 2022
Lol. Can my roadside kazeem install this grin

Re: Who Has Used An Oil Catch Can Before And What Is Your Experience ? (Pics) by adioolayi(m): 1:12pm On Jun 30, 2022
What are they talking about here please

grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do You Like The All New Mitsubishi Xpander? (photos) / Ford Gives Saudi Women's Activist Her Dream Car As Car Makers Rush To Advtertise / Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 Quattro Sport.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.