Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,861 members, 7,956,244 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:25 AM

Australians Vote To Support Same-sex Marriage - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Australians Vote To Support Same-sex Marriage (897 Views)

It Is High Time Nigeria Legalize Same Sex Marriage, Gay Clubs,bar And Events / Tanzania: Police Arrest 10 Suspected Gays For Organizing Same-sex Marriage / Overwhelming Joy As Thousands Celebrates Same-sex Marriage In Australia(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Australians Vote To Support Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 2:24pm On Nov 15, 2017
Australia has voted to endorse same sex marriage by a strong margin of 62 per cent to 38 per cent in an historic plebiscite that was welcomed by prime minister Malcolm Turnbull, who declared: “They voted for love”.

As thousands of people celebrated the results at rallies across the country, the Australian Bureau of Statistics announced that the turnout for the voluntary ballot was 79.5 per cent – one of the highest participation rates for any such referendum held around the world.

Mr Turnbull said the “overwhelming” victory of the “yes” vote – which was non-binding - would be followed by a free vote of MPs to change the law.
“They voted yes for fairness, they voted yes for commitment, they voted yes for love,” he said.
“I say to all Australians, whatever your views on this issue may be, we must respect the voice of the people. We asked them for their opinion and they have given it to us.
"It is unequivocal, it is overwhelming…. The people have voted yes for marriage equality. Now it is our job to deliver it.”
Mr Turnbull, who personally supports same sex marriage, said he hoped to hold a free, or conscience, vote in parliament before Christmas.

He faces strong resistance from a group of conservative MPs in the ruling Coalition who have urged him to ensure that wedding businesses are not required to participate in same sex marriages.
“I know many people - a minority obviously - voted no,” he said. “But we are a fair nation. There is nothing more Australian than a fair go.”

The vote was conducted by post and was non-binding.
The results showed that a majority of people in all states and territories voted “yes” and only 17 of 150 electorates voted “no”. The cities of Sydney and Melbourne had the highest “yes” results - about 84 per cent.

“What is clear … is the clarity of the result,” said David Kalisch, from the Australian Bureau of Statistics.
Bill Shorten, the Opposition Labor party leader, said the plebiscite was divisive and should not have been held. But he said the strong endorsement for same sex marriage showed that "unconditional love always has the last word".
"What a fabulous day to be an Australian," he said

Source; http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/14/australia-backs-same-sex-marriage-historic-postal-survey/
Re: Australians Vote To Support Same-sex Marriage by ibkayee(f): 2:46pm On Nov 15, 2017
Hmm, it's a step forward, let's see if the government actually pass it
Re: Australians Vote To Support Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 2:48pm On Nov 15, 2017
I am not homophobic cheesy I have a couple of gay friends but none thats quite close to me ATM, I like pretty boys
ibkayee:
Hmm, it's a step forward, now the government actually have to pass it

1 Like

Re: Australians Vote To Support Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 3:07pm On Nov 15, 2017
ibkayee:
Hmm, it's a step forward, let's see if the government actually pass it
The result was a big surprise to me because I use to feel Australia is a conservative country.

1 Like

Re: Australians Vote To Support Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 3:30pm On Nov 15, 2017
Homo habilis people grin
Re: Australians Vote To Support Same-sex Marriage by Caseless: 3:39pm On Nov 15, 2017
angry

This world don finish.

1 Like

Re: Australians Vote To Support Same-sex Marriage by Caseless: 3:43pm On Nov 15, 2017
ChiefPiiko:
I am not homophobic cheesy I have a couple of gay friends but none thats quite close to me ATM, I like pretty boys
undecided

Irritating...

Re: Australians Vote To Support Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 5:03pm On Nov 15, 2017
Ok
Caseless:
undecided

Irritating...
Re: Australians Vote To Support Same-sex Marriage by mujahid777(m): 10:23pm On Nov 15, 2017
ChiefPiiko:
You like pretty boys,asin?
Re: Australians Vote To Support Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 10:28pm On Nov 15, 2017
mujahid777:

You like pretty boys,asin?
the same way a girl sees her fellow chic and says this girl is pretty is the way I like handsome guy especially the cool ones not overly effeminate guys tho
Re: Australians Vote To Support Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 10:31pm On Nov 15, 2017
Wehdone Australia grin

Waiting 4 naija like kilode tongue
Re: Australians Vote To Support Same-sex Marriage by Angy55(f): 1:00pm On Dec 31, 2017
greiboy no reply from you yet undecided undecided.
Re: Australians Vote To Support Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 1:06pm On Dec 31, 2017
Angy55:
greiboy no reply from you yet undecided undecided.
please don't be annoyed

I can't access my gmail. please send it to the email on my personal text
Re: Australians Vote To Support Same-sex Marriage by Angy55(f): 1:09pm On Dec 31, 2017
greiboy:
please don't be annoyed

I can't access my gmail. please send it to the email on my personal text

Okay

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Australians Vote To Support Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 2:10pm On Dec 31, 2017
Angy55:

Okay
I haven't seen anything o
Re: Australians Vote To Support Same-sex Marriage by marunga(m): 2:13pm On Dec 31, 2017
sadit is finished. gays everywhere.
Re: Australians Vote To Support Same-sex Marriage by Angy55(f): 9:07pm On Dec 31, 2017
greiboy:
I haven't seen anything o

Okay then just send a p.m.
Re: Australians Vote To Support Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 8:17am On Jan 01, 2018
Angy55:

Okay then just send a p.m.
I can access my gmail.. That is why I have my other mail on my personal text
Re: Australians Vote To Support Same-sex Marriage by Lalas247(f): 8:26am On Jan 01, 2018
They will get the vote...... all this FUKERY because Eve didn’t hear word .... Kai

Anyway next will be adoption .. in the UK they already can marry and adopt too... ( child has father and father or mother and mother )

(1) (Reply)

Photos: Nollywood Actor Daniel K Daniel & Beauty Blogger, Tina Wed In Lagos / When A Threat Online Goes Horribly 'wrong' / Man Went Blind In One Eye After Heavy Sex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.