Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,080 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:08 PM

Pdp Loses Out On New Cabinet - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pdp Loses Out On New Cabinet (3057 Views)

Key Figures In Buhari’s New Cabinet And Profiles / Buhari Speaks To ARISE TV On New Cabinet, Saraki, Others / Anxiety Mounts As Buhari Keeps Tinubu, Atiku In The Dark Over New Cabinet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pdp Loses Out On New Cabinet by trueword: 5:50am On Mar 23, 2010
PDP loses out on new cabinet
Mar 23, 2010

*Orders screening of all nominees
*He’s searching for professionals — Ohakim

By Daniel Idonor & Simon Ebegbulem

[b]ABUJA—DESPITE frantic moves by the ruling Peoples’ Democratic Party, PDP, to beat Acting President Goodluck Jonathan into political line over the composition of the new Executive Council of the Federation, EXCOF, the party appears to be losing out as its input to the expected cabinet was still very scanty, at press time.

Investigations revealed that the last visit by PDP National Chairman, Prince Vincent Ogbulafor, to Aso Rock, Thursday, was to discuss with Jonathan on the need for the new EXCOF to have PDP outlook, a position which the governors are also canvassing. Jonathan’s men were, however, said to have rejected the idea, saying that it was not workable in view of the short time left for the administration.

As a pointer to this, Governor Ikedi Ohakim of Imo State, yesterday, rose from a consultative parley with Jonathan with a submission that the Acting President was looking for core professionals and technocrats in the composition of a new EXCOF.

This came as the list of nominees, observed to be seriously lacking in PDP representation, was sent to the relevant security outfits by Jonathan with a directive to commence immediate screening before forwarding same to the National Assembly for confirmation possibly by Thursday.

Vanguard learnt that the list made up of some of the former ministers from the dissolved cabinet, may have pitched Acting President Goodluck Jonathan against the PDP.

According to a Presidency source, names of about 10 former cabinet members are in the list being screened by the State Security Service, SSS, which include Mr. Odein Ajumogobia, Prince Adetokunbo Kayode, Chief Ojo Maduekwe, Prof. Dora Akunyili, Mrs. Deziani Allison-Madueke, Elder Godswill Orubebe among others. A one-time minister, Alhaji Adamu Waziri from Yobe State was also mentioned as one of those being screened.

It was gathered that some former ministers whose names were not yet listed were mounting intensive pressure on Jonathan’s men to get them on board; but this time, through the use of some party bigwigs.

While one of the affected ministers (names withheld) confirmed to Vanguard that he has just been screened for a possible ministerial slot, another former minister on PDP ticket said “nobody has called me,” noting that in a similar exercise carried out by Yar’Adua, it was well coordinated, as “one of us was calling us one after another for the screening.”

Fielding questions from State House Correspondents, Governor Ohakim said though he was not in Aso Rock to submit list of possible ministerial nominees, “I am a governor of a state and I have the right to submit my ministerial list.”

He stated, however, that “the Acting President is pragmatic, forward looking, and knows what to do,” noting that “he (Jonathan) knows the country has been trekking and we need to run fast.”[/b]

No friction with Jonathan

Ohakim said: “My mind tells me he will look for key professionals; those who can run with the ball, and give them responsibilities of driving activities of this country because we can’t wait forever. I know who he is and he has what it takes. In the next few days you will be happy with what is coming out from the exercise.”

He maintained that governors of the 36 states were not at daggers-drawn with Jonathan, insisting that “there can be no friction between the governors and the president. The President is to govern the country while the governors govern the states.
The governor noted that he came to “confer with the acting president on the issue of security in the state and luckily the acting president has given some approval. The government has agreed to tackle the issue of security, gangsterism and kidnapping.
“The government is disturbed by the social menace of kidnapping, but nobody can overwhelm government. Now that they are unable to use crude oil to finance their gangs they now decided that millionaires in Igboland must be taken hostage to finance their activities. We are waiting to see how illegalities will outweigh legalities.”

Anenih, Ogbemudia, Akhigbe in fresh war over ministerial nominee

As the race for who picks the Ministerial slot in the Edo State rages, four names have been submitted to the Presidency for consideration by different political camps in the state.

Vanguard was reliably informed that the names of the immediate past Minister of Defence, General Godwin Abbe (rtd), former Special Adviser to the President, Professor Julius Ihonvbere, former Secretary to the State Government, Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu and the Mr. Isaiah Osifo, the immediate past Chief of Staff to the State Government have been forwarded to the Presidency.

Vanguard learnt that the battle to push the appointment of these nominees was between the former Chairman of the Peoples’ Democratic Party, PDP, Chief Tony Anenih, two time Governor of old Bendel State, Dr. Samuel Ogbemudia, former Governor of the state, Chief Lucky Igbinedion and the former Chief of General Staff, Admiral Mike Akhigbe.

It was gathered that Anenih was backing the return of General Abbe but Vanguard learnt that Ihonvbere may be his second joker if any thing goes wrong with the nomination of Abbe.
Ihonvbere, it was learnt, may also get the support of his former boss, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo. Vanguard further gathered that former Governor Igbinedion was backing the nomination of his former SSG, Pastor Ize-Iyamu. The duo of Ogbemudia and Akhigbe are backing Osifo.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/03/23/pdp-loses-out-on-new-cabinet/
Re: Pdp Loses Out On New Cabinet by marvix(m): 6:23am On Mar 23, 2010
As Jonathan marches on to 2011, the PDP will kip gettin frustrated, this is d time for well meaning Nigerians to take their stand with destiny. Jonathan is d man who will finish PDP from within, my fingers are crossed as we kip watchin events as they unfold
Re: Pdp Loses Out On New Cabinet by blacksta(m): 6:37am On Mar 23, 2010
marvix:

As Jonathan marches on to 2011, the PDP will kip gettin frustrated, this is d time for well meaning Nigerians to take their stand with destiny. Jonathan is d man who will finish PDP from within, my fingers are crossed as we kip watchin events as they unfold

I also wish that pigs will start flying. Ol boy go and manage your expectations before you do yourself harm. Even bible talk am "hope deferred makes the heart sick"
Re: Pdp Loses Out On New Cabinet by slap1(m): 9:42am On Mar 23, 2010
Initial gragra, methinks.
Re: Pdp Loses Out On New Cabinet by Olayinkaoj(m): 12:48pm On Mar 23, 2010
Different stories from different angles.
Re: Pdp Loses Out On New Cabinet by ud4u: 1:03pm On Mar 23, 2010
The drama continues, fingers crossed
Re: Pdp Loses Out On New Cabinet by sayso: 1:41pm On Mar 23, 2010
whoever he selects to the office(s) are totally incompetent to handle real democratic issues in 9ja,they are all hoax politician including the CIC.
Re: Pdp Loses Out On New Cabinet by Nobody: 1:50pm On Mar 23, 2010
Ok
Re: Pdp Loses Out On New Cabinet by microgiant: 2:01pm On Mar 23, 2010
trueword:

As a pointer to this, Governor Ikedi Ohakim of Imo State, yesterday, rose from a consultative parley with Jonathan with a submission that the Acting President was looking for core professionals and technocrats in the composition of a new EXCOF.

trueword:

According to a Presidency source, names of about 10 former cabinet members are in the list being screened by the State Security Service, SSS, which include Mr. Odein Ajumogobia, Prince Adetokunbo Kayode, [b]Chief Ojo Maduekwe, [/b]Prof. Dora Akunyili, Mrs. Deziani Allison-Madueke, Elder Godswill Orubebe among others. A one-time minister, Alhaji Adamu Waziri from Yobe State was also mentioned as one of those being screened.
Didn't know this dude is a core technocrat. grin
Re: Pdp Loses Out On New Cabinet by Kx: 2:24pm On Mar 23, 2010
what is Ojo Maduaeke doing in that speculative list?
Re: Pdp Loses Out On New Cabinet by Manutddude(m): 2:34pm On Mar 23, 2010
microgiant:

Didn't know this dude is a core technocrat. grin

Did someone say Ojo Maduekwe again? Gosh! wish i heard Ribadu or El-Rufai, Or Rather Ezekwesili and not this old pot-bellied politician looking to milk Nigeria dry. God save us.
Re: Pdp Loses Out On New Cabinet by alanbolo(m): 3:19pm On Mar 23, 2010
watching from the sidelines.
Re: Pdp Loses Out On New Cabinet by Johnnoo(m): 3:21pm On Mar 23, 2010
Did someone say Ojo Maduekwe again? Gosh! wish i heard Ribadu or El-Rufai, Or Rather Ezekwesili and not this old pot-bellied politician looking to milk Nigeria dry. God save us.

;Dlol
Re: Pdp Loses Out On New Cabinet by 1Emmy: 4:23pm On Mar 23, 2010
[/quote][quote author=Kx link=topic=417814.msg5750143#msg5750143 date=1269350667]
what is Ojo Maduaeke doing in that speculative list?
That fool is a disgrace to southerners.
Re: Pdp Loses Out On New Cabinet by marvix(m): 4:40pm On Mar 23, 2010
blacksta:

I also wish that pigs will start flying. Ol boy go and manage your expectations before you do yourself harm. Even bible talk am "hope deferred makes the heart sick"

dont worry 2011 is around the corner, then we will see pigs flying in the stratosphere.

Nobody even thinks of commending him for his stance against the PDP, but if he had given in surely everyone would have starteds explaining what technocrat means.

I keep admiring Jonathan because he knows how to play the politics here in Nigeria, not like others who think that they can play politics like this is America or Iraq.

Goodluck to you Jonathan Godwosh
Re: Pdp Loses Out On New Cabinet by hardywaltz(m): 10:46pm On Mar 23, 2010
Technograts, round pegs in round holes??! We alwayz hear those words whenever a ministerial list is about to be composed. I dont see Jonathan refusing to accept a nomination from say the Sultan, Obi, Oba, IBB, Danjuma, David Mark, OBJ, Guasu, etc whose alliance(s) he must need if he is to govern in peace. Thats the way Ministerial nominations are taken up and that why they are over 41 in number (the largest compared to other countries) coz they need to accomodate several interest.
Re: Pdp Loses Out On New Cabinet by alldone(m): 4:51pm On Mar 24, 2010
he should be left alone to do the job
Re: Pdp Loses Out On New Cabinet by Nobody: 3:41pm On Mar 26, 2010
All fingers crossed, eyes opened transition is about 15 months away!

My prayer is that Nigeria should move 4ward; and not merrygoround
Re: Pdp Loses Out On New Cabinet by solokay(m): 3:46pm On Mar 29, 2010
really!. Jonathan not a PDP puppet?. time will tell

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Adeboye: Buhari Vs Jonathan / Abia To Employ 50,000 Youths / Edmund Obilo Speaking @ Civic Centre Ibadan, Today @ 2pm. Join Us!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.