Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,128 members, 7,818,379 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:57 PM

Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? - Phones (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? (20321 Views)

Telcos To Block Millions From Mobile Banking Over Banks Debt / Leaked Memo Shows Banks Asked Telcos To Charge For USSD (pics) / How To Add Numbers To Airtel Family And Friends 2019 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by CrtlAltDel: 10:26am On Nov 17, 2017
ikorodureporta:
Some days ago, a friend i was chatting with online said he called & i ddnt pick his call. I checked my missed calls but couldnt find his number among the missed calls. So, i did not believe that he called...

So, later i picked a naija line (080...) & he was d one on line. Dis guy is not in Naija & not aware of the changes too. I cross-checked the missed calls & found out that the number's slghtly diff from the one he used recently...

Why're the telcos doing this without our consent? Hope they'r not tapping our lines....
It is called SIMBOX and it is fraudulent.
Google it
grin grin
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by GetUmad: 10:27am On Nov 17, 2017
cefezyA:
It probably your friend is even using voice over internet to communicate you like whistle phone sure it must be voi can't be a standard sim line whistle phone does that wella Skype does it too TextNow might do same so they prefer to using those app so they might only need to connect to WiFi to make call and stay long that reason why you can't dial same number back in Nigeria format and get them instead you will be speaking with some here in Nigeria that the owner the number keep changing when ever they called

Pathetic!

Only say what you know Oga. You people should stop AUTHORITATIVELY miseducating people. It's plain annoying
I use Lyca mobile SIM to call Nigeria and it would appear as Glo or airtel number sometimes in lieu of my own number. Each call attempts with new random numbers. Same thing when I buy call cards.
if you had said they eventually get routed over Voip I could agree but not saying it's wi-fi and stay long thrash you wrote there.

I've had someone call me before from Nigeria with a fixed line as well and it showed just 3 digits.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by IForgotMyLoginD(f): 11:04am On Nov 17, 2017
Your friend is probably using a calling card for international calls. It's cheaper. The Nigerian Telecom companies have nothing to do with this.

ikorodureporta:
Some days ago, a friend i was chatting with online said he called & i ddnt pick his call. I checked my missed calls but couldnt find his number among the missed calls. So, i did not believe that he called...

So, later i picked a naija line (080...) & he was d one on line. Dis guy is not in Naija & not aware of the changes too. I cross-checked the missed calls & found out that the number's slghtly diff from the one he used recently...

Why're the telcos doing this without our consent? Hope they'r not tapping our lines....
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by chimchim1(m): 11:29am On Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, you are correct. I just returned from the US about a week ago. I spent lots of cash making calls until my friend advised me to download an app called "boss revolution". Making international calls from the app is far cheaper than the regular calls. Then, this app now converts whatever number u are using to a local number in the country u are calling. If u call a particular number for say 5 times, the receiver sees 5 different numbers.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by chimchim1(m): 11:34am On Nov 17, 2017
I used lyca mobile too in the US recently but I didn't notice that until I downloaded one app called "boss revolution ". It's far cheaper calling Nigeria with boss revolution and it keep displaying Nigerian numbers to the receiver.
GetUmad:

Pathetic!

Only say what you know Oga. You people should stop AUTHORITATIVELY miseducating people. It's plain annoying
I use Lyca mobile SIM to call Nigeria and it would appear as Glo or airtel number sometimes in lieu of my own number. Each call attempts with new random numbers. Same thing when I buy call cards.
if you had said they eventually get routed over Voip I could agree but not saying it's wi-fi and stay long thrash you wrote there.

I've had someone call me before from Nigeria with a fixed line as well and it showed just 3 digits.

1 Like

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by clemmonce(m): 11:34am On Nov 17, 2017
afoltundeseun:
what you're saying doesn't even make sense at all
point of correction. It doesnt make to you. He is correct, everything he said is correct
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by salesforce: 11:38am On Nov 17, 2017
Hmmm
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by linearity: 12:22pm On Nov 17, 2017
MAKERIGHT:
This is outright fraud and an affront to national security , I wonder what the DSS , EFCC and NCC are not in collaboration to investigating the Telcos who are manipulating the international numbers to local number to generate more revenue.
This process is called refiling and am aware that NCC is aware of this issue , why this is still going on unabated is what still baffles me.
NCC is quick to fine erring Telcos but look the other way when this issue is reported to them.
This process involves modifying the calling(International numbers) to a local number and terminating the call as local to local call, the Telco receiving the call and terminating it to the called number charges the overseas Telco(international network from where call is being made) $ USD, then modifies the number to local number to pay local interconnect for terminating the call on local network.
For example the calling number is +1322343 calling a local number 01232XXXX, if the telco modifies the calling number to 080XXXXX, 080XXXXX appears as the caller ID on called number 01232XXXX.
Please keep raising this issue till it receives the required attention.

Has nothing to do with telecom companies. The telecom companies are even loading revenue as a result of this practice.

It is done by fraudulent Nigerians with the help of international calling card companies, this way they can terminate international call over IP locally in Nigeria and bypass the telecom companies international termination charges.

This practice increased rapidly since early last year because NCC increased international terminating charges by about 500%. The only way to curb the practice is either to increase local termination charges to be at par with international ones or reduce international charges.

Though both rates does not have to be the same to completely eliminate the practice, but if they make the percentage difference about 20% or so, the financial benefits will be eliminated. Telecom companies will see a boost in revenue and more tax revenue to the government.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by arnold123: 12:50pm On Nov 17, 2017
ikorodureporta:

its a calling card to Nigeria he purchased, thats why, i live in the uk and Nigeria too, so i have the experience. good luck bro
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Nov 17, 2017
RapportNaija:

Never say what you didn't know. Z boy Ni!

OP, it is true they do it! I don't know why, but that's what they do!

Okay, I'm trying to recollect the reason...

I heard it was because they try to make the calls cheaper, that's why they change to local numbers.

International networks discovered that Nigerian networks charge exorbitant calling fees, so they found a way around it by converting to local numbers...

While you're here, see HOW TO STYLISHLY GET A WOMAN'S PHONE NUMBER

Not true. It's the 3rd party networks making it cheaper.

@ikorodureporta, tell dt person to call u directly from his phone. Without any apps, calling cards, intl SIM cards or anything he's subscribed to dt makes intl calls cheaper. You'll see the real number will show up.

These numbers only come up when they're using cheap intl calling cards or apps. Very few pple call direct from their normal at&t, T-Mobile (other normal network) lines cos it's expensive. Everyone just buys cards.

1 Like

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Lincoln275(m): 1:28pm On Nov 17, 2017
jacoik:
hhhhh shebi na my slap dey hungry u abi
u b soldier?
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by rayzornaija(m): 1:50pm On Nov 17, 2017
I have been experiencing this problem for months now
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by brixton: 2:06pm On Nov 17, 2017
Lordcenturion2:
Yes that's true, even some of my family members will ask me if am in Nigeria, they will says it's glo or something number show on their phone,..

I tried to find out, some people said is because to call Nigeria from outside is now expensive, and the telecoms will tried to decode it and use Nigerian number just to press down the call rate charges a little bit,

Early last year, I can make 25-30 minutes calls with only 10 dollars but now 10 dollar can only stand for just 3-5 minutes....i heard that ncc or something has increased international inbound or something....

Bros why u de lie?
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by sorom4: 2:35pm On Nov 17, 2017
naijaboiy:
How many other people has it happened to before you concluded it’s their doing?
it always happen to me and many people that I know
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by sorom4: 2:36pm On Nov 17, 2017
That is not true
janellemonae:

Not true. It's the 3rd party networks making it cheaper.

@ikorodureporta, tell dt person to call u directly from his phone. Without any apps, calling cards, intl SIM cards or anything he's subscribed to dt makes intl calls cheaper. You'll see the real number will show up.

These numbers only come up when they're using cheap intl calling cards or apps. Very few pple call direct from their normal at&t, T-Mobile (other normal network) lines cos it's expensive. Everyone just buys cards.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by DjAndroid: 4:22pm On Nov 17, 2017
afoltundeseun:
what you're saying doesn't even make sense at all
he made sense and that is the answer to op's question. They convert the number to look like a local number so the call charge won't be too high for the caller. That is to say, the Nigerian network will see the incoming call as a local number, hence local call rate.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Coolgent(m): 7:09pm On Nov 17, 2017
Lordcenturion2:
Yes that's true, even some of my family members will ask me if am in Nigeria, they will says it's glo or something number show on their phone,..

I tried to find out, some people said is because to call Nigeria from outside is now expensive, and the telecoms will tried to decode it and use Nigerian number just to press down the call rate charges a little bit,

Early last year, I can make 25-30 minutes calls with only 10 dollars but now 10 dollar can only stand for just 3-5 minutes....i heard that ncc or something has increased international inbound or something....
As a sharp guy na whatsapp call i dey use to call my people whenever i travel outside 9ja
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by jacoik(m): 3:30pm On Nov 18, 2017
Lincoln275:

u b soldier?
lolssss I be one stupid bloody civilian ooooo but when my papa dey alive he once told me he is a member of bianfran soldier. So as my papa be soldier so, I think automatically his son should be. Abi?
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Lincoln275(m): 5:37pm On Nov 18, 2017
jacoik:
lolssss I be one stupid bloody civilian ooooo but when my papa dey alive he once told me he is a member of bianfran soldier. So as my papa be soldier so, I think automatically his son should be. Abi?
FYI my bro. I b nigeria soldier, plz come and slap me
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by supereagle(m): 8:40pm On Nov 18, 2017
A friend called from Canada I had a similar experience.
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Nobody: 12:52am On Nov 25, 2017
linearity:

Has nothing to do with telecom companies. The telecom companies are even loading revenue as a result of this practice.

It is done by fraudulent Nigerians with the help of international calling card companies, this way they can terminate international call over IP locally in Nigeria and bypass the telecom companies international termination charges.

This practice increased rapidly since early last year because NCC increased international terminating charges by about 500%. The only way to curb the practice is either to increase local termination charges to be at par with international ones or reduce international charges.

Though both rates does not have to be the same to completely eliminate the practice, but if they make the percentage difference about 20% or so, the financial benefits will be eliminated. Telecom companies will see a boost in revenue and more tax revenue to the government.

You are correct. The reason most people see different Caller ID's is because they are using providers/calling card companies that use "grey routes". These grey routes are mostly illegal and is referred to as sim box fraud. If you want your caller ID displayed all the time. Simply use a provider that uses the legal interconnect to Nigeria. For users with this issue, ask them to use Otubio and they will always get Caller ID displayed. Sim Box fraud and the Caller ID issue is discussed here for anyone wanting more information: https://www.otubio.com/estore/caller-id-for-international-calls-to-nigeria.aspx

1 Like

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by lockedOut: 10:53pm On Jan 05, 2018
This is actually a fraudulent activity by the foreign company to dupe Nigerian telecom operators.

By tweaking the system to show the call originated as a local number they end up paying lower interconnect rates compared to when its international termination.

ikorodureporta:

Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by sicily4u: 4:18am On Jan 06, 2018
not only in nigeria, it happen in some other countries, i have called someone from outside naija an it shows local number in their country
Re: Why're Telcos Converting Foreign Phone Numbers To 080 Without Users' Consent? by Luckyway: 11:59am On Mar 02, 2018
lockedOut:
This is actually a fraudulent activity by the foreign company to dupe Nigerian telecom operators.

By tweaking the system to show the call originated as a local number they end up paying lower interconnect rates compared to when its international termination.

Please check your mail, sir.
Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Use Your MTN Blackberry Subscription On TECNO And Then On PC / How To Recover Back Your Stolen Or Lost Itel Phone / What Words Do You Hate Seeing On Social Media?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.