Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

What To Do About "Yoruba Demons" - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What To Do About "Yoruba Demons" (738 Views)

They Are Actually Yoruba Demons / How Yoruba Demons Are Born - Meme Collection / How Yoruba Demons Are Born (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What To Do About "Yoruba Demons" by khalids: 1:37pm On Nov 17, 2017
Curled from http://risibyname..com.ng/2017/10/here-come-boys.html

HERE COME THE BOYS

There was big hoha a few weeks back in Naija when a church in the build up to running a programme decided to give it a somewhat provocative tag line. We all know these tag lines, the more catchy, the more likely they are to gather attention and grow the ministry. They usually go something along these lines:
Oh God, Na Like This We Go Dey? (Single and Married Talk Show!)
Pray Yourself Towards A Husband Before End of 2017~ Revelation Power Assembly
Rid Yourself of Spiritual Husband in 10 Days~ Banqueter’s Ministry�
King Of Curses & Demonic Covenants ~ Prison Break Ministries
Lord Where Is My Money~ Comforters Chapel�
4 Days Travel Programme: Anointing To Travel, Fast Track To America (true story folk, I did not make that one up!)

Anyways sorry for that brief digression; Harvesters International Christian Church stunned people and set social media agog when they released their tagline for a programme:
“How To Identify A Yoruba Demon” �

Yawa come gas…People were not playing!
Now for those of you that don't know I will refer you to The Urban Dictionary (Wikipedia cannot help us here!) for definition of A Yoruba Demon:
"A Yoruba demon is typically a young man of Yoruba (the Yoruba is a tribe predominantly found in South West Nigeria ) descent who has the uncanny gift to effortlessly make ladies fall head over heels in love with him. He is naturally a gifted smooth talker and Cassanova and prides himself in being able to acquire a huge following of female admirers and side chicks.
He is also gifted at absolving himself of any responsibility in his relationships. Generally, he is a seductive cock-tail of sweet and bitter"

2nd definition given: "Yoruba Demon is typically a Nigerian guy (yoruba) who goes after a young lady's heart with no intention of loving her. They are typically met at parties and would mostly wear white agbada (clothing) starched with tears, depression & broken hearts!�
(Guys; don't shoot the messenger, no be me talk am)

Now back to the matter, this tagline has been described as being divisive, tribalistic, ignorant and unacceptable. Yoruba men have suffered Ooo.
Though theory has it that the term ‘Yoruba Demon’ is merely symbolic and does not necessarily target the Yoruba tribe exclusively….but rather term refers to any male Naija ‘player’ heartbreaker irrespective of their tribe be they Ibo, Hausa, Calabar, Urhobo or Tiv.

But people questioned if that was the case why didn't the church simply use “How To Identify A Potential Heartbreaker” on the banner and further wondered how a communications team of a church could have approved and signed off such derogatory innuendo.
Another school of thought however said that as Christians that want to wins souls we need to engage with the world to influence it. The debate went on back and forth. Grey area would you say?

I watched Nollywood film recently where a group of yoruba guys rather similar to those in pic above arrived at the venue for a party, looking all 51 shades of hotness, rocking the goatee beard and bald head look; they looked ‘neat’ one could literally smell the cologne they were wearing, you know like where Tom Ford meets Leather perfume (you know yourselves!), for dramatic effect the guys arrival was filmed in slow-motion all of them ‘on dark shades’ adjusting their ‘agbada’ as they stepped out their respective plush rides making an entrance at the party.
You could hear each deliberate footstep as their newly launched loafers ‘mashed’ the crisp gravel under their feet.

The girls at the party on spotting the guys arrival; all hell let loose as they all ‘picked race’ and started running away….reminded me of a scene out of Jurassic Park you know, like when the dinosaurs are hunting and on the prowl�
Everywhere scatter-scatter!! Some of the girls ran into the garden foliage, others jumped into swimming pool, some were climbing over the fence in their slim fit tight fishtail skirts (quite a sight), all screaming hysterically, some fainting. Others were ‘offing’ their ‘shoe’ to pick race, wigs were flying and gele (head wrap) removed from head and tied firmly around waist as they all literally took cover. Meanwhile the guys with their sincere smiles plastered on their faces were so unconcerned with the pandemonium they had created around them as they strolled in casually.

Apparently their most recycled expressions are:
"Baby, I Think We Should Keep Us Low Key"
"I am not one of them"
"You're the only girl I talk to"
"I'm seeing her but I'm not with her"
"What exactly counts as cheating"
Here come the boys….

I also saw this quote on a twitter handle recently:
“Yoruba Igbo/Hausa boys winning souls since 1867
Boy breaks girls heart
Girl is hurt
Girl turns to Christ and becomes Born again
BOOM!!!
Boy has indirectly won a soul for Christ”

I laughed so hard, so folk:Yoruba Demon: Fact Or Myth? Looking at photograph at bottom of post what thoughts come to mind?

On that note have a good weekend, Thank God It’s Friday

(1) (Reply)

Does Anyone Know An Affordable Gym At Lekki? / Woman Blame Husband Infecting Her With 3 SDTs, Prophet Distroy 11 Years Marriage / Cars! Cars!! Cars!!! See Your Dream Cars - Quickmarket.ng

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.