Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,267 members, 7,811,760 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:05 PM

Olubode Olusesan Bini, Not Yoruba, Are Original Owners Of Lagos – Ajayi-bembe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Olubode Olusesan Bini, Not Yoruba, Are Original Owners Of Lagos – Ajayi-bembe (868 Views)

Fani-Kayode: I Am Not Yoruba, Fulanis Call South-East Yamiri & South-West Yoruba / Osasu Igbinedion Reacts As Dr Olusesan Accuses Her Family Of Corruption / ICYMI: Bini, Not Yoruba, Are Original Owners Of Lagos – Ajayi-bembe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Olubode Olusesan Bini, Not Yoruba, Are Original Owners Of Lagos – Ajayi-bembe by golddust6000(m): 6:56pm On Nov 19, 2017
A former President of the Association of Lagos State Indigenes, Chief Layi Ajayi-Bembe, in this interview with BAYO AKINLOYE says the real owners of Lagos are the Bini, not the Yoruba

What is your lineage as a Lagosian?

My grandfather was Ajayi Bembe; the eighth Obanikoro of Lagos – my father was the last of his children. My mother was the first child of Gbajabiamila (of Olowogbowo fame) – of course, of Lagos. When it comes to the ownership of Lagos, it is sad when people talk about Lagos being no man’s land or Lagos being part of Yoruba land – I consider that position to be an abomination. Yes, because of the affinity or geographical location of Lagos, we’re nearer to the South-West (the Yoruba) than to other regions. It should be stated that Lagos has always been independent of the West. When I returned from England, (Chief Obafemi) Awolowo was in prison; before I came back to Nigeria, there had been agitations that Lagos wasn’t part of the West. No doubt that a lot of us speak Yoruba – in my family, we’re Bini. Oba of Lagos (Rilwan Akiolu) was completely right that the early settlers in Lagos were the Awori and the Bini. We’re talking about the Island of Lagos.
Continue....

http://punchng.com/?s=Bini+are+the+owner+of+lagos+
Re: Olubode Olusesan Bini, Not Yoruba, Are Original Owners Of Lagos – Ajayi-bembe by cashlurd(m): 7:15pm On Nov 19, 2017
Re: Olubode Olusesan Bini, Not Yoruba, Are Original Owners Of Lagos – Ajayi-bembe by Valarmoghulis(m): 7:59pm On Nov 19, 2017
***///
Re: Olubode Olusesan Bini, Not Yoruba, Are Original Owners Of Lagos – Ajayi-bembe by Sammy07: 8:01pm On Nov 19, 2017
Before I go further.

Help me ask him if his name resemble Beni name
Re: Olubode Olusesan Bini, Not Yoruba, Are Original Owners Of Lagos – Ajayi-bembe by meforyou1(m): 8:02pm On Nov 19, 2017
God bless Chief Ajayi. Lagos is not yorubaland
Re: Olubode Olusesan Bini, Not Yoruba, Are Original Owners Of Lagos – Ajayi-bembe by ImperialYoruba: 8:13pm On Nov 19, 2017
History has it that the Awori were actually from Ife the cradle of Yorubaland. The Awori people are a peaceful people initially not taken to warfare. Due to war, those from the hinterlands, like the Ekiti ran towards Isheri which at that time had more than one Olofin (Alafin)who were heads of probably respective settlements about 1400AD. With the fleeing people from the hinterlands most of them scattered again to different places, some to Iro, to Otta, Ado, others to Ebute Metta i.e three landing places - Oyingbo, Iddo and Lagos Island (Eko). The Olofin that brought those who went to Ebute-Metta was Ogunfunminire later known as Agbodere. With the full commencement of the war about 2000 moved to the nearest island of Iddo, others to Otto Awori or Otto Ijanikin towards modern-day Badagry. Those from Ekiti Aramoko came to Ebute-Metta, Iddo and then Ijora. The Olofin was said to have 32 children. His own known children are Olumegbon, Aromire, Oloto, Oluwa, Oniru, Onisiwo, Onitoolo, and Elegushi. Ojora, Onikoyi and Mogiso were not his biological children. After the demise of Agbodere, the name Olofin became the name used to remember him while a title of Oloto was given to his seccessor. With one of his sons becoming the Oloto his other children parted ways to what is known as visible settlements in the present day Lagos. Aromire whose name means defeated the river or became the river's friend is likely to be the first to cross being said to have swam across the river. It is possible that his real name is not Aromire but due to the feat he became known as such.

From Edo side
http://www.edoworld.net/History_of_Lagos_State.html
Re: Olubode Olusesan Bini, Not Yoruba, Are Original Owners Of Lagos – Ajayi-bembe by ImperialYoruba: 8:16pm On Nov 19, 2017
Lagos was originally inhabited by the Awori subgroup of the Yoruba people in the 15th century, who called it "Oko". Under the leadership of the Oloye Olofin, the Awori moved to an island now called Iddo and then to the larger Lagos Island. In the 16th century, the Awori settlement was conquered by the Benin Empire and the island became a Benin war-camp called "Eko" under Oba Orhogba, the Oba of Benin at the time. Eko is still the native name for Lagos.

From Lagos side
https://www.lagosat50.org.ng/history/history-of-lagos
Re: Olubode Olusesan Bini, Not Yoruba, Are Original Owners Of Lagos – Ajayi-bembe by ImperialYoruba: 8:25pm On Nov 19, 2017
Ajayi Bembe need to go and settle the disputes and conflicts of succession within his Bini clan and stop bothering Yorubas about the origin of Lagos and its owners.

In 1865 when Dosunmu signed Lagos to Beecroft the Idejo Chiefs opposed the move and told Beecroft Dosunmu is a Bini man. He brought throne but he did not bring land. The land belonged to the sons of Olofin.

Beecroft acknowledged that submission and therefore entered into lease agreement with the chiefs, not the King....because the King owned no land, beside the parcel of space given him for the palace and as well for his chiefs in the immediate vicinity of the palace.

1 Like

Re: Olubode Olusesan Bini, Not Yoruba, Are Original Owners Of Lagos – Ajayi-bembe by Mynd44: 9:31pm On Nov 19, 2017

(1)

APC Is My Final Bus Stop - Atiku / See The Real President Come 2019 CONFIRMED / 2019: Crisis Looms In PDP As Bigwigs Get Set To Engage In Public Battle Over VP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.