Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:43 AM

5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria (13752 Views)

These High End luxury Electric Cars Are Coming To Compete With Tesla (Photos) / 8 Electric Cars That Sells Below N14 Million (PHOTOS) / Reasons Why Electric Cars Have Only 1 Gear & Not Multi-geared Like Typical Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by ZACHIE: 10:59am On Nov 22, 2017
You buy petrol to power generator to charge electric car.
Genius!!!
Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by Artisticity1: 11:00am On Nov 22, 2017
I wan sel my own who wan buy? Hit like if u wan buy... I knw men of little faith wut.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by correctguy101(m): 11:01am On Nov 22, 2017
You buy one with hopes on using it in Nigeria, you buy wahala.....
My small Honda CR-V is ok for me abeg....
Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by olajide21: 11:02am On Nov 22, 2017
euromilion:
The production of the combustion engines will end before 2030 so what other choice will Nigerians get?

As per price,tokumbo EV will soon flood the markets so no yawa.

May God spare us beyond 2030. Nigeria as we know it would not be ready to accept such changes. Our priorities are misplaced at the moment. We lack conscious development and it doesn't even seems that we have started. "The leaders" would rather replenish their pocket than to develop the country. We would rather fight each other than to demand for our rights from "The leaders". Imagine how much the various governments have spent while in power? I mean take the last 25 years? We have spent Trillions and power supply is worse!!!.... Until we have a united front as Citizens and demand our collective rights from politicians, we would keep taking a back seat in the developmental achievements the world sees.....

I wish us good luck.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by calberian: 11:13am On Nov 22, 2017
We neva see lyt to take charge phone. Na car we wan charge.

Yeye dey smell
Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by misano(m): 11:15am On Nov 22, 2017
Op is lost EV.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by kevoh(m): 11:22am On Nov 22, 2017
It will sell, only just a matter of time. Once third hand values of such vehicles starts getting dumped in 9ja at cheaper rates, advancement in fast charging and slow discharging technology e.t.c . Even fuel filling station owners in Nigeria might convert to mini power stations using solar panels as source of power, don't ask me how, I know it's possible.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by Neoteny(m): 12:20pm On Nov 22, 2017
AutoJoshNG:

By Donald3d

https://autojosh.com/5-reasons-electric-cars-wont-sell-nigeria/

Misinformation replete in this shiit.

Range anxiety is only an issue when you're going longer distances. A typical Tesla goes about 400 to 500 kilometers on a single charge. In countries where Tesla has a presence they built a network of Superchargers where you can charge (free for model S and X, quite cheap for Model 3) with 90% charge in about 30 mins.

Also, no one needs to do any energy to distance conversion as you posit. The car's displays and the mobile app tell you the range you could achieve on your current charge level.

As for the price, $30,000 for an entry level Model 3 is quite cheap since the car is crammed with technology. Also, don't forget this is relatively new and evolving market. Prices will come down.

Maintenance not really a problem given the car has almost zero mechanical parts outside the drivetrain. With fewer things to wear out, the total cost of liefetime ownership goes down. Amd Tesla does have service centers in markets it sells cars.

Blame your country for having weak infrastructure that makes it impossible to move along with technology.

It's a crying shame that an Airbus A380 can't land in any airport in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by jimbson: 12:36pm On Nov 22, 2017
China go do power bank no worry urself grin
Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by tealaw(m): 12:40pm On Nov 22, 2017
Oyinbo ppl go come try dump their gasoline vehicles in Africa very soon. As dumb as we r in Africa we go embrace am.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by Nebostic: 12:43pm On Nov 22, 2017
Imagine driving electric cars in lekki during raining season
AutoJoshNG:

By Donald3d

Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:06pm On Nov 22, 2017
AutoJoshNG:

By Donald3d

The time of solar powered cars and electric cars have not come....... It's still in the future. Also na person whey get Electricity go use Electric cars.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by iamjavadem(m): 1:22pm On Nov 22, 2017
This is trash talk, reminds me of when automatic gear cars just came to Nigeria and people were wondering how to jump start it.
Point 1, 2 and 3 are trash because Telsa cars have a range of 500 miles, i drive only 200 miles a week to work.
We have power issues in Nigeria yet you can charge your phone or laptop to post this trash, where did you get the power? These cars can be charged at home with NEPA or generator while you are watching telemondo.
Point 4, relatively expensive, do you even know how much other cars you see everyday on Nigerian roads cost, how much is range rover and see how many we have on the road.
Point 5, Maintenance? Did you even do any research on these EVs before posting this trash. They are electrical not mechanical and will require far less maintaining since they have less moving parts.
Conclusion. Please stop posting trash and do your research.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by olushowunm(m): 3:08pm On Nov 22, 2017
AutoJoshNG:

By Donald3d

if it's cheaper... People will start taking their I beta pass my neighbor travel. So in case the car goes dead... U just park and start the generator to charge for 5hrs....
Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by otil1: 4:48pm On Nov 22, 2017
Add: Cooling / air conditionimg

In Nigeria, it is compulsory to have a/c if you wish to have any comfort while driving. With a/c the power drain is much more as the battery has to power both the drive transmission as well as cooling.

Not great.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:33pm On Nov 22, 2017
I can bet my life, it'll actually work in 9ja. Dem go use generator charge am na. grin grin In 9ja, we love to improvise instead of devising a long-term solutions and strategies.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by feran15(m): 5:35pm On Nov 22, 2017
psalmson001:
Let me summarize all the above reasons into one:
>NEPA/PHCN/EDISCOs or what eva they call themselves now.

But these electric vehicles suppose don develope reach the stage that they can charge themselves either by generating power as they move, or from solar.

there isn't enough surface area on a typical car to generate enough electricity. the best that can happen is that charging stations are powered by solar panels or better batteries to last longer

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by feran15(m): 5:40pm On Nov 22, 2017
iamjavadem:
This is trash talk, reminds me of when automatic gear cars just came to Nigeria and people were wondering how to jump start it.
Point 1, 2 and 3 are trash because Telsa cars have a range of 500 miles, i drive only 200 miles a week to work.
We have power issues in Nigeria yet you can charge your phone or laptop to post this trash, where did you get the power? These cars can be charged at home with NEPA or generator while you are watching telemondo.
Point 4, relatively expensive, do you even know how much other cars you see everyday on Nigerian roads cost, how much is range rover and see how many we have on the road.
Point 5, Maintenance? Did you even do any research on these EVs before posting this trash. They are electrical not mechanical and will require far less maintaining since they have less moving parts.

take it easy. no need to fight. a Tesla is still expensive and an average person cant afford it.
you cant compare the charging time of a car to that of a laptop and using a generator to charge is really no different from using fuel power. and it would greatly increase your power bill especially if you're using a prepaid meter
point 5 acknowledges that you only need to rotate tyres as maintenance, but then if there is a big fault, there is nowhere to fix that here in nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by davidhoop: 11:37am On Nov 23, 2017
One interesting aspect to consider with ev in Nigeria are the very bad roads and drainage during rainy season
Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by Kfed4ril(m): 2:20pm On Nov 23, 2017
psalmson001:
Let me summarize all the above reasons into one:
>NEPA/PHCN/EDISCOs or what eva they call themselves now.

But these electric vehicles suppose don develope reach the stage that they can charge themselves either by generating power as they move, or from solar.

The Tesla has a quick charging function that enables you to charge for just 5 mins for an additional like two hours drive.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by LaudateII: 3:59am On Dec 08, 2017
AutoJoshNG:
By Donald3d

Interesting! cool Permission to re-post these comments on other threads, sir?
Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by LaudateII: 4:01am On Dec 08, 2017
iamjavadem:

Have you owned and driven an electric car for any period of time, before - in a 3rd world country like Nigeria?? Just asking...because most of those I know who brought hybrid cars into the country are still lamenting, till date. They are good when they are new...but later? By the time our mechanics and rewires start putting their hands into it, the story changes to a sad one.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by LaudateII: 4:13am On Dec 08, 2017
Neoteny:
Misinformation replete in this shiit.

Range anxiety is only an issue when you're going longer distances. A typical Tesla goes about 400 to 500 kilometers on a single charge. In countries where Tesla has a presence they built a network of Superchargers where you can charge (free for model S and X, quite cheap for Model 3) with 90% charge in about 30 mins.

Also, no one needs to do any energy to distance conversion as you posit. The car's displays and the mobile app tell you the range you could achieve on your current charge level.

As for the price, $30,000 for an entry level Model 3 is quite cheap since the car is crammed with technology. Also, don't forget this is relatively new and evolving market. Prices will come down.

Maintenance not really a problem given the car has almost zero mechanical parts outside the drivetrain. With fewer things to wear out, the total cost of liefetime ownership goes down. Amd Tesla does have service centers in markets it sells cars.

Blame your country for having weak infrastructure that makes it impossible to move along with technology.

It's a crying shame that an Airbus A380 can't land in any airport in Nigeria.

No need to hyperventilate. shocked Prices of these EV cars are subsidised by Western governments, directly or indirectly, which is why quite a number of them look cheap. sad I doubt if they would subsidise models that are to be exported to Nigeria. undecided And a network of Superchargers has NOT even been built in any part of this country, yet. Before this can be done, a company like Tesla would look at the cost implication, and weigh it against the total number of cars being exported annually into Nigeria, before deciding to invest in supercharging points. It is naive to assume that Tesla, Nissan, Chevrolet etc, would automatically set up charging points in Nigeria, simply because a few people have shipped in 50 - 100 units of its' electric cars.

Those who choose to charge their electric cars at home, are very unlikely to have access to supercharging facilities, and would have to make do with a Level 1 or Level 2 plugs for charging. In models like the Ford Fusion Energi (9 hours), you need to plug the car in overnight, in order to get just 19 miles of travel range, by the morning.

Now, would such supercharging points be run on our epileptic power supply, or would they be run using generators? If they invest in generators, (especially diesel ones) the commercial cost of sustaining such generators as well as fuelling and maintaining them, could make the retail cost of charging, rather prohibitive. Some firms have actually folded up in Nigeria, due to poor power supply.... because of the enormous cost of generating their own alternative power. Anyway, this is not an insurmountable problem. a work around might be devised, where applicable. undecided

Thirdly, do we have adequate number of trained mechanics and/or electrical technicians, with proper knowledge of how to fix these cars, in case anything goes wrong? sad The knowledge pool and tools for handling these cars needs to be in place, before adoption of electric cars can become a reality.

Finally, what happens to the dead batteries in such cars when they expire? What recycling plants exist for handling such things, so that they do not contaminate our environment, or become toxic wastes? Don't forget that quite a bit of lithium is used for these batteries, and there have been talks about whether ionizing radiation is emitted from the huge battery packs, these cars carry. Replacement costs of these batteries are also quite prohibitive, and with fluctuating exchange rates, they are likely to cost much more.

Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by Neoteny(m): 6:10am On Dec 08, 2017
LaudateII:

No need to hyperventilate. shocked Prices of these EV cars are subsidised by Western governments, directly or indirectly, which is why quite a number of them look cheap. sad I doubt if they would subsidise models that are to be exported to Nigeria. undecided And a network of Superchargers has NOT even been built in any part of this country, yet. Before this can be done, a company like Tesla would look at the cost implication, and weigh it against the total number of cars being exported annually into Nigeria, before deciding to invest in supercharging points. It is naive to assume that Tesla, Nissan, Chevrolet etc, would automatically set up charging points in Nigeria, simply because a few people have shipped in 50 - 100 units of its' electric cars.

Those who choose to charge their electric cars at home, are very unlikely to have access to supercharging facilities, and would have to make do with a Level 1 or Level 2 plugs for charging. In models like the Ford Fusion Energi (9 hours), you need to plug the car in overnight, in order to get just 19 miles of travel range, by the morning.

Now, would such supercharging points be run on our epileptic power supply, or would they be run using generators? If they invest in generators, (especially diesel ones) the commercial cost of sustaining such generators as well as fuelling and maintaining them, could make the retail cost of charging, rather prohibitive. Some firms have actually folded up in Nigeria, due to poor power supply.... because of the enormous cost of generating their own alternative power. Anyway, this is not an insurmountable problem. a work around might be devised, where applicable. undecided

Thirdly, do we have adequate number of trained mechanics and/or electrical technicians, with proper knowledge of how to fix these cars, in case anything goes wrong? sad The knowledge pool and tools for handling these cars needs to be in place, before adoption of electric cars can become a reality.

Finally, what happens to the dead batteries in such cars when they expire? What recycling plants exist for handling such things, so that they do not contaminate our environment, or become toxic wastes? Don't forget that quite a bit of lithium is used for these batteries, and there have been talks about whether ionizing radiation is emitted from the huge battery packs, these cars carry. Replacement costs of these batteries are also quite prohibitive, and with fluctuating exchange rates, they are likely to cost much more.

$7,500 isn't much of a subsidy for a base model $30,000 car.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by sabaka: 7:44am On Dec 08, 2017
Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by Aldebaran(m): 2:12am On Dec 10, 2017
Electric cars would still colonies Naija roads sooner than later...
Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:44pm On Dec 10, 2017
tealaw:
Oyinbo ppl go come try dump their gasoline vehicles in Africa very soon. As dumb as we r in Africa we go embrace am.
make them dump am quick o,make i buy two car
Re: 5 Reasons Why Electric Cars Won’t Sell Well In Nigeria by LaudateII: 9:49pm On Dec 10, 2017
Neoteny:
$7,500 isn't much of a subsidy for a base model $30,000 car.
Re-ea-ally? So if someone dashes you that $7,500 you would not be happy? That is almost 25% of the cost of the car, o! undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fatal Accident On Lagos-ore Road Leaves Many Dead (graphic Pics) / Tanker Spilling Fuel At Ibadan (photos) / Lagos Begins Compulsory Computerized Vehicle Inspection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.