Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,503 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) (47720 Views)

Canadian Who Wants Both A Vagina & Penis Wins Funding For Surgery (Photos) / FG Shuts Down Med Contour Plastic Surgery Facility After Botched Surgery (photos / OHAI Changed The Life Of A 72-Year-Old Woman Through Surgery (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by NiRfreak(m): 9:57pm On Nov 23, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

Stop commenting on what you don't know about. You are just exposing yourself in full glory of your ignorance. Anaesthetic awareness is a thing, and if the patient does not complain or react to pain, there is a chance of it being missed.
Those 'olodo' doctors in all likelihood scored better than you at all exams since primary school certificate. They were most likely better than you academically in primary school, secondary school and university.
She reacted to pain. Thats if you read her account. Don't tell me I don't know what I'm saying.
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 9:58pm On Nov 23, 2017
NiRfreak:
Look at who is talking. 7+x years is enough time to be good in what you are doing. Well, I know my onions.... and I know what I'm saying. Pre-operative procedures must be strictly adhered to to have a really successful surgery. Pls stop justifying quackery.
is that so, then why isnt medicine a four year course then, you think the human body, mind and soul is a plate of beans. Oga no provoke me o
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Arijude(m): 10:00pm On Nov 23, 2017
If any doctor try this with me I will get the whole hospital burnt down after I might have regained my self.
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:01pm On Nov 23, 2017
funmisticqueen:
Are you through with trying to sound intelligent. I am humble enough to say i know nothing. I cant just come and spew trash about something i know nothing about, that is where the whole lot of you get it wrong. My patients dont need to be pitied, cos they are doing fine
You are far from humble my dear,your utterances gave you away. Yes there are good doctors,but the majority of them are terrible,no one is talking about their skills or training,we are talking about the lackadaisical attitudes, the nurses are the worst,in fact the medical profession just like every other profession is in dire straits, but madam your profession deserves more,when you feel angry or dissatisfied and don't give a 101% some1 dies,yes a human being with loved ones

4 Likes

Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:02pm On Nov 23, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

Stop commenting on what you don't know about. You are just exposing yourself in full glory of your ignorance. Anaesthetic awareness is a thing, and if the patient does not complain or react to pain, there is a chance of it being missed.
Those 'olodo' doctors in all likelihood scored better than you at all exams since primary school certificate. They were most likely better than you academically in primary school, secondary school and university.
thank you jare

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:08pm On Nov 23, 2017
fabiano09:

You are far from humble my dear,your utterances gave you away. Yes there are good doctors,but the majority of them are terrible,no one is talking about their skills or training,we are talking about the lackadaisical attitudes, the nurses are the worst,in fact the medical profession just like every other profession is in dire straits, but madam your profession deserves more,when you feel angry or dissatisfied and don't give a 101% some1 dies,yes a human being with loved ones
you think we dont know that. Put yourself in our shoes and you would sing a different tune after 3 hours.
Would you be nice to everone if you saw a minimum of 120 people between 8 and 4pm and that is just one of your responsiblities for the day.
Besides it is not only doctors that are lackadasical, secetaries, bankers, lawyers, especially those in government are lackadasical to their work. Didnt yoy ponder why people just opted to do yahoo yahoo or ritual killing instead
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:09pm On Nov 23, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

hope you're aware there's malpractice liability for an anesthesia error? ,only that naija is a lawless country,it'll be a wasted effort
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by NiRfreak(m): 10:12pm On Nov 23, 2017
funmisticqueen:
is that so, then why isnt medicine a four year course then, you think the human body, mind and soul is a plate of beans. Oga no provoke me o
I'm not provoking... I'm saying the obvious. Believe me, I know what I'm saying...
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:12pm On Nov 23, 2017
fabiano09:

your opinion, but please do not mistake my wariness to the nigerian patient(a potential troublemaker, and scammer) and blatant hatred towards the nigerian's mentality to us doctors as arrogance, the distance between them is as far as the east is from the west
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:15pm On Nov 23, 2017
funmisticqueen:
you think we dont know that. Put yourself in our shoes and you would sing a different tune after 3 hours.
Would you be nice to everone if you saw a minimum of 120 people between 8 and 4pm and that is just one of your responsiblities for the day.
Besides it is not only doctors that are lackadasical, secetaries, bankers, lawyers, especially those in government are lackadasical to their work. Didnt yoy ponder why people just opted to do yahoo yahoo or ritual killing instead
medicine isn't the toughest profession,naija is broken for sure,nothing works,yes doctors go thru hell just like every other sector in naija,but my question to you is this,at what point does a typical doctor in naija stop caring?,like death doesn't affect you anymore? what about the nurses? do they have same excuses have? why are they worse than doctors?
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:16pm On Nov 23, 2017
Arijude:
If any doctor try this with me I will get the whole hospital burnt down after I might have regained my self.
so if i ckme to your place of work and somebody treats me rudely or commits some other blunder i can burn it down right? Let me get my matches
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:17pm On Nov 23, 2017
fabiano09:

medicine isn't the toughest profession,naija is broken for sure,nothing works,yes doctors go thru hell just like every other sector in naija,but my question to you is this,at what point does a typical doctor in naija stop caring?,like death doesn't affect you anymore? what about the nurses? do they have same excuses have? why are they worse than doctors?
depends on the doctor in question.
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:19pm On Nov 23, 2017
fabiano09:

medicine is not the toughest, please tell me what is, and dont tell me programming, cos i dont think any profession is riskier than health sciences
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:24pm On Nov 23, 2017
funmisticqueen:
medicine is not the toughest, please tell me what is, and dont tell me programming, cos i dont think any profession is riskier than health sciences
well maybe 'tough' isn't the right word,I get what you mean though,am just saying in school medicine isn't the toughest, post schooling it's surely the toughest because your job has a consequence on someone's life,coupled with the naija factor too

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by billbonesmd(m): 10:24pm On Nov 23, 2017
Stfu if u ain't got nothing else to say.
You could manage yaself if need be. No one needs sorry asses like youse anyway.
anidan:
These re really incompetent doctors. All they know is to go on strike and fight government for their salaries and allowances.
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:26pm On Nov 23, 2017
AuroraB:
Did you feel the pains of being cut?

Oh yes I did..I was just thinking of death like the pain was crazy.i tried to even open my eyes or move my arms at least..i could hear them but it was impossible. Sadly this stuff has happened to so many ppl.. a friend of mine was operated upon and he was also awake but unable to move. This operation was in a private hospital o.. paid almost 300k for it and yet I had to go through so much pain... im glad I pulled through
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:26pm On Nov 23, 2017
funmisticqueen:
depends on the doctor in question.
My advice to you is this,you have to think of y you became a doctor in the first player,you have to see above the rot,try your best,and if you still can't face crazy nigerian patients who u say are mostly scammers,plz resign and do something else because our actions have consequences

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by otswag(m): 10:28pm On Nov 23, 2017
NiRfreak:
This is sheer incompetence and ineptitude. Olodo doctors. The psychological trauma it caused you should tell u they erred in their anaesthetic protocol and mgt
oga, just try to dey research small before diving into conclusions.Although, Anaesthesia awareness can be caused by inadequate anaesthesia,its not the oñly cause. Some very few people just have a body system thats immune to the anaesthetic medications. The surgeons usually don't realise this because of the administration of another drug called a muscle relaxant which kind of paralyses the body. It is a possible complication that isn't unique to Nigeria. It happens even in western nations. Even the USA made a movie about it some years ago called "Awake'.

2 Likes

Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by IYIMAN: 10:28pm On Nov 23, 2017
Ruhamah23:
I don't believe this girl's story joo
You said u were awake for 3 good hours
Kilode!!!
Í sure know since your surgery ended to be an exploratory laparotomy, you will be intubated...
Infact, the fact that you were given muscle relaxants already shows that you are intubated
Besides muscle relaxants wear off within minutes and which needs to be top up as the case may be.
Finally, the fact that you are feeling pain will bring about some changes in your physiology which we reflect on the monitor... Also, there is high tendency of tearing if you were actually feeling pain

So wat are you saying

I'm also wondering... The blood pressure and pulse will be high, tearing etc. An average muscle relaxant lasts 20-40 minutes. Maybe there was poor monitoring. Analgesics are supposed to be repeated or combined. Anaesthesia+analgesia+relaxant. Relaxant will call for intubation and controlled ventilation. The story may not be complete until we hear from the anaesthetist.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:31pm On Nov 23, 2017
fabiano09:

hope you're aware there's malpractice liability for an anesthesia error? ,only that naija is a lawless country,it'll be a wasted effort
please just one question,is there malpractice laibility if a paracetamol tablet did not cure your headache? I am just curious, if Mr A went for surgery and the anaesthesia did not work and he started moving and shouting and screaming,
1. If they dont hold him down his movements will make him bleed to death
2. The surgeon may be startled and knife will pierce where it isnt supposed to cut.
3. If Mr is HIV positive and the surgeon mistakenly cuts himslef due to no 2 above, it means he would have to take prophylaxis drugs for a whole month and the side effects of those drug which happen most of the time,includes, vommitting, diarrhoea, skin rash and hallucinations at least that was my experience(i thought i was runnung mad). There is no thanks from the patient.
Always put yourself in the other persons shoes

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 10:34pm On Nov 23, 2017
fabiano09:

In a public hospital for instance where a doctor has to use iv anesthesia like ketamine just to save lives (as opposed to inhalational anaesthetics) you would sue the doctor ? Is he or she supposed to buy equipment as well as provide his skill ?
Even in private clinics, how many patients can afford standard care with the minimum wage at N18,000 ? That represents four and a half packs of Augmentin !!
The Nigerian government is incompetent, the Nigerian people are dirt poor, Nigerian doctors are heroes and heroines. FACT.

2 Likes

Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:35pm On Nov 23, 2017
fabiano09:

My advice to you is this,you have to think of y you became a doctor in the first player,you have to see above the rot,try your best,and if you still can't face crazy nigerian patients who u say are mostly scammers,plz resign and do something else because our actions have consequences
i wont resign cos despite everything, i still love what i do cos there are still some good people, left, and i take it a day at a time. But i know i deserve better, hence i am writing exams and taking the first flight outta here
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:38pm On Nov 23, 2017
fabiano09:

by the way be honest, this advice you are giving me do you follow it yourself.
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:41pm On Nov 23, 2017
funmisticqueen:
please just one question,is there malpractice laibility if a paracetamol tablet did not cure your headache? I am just curious, if Mr A went for surgery and the anaesthesia did not work and he started moving and shouting and screaming,
1. If they dont hold him down his movements will make him bleed to death
2. The surgeon may be startled and knife will pierce where it isnt supposed to cut.
3. If Mr is HIV positive and the surgeon mistakenly cuts himslef due to no 2 above, it means he would have to take prophylaxis drugs for a whole month and the side effects of those drug which happen most of the time,includes, vommitting, diarrhoea, skin rash and hallucinations at least that was my experience(i thought i was runnung mad). There is no thanks from the patient.
Always put yourself in the other persons shoes
lol did u seriously type these? common sense isn't applicable in law,u can't sue for all those occasions because you signed up for them,but a patient never signed up to be operated on without anaesthesia, a patient doesn't expect to have a tool forgotten in his abdomen etc

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:45pm On Nov 23, 2017
funmisticqueen:
by the way be honest, this advice you are giving me do you follow it yourself.
ofcourse I don't, but we agree on something,your job is too important to let emotions cloud your better judgement,your reward isn't even in heaven like they tell the teachers,your reward stares you in your face with a smile,that patient you saved,the family members,their joy is your reward

2 Likes

Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:46pm On Nov 23, 2017
fabiano09:

lol did u seriously type these? common sense isn't applicable in law,u can't sue for all those occasions because you signed up for them,but a patient never signed up to be operated on without anaesthesia, a patient doesn't expect to have a tool forgotten in his abdomen etc
that is another topic entirely, so pls just answer the question, i have seen a surgery, where the patient could only afford the surgery but not the anaesthesia but it was an urgent surgery, and the patient signed a consent to do the surgery like that.

I dont need to tell you the pains the patient went through and the doctors kept pushing iv paracetamol in his system, so please should the doctor be sued for that
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:48pm On Nov 23, 2017
fabiano09:

ofcourse I don't, but we agree on something,your job is too important to let emotions cloud your better judgement,your reward isn't even in heaven like they tell the teachers,your reward stares you in your face with a smile,that patient you saved,the family members,their joy is your reward
you havent still answered my question o, let me just watch you playing politics with words
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:48pm On Nov 23, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

In a public hospital for instance where a doctor has to use iv anesthesia like ketamine just to save lives (as opposed to inhalational anaesthetics) you would sue the doctor ? Is he or she supposed to buy equipment as well as provide his skill ?
Even in private clinics, how many patients can afford standard care with the minimum wage at N18,000 ? That represents four and a half packs of Augmentin !!
The Nigerian government is incompetent, the Nigerian people are dirt poor, Nigerian doctors are heroes and heroines. FACT.
To be honest I feel you bro,I know what you guys go thru,my brother is a doctor,am not saying I ain't aware of what goes on in hospitals,what am saying is you signed up for it and should never relent because of poor renumerations or dissatisfaction
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by efighter: 10:52pm On Nov 23, 2017
Joephat:
Please

This land is for Sale, The topic is rubbish and I am tired of insulting Afonjas..

If you want to buy... Quote me or like me.

You will just slump and die over Afonjas that don't know you exist.
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 10:55pm On Nov 23, 2017
fabiano09:

To be honest I feel you bro,I know what you guys go thru,my brother is a doctor,am not saying I ain't aware of what goes on in hospitals,what am saying is you signed up for it and should never relent because of poor renumerations or dissatisfaction

Nope.
Nobody signed up for low pay, long hours, angry patients and needless deaths.
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:56pm On Nov 23, 2017
fabiano09:

Then show some empathy, by the way i am 70% sure that your brother would leave this zoo the first chance he gets
Re: Medical Doctor Wakes Up During Her Surgery (Photos) by Nobody: 10:56pm On Nov 23, 2017
funmisticqueen:
you havent still answered my question o, let me just watch you playing politics with words
lol I guess am a hypocrite. Just do your best my dear,naija will get better,the medical profession will improve but we must all do our best to achieve this,look beyond the non existent thank you's you don't get from us,the vilification and insults,or what you went thru in school to become a doctor,be the difference,maybe we the lesser mortals will walk in your footsteps

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is Causing The Too Much Heat In Nigeria? / School Girl Loses Finger To Lizard Droppings Concoction (photo) / Slayqueen Creates A Scene While Trying To Receive An Injection (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.