Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,697 members, 7,809,635 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:20 PM

Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! (5813 Views)

Anambra PDP Senators Sacked By Supreme Court / Picture Of Nnamdi Kanu At The Court Today / Turns Out Gov. Darius Ishaku Has A Good Case At The Court Of APPEAL. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by wales(m): 3:20pm On Mar 25, 2010
Shortly before midday yesterday, while the Senate was debating the draft amended constitution, Joy Emordi, who then still represented Anambra North in the Senate, received a call.

After the call, her mood changed and she stood up, left her seat and went to the Senate president's podium. Mrs. Emordi spent close to seven minutes discussing with David Mark, the Senate President. Her story held Mr. Mark's full attention while plenary was put on hold.

Thereafter, she picked up her hand bag from her seat and left the red chamber and went into the coffee room.

It turned out that this was her last appearance in the chambers as a senator representing Anambra North senatorial zone in the sixth session of the senate.

"The Joy of the Senate" as she was fondly called by Mr. Mark, was a hard-line senator.

She always took clear-cut stance on issues and was instrumental to the dumping of two of the six constitutional amendment bills that was sent to the senate by the president.

She had strongly argued that the bills were poorly crafted and that it was arrogating too much power to the president. She was also a strong advocate for gender equality in government activities.

She headed the senate committee on education, a committee she has chaired since 2005 when she came into the senate by a ruling of the court too.

In June 2008, her election into the current session of the senate was up held by the tribunal.

In her reaction to the recent judgement, Mrs Emordi said that she respects the judgement of the Court of Appeal and still believes in the judiciary.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5546236-146/joy_of_the_senate_loses_seat.csp

A unanimous ruling of the Court of Appeal has abruptly ended the tenure of Senator Joy Emordi at the Nigerian senate. In her place, the court declared the ANPP candidate, Uba Igbeke, (A shadowy character known as "Ubanese) as the rightful winner of the Anambra North Senatorial district elections on 2007. The judgement was delivered by Justice Olukayode Ariwoola while Justices Muhammad Ladan Tsamiya and Amiru Sanusi concurred.

Link:

http://www.saharareporters.com/real-news/sr-headlines/5625-senator-joy-emordi-sacked-by-the-court-of-appeal.html
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by Fhemmmy: 3:25pm On Mar 25, 2010
wales:

A unanimous ruling of the Court of Appeal has abruptly ended the tenure of Senator Joy Emordi at the Nigerian senate. In her place, the court declared the ANPP candidate, Uba Igbeke, (A shadowy character known as "Ubanese) as the rightful winner of the Anambra North Senatorial district elections on 2007. The judgement was delivered by Justice Olukayode Ariwoola while Justices Muhammad Ladan Tsamiya and Amiru Sanusi concurred.

Link:

http://www.saharareporters.com/real-news/sr-headlines/5625-senator-joy-emordi-sacked-by-the-court-of-appeal.html

Let us wait and see how this will unfold.
But at least she has made some money in the last 3 years . . . . . Only in Nigeria
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by hardywaltz(m): 3:43pm On Mar 25, 2010
Oh no why now!!! I kinda like that woman. pheew.
@OP, could you please throw more light on the shadowy aspect of the new guy. Thankz
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by Fhemmmy: 3:44pm On Mar 25, 2010
hardywaltz:

Oh no why now!!! I kinda like that woman. pheew.
@OP, could you please throw more light on the shadowy aspect of the new guy. Thankz

I guess more people likes the other guy
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by Emperoh(m): 3:46pm On Mar 25, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Let us wait and see how this will unfold.
But at least she has made some money in the last 3 years . . . . . Only in Nigeria

Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is one judgment that i don't know how to take!!

This woman is far better than the person going to replace her!!

I rather this Lady than Ubanese!!!
Gosh!!!!

Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by Fhemmmy: 3:48pm On Mar 25, 2010
Emperoh:

Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is one judgment that i don't know how to take!!

This woman is far better than the person going to replace her!!

I rather this Lady than Ubanese!!!
Gosh!!!!

If that is the case, then, let the youth carry placard and protest . . . or better still, let there will appeal of the ruling
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by meexteriox(m): 3:50pm On Mar 25, 2010
Justice could only be delayed and never, ever denied.
Ubanese would certainly be there for the next four years.
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by mrperfect(m): 4:12pm On Mar 25, 2010
This woman is well informed on the way she faces issue on the Senate.
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by wales(m): 4:17pm On Mar 25, 2010
mrperfect:

This woman is well informed on the way she faces issue on the Senate.

Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by desgiezd(m): 4:24pm On Mar 25, 2010
meexteriox:

Justice could only be delayed and never, ever denied.
Ubanese would certainly be there for the next four years.

No sir, Ubanese would only be there for fourteen months, that is, for the remaining part of the live of the present National Assembly

Fhemmmy:

If that is the case, then, let the youth carry placard and protest . . . or better still, let there will appeal of the ruling

Quite unfortunately, the case can not go beyond the Appeal Court. That is the final arbiter.
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by plumbcare: 4:40pm On Mar 25, 2010
Ubanese! Did he go to school?
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by Emperoh(m): 5:08pm On Mar 25, 2010
plumbcare:

Ubanese! Did he go to school?

My thoughts exactly!!!
Its not about Paying Morocco Maduka to praise sing him!!!
our technocrats really need to rise up!!
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by Fhemmmy: 5:20pm On Mar 25, 2010
Emperoh:

My thoughts exactly!!!
Its not about Paying Morocco Maduka to praise sing him!!!
our technocrats really need to rise up!!

he must have gone to school to understand how to play Nigerian politics, this is what makes me sick, when good ones are not given the chance and the bad ones are allowed to rule the good ones. . . . .What a shame
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by Eziachi: 5:26pm On Mar 25, 2010
Nigeria is just a joke of a nation. What is the meaning of this judgement? How can the so called judiciary waited for 3+ years to realise who actually won a senatorial election? This is a joke. And the proclaimed winner has few months to be the senate before another rigging galore starts, unlike the governors, he can't exercise a four years mandate.
Will the Emordi woman repay all her salaries and pecks for the last three years?
In advance nations, when you are paid the money you are not entitled on social security or salaries, you are bound to pay it back to its sources.  
And Ubanese himself, if he was allowed  his so called victory earlier, probably he will be now in PDP and not the same ANPP.
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by Fhemmmy: 5:28pm On Mar 25, 2010
Eziachi:

Nigeria is just a joke of a nation. What is the meaning of this judgement? How can the so called judiciary waited for 3+ years to realise who actually won a senatorial election? This is a joke. And the winner has few months to be their before another rigging galore starts, unlike the governors, he won't exercise a four years mandate. Will the Emordi woman repay all her salaries and pecks for the last three years?
In advance nation, when you are paid the money you are not entitled on social security or salaries, you are bound to pay it back from it source.  
And Ubanese himself, if he was allowed  his so called victory, probably he will be now in PDP and not the ANPP.

I hope people will realize this and give the woman their mandate during the next election
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by chosen04(f): 5:37pm On Mar 25, 2010
wales:

Anambra North Senatorial elections is becoming notorious for producing the REPLACED Senators:-

2003 Election produce Senator Emma Anosike-PDP(Soludo's governorship running mate), who served to 2005 before the appeal court replaced him with Senator Joy Emordi-PDP.

2007 Election produce returned Senator Emordi who is now being replaced with Uba Igbeke-- ANPP
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by marvix(m): 5:50pm On Mar 25, 2010
Well I think it is bad to lose her in d senate, but that is what free nd fair elections can give. A popular criminal and a wealthy technical idiot would beat a seasoned professional who is only popular to those of us who use the internet and man with integrity without d financial muscle in Nigeria. Consider this scenario Mr Aganga in Lagos vs Bode George in a free contest who would win?
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by dedeike: 5:58pm On Mar 25, 2010
This is one case where jugdement will work great hardship to the people.ubanese wouldn't have won.how? Who voted for ubanese? What's the strenght of anpp in anambra? Even in the last febuary polls,where was ANPP? The truth is that there was no election in Anambra in 2007.Andy Uba merely allocated figures to people. So how come the ANPP victory? The verdict should have been a bye election. And Emodi will floor Ubanese any anytime.
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by chosen04(f): 6:04pm On Mar 25, 2010
marvix:

Well I think it is bad to lose her in d senate, but that is what free nd fair elections can give. A popular criminal and a wealthy technical idiot would beat a seasoned professional who is only popular to those of us who use the internet and man with integrity without d financial muscle in Nigeria. Consider this scenario Mr Aganga in Lagos vs Bode George in a free contest who would win?

Do you think before you type?
So, a free and fair election can produce a popular criminal who is a wealthy technical idiot over a seasones professional with integrity but lacks financial muscle?

You seriously need to go and see a doctor IWU
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by chosen04(f): 6:11pm On Mar 25, 2010
dedeike:

This is one case where jugdement will work great hardship to the people.ubanese wouldn't have won.how? Who voted for ubanese? What's the strenght of anpp in anambra? Even in the last febuary polls,where was ANPP? The truth is that there was no election in Anambra in 2007.Andy Uba merely allocated figures to people. So how come the ANPP victory? The verdict should have been a bye election. And Emodi will floor Ubanese any anytime.

So u mean the judges were blind at both the election tribunal and the court of appeal?

The truth is that the PDP who Joy Emordi belongs to disappointed the people and they vowed to show them the way out. Ubanese, thus become the most popular among the pack and got the people's vote.
So stop spewing trash and exposing your ignorance
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by dedeike: 6:37pm On Mar 25, 2010
How did the court arrive at ubanese victory? with the results generated by Uba and INEC. You cannot build something on nothing. You cannot by legal gymnastics award victory in a contest that was not there after all.the best that could be ordered would have been a re run.
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by chosen04(f): 6:56pm On Mar 25, 2010
dedeike:

How did the court arrive at ubanese victory? with the results generated by Uba and INEC. You cannot build something on nothing. You cannot by legal gymnastics award victory in a contest that was not there after all.the best that could be ordered would have been a re run.

I strongly believe that the court must have seen enough reasons to allow Ubanese outright victory, esp. since he won at both tribunal and appeal court.

I agree that election in Anambra state in 2007 was a charade. But if the PDP(Senator Joy) has benefitted from the charade since then, will it be bad for another party(Ubanese) to also benefit?
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by 006(m): 7:04pm On Mar 25, 2010
I hope folks return her next time if they deem her worthy.
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by DeepSoul(f): 11:37pm On Mar 25, 2010
Ubanese. What a name.
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by RICHIEBOI1(m): 12:31am On Mar 26, 2010
thats nigerian politiks for you. it stinks to high heaven, i wonder what this so called 'ubanese' would be doing in the next one year.
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by Tcharged: 1:43am On Mar 26, 2010
Ubanese will do what they all do - LOOTING
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by chosen04(f): 11:57am On Mar 26, 2010
Deep Soul:

Ubanese. What a name.

His names are Alph. Uba Igbeke AKA Ubanese
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by Seun(m): 3:23pm On Mar 26, 2010
I can't promote a thread to the home page if there's no link to a regular news source. :-(
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by wales(m): 4:09pm On Mar 26, 2010
Seun:

I can't promote a thread to the home page if there's no link to a regular news source. :-(

This the link:

Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by deols(f): 12:46pm On Mar 27, 2010
I find it surprising that people here are praising someone who got in through a rigged election. Even if Ubanese does not eventually perform well as much as she did, i'd still prefer him for the sake of the rule of law.
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by Caporegime(m): 1:40pm On Mar 27, 2010
deols, i think i agree with u on that, senator joy came in through a wrong channel(PDP), but she has done a good job, lets see what if Ubanese can meet up. then the people will decide in the next election.
Re: Senator Joy Emordi Sacked By The Court Of Appeal! by CNOD: 4:30pm On Mar 27, 2010
wt can i say, another persons turn to get rich

(1) (2) (Reply)

South African Envoy Explains Hostility To Nigerians ! / National Media Tour Of Projects In FCT - Day 3 / US Unveils 16 Richest Nigerian Politicians And Names Of US Banks They Operate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.