Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,305 members, 7,811,901 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:56 PM

Tension In My House! - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Tension In My House! (3685 Views)

Carpenter Killed By Live High Tension Wire, Wife Dies Hours After (PIC) / Should I Help Her Or Chase Her Out Of My House? / Help, A Married Woman Refuses To Leave My House, How Can I Send Her Away? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tension In My House! by coolier(f): 12:23pm On Mar 27, 2010
spoilt:

I dont see why people cant understand the simple[b] social courtesies[/b] involved here.

Be it in the office setting, home front or board room, it is understood that you dont speak languages that other people around dont understand. Usually its an unspoken rule. Some companies go as far as having it in their employee hand book. It is for a reason, believe it or not. Put yourself in the shoes of the person who doesnt understand the language. You could be in the company of these people for 24 hours or the greater part of your day and not understand a single word that is said. If that is not akward I dont know what is! Its not simply because you think they are talking about you. They could be joking and laughing their heads off and you would just sit there playing with your nails completely lost not even able to enjoy the jokes. I dont see why anyone would have a problem riverting to a mutual language. It really should be instinctive. When you see the other person looking lost why would you not want to include them in the conversations? I guess you cant force your ethiquette on people.  undecided

What would end up happening is that when they start speaking their language after some time she'll probably end you going to the other room to watch some Tv that she actually understands.  grin grin. Next thing you hear is the patronising comments like " Ah, ah our wife dont you like sitting with us"?. "Why are you always running"?  She cant win in this situation. Ive been there before.

What has 'social courtesies' got to do with the way one runs his household, or whatever happens in one's home? Is his home a public house? or a government secretariat? And understood by whom exactly? In offices and your so called board rooms of course they would speak English because that is Nigeria's lingua franca. But in his home Igbo Language is their official language, because that is where they come from and who they are! His wife voluntarily married him, left her family and became part of his family, and that is why she signed off her family name to the husbands family name, making her Ibo by marriage. She should be proud to learn and speak the language if she loves her husband. She has no excuses whatsoever.

And she doesn't need to run to the other room to watch TV when they're speaking their language, she should just run back to her father's house where they speak English. angry
Re: Tension In My House! by Nobody: 1:47pm On Mar 27, 2010
coolier:

What has 'social courtesies' got to do with the way one runs his household, or whatever happens in one's home? Is his home a public house? or a government secretariat? And understood by whom exactly? In offices and your so called board rooms of course they would speak English because that is Nigeria's lingua franca. But in his home Igbo Language is their official language, because that is where they come from and who they are! His wife voluntarily married him, left her family and became part of his family, and that is why she signed off her family name to the husbands family name, making her Ibo by marriage. She should be proud to learn and speak the language if she loves her husband. She has no excuses whatsoever.

And she doesn't need to run to the other room to watch TV when they're speaking their language, she should just run back to her father's house where they speak English. angry

Some people have allowed the westernized world cover their sense of reasoning/judgement, i was about asking the same question, whats the relationship btw a board room and a mans home abeg? undecided we are talking about a mans private life here,his family and someone is toking about board room, who is understanding what?  what has companies and employees hand book got to do with the the poster that needs help in HIS HOUSE

As long as i remain a nigerian, i dont care if ive become a citizen of some country, but as long as i remain originally from nigeria, English is not my first language, any body that wants to tok about board room should go tell that to the oyibos

This mans wife is just being wicked, sorry poster but thats the truth, you need to sit her down and be firm with her, she just cant bring problems into your house , no way angry
Re: Tension In My House! by Outstrip(f): 11:59pm On Mar 27, 2010
Obviously mother and daughter in law have been more than mother and daughter in law for about two years. Why is it that all of a sudden the wife feels differently. The logical reason to anybody should be something has changed. Period. Unless the poster is not saying everything. Has your mom always talked in Igbo or is it a new thing. I can also bet that the igbo is more than just "what are you eating tonight?". I will not tell you to ask your mother to speak another language but you need to answer in English if it is an issue for your wife. Your mom gets to speak her igbo and you have peace of mind. The other thing I think you should do is find out what has changed. Something obviously has. You and your mom either just started this trend of speaking igbo instead of english or something else has happened.
Re: Tension In My House! by Nobody: 12:34am On Mar 28, 2010
illusion2:

Ok. I'm just trying to understand why you don't speak your OWN language with your siblings then ? undecided
We were raised far north, We speak our language but Hausa is more comfy for all of us
Re: Tension In My House! by illusion2: 7:02am On Mar 28, 2010
aisha2:

We were raised far north, We speak our language but Hausa is more comfy for all of us
Ok wink. . . .
Re: Tension In My House! by lannre(m): 3:05pm On Mar 28, 2010
Women and their phenomenon, My Dear talk to your woman, let her know that know harm is meant, when you people are courting even if your mum speaks latin she was not complaining then. Now she "is in charge" your home should be homely enough for her that is just the secret. Talk to her like a Darling will to a wife. I believe she will understand,since Mama will soon leave. Wish U all the best.
Re: Tension In My House! by spoilt(f): 3:05pm On Mar 28, 2010
jennykadry:

Some people have allowed the westernized world cover their sense of reasoning/judgement[/b], i was about asking the same question, whats the relationship btw a board room and a mans home abeg? undecided we are talking about a mans private life here,his family and someone is toking about board room, [b]who is [b]understanding what?  what has companies and employees hand book got to do with the the poster that needs help in HIS HOUSE[/b]

As long as i remain a nigerian, i dont care if ive become a citizen of some country, but as long as i remain originally from nigeria, English is not my first language, any body that wants to tok about board room should go tell that to the oyibos

This mans wife is just being wicked, sorry poster but thats the truth, you need to sit her down and be firm with her, she just cant bring problems into your house , no way angry

Geez! Its not a ranting matter.
And yeah, I mentioned board room, social settings, home front, work place and family. I sure did to emphasize that no matter where you are someone is bound to feel left out when they dont understand what is going on around them. Is it so far fetched?  
If the point eluded you, sorry you couldnt make the connection! Regardless of where you are, you should try not speak languages others dont understand. It may be instinctive to you but at least try to interprete or throw in some English or something. you know why? Because someone will come on nairaland and ask for advice for the tension this matter is causing in his house. grin grin  If it wasnt causing him family problems and stress  he wouldnt be here. Simple.

Apparently from the train of thoughts here and from opinions of some who insist on speaking what they want when they want (sure its your right)  in a few years there will be many more threads of 'TENSION IN MY HOUSE' started by many more men.
we could have been spared this trivial matter if a mutual language had been spoken.

Like I said before I have been there. I have sat through people jabbering away in an unknown language and just stared both in the home front and work front.Its not fun.  Im not talking of them doing it sometimes, Im talking of all the time. It is instinctive for them. Very uncomfortable for me. I knew they were not talking about me or plotting to kill me or anything. But after hours of their instinct I would rather be some place else doing more productive stuff.   undecided  

Funny enough, my mum was around years ago to help with my new baby. She would often speak Igbo to me in the house.  I told her my friends who were always around (They were Yoruba) did dont understand what she was saying . She would laugh, apologize and switch back to English. Same with my husband. She tries not to speak Igbo to me when he's around and I appreciate. It was never a big deal. This issue is one of compromise. If you want to stoke the fires of the tension, then dont compromise.
Re: Tension In My House! by Nobody: 3:07pm On Mar 28, 2010
lannre:

Women and their phenomenon, My Dear talk to your woman, let her know that know harm is meant, when you people are courting even if your mum speaks latin she was not complaining then. Now she "is in charge" your home should be homely enough for her that is just the secret. Talk to her like a Darling will to a wife. I believe she will understand,since Mama will soon leave. Wish U all the best.

Exactly, im sure this is a woman that would have been licking her mother inlaws feet when she was still courting this guy, even after marriage sef, now that she has a child, she now feels her feets in the house r quite solid now
Re: Tension In My House! by spoilt(f): 3:14pm On Mar 28, 2010
In fairness the OP did not say his wife and mother inlaw dont get along. He said his mother likes his wife! So when she wants to be able to understand whats going on around her I dont think its out of spite or insecurities. She probably wants to belong.
Re: Tension In My House! by Nobody: 3:17pm On Mar 28, 2010
@Spoilt

you are not getting it are you?jabbering away is different from what the poster is toking about, if this woman isn't ready to understand few sentences then she should go learn, i am with an igbo man, who speaks yoruba like crazy, i learnt yoruba from him, i dont speak fluently but i can understand very well, his good friends r yorubas and whenever they r together, they just chat away, and then i said to myself, i think im going to learn this lang

If she isn't finding it funny, she should ask hernhusband there and then "what is mama saying?" thats how she will learn,but trying to severe the relationship she has with the woman and bringing tension in the relationship the son has with the mother is not right

When i read the first few lines i was mad at the mum, but then the poster specifically said the mum asks harmless qstions like wat wat will you eat n co, his wife is not interested in learning her hubbys language, if she knew she was going to nag like some lunatic, why on earth did she agree to marry him, she cant take it away from him, if she continues like this that marriage is heading  for the rocks

You talked about your mum chatting away in igbo, you still dont get it, i would be against the poster if the mum could speak english but would rather converse with him all the time both long and short convo in igbo

Seriously alot of women r not in good terms with their mother inlaw, this one's got someone whos there for her, treats her like a daughter, why on earth does she want to destroy her home

I ask again, has she been pretending all these while? cos even when they were courting or just got married, she would have heard mum and son speaking once in a while in IGBo why didnt she complain then, why is she complaining now that she is in the house with a child

common
Re: Tension In My House! by Nobody: 3:18pm On Mar 28, 2010
spoilt:

In fairness the OP did not say his wife and mother inlaw dont get along. He said his mother likes his wife! So when she wants to be able to understand whats going on around her I dont think its out of spite or insecurities. She probably wants to belong.

Oh she wants to belong and thinks the best way to belong is by distancing herself away from her mother inlaw, trying to build a big bridge infront of them, is that really how to belong?
Re: Tension In My House! by spoilt(f): 3:23pm On Mar 28, 2010
When my mum spoke Igbo, I did not wait for my husband to ask her not to so he could understand what was being said. I told her not to myself without him even knowing it!

I know he is trying to learn. I interprete some words to him every now and then. Its not easy trying to learn a new language you know. grin

I doubt that only a few sentences will have him starting a thread on Nairaland. I doubt it. If its really instinctive then its normal for a few intended sentences to evolve into a full blow conversation.
Re: Tension In My House! by spoilt(f): 3:25pm On Mar 28, 2010
We still dont know that the mother of the Op does not speak English. Has he clarified? i may have missed it. But like MRbrownJAY pointed out. Most people speak english even if its in a broken form. grin
Re: Tension In My House! by Nobody: 3:31pm On Mar 28, 2010
You doubt, but the poster is telling us whats happening, im not going to add words or put words into the posters mouth

When they were dating, she did not complain, when she got married, she did not complain, prolly cos she never get pikin, now that shes got a child she  wants to nag, i never for one day told my husband, "oh pls stop speaking yoruba with your friends when im there" if we are toking about compromise here, this is where it fits in, if i tell him to stop speaking yoruba, he def would, but at the same time the relationship and conversation will never be the same again, there will be a gap in the relationship, this pple r his childhood friends, this pple have been speaking this lang right from their sec school days, not to talk of the OP and the mother.

My question is : why is she complaining now? if she doesnt like it , let her talk to her hubby like shes done, but not get the poor woman involved in this, keeping or staying away from this woman, will make her un comfy, shes gonna ask herself what shes done wrong? it will hasten her leaving the house, the house will be like a living nightmare to her, this is a woman that shes got a good rapport with,and all of a sudden this woman avoids her like shes got AIDS, shes happy to come baby sit and cook for u and your hubby, why not just shut up
Re: Tension In My House! by Nobody: 3:32pm On Mar 28, 2010
And im not saying the mum cant speak english
Re: Tension In My House! by spoilt(f): 3:38pm On Mar 28, 2010
jennykadry:

You doubt, but the poster is telling us whats happening, im not going to add words or put words into the posters mouth

When they were dating, she did not complain, when she got married, she did not complain, prolly cos she never get pikin, now that shes got a child she wants to nag, i never for one day told my husband, "oh pls stop speaking yoruba with your friends when im there" if we are toking about compromise here, this is where it fits in, if i tell him to stop speaking yoruba, he def would, but at the same time the relationship and conversation will never be the same again, there will be a gap in the relationship, this pple r his childhood friends, this pple have been speaking this lang right from their sec school days, not to talk of the OP and the mother.

My question is : why is she complaining now? if she doesnt like it , let her talk to her hubby like shes done, but not get the poor woman involved in this, keeping or staying away from this woman, will make her un comfy, shes gonna ask herself what shes done wrong? it will hasten her leaving the house, the house will be like a living nightmare to her, this is a woman that shes got a good rapport with,and all of a sudden this woman avoids her like shes got AIDS, shes happy to come baby sit and cook for u and your hubby, why not just shut up

Err, . . . . .Where did the OP say that?
Re: Tension In My House! by Hotstepper(f): 3:42pm On Mar 28, 2010
This is for people esp. women who wants to marry outside their ethnicity, Now, there is nothing wrong with that and I support it 100 percent but bear in mind to have the willingness to learn or you stop complaining. There is no way in this world and the girl have to right to request that her hubby and mother should not speak their language just for the very reason she is around them. People getting married should be aware of all these cultural differences and look beyond "he's fine, tall, rich etc and whats now" and see the real thing.
Re: Tension In My House! by Nobody: 3:42pm On Mar 28, 2010
she is begining to distance herself from my mom and thereby indirectly and obliviously severing the relationship between herself and my mom.
Re: Tension In My House! by spoilt(f): 3:47pm On Mar 28, 2010
I wish the OP all the best.
Hopefully they can resolve their differences and reach a compromise without hurting feelings of any of the parties involved. I've made my humble contributions to this thread. Nice rubbing minds with y'all.
Re: Tension In My House! by illusion2: 6:24pm On Mar 28, 2010
spoilt:

When my mum spoke Igbo, I did not wait for my husband to ask her not to so he could understand what was being said. I told her not to myself without him even knowing it!
I know he is trying to learn. I interprete some words to him every now and then. Its not easy trying to learn a new language you know. grin
I doubt that only a few sentences will have him starting a thread on Nairaland. I doubt it. If its really instinctive then its normal for a few intended sentences to evolve into a full blow conversation.
@spoilt. . you're obliged to do what you did cos ur hubby's the head of the family. . .so makes sense.

Tho' I doubt he'll make an issue out of it like the wife in question.

MWL isn't ur hubby Igbo ? undecided
Re: Tension In My House! by 006(m): 10:04pm On Mar 28, 2010
And honestly the Ibo she speaks is more like asking harmless questions like wat do i want to eat? wen will i eat? she is begining to distance herself from my mom and thereby indirectly and obliviously severing the relationship between herself and my mom. i warned her to be very careful becos if anything happens i will end up being in the middle of the whole scenerio.

@ poster, it's a pity but it's obvious to me that your wife does not like your language and probably does not like your mother. You're in a real problem I will say. Being married to her for a while now, she can't even understand the simplest of Igbo.
If you are crazy, send your mum home like you suggested, but if you are sane, which I assume you are, tell your wife to deal with it.
Does your wife even go to your village? If she does, do they speak English to her?
She should have known this before marrying someone from another ethnic group.

It’s when wives have kids, especially male kids, that they start displaying their true characters. This is the first taste of it, more to follow. If you’re lily livered, give in to her and she would send all your siblings and parents running from your house.
Re: Tension In My House! by Nobody: 4:17am On Mar 29, 2010
006:

@ poster, it's a pity but it's obvious to me that your wife does not like your language and probably does not like your mother. You're in a real problem I will say. Being married to her for a while now, she can't even understand the simplest of Igbo.
If you are crazy, send your mum home like you suggested, but if you are sane, which I assume you are, tell your wife to deal with it.
Does your wife even go to your village? If she does, do they speak English to her?
She should have known this before marrying someone from another ethnic group.

It’s when wives have kids, especially male kids, that they start displaying their true characters. This is the first taste of it, more to follow. If you’re lily livered, give in to her and she would send all your siblings and parents running from your house.

Thank you i like this

My problem now is this

1. Why did she not complain when they were still courting?
2. Why did she not complain when she got married but had no child
3. If they travel down to his village, is she going to tell those old people in the village that she'd rather they speak English?

I'm not insulting his wife, but there is sthg fishy going on, i see a pretender, and i see someone that is going to destroy her husbands family, i see someone that will very soon stop the husband from sending money to his mum and taking care of his siblings if he can
Re: Tension In My House! by Shinatu: 1:19pm On Mar 29, 2010
I am in an intertribal marriage too and honestly, I cannot be bothered about what language my inlaws speak.

What puzzles me however about the responses I have read is the idea that the wife should learn the husband's language, I cannot see that happening with me in decades, well maybe at retirement sha , not now, I do not think I need that additional burden.
Re: Tension In My House! by agathamari(f): 2:07pm On Mar 29, 2010
its rude to speak a language that not everyone in the house speaks. you and your mother know what is being said, you wife doesnt. she just gave birth and is most probably a bit self conscious. honestly if something bad were said, would you tell your wife what it was or make something up that was less inflamitory? yes it is your mother and her native tounge and i know the culure here demands your wife learn your language but for the sake of proper manners and keeping the peace in your house; you, your mother and anyone else should only speak the language the everyone in the room speaks, whatever it may be.
Re: Tension In My House! by lbotus(f): 4:44pm On Mar 30, 2010
sometimes the language just flows and u can't control it.Sit your wife down and talk some senses into her before she indirectly drives all your family members away. some women brings unnecessary wahala on themselves.why would she think/feel her hubby and mum -in law are gossiping about her? undecided
Re: Tension In My House! by Fhemmmy: 6:25pm On Mar 30, 2010
Congrats on the birth of your new born baby . . . .make u name the baby, Fhemmmy ( No better name than that)

On the issue of your Mom and your wife, i think it is rude to speak a language that your wife will not understand while she is around, only you know that she was asking harmless question, as far as your wife is concerns, you Mom could be saying she has big tommy and ugly, so try to speak english while your wife is around or speak whatever she understand.
Re: Tension In My House! by Busybody2(f): 8:03pm On Apr 18, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Congrats on the birth of your new born baby . . . .make u name the baby, Fhemmmy ( No better name than that)

On the issue of your Mom and your wife, i think it is rude to speak a language that your wife will not understand while she is around, only you know that she was asking harmless question, as far as your wife is concerns, you Mom could be saying she has big tommy and ugly, so try to speak english while your wife is around or speak whatever she understand.

Looking at it from this angle, if wifey thinks you (hubby) are talking bad about her everytime you converse with your Mum in your native tongue, IS LANGUAGE BARRIER THE PROBLEM THE MARRIAGE IS FACING OR MAJOR TRUST ISSUES?

@ OP

Talk about misguided priority, the least of your worries is language barrier, wifey simply don't trust you, end of. Hence reason I earlier said i wonder what she is going to wanna moan about next undecided undecided undecided
Re: Tension In My House! by Sissy3(f): 6:09pm On Apr 19, 2010
could it be post partum that is suddenly affecting her?

now a mother is no longer allowed to commuicate with his son in her native language becos he married a foreinger bullcrap. what was she expecting when she married him? engrish 24/7, 365?
Re: Tension In My House! by harakiri(m): 4:32pm On Apr 20, 2010
Women and their never-ending wahala.They all hope to have stress-free mother in laws. . .when they are lucky to find a good one, they fuss about unnecessary things.Your mother has been speaking igbo to you all your life.You can't expect her to "switch off" her lingua franca just like that.Your wife is looking for trouble where trouble isn't looking for her.
Re: Tension In My House! by mamagee3(f): 2:40am On May 20, 2010
jennykadry:

you are a woman, you will be a mother someday, you will have kids of your own, male and female, dont say that
Why shouldn't I say that?
Re: Tension In My House! by oyinda3(f): 2:46am On May 20, 2010
I'm sure if the wife was speaking her language over the phone the mother-in-law will be disconcerted as well. it's natural
husband, what you should do is reply in english when your mama talks to u. and do try to hasten her leave. hire a househelp if it will bring peace to your home.
Re: Tension In My House! by Nobody: 2:50am On May 20, 2010
mama-gee:

Why shouldn't I say that?

I'm sure you wouldn't like it if Your son tells you To stay off his biz which includes seeing your grandkids when they are born

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Words From A Wise Man / Nigerian Man Caught Wooing 15year Old Girl In London, Says "Jesus I Am Finished" / Would You Date A Single Parent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.