Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,222 members, 7,815,278 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:06 AM

Electricity Tariff Set To Rise - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Tariff Set To Rise (3928 Views)

Poll: Which of the following statements do you agree with?

This will make the sector more profitable for private investors.: 32% (23 votes)
Food is not free, but electricity should be free.: 4% (3 votes)
This will encourage Nigerians to conserve more power.: 30% (22 votes)
This is bad; nothing good about it.: 32% (23 votes)
This poll has ended

NERC Set To Release New Electricity Tariff / Again, Court Stops Hike In Electricity Tariff / What Is The Fastest Way To Rise In Rank In The Nigerian Army? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Rise by Afam(m): 10:37pm On Mar 31, 2010
nex:

@Afam

Facts are sacred and they always stand the test of time. Lies never last!

Mr. Afam, I really did not set out to oppose you and your "glaring" facts, I'm just saying that there are cases where the estimated bill is less than the actual consumption. However, now that you clearly want some opposition, I'll ask what the METER MAINTENANCE CHARGE for a 1 Phase meter is. Then what's the FIXED CHARGE for a 1 Phase meter.

Add the MMC + FC and then multiply that by your 26 months, then subtract it from N2,500. Whatever you get left, divide it by N6.50 and that will  give your consumption of power in kWh. Please let us know what that figure is. it is most likely in the negative.

Well, since you say that your current billing has been hovering around N300 and N450, that's an average of N375 per month. Multiplied by 26 month, we'll have a bill of N9,700 over the past 2 years. So how really do you manage that N2,500 over two years for your 1 Phase pre-paid meter? Enlighten us please.

By the way, when I say that people complaining about estimated bills are just helpless children, I meant those who refuse to complain and straighten out their bills, not people like you and I who are ready to take up any errors with the PHCN head on.

The accumulated meter maintenance charge for the 26 months gets paid for when recharging so I agree that the total cost which was about N5,000.00 including VAT should have been added (even though this was paid after 26 months at the point of recharging the meter) only God knows how they calculated it but since it was about what I envisaged I had no problem paying it. The important thing here remains that the actual cost of electricity during this time was less than N2,500.00.

Clarification

I live in a house and I have an office. I thought that should be clear enough considering the fact that I had written about prepaid meter (office) and regular monthly bill of about N350.00 (house). Just to clarify so that there will be no misunderstanding.

netotse:

1.your situation is the exception(heck if i didn't know of you i'd say you were lying, i still find it hard to believe). correct me if i'm wrong, you aren't using a fridge or an air conditioner, infact all you use is prolly only illumination.

What a silly conclusion. I guess I depend on you for cold drinks or you constantly supply them whenever I have any need for them. There are energy efficient freezers (not just fridges) so stop displaying this type of silly reasoning all in the name of arguing.

netotse:

2.how many nigerians are aware of the term energy efficiency not to mention practising it sef? better still, how many PHCN officials know the term?(sad abi?)

Not my business.

netotse:

3.to my knowledge, they simply cannot afford the costs associated with sucha venture, it's the same thing with the water bill, how easy do u think it is to walk up and down streets er'day? how much are they being paid sef? (is i said in a previous post, i am against estimated billing o!)

the fact is that the average nigerian is extremely wasteful when it comes to using electricity(i'm sure you agree with the foregoing) and i'm sure that's what nex had in mind. If we have to estimate, then it should be done properly, i.e. taking into cognizance the appliances the consumer has in his house, PHCN doesn't do this(frankly i think it's either because they're too lazy or it's the square pegs in round holes thingy).

Another pointless argument. PHCN actually have a unit that handles meter reading and most times they are contracted to outsiders who do the actual job or whenever convenient use estimate depending on what makes the most sense to them.

netotse:

the oga was merely conjecturing, based on past experience(which he prolly has a lot of), as i've stated before, you are an exception and if things were considered from a statistical viewpoint, then your case wouldn't matter, because it's a drop in a pond. I can only imagine what the lecture was like for him, i'm sure you've been told before sha, you have a way of making it seem like you're condescending when you argue(dont know if thats the right word) as in, at times i imagine you having a look of disdain on your face as you type.

you're right, it's wrong to compare a 3 phase bill with a single phase bill.(i'm ashamed to say i really have no idea what the diff is btw having a single phase or having 3 phases supply in your house)

I am really not interested in any silly conclusion you have about what I say or how I type. But one thing is sure, I detest idiots who rather than focus on issues would spend time focusing on personalities.

netotse:

the problem with having your meter read every month is the frequency of trips required, bringing the bills is only once a month, but having the meters read in addition to dropping bills, would require an additional trip, thus increasing the strain on the workers, which ideally should lead to an increase in pay.

PHCN's problem should not make a paying customer pay more than necessary otherwise it becomes fraud.

Learn to stick to the issues on any thread you get involved in.
Re: Electricity Tariff Set To Rise by Sike(m): 9:46pm On May 25, 2011
tunde1200:

even if the tarif goes up and we get constant power its ok, but if no power and tarif goes up its robbery
Gbam!!! CONFIRM,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cnn’s I-list Heads To Nigeria – As Nigeria Gears Up To Celebrate 50 Years Of Ind / APC Rubbishes Jonathan's Declaration Speech! / Jonathan Put Nigeria’s Economy In Women’s Hands –patience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.