Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,566 members, 7,955,100 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 04:54 PM

What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? (68285 Views)

Osun: The Cheapest State To Live In The South / My Trip To Hawaii, The Aloha State In USA / World's Most Expensive (And Cheapest) Cities Revealed,See Where Lagos Is (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by Nowenuse: 6:03am On Nov 30, 2017
Mbediogu:

You should know na. Isolated and transient skirmishes between kindred clans (something that has been there for aeons) are different from the skirmishes are different from the earth quaking tsunamic and well planned bloodshed that goes on all over a region at the same time. Even if you dont know, Nigerians know. My grandfather, grandmother and two uncles whom I never knew never made it back from Kano in 1966. But I served NYSC in the north (Benue) and thoroughly enjoyed it. The Tiv, Idoma, Igala are great hosts. I dont know your part of the north.

Benue is more of the middlebelt. Southerners have never been killed or attacked in any part of the middlebelt except maybe the Biafran war. Were Igbos not also attacked in the midwest and yoruba land during the war? Did that stop them from migrating back to those areas after the war? Heck, there are millions of Igbos still living in the north. Did your people not also tell you how they tied big stones to the necks of all northerners in Onitsha and threw them all in the River Niger to drown? The war is the past.

You are talking of the welcoming nature of middlebelt tribes (Tiv, Idoma n Igala). Do you know that the Biafran army attacked, bombed, killed and raped many of them in Kogi & Benue boundary areas? Pls we all have decided to leave that ugly past where it belonged and move forward.

It's also good to see how you played down the Southern problems. My family was in Warri around 2001 i think, during the Ijaw- Itsekiri crisis, my mother was almost hit by flying bullets in Okere market where dozens of dead bodies were flat before her eyes. Go and ask about that crisis that shook the whole of Warri and brought the whole city to a standstill. See how Badoo members are killing people in their sleep all over Ikorodu, Lagos. I have relatives still living there in the heart of Ikorodu. Or is it not the same Lagos where we hear of our people who board vehicles and never returned home? (ritual killings). Does such happen in the north? Hell no! See my brother, let's just forget these things. Nowhere is free from problems.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by arootech: 6:15am On Nov 30, 2017
i have not gone to all the state in Nigeria, but i guess kaduna should get the nod ahead of other state...
Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by jaychubi: 6:44am On Nov 30, 2017
1realBobby:
Dear nairalanders... I actually want to relocate from my present location right now, I have limited resources ( like 100k) in my account...
please any idea of where I can relocate to in Nigeria that has good security, cost of living at minimum and cheap and affordable houses to rent...
please help a brother out.. I need good suggestions please

Since its biz come to Aba, though 100k is low

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by SAVAGEBETS: 6:46am On Nov 30, 2017
Luxuryconsult:
ibadan or akure is your best bet in South west.. Things are so relatively cheap in ibadan. You'd get single room self con around apete area (though a rural place but very populous cuz it's closer to the polytechnic, Ibadan) around 60k upward, you can also get around 70k upward around eleyele axis, eleyele is better than apete in so many ways and there are three tetiary institutions situated in that area, electricity is very good. And if you can afford something 150k, you'd get a tiled single room self con in old bodija (an estate) or challenge and so forth.. Some part of ibadan are very peaceful, once you don't stay around all those ghetto areas like, bere, mopol and all the so called ibadan central cities.. Food is cheap, transport too. But getting a good paid job in ib can be so frustrating, so it would so much be in your favour if you are self made and get a shop/office in some selected parts of ibadan. Don't forget ibadan is a very big city, the biggest in west africa i believe so there are lots of places you can surely stay. Those places i mentioned to you are places i'm so familiar with. And things are not as cheap in akure as ibadan though but still cheap to some extent.. Transportation is kinda expensve in ondo state generally than most other south west states. And food is still kinda expensive too but ondo state i believe is still the most peaceful state in south west presently and akure is beautiful to some extent. But even though it is a state capital, it is still somehow scanty unlike few other state capitals. But you'd surely get cheaper accomodations in places like oke aro, oba ile and few other places and if you have a degree that can be considered for a teaching job, then you'd probably get to earn about 15k - 25k or more monthly depending on the kinda school you get. This teaching job applies to ibadan also. And if you don't care much about all those online report about osogbo then it's a city you can give a trial too. You'd get accomodation for 60k i mean single room self con but i don't know much about their jobs.

Emm, as much as I appreciate the effort you put into this response about ibadan I must say virtually everything here is a false. I lived in ibadan from 2015 till I relocated December 28 2016, my friend did same too, I'll make this as short as possible.

I have lived almost everywhere in this country and for the Op let me say this Ibadan it's not cheap, at least not a place to start up life. You want a cheap place to start up life? pick any state in the the middle belt or North central. I lived at Omolayo Estate Akobo and during my time there I found the following.
#Ibadan is big yes.
#Transportation in Ibadan is not cheap, example I went from akobo to palms shopping mall to get something which I still didn't find and back home and that cost me 800 Naira to and fro. My cousin lives at Akingbile and going to visit him gulps about 1k. Ibadan lacks good road network do a journey that should take 15mins takes 45.
#There's no light generally in ibadan, if you want to enjoy light make sure you rent a house in an area where at least 80% of the inhabitants use prepaid meter example from general gas down to ojurin and here's why, Nepa sends light to such places cos if they don't people won't exhaust their units and reload and they need them to so we almost always had light at akobo and if we didn't then we know there's really no light in ibadan.
Now Op I hope you're Yoruba and if you're not I hope yoh can speak it fluently if not please forget yorubaland if it's not Lagos, yah y'all can have my head for that but I'll say it, they can discriminate for Africa and they'll rub it at your face while at it, to an average Yoruba man only three tribes exists, if you're not Yoruba you better be Hausa and if you're not then forget it "omo Igbo ni yen" and most of em just don't like an igbo person, once you're classified igbo threat level goes up, but the exposed and well travelled ones are very good to deal and work with. Not being able to speak the language fluently automatically drops your chances and position in the pecking order even if you're the most qualified in a formal environment.

Accommodation is not cheap if you want a sane environment with light, there's no such thing as a room self contain outside school area, and crime rate is high in the school area, your house can be burgled between yoh going to church and getting back in the afternoon and same goes for other areas too cos there people run when there's a security threat for fear of reprisals unlike the South or east where they mobilise and apprehend. Also what they call self contain is you having your own room with a personal toiletif you get the masters bedroom in a flat or a shared toilet, such will set you back minimum 130k to 170k.

I'm currently in Minna 17th state for almost a year and I can tell you it's your best bet if you're starting out, you can scout for jobs in Abuja and kaduna from here. Here I rented a standard room and parlour self contain apartment in a fenced secure compound with water in town for 80k tho the other two tenants who joined paid 100k do landlord had reviewed his price I guess, it's peaceful here, I work online so I can live anywhere I want. No religious crises here, it's the most peaceful of the North central state. It can be boring cos it's not crowded and hot tho.
dazall. Worthy mention are Yola, Benin, Ilorin,Makurdi,Jalingo, jos and generally middle belt and North central states.

9 Likes

Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by OldBeer: 6:56am On Nov 30, 2017
1realBobby:
please anyone... is asoro olorunsogo a local place in Ibadan or inside town? thanks
Since you have selected Ibadan and Oshogbo for now, make another thread so that the residents of both can offer you the advantages of each.
Nice thread.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by ugolinze123(m): 6:57am On Nov 30, 2017
come to owerri...its the cheapest you can get in the country

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by tola268: 7:00am On Nov 30, 2017
1realBobby:
Dear nairalanders... I actually want to relocate from my present location right now, I have limited resources ( like 100k) in my account...
please any idea of where I can relocate to in Nigeria that has good security, cost of living at minimum and cheap and affordable houses to rent...
Come to state of osun, a secluded country on itself. We have our own cote of arm, we have our own nation anthem, we are using authoritative and parliamentry system of government. Our state of osun country is peaceful except untold hardship that make workers and pensioners die like stock-fish
Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by SAVAGEBETS: 7:08am On Nov 30, 2017
1realBobby:

oh... I see..

I live at Benin currently... why I want to relocate is quite personal to me...

and I've got sufficient paper qualifications and I am a professional welder.. ( electrode and argon welding)..
thanks for your suggestions.. they have really been helpful
in that case I'd say you should go to where you're skills will be, places with lots of fabrication industries where your chances of getting hired is higher, what you should be looking for is states with a high metal work demand, few come to mind, Anambara, I think Ogun, Kogi(ajakuta) kano, can't remember the name of the area where lots of fuel tankers and water tanks are made, such states is what you should be looking for.I'd have said straight up South South but it's saturated, there's a lot of opportunities and demand for your skills in the East from imo to enugu cos they do a lot of metal work in such states, I didn't include Lagos cos everything happens there lol.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by SAVAGEBETS: 7:12am On Nov 30, 2017
ugolinze123:
come to owerri...its the cheapest you can get in the country
Stop it, I'm from Imo state and I've lived in owerri, owerri and enugu are the most expensive of the eastern states with both of them jostling for the top spot of most expensive lol.
Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by SAVAGEBETS: 7:19am On Nov 30, 2017
tola268:
Come to state of osun, a secluded country on itself. We have our own cote of arm, we have our own nation anthem, we are using authoritative and parliamentry system of government. Our state of osun country is peaceful except untold hardship that make workers and pensioners die like stock-fish

what do you do? What's your expertise, don't just relocate to a state where you'd be redundant but if you want cheap like very cheap you either go to offa, kwara, oshogbo, osun, maikunkele,niger state and 50naira keke to minna, you'll get a good single room for 25 to 35k then use about 50k to start any business even if it's frying akara. The beautiful thing about relocating is that it gives yoh a fresh start so no shame of embarrassment, fry the akara and rake in the profit or spend the remaining money and be broke in a strange land.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by SAVAGEBETS: 7:20am On Nov 30, 2017
SAVAGEBETS:

what do you do? What's your expertise, don't just relocate to a state where you'd be redundant but if you want cheap like very cheap you either go to offa, kwara, oshogbo, osun, maikunkele,niger state and 50naira keke to minna, you'll get a good single room for 25 to 35k then use about 50k to start any business even if it's frying akara. The beautiful thing about relocating is that it gives yoh a fresh start so no shame of embarrassment, fry the akara and rake in the profit or spend the remaining money and be broke in a strange land.

sorry that was meant for 1realboy
Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by africanusvu(m): 7:26am On Nov 30, 2017
Onitsha or Nnewi.u get accommodation based on ur taste.u can do any biz.foodstuffs too cheap.security OK.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by sleepingqueen25(f): 7:26am On Nov 30, 2017
uboma:

Kaduna and Plateau are states where you can get by so easily.

What do you have against the Northern region?
his case is different...
Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by patrick89(m): 7:29am On Nov 30, 2017
1realBobby:
wow... thanks for your suggestions guys.. so this thing finally made fp...

hmmm... I think my mind has been narrowed down to Ibadan or osogbo .... please guys how much does a one room self contain / bedsitter go for in any of these places?

Finally all these noise makers have succeeded in fooling you.
You, wanting to relocate shows that you are ambitious, but relocating from Benin to Oshogbo or Ibadan is a foolish move.
You have a skill that can earn you so much money and you want to trade it with cheap food and cheap accommodation, you will end up as a cheap man!
How many millionaires are domiciled in Oshogbo doing business? How many workers are living large in Oshogbo or Ibadan? These are the things you should look at before making that decision. All these people shouting cheap cheap cheap ,have families and people who have been living their, adopted to the environment.
You will have to spend one or more years, before you acclimatize in those places, you have picked.

What I will advice you are the following. Don't enter into any state that is backward in commerce and industrialization, especially in this recession.
Oshogbo is out of it, as their purchasing power is the lowest atm. This is a civil servant state where government does not pay salaries, it means poor circulation of money. And no money to buy whatever you are selling!
Ibadan is a very laid back city, it is filled with struggling citizens, retired indigenes who do not wish to push further in life, don't go and join them.

Here are my best pick for you...
1. Lagos, it is a cosmopolitan with both rich and poor population. But the good thing is, you can easily get a job with your skill. There is also huge purchasing power there. So move into sub urban areas like alagbado, makoko, you can even go to shagamu,and those close areas in Ogun state, there are constructions going on there on a daily basis.
2. Port Harcourt. See you can not write this place off, because of the unlimited opportunities there, especially from oil companies who would be seeking for your skills. You are from Benin, which has similar political system with PH. So you can adopt easily. Who knows, you may land yourself a very lucrative job.
3. Aba. Based on your skills, Aba stands out in this, provided you have a skill, you can never be jobless. You would be shocked to know the number of non indigenes that are working there. Your skills can stand you out, and put so much money in your pocket.
4. Kaduna/ kano . I put them together because they have similar economy, but kano has more industries and commerce. These two cities can give you what you want, but I'm afraid, since you don't want north,it may turn out very bad.
5. You can try the neighbouring Asaba, it is a booming place with a lot of construction ongoing there. Your skills would be highly needed...

My last advice....
Never you leave Benin (oil producing city, with higher commercial and cash flow) to Oshogbo or Ibadan or any of those laid back cities. We are technically in recession and their purchasing power is very low. But what do I know you can go and try.

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by SAVAGEBETS: 7:35am On Nov 30, 2017
patrick89:

Finally all these noise makers have succeeded in fooling you.
You, wanting to relocate shows that you are ambitious, but relocating from Benin to Oshogbo or Ibadan is a foolish move.
You have a skill that can earn you so much money and you want to trade it with cheap food and cheap accommodation, you will end up as a cheap man!
How many millionaires are domiciled in Oshogbo doing business? How many workers are living large in Oshogbo or Ibadan? These are the things you should look at before making that decision. All these people shouting cheap cheap cheap ,have families and people who have been living their, adopted to the environment.
You will have to spend one or more years, before you acclimatize in those places, you have picked.

What I will advice you are the following. Don't enter into any state that is backward in commerce and industrialization, especially in this recession.
Oshogbo is out of it, as their purchasing power is the lowest atm. This is a civil servant state where government does not pay salaries, it means poor circulation of money. And no money to buy whatever you are selling!
Ibadan is a very laid back city, it is filled with struggling citizens, retired indigenes who do not wish to push further in life, don't go and join them.

Here are my best pick for you...
1. Lagos, it is a cosmopolitan with both rich and poor population. But the good thing is, you can easily get a job with your skill. There is also huge purchasing power there. So move into sub urban areas like alagbado, makoko, you can even go to shagamu,and those close areas in Ogun state, there are constructions going on there on a daily basis.
2. Port Harcourt. See you can not write this place off, because of the unlimited opportunities there, especially from oil companies who would be seeking for your skills. You are from Benin, which has similar political system with PH. So you can adopt easily. Who knows, you may land yourself a very lucrative job.
3. Aba. Based on your skills, Aba stands out in this, provided you have a skill, you can never be jobless. You would be shocked to know the number of non indigenes that are working there. Your skills can stand you out, and put so much money in your pocket.
4. Kaduna/ kano . I put them together because they have similar economy, but kano has more industries and commerce. These two cities can give you what you want, but I'm afraid, since you don't want north,it may turn out very bad.
5. You can try the neighbouring Asaba, it is a booming place with a lot of construction ongoing there. Your skills would be highly needed...

My last advice....
Never you leave Benin (oil producing city, with higher commercial and cash flow) to Oshogbo or Ibadan or any of those laid back cities. We are technically in recession and their purchasing power is very low. But what do I know you can go and try.
exactly, when I saw his skill I just knew he was making a terrible mistake hence the second post to him, I wasn't so sure of ogun cos most of the industries there are food and beverages.
Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by patrick89(m): 7:40am On Nov 30, 2017
SAVAGEBETS:

exactly, when I saw his skill I just knew he was making a terrible mistake hence the second post to him, I wasn't so sure of ogun cos most of the industries there are food and beverages.
My brother, with all due respect to Oshogbo and Ibadan fans. Those places are killer dreams atm.
You can not prosper,in a state that is hugely dependent on government, and the government is not paying salaries, with huge debt accumulated. Where would monies come from?
Ogun state is a good bet but limited only to those areas close to lagos.
If you are not Yoruba or Hausa , you are omoibo whether you like it or not...
He should stick to my advice and leave all these nonsense cheap cheap noise, that's how they remain poor and backward!

8 Likes

Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by BabsAINA(m): 7:44am On Nov 30, 2017
Ogun state (Abeokuta) because of proximity to Lagos.
Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by KingOfSkills: 7:44am On Nov 30, 2017
1realBobby:
go to Kano, stay in Sabon gari if u are not a northerner, the place is OK. life is not too expensive there

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by SAVAGEBETS: 7:49am On Nov 30, 2017
patrick89:

My brother, with all due respect to Oshogbo and Ibadan fans. Those places are killer dreams atm.
You can not prosper,in a state that is hugely dependent on government, and the government is not paying salaries, with huge debt accumulated. Where would monies come from?
Ogun state is a good bet but limited only to those areas close to lagos.
If you are not Yoruba or Hausa , you are omoibo whether you like it or not...
He should stick to my advice and leave all these nonsense cheap cheap noise, that's how they remain poor and backward!

That omoibo part eh, that one na full stop lol
Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by SAVAGEBETS: 7:51am On Nov 30, 2017
KingOfSkills:
go to Kano, stay in Sabon gari if u are not a northerner, the place is OK. life is not too expensive there

Stop it, which of the sabongari? from France road down to nomansland to sabonkwakwaci are all expensive.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by patrick89(m): 7:52am On Nov 30, 2017
BabsAINA:
Ogun state (Abeokuta) because of proximity to Lagos.

You guys should just stop these misinformation! Abeokuta is not close to Lagos.. If you are talking of mowe, shagamu sango agbara then I would agree. But never you bring the ghost town Abeokuta here again!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by patrick89(m): 7:57am On Nov 30, 2017
SAVAGEBETS:

That omoibo part eh, that one na full stop lol

I have said my own.... I speak without any prejudice! Southwest state is very tribalistic. You can not live their without speaking Yoruba it's not possible.... If you progress more than them you are in trouble, its everywhere thou, but theirs very terrible.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by Sike(m): 8:06am On Nov 30, 2017
IBADAN
Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by KingOfSkills: 8:08am On Nov 30, 2017
SAVAGEBETS:

Stop it, which of the sabongari? from France road down to nomansland to sabonkwakwaci are all expensive.
ehn, I see.

Ok na, I concur, I only said the little I know sha.

Do you reside in Sabon gari?
Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by SAVAGEBETS: 8:23am On Nov 30, 2017
patrick89:

I have said my own.... I speak without any prejudice! Southwest state is very tribalistic. You can not live their without speaking Yoruba it's not possible.... If you progress more than them you are in trouble, its everywhere thou, but theirs very terrible.
Big trouble lol, you're a threat, what makes the tribalism different is that it's not subtle, it's to your face, I've had so many experiences from the bank to the lady selling pepper at the estate gate, it was worse in the church and I mean worse.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by SAVAGEBETS: 8:25am On Nov 30, 2017
KingOfSkills:
ehn, I see.
Ok na, I concur, I only said the little I know sha.
Do you reside in Sabon gari?
Right now no, I lived there between 2009/2011
Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by Funkybabee(f): 8:51am On Nov 30, 2017
sod09:
I prefer ede
Hbd sorry it's coming late

Ede....in all town in osun

Anyway thanks
Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by 1nigeriamyfoot: 8:57am On Nov 30, 2017
spartacus11:

See my nigga was up man, oya come help me for lagos na Ajah i meed apartment
Check dat website, dem be reliable agent. I use them as well
Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by fineyemi(m): 8:58am On Nov 30, 2017
debola27:

How close is your place to uniosun? I need a hostel close to the school, with constant electricity and water supply
See the pictures below

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by fineyemi(m): 8:59am On Nov 30, 2017
debola27:

How close is your place to uniosun? I need a hostel close to the school, with constant electricity and water supply
See another

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by westjoy(m): 9:00am On Nov 30, 2017
My brother the best place to leave with this your skill is Oshogbo straight, don't waste your time, their light okay and they are friendly accommodating cost of living is low food also cheap but for you to enjoy Oshogbo don't stay in old are, as stranger to excel in Oshogbo is at your beckon GOODLUCK
Re: What Is The Best And Cheapest State In Nigeria To Start Up Life? by ImaIma1(f): 9:04am On Nov 30, 2017
Basic123:

Who takes hatred-filled Ipob terrorists serious about osogbo.Its not even online its only nairaland.

if you want a city with the most stable electricity in Nigeria its city of Osogbo.Things are cheap(good 3 bedroom flat of 150) and peaceful too.

You are very right. I stayed a year in osogbo. Electricity was good. ..about 20hrs or more a day. Accommodation is pretty cheap too. Foodstuffs are also really cheap. However, not so many companies/organizations for job prospects but getting a job is not impossible.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Carverton Helicopters' Premises Sealed Off In Port Harcourt (Photo) / ‘Alien Like’ Fish Washes Up On Australian Beach (Pix) / This Will Be The 3rd Flyover Bridge Built By Ambode In Lagos (see PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.