Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,660 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:59 PM

Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery (23569 Views)

Eldee The Don: How I Contributed To The Decay Called Yahoo Boys / Mother-In-Law Of Eldee The Don Is Dead (Photos) / Eldee The Don And Wife, Dolapo Celebrate 9th Wedding Anniversary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by Nobody: 4:23pm On Nov 29, 2017
true that

all those people who have taken relatives from the village to mind their children are also doing the same

exploitation

because it is far easier to get some small pikin that can be chanced rather than an adult that will expect full minimum wage

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by Nobody: 4:23pm On Nov 29, 2017
Those stealing Nigeria money are involved in slavery
Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by Nobody: 4:27pm On Nov 29, 2017
Jubilancy:
I like to think of it as employment # tagging it as slavery is way over the top for me

I like the part where Eldee said: "We can try to evolve."

Aunty, it is not employment, it is slavery. If it were to be employment, would you be open to your pre-teen/teen doing chores from morning till night, missing out social activities and learning; missing out on being a child; missing out on having a childhood?

I suspect you're already engaging in this evil Eldee speaks of, or you're the product of an environment where a child was exploited. And to think that you're a woman sef.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by greypencils: 4:27pm On Nov 29, 2017
Jubilancy:
I like to think of it as employment # tagging it as slavery is way over the top for me
deal with it woman. Most househelps are maltreated, beaten, discriminated against and abused and at that very tender age...slavery is what it is...no less

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by Ade3000yrs(m): 4:28pm On Nov 29, 2017
this is a very big national issue that boarders on every culture which aides and abait such. this crime is likened to the legalisation or prostitution in Nigeria, if you say its right then this is right also. but if legalising prostitution in Africa is 100 times or 100% wrong, then child labour will still continue to remain an injustice and 100% wrong!!!! I am 100% against child labour because I have once been there before, though that account for my discipline and military culture today, however, I will be quick to condemn and rebuke it for any child any where I find it.
The irony is that like the case of Joseph sold to slavery in the bible, most of the serious minded ones among this kids end up been useful to themselves and their nation while the elites and free ranged and freedom lavished kids ends up to be the nuisance of their generation, a monumental disgrace, indecisive, irresponsible adult kids, and dependent lots. Its a very big Irony! Big up Elder, I believe in this your reflection.
Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by Lomprico2: 4:29pm On Nov 29, 2017
Eldee shut up! Slaves dont get paid!!
Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by Ngene44: 4:31pm On Nov 29, 2017
solasoulmusic:
Slaves are bought and sold one time but employment is paying wages monthly so please how is that similar I applaud him for fighting a brave fight but abeg please wetin concern employment and slavery ...have you seen a slave with a bank account exactly

we have domestic and international slaves. You pick up a 9 years old girl , denying her the right to education and all forms of freedom because u are paying her referral, is that not slavery?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by Lexiboyd(m): 4:34pm On Nov 29, 2017
argob44:
A prominent American Nigeria based pastor, Rev. Laurie Idahosa has shared series of tweets by Nigerian singer, Eldee The Don who said "we should also reflect in slavery around us" even as we lament on the reported slavery going on in Libya.

Laurie Idahosa wrote:

WARNING!!!!
CONTROVERSIAL POST THAT MAY MAKE YOU THINK..... Be sure to swipe and read all the tweets, even if it "pinches."
I came across this thread on twitter and found myself shouting "YES! THIS IS THE MENTALITY THAT ALLOWS MODERN DAY SLAVERY TO THRIVE!"

I ended up retweeting each post. I have been saying this for years and have gotten lots of backlashes and have heard many well-formed defenses from friends who partake in such practices.

Maybe this is the time to bring the WHOLE matter to light. It is easy to create awareness and to cry over something that seems abstract and far away... What about the "slavery" many witnesses or even engage in regularly in their homes?

If you can't afford to hire a consenting adult or pay your workers minimum wage (at the very least) then... do your own laundry! Take care of your own kids! Sweep your own floor!.

Engaging a 12-year-old girl from the village to help you carry your baby while denying her education and a free-life is slavery... any which way you try to defend it.
#endslavery #endmoderndayslavery

SOURCE: http://www.asbgistng.com/2017/11/slavery-libya-house-help-eldee-react.html

we've so many forms of slavery in Nigeria, some of those guys would prefer been sold to the western world than to return here.
Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by obailala(m): 4:34pm On Nov 29, 2017
I concur with Eldee 100% ... Slavery isnt only when a different race exploits black men.

When the black man exploits his fellow black man, thats also pure slavery; and many of us are either guilty as charged, or have been involved in environments where such domestic slavery is practiced.

2 Likes

Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by greypencils: 4:35pm On Nov 29, 2017
And pls tell me which twelve yr old househelp has a bank account? You want a househelp? Get one above age 18. If we find this pill difficult to swallow then we are no better than the white massa's that bought niggers and branded them as theirs during the slave trade era, we are far worse
solasoulmusic:
Slaves are bought and sold one time but employment is paying wages monthly so please how is that similar I applaud him for fighting a brave fight but abeg please wetin concern employment and slavery ...have you seen a slave with a bank account exactly

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by ajl: 4:36pm On Nov 29, 2017
Jubilancy:

Employment of an under-age? Is that what you call employment. That aside, is the under-age being paid the minimum? Start doing that first, then maybe you have a point. Even employing under-age is by itself illegal.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by ajl: 4:37pm On Nov 29, 2017
Jubilancy:

Employment of an under-age? Is that what you call employment. That aside, is the under-age being paid the minimum wage? Start doing that first, then maybe you have a point. Even employing under-age is by itself illegal.

1 Like

Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by Nobody: 4:38pm On Nov 29, 2017
There are some house helps that some people use that are NOT paid directly... these people pay to the person (aunty/uncle) that brought them while the actual boy/girl doing the house help work gets nothing. That is what Eldee is talking about.

In western countries there are laws against such practices as they term it SLAVERY!

solasoulmusic:

2 Likes

Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by Nobody: 4:39pm On Nov 29, 2017
Raiyell:

I like the part where Eldee said: "We can try to evolve."

Aunty, it is not employment, it is slavery. If it were to be employment, would you be open to your pre-teen/teen doing chores from morning till night, missing out social activities and learning; missing out on being a child; missing out on having a childhood?

I suspect you're already engaging in this evil Eldee speaks of, or you're the product of an environment where a child was exploited. And to think that you're a woman sef.

they are 'helping' them na.
Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by KemjikaEme: 4:40pm On Nov 29, 2017
Nothing can be compared to human slavery especially when it done by other races as a result of their prejudice against Black people.
It absolutely disgust me when people try to theorize Black Slavery and attempt to give it other definitions. What is happenning in Libya is Pure Slavery which is entirely different from House helps and Child Labour.
All countries in the world have house helps,assistants,nannies etc that either live with them or away from them.
Child labour is another evil that equally present in most countries around the world.

From time immemorial in Africa, children and adults are often employed to help around the house and take care of younger children and usually under the care of their gurdians.
Slavery on the other hand is the enslavement of human beings,the buying, selling and absolute ownership of human beings.
The Househelp is employed to work and is placed under the care of her gurdians, Slaves are owned by individuals and bound to their owners.
Africans should stop being stupid, slavery is not equivalent to employment of househelps!!
Slavery in Libya is incomparable to any sort of indectured servitude/house help.

1 Like

Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by Godsonkemz(m): 4:41pm On Nov 29, 2017
Having a househelp is not an offense so long as she's being treated well, but it becomes an offense and slavery when you maltreat the helpless househelp because you suspect she's a witch or husband snatcher without proof.
Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by greypencils: 4:43pm On Nov 29, 2017
All these nonsense women that will be supporting child slavery in the name of needing a househelp. They are the same ones that will be shouting feminism upandan

4 Likes

Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by Nobody: 4:44pm On Nov 29, 2017
monex:

It is slavery !

(1) you cant employ a child - child labor

(2) you don't pay the child the wages but instead pay someone else - human trafficking

all the child gets from you depends on your benevolence e.g. school, food, shelter etc.

employ an above 18 house maid and pay him/her for her services directly.

Exactly.

1 Like

Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by Nobody: 4:45pm On Nov 29, 2017
There will always be slaves. However, this is a clear difference between a case of forced labour/ voluntary labour. We should stop being unitelligent.

1 Like

Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by yinka2011: 4:46pm On Nov 29, 2017
Bleep this
Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by greypencils: 4:47pm On Nov 29, 2017
KemjikaEme:
Nothing can be compared to human slavery especially when it done by other races as a result of their prejudice against Black people.
It absolutely disgust me when people try to theorize Black Slavery and attempt to give it other definitions. What is happenning in Libya is Pure Slavery which is entirely different from House helps and Child Labour.
All countries in the world have assistants,nannies etc that either live with them or away from them.
Child labour is equally present in most countries around the world.
In Africa, children are often employed to help around the house and take care of younger children and usually under the care of their gurdians.
Slavery on the other hand is the enslavement of human beings,the buying, selling and ownership of human beings.
The Househelp is employed to work and is placed under the care of her gurdians, Slaves are owned by individuals and bound to their owners.
Africans should stop being stupid, slavery in human flesh is not the same as employment of househelps!!
If you dont understand that there is no ethical difference between outright libyan type slavery and child slaves, denying a child education and freedom in the name of having a househelp, then you are the one who is stupid.

8 Likes

Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by raumdeuter: 4:48pm On Nov 29, 2017
True
Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by kingsilly(m): 4:52pm On Nov 29, 2017
Godsonkemz:
Having a househelp is not an offense so long as she's being treated well, but it becomes an offense and slavery when you maltreat the helpless househelp because you suspect she's a witch or husband snatcher without proof.

Who employs an under age..

1 Like

Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by Nobody: 4:53pm On Nov 29, 2017
Jubilancy:

It is slavery. Ecspecially when theyre children. All these decisions are being made for them.

If u want to get a help, get one at least 16 and above. And treat them like an employee. I dont even support live-in helps.
The truth is a lot of people treat their help like theyre a slaveowner. Getting mad at minute things. Beating, slapping, punishing, constant unrelenting verbal abuse. Some even get mad dt the person had the audacity to take a nap. Like theyre less dn human.

3 Likes

Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by TellMeNothing: 4:54pm On Nov 29, 2017
The true Music Icons!

Not all these ones that only know how sing about yansh and money and can't contribute or talk about socio-economic happenings..

Eldee, Tuale.

1 Like

Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by KemjikaEme: 4:56pm On Nov 29, 2017
greypencils:
If you dont understand that there is no ethical difference between outright libyan type slavery and child slaves, denying a child education and freedom in the name of having a househelp, then you are the one who is stupid.
I didn't mention your name when i posted the difference between slavery and indectured servitude and the stupidity behind mixing up the two.
Indectured servitude has always been a way of life in Africa and has created a system where people can understudy their guardians and become part of their family or business.
Househelps whether children or adult is not slavery and cannot be compared to slavery.
It can only be slavery when people are denied their basic rights or maltreated.
As a Nigerian, i have witnessed numerous poor child house helps become a member of the host family,treated kindly and sent to school. Not every woman is interested in maltreating her employees.
House help is not child slavery based on the circumstances surrounding it.
Househelps are employed , Slaves are bought and owned!
Keep your stupidity to yourself!
Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 29, 2017
KemjikaEme:

I didn't mention your name when i posted the difference between slavery and indectured servitude and the stupidity behind mixing up the two.
Indectured servitude has always been a way of life in Africa and has created a system where people can understudy their guardians and become part of their family or business.
Househelps whether children or adult is not slavery and cannot be compared to slavery.
It can only be slavery when people are denied their basic rights or maltreated.
As a Nigerian, i have witnessed numerous poor child house helps become a member of the host family,treated kindly and sent to school. Not every woman is interested in maltreating her employees.
House help is not child slavery based on the circumstances surrounding it.
Househelps are employed , Slaves are bought and owned!
Keep your stupidity to yourself!

You think keeping a child in your house as a servant is not a violation of her\his rights?

The simple question - can you agree to subject your child to exactly the same circumstances as your 'well treated' househelp?

If you are such a good person, why are you not employing an adult who is in control of his/her destiny and wages?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by mrdipye(m): 5:08pm On Nov 29, 2017
How did it all happen all over again in Libya
Or are they still in the 18th century?

A Nigerian should emulate Etoo pls
Lets stop copying irrelevants like people that are already copying Ebuka dressing code to Bank W and Adesuwa wedding, let's copy and do what Etoo did for Cameroonians.
God bless you
Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by KemjikaEme: 5:14pm On Nov 29, 2017
oyb:

You think keeping a child in your house as a servant is not a violation of her\his rights?

The simple question - can you agree to subject your child to exactly the same circumstances as your 'well treated' househelp?

If you are such a good person, why are you not employing an adult who is in control of his/her destiny and wages?

Learn the difference between indectured help and slavery.
Most children house helps are those living in abject poverty in rural areas and are placed under guardians in the hope that they get a better life in the urban areas as the help their guardians around the house. Their parents are usually given a token for the services rendered while the older ones get to control their salary.
The problem of violation of right arises only when her/his wards maltreats him/her other than that house help is not comparble to auctioning and selling humans in broad day light.
Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by Nobody: 5:20pm On Nov 29, 2017
KemjikaEme:

Learn the difference between indectured help and slavery.
Most children house helps are those living in abject poverty in rural areas and are placed under guardians in the hope that they get a better life in the urban areas as the help their guardians around the house. Their parents are usually given a token for the services rendered while the older ones get to control their salary.
The problem of violation of right arises only when her/his wards maltreats him/her under than that house help is not comparble to auctioning and selling humans in broad day light.

Answer the question, can you subject your children to the same?

All you are doing is defending exploitation of the poor by the rich. Slave owners also believed they were doing slaves favours. Have you not read how some said that the slaves in the white house had it good?

You are not helping a child if you give him room board and a pittance in exchange for his /her servitude. You are callously exploiting the child's circumstances for your own convenience.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eldee On Slavery In Libya: Those With House Helps Are Also Involved In Slavery by Rubyventures: 5:25pm On Nov 29, 2017
Angy55:
100% true but it's better to be a slave in your homeland than be a slave in another man's land

I disagree, it doesn't matter where it happens there is nothing better about slavery.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

“I Didn't Attack Annie Idibia”– Sonia Ogbonna / Nigerian Celebrity Arm Wrestling Launched (Photos) / DJ Spinall Slams End SARS Online Activists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.