Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,956 members, 7,825,000 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. (3604 Views)

Bishop Oyedepo: If You Don’t Pay Your Tithe You Are Under A Financial Curse / Paying Your Tithe Is Biblical / Do This With Your Tithe Instead Of Giving It To Private Jet Owners (see Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by Ken4Christ: 3:03am On Dec 04, 2017
The subject of tithe has recently been a major issue of discussion occasioned by the myopic view and misguided teachings of unscrupulous elements who claim to understand the scriptures and the things of the Spirit. I will however enlighten us on why we should pay our tithes and even give more in the days we are living. Some of my points are;

1. Abraham our father of faith paid tithe and received his blessing from Melchizedec. The Bible says those who walk in his footsteps are also blessed. Romans 4:1. Besides, we are the faith seed of Abraham - Galatians 3:29. We should therefore do what our father Abraham did to secure his financial future.

2. Jacob, Abraham's grandson made a vow to tithe all his increase. There was no law at that time. He knew by the spirit the importance of tithing and even God reminded him of the vow. Gen 28:20-22, 31:13. If Jacob could have enough sense to give 10% of his increase to God, what should the New Creation who have received uncommon mercy be doing? Be wise like Jacob and pay your tithe. Notice, Jacob did not limit his tithe payment to his income. He paid tithe also from his increase. That means, students and non workers also should pay their tithes from their increase - whatsoever God has blessed you with.

3. Tithing became part of the law of Moses to show the importance it occupies in the mind of God. The law of Moses though has been abolished but the moral principles it teaches is upheld. What is the moral principles? First, full time workers in the house of God requires support and the 10% recommended is reasonable. Today, we also have full time workers in the house of God that requires your support. Without them, you will not enjoy some of the services they render. Most of them are University graduates. Your tithes helps to pay their salaries so they can serve you better.

What about instances they ate their tithe? At that time, the purpose of tithe has not been clearly defined. And it was eaten at the instruction of God. But after a while, they were commanded to give their tithes to the Levites. And the Levites in turn paid 10% of their tithes to the Priest. At this point, only the Levites were permitted to eat their tithes as a reward for their labour. So, the Jews did not always eat their tithes. It was before the office of the Levites was clearly defined they did that. Please, read the whole of Numbers, Chapter 18 for instructions concerning tithe payment.

4. In the New Testament, Jesus did not condemn tithing. He only said they shouldn't neglect the weightier matters of the Law - Matthew 23:23.

5. Tithe payment is an avenue through which God's blessings and favour is secured. If Prophet Malachi could open the eyes of the Jews to see the blessings that follows, we too by the same spiritual principles will receive the same blessings.

6. Jesus said, it is more blessed to give than to receive. That means, the more you give, the greater the blessings. So, instead of looking for reasons not to pay your tithe, you should be thinking of how to give more so you can receive more blessings.

7. The Apostles also emphasized support for full time workers. His emphasis was, give as God has blessed you - 1st Corinthians 16:2. Use your common sense. If God required 10% from your income to support workers in the house of God under the Old Testament, do you think you should give less because we are under grace? The grace of God at work in us should even cause us to give more. But start with the 10%. You can decide to make it 20%, 30% or even 90% depending on the level of grace of God upon your life.

8. The teachings of our Lord Jesus even demanded we should give much more even up to 100%. So, how could Jesus condemn tithe payment when he wants you to give much more than 10%. Mark 10:21, Luke 12:33. This instruction of our Lord Jesus demanding we should give virtually all we possess is actually the secret of true wealth. He told his disciples after the young rich ruler went away sad that you will receive in multiple proportions whatever you give away for his sake and the kingdom now in this life and in the life to come, eternal life - Mark 10:29-30.

9. Today, so many people are hurting and are in need of support one way or the other. When you pay your tithe, the Church will have enough reserve to assist those in need. You may want to argue that most Churches don't do that yet. Yes it is true, but there are Churches who reach out to their members in need. I believe over time, many more Churches will begin to reach out to their members in need. But let everyone begin to imbibe the culture of paying tithe and even giving more. If your current Church doesn't show concern for the needy, search for another place to worship.

10. The gospel God has called us to preach free but it is not cheap to propagate. Tithe payment can also assist in this areas; purchase of lands, payment of halls, equipment purchase, purchase of chairs etc. Ideally, this is not the main purpose of tithe. Special free will offerings should be raised for projects like this. But it there is an overflow in the amount of tithe needed to sustain the workforce, the excess can be channel along these other lines of needs thereby making the advancement of the gospel easier.

You see from these reasons why you should pay your tithes. The kingdom needs even more commitment from you. Don't allow the fleet of Jets own by a few men of God discourage you from paying your tithe. What makes you feel it is your tithe money they used? No responsible man of God will use your tithe money to buy a private jet. And there is absolutely nothing wrong in a man of God owing a private jet if it will help him fulfill his ministry. Though, I do not subscribe to several Jets by one man of God but he has his reasons for the extra Jets. But one thing I guarantee you, no man of God buys a private jet with tithe money. If anyone does that, God will judge him and he will come crashing sooner or later.

Most of these men of God are big givers and this is how they get their blessings. They give to other Ministries where they draw their inspirations from.

The moment you withdraw your tithe because of the baseless teachings of a man whose life will soon freeze away, you invariably set up yourself for financial disaster.

So, pay your tithe regularly and even give more. Over time, you will notice uncommon favour and blessings of God upon your life. You will also notice you spend less on medical bills and other unnecessary expenses. Above all, you are helping to advance the course of the gospel.
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by Topccy007: 3:05am On Dec 04, 2017
Freeze must hear this
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by petra1(m): 4:33am On Dec 04, 2017
Awesome write up

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by Kenny4lyfe(m): 4:48am On Dec 04, 2017
Space booked
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by feelgoodInc: 6:21am On Dec 04, 2017
http://www.thepointng.com/christians-are-not-to-pay-tithe-theologians-declare/

Nigerian association of theologian say tithing is wrong and not for Christian, who are you.

Olukoya says it's not compulsory, TB Joshua says almost the same but your Adeboye says it's compulsory so is something not wrong.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by spongeisback: 6:53am On Dec 04, 2017
Now they're taking the Jacob angle. Jacob made a VOW" if you God do this then I will" key word "if" that "if" signified unbelieve. His vow was a deal he was making with God. He had more faith in a foolish bargain than he did in God's word.
There's nowhere from genesis to revelation that it's written that Jacob redeem his vow.
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by spongeisback: 6:55am On Dec 04, 2017
1)There is no scriptural record of any commandment, instruction, or suggestion by God related to a tithe prior to the Law of Moses.

2)During the entire period of time before the Law there are only two biblical references to a tithe and in neither case is there any indication that the people were instructed by God to do what they did.

3)The tithe that Abraham gave to Melchizedek was not explained or given much attention.

4)The tithe proposed by Jacob was an example of doubt and unbelief. We have no details about how he planned to pay it and no record that he ever did.

5)God did not require certain amounts for sacrifices and offerings because that would destroy the nature of the offering and would ruin what God was looking for in his relationship with man.

6)In regard to the question of whether Christians should tithe today, it doesn't matter what Abraham or Jacob did before the Law. We have a relationship to God through Jesus Christ that is completely different than Abraham's relationship to Melchizedek. It is far higher and better than anything that Abraham or Jacob could have imagined. There is no reason or advantage to us or the kingdom of God to go back and pick up an obsolete spiritual paradigm.

http://tekoapublishing.com/books/tithing/chapter3.html
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by Ken4Christ: 7:19pm On Dec 04, 2017
feelgoodInc:
http://www.thepointng.com/christians-are-not-to-pay-tithe-theologians-declare/

Nigerian association of theologian say tithing is wrong and not for Christian, who are you.

Olukoya says it's not compulsory, TB Joshua says almost the same but your Adeboye says it's compulsory so is something not wrong.

Stop quoting men of God who are not God. Address each point I mentioned. You cannot be a member of TB Joshua's church if you are not a tither. TB Joshua is a hypocrite. As for Olukoya, I don't see hin as a man of God. A man of God who specializes in training murderers in the guise of dangerous prayers. A man of God who ignores the teachings of our Lord Jesus and upholds the Law of Moses which has been abolished.

Yes, you dont know me yet but you will know me soon.
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by James4489(m): 8:32pm On Dec 04, 2017
Ken4Christ:

Stop quoting men of God who are not God. Address each point I mentioned. You cannot be a member of TB Joshua's church if you are not a tither. TB Joshua is a hypocrite. As for Olukoya, I don't see hin as a man of God. A man of God who specializes in training murderers in the guise of dangerous prayers. A man of God who ignores the teachings of our Lord Jesus and upholds the Law of Moses which has been abolished.

now that you"ve listed all the fake pastors now mention one true pastor u know if another wont give u a vivid reason why his fake......common think of your life and dont judge....
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by Ken4Christ: 3:11pm On Dec 05, 2017
James4489:

now that you"ve listed all the fake pastors now mention one true pastor u know if another wont give u a vivid reason why his fake......common think of your life and dont judge....

Apostle Paul said we should have nothing to do with unfruitful works of darkness. Rather, we should expose them - Ephesians 5:11. And that is what I did. It is God who will judge them if they don't repent.

How can a man even with the title of a Doctor cannot with years of study of the Bible know that we are living under grace and not under the Law of Moses?

You are a man of God but your doctrines are in direct contrast to the teachings of our Lord Jesus. Ironically, thousands follow blindly without scrutinizing what they learn by the word of God.
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by platinumphotos: 3:29pm On Dec 05, 2017
Ken4Christ:

Apostle Paul said we should have nothing to do with unfruitful works of darkness. Rather, we should expose them - Ephesians 5:11. And that is what I did. It is God who will judge them if they don't repent.

How can a man even with the title of a Doctor cannot with years of study of the Bible know that we are living under grace and not under the Law of Moses?

You are a man of God but your doctrines are in direct contrast to the teachings of our Lord Jesus. Ironically, thousands follow blindly without scrutinizing what they learn by the word of God.
What church do u attend sir?
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by James4489(m): 3:50pm On Dec 05, 2017
Ken4Christ:

this still dont answer my question.....u mentioned names of fake prophet why not give me one real prophet or pastor since your eyes of faith is widely open..... and also you need to listen to what TB joshua actually said before u come and begin to judge.....
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by James4489(m): 3:56pm On Dec 05, 2017
TB Joshua encouraged tithing and He urge the men of God to use it for its purpose otherwise it is a sin. He further said that congregation should help the Church to give their tithe to those that need it as it is a temptation to Church because of failure to use it for its purpose.

Watch the video it is in the youtube

this exactly how i understand him and i see nothing wrong with what he said.....and i strongly stand with him........
cant u see whats going on in the christiandom today.....
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by James4489(m): 5:05pm On Dec 05, 2017
TB Joshua encouraged tithing and He urge the men of God to use it for its purpose otherwise it is a sin. He further said that congregation should help the Church to give their tithe to those that need it as it is a temptation to Church because of failure to use it for its purpose.

this exactly how i understand him and i see nothing wrong with what he said.....and i strongly stand with him........
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by SweetJoystick(m): 6:03pm On Dec 05, 2017
Ken4Christ:

Smh na you come be man of God. You need a brain transplant

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by Ken4Christ: 5:22pm On Dec 11, 2017
SweetJoystick:

Smh na you come be man of God. You need a brain transplant

Does brain transplant open your heart to receive the truth of God's word? The things of God cannot be understood by the natural man. It takes someone who has the Spirit of God to understand the things of God. So, brain transplant has nothing to do with it. I think you need a spiritual heart surgery - You must be born again and tongue speaking to understand spiritual things.
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by Ken4Christ: 5:31pm On Dec 11, 2017
James4489:

I only quoted two notable Pastors With questionable doctrines and practices. It Is not in my position to endorse any man of God but I have the moral right to condemn doctrines and practices that are harmful to the Church. Only God knows who his true servants are.

But for those who do things and teach wrong doctrines, I will expose so as to save young converts from being led astray.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by Ken4Christ: 5:33pm On Dec 11, 2017
James4489:

Really, well beyond the subject of tithing, he has questionable doctrines and practices .

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by Ken4Christ: 5:41pm On Dec 11, 2017
spongeisback:
1)There is no scriptural record of any commandment, instruction, or suggestion by God related to a tithe prior to the Law of Moses.

2)During the entire period of time before the Law there are only two biblical references to a tithe and in neither case is there any indication that the people were instructed by God to do what they did.

3)The tithe that Abraham gave to Melchizedek was not explained or given much attention.

4)The tithe proposed by Jacob was an example of doubt and unbelief. We have no details about how he planned to pay it and no record that he ever did.

5)God did not require certain amounts for sacrifices and offerings because that would destroy the nature of the offering and would ruin what God was looking for in his relationship with man.

6)In regard to the question of whether Christians should tithe today, it doesn't matter what Abraham or Jacob did before the Law. We have a relationship to God through Jesus Christ that is completely different than Abraham's relationship to Melchizedek. It is far higher and better than anything that Abraham or Jacob could have imagined. There is no reason or advantage to us or the kingdom of God to go back and pick up an obsolete spiritual paradigm.

http://tekoapublishing.com/books/tithing/chapter3.html

Our new relationship with Jesus also demands support for ministers of the Gospel and even demands greater sacrifices than tithe which is just 10%.

So, if we can't give the way Jesus demanded, it is common sense to start with the 10%. Then over time, we can give more.

You don't cut down on your giving because we are under grace. Grace gives us divine ability to do much more.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by SweetJoystick(m): 6:56pm On Dec 11, 2017
Ken4Christ:

Does brain transplant open your heart to receive the truth of God's word? The things of God cannot be understood by the natural man. It takes someone who has the Spirit of God to understand the things of God. So, brain transplant has nothing to do with it. I think you need a spiritual heart surgery - You must be born again and tongue speaking to understand spiritual things.
Smh
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by Goshen360(m): 8:02pm On Dec 11, 2017
Ken4Christ:

So u believe the law of Moses has been abolished? Interestingly, you hold onto only the tithe right?

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by ichuka(m): 8:53pm On Dec 11, 2017
Goshen360:

So u believe the law of Moses has been abolished? Interestingly, you hold onto only the tithe right?
Don't mind them.most don't even know the meaning of a LAW,not to talk about one given by God.all Gods requirements to bless His people are instituted in the Law by Moses.in the Old if an Israelis desire to be bless by God he/she must uphold Gods Law(in the Old everything was drafted in the Law)
But now,God has a new Law which is Grace.
Why can't our brothers wholly accept His new Law and forget the Old?

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by Ken4Christ: 10:36pm On Dec 11, 2017
ichuka:

Don't mind them.most don't even know the meaning of a LAW,not to talk about one given by God.all Gods requirements to bless His people are instituted in the Law by Moses.in the Old if an Israelis desire to be bless by God he/she must uphold Gods Law(in the Old everything was drafted in the Law)

And the New Law of grace says you should sell whatever you have and give to the poor - Luke 12:33. Have you ever done that. The early Church did it. A New Law that demands you liquidate your assets to help the poor will certainly not frown at 10% support for the ministers who brings message of life to you. Please, have a common sense. God's grace at work in you should cause you to give more and not less.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by ichuka(m): 11:47pm On Dec 11, 2017
Ken4Christ:

And the New Law of grace says you should sell whatever you have and give to the poor - Luke 12:33. Have you ever done that. The early Church did it. A New Law that demands you liquidate your assets to help the poor will certainly not frown at 10% support for the ministers who brings message of life to you. Please, have a common sense. God's grace at work in you should cause you to give more and not less.
Dude you can't stand in between.its either you are trying to uphold the Law of Moses or you in brace Grace fully.
It's not a matter of paying/giving 10-100%,but of been lead by the Spirit.
Eg,you earn 100k a month,as a true Christain the Spirit will direct you on how you give/distribute the money.because the whole 100k belongs to God and not you.
Whosoever He directs you to give 5,10,20,50. or 100% you should do that as a true Christain
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by Goshen360(m): 12:07am On Dec 12, 2017
ichuka:

I wonder o....mixture of both old n new is just as dangerous as upholding some part of the old only when it's convenient. This is the biggest problem in today's churches.
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by plainbibletruth: 8:27am On Dec 12, 2017
Majority of Christians today would rather go by a "fresh revelation" of his 'Mog' than accept a clearly stated scripture on any issue.

Today's Christian has been so fed with chaff that he has come to love it more than the milk and meat of the word of God.

Challenge him to be like the Bereans and his response will be something like: "No need. My 'mog' has already done that".

Many of them live with the impression that Christianity just started in this generation. Point them to the history and life of the early church and they are at sea. They can't understand why they should learn from their pioneers or even accept that those ones knew what they were doing.

When the Church unashamedly goes against even the clear teachings of Jesus Christ and will justify it by such words like "But it's in the Bible", then, for those who are discerning, it is clear that we are indeed in dire straits.

Where Jesus says "Love your enemies" they will say "Kill your enemies. Does it make common sense to allow your enemies to live?"

When we tell them we are under a NEW LAW - The Law of the Spirit of Life - they respond with "Did God not also give the laws we choose to follow?", "Leave us to choose what we want to follow".

When ANY GENERATION of believers, Christians inclusive, abandon GOD'S PRESCRIBED PROTOCOL for their spiritual life and resort to "philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men" or even "doctrines of demons", God's discipline comes in. That is an "eternal principle" of God. (See 2 Chronicles 36: 15-17)
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by PaChukwudi44(m): 9:04am On Dec 12, 2017
Ken4Christ:

the boldened is not true.It is not compulsory for anyone to do that.Giving under grace is covered in 2 Cor 9:7
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by Dereformer(m): 9:35am On Dec 12, 2017
Ken4Christ:

Our new relationship with Jesus also demands support for ministers of the Gospel and even demands greater sacrifices than tithe which is just 10%.

So, if we can't give the way Jesus demanded, it is common sense to start with the 10%. Then over time, we can give more.

You don't cut down on your giving because we are under grace. Grace gives us divine ability to do much more.

How would a salary earner compute his tithe.
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by PaChukwudi44(m): 9:37am On Dec 12, 2017
Dereformer:

How would a salary earner compute his tithe Biblically

Fixed
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by ichuka(m): 10:31am On Dec 12, 2017
Goshen360:

I wonder o....mixture of both old n new is just as dangerous as upholding some part of the old only when it's convenient. This is the biggest problem in today's churches.
Matt9:17
New American Standard Bible
"Nor do people put new wine into old wineskins; otherwise the wineskins burst, and the wine pours out and the wineskins are ruined; but they put new wine into fresh wineskins, and both are preserved."
Old and new can't mix one has to go.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by Ken4Christ: 9:08pm On Dec 17, 2017
Dereformer:

How would a salary earner compute his tithe.

Your tithe is simply 10% of whatever you earn.
Re: 10 Reasons You Should Pay Your Tithe. by Ken4Christ: 9:12pm On Dec 17, 2017
PaChukwudi44:

the boldened is not true.It is not compulsory for anyone to do that.Giving under grace is covered in 2 Cor 9:7

But the early Church did it at least on two recorded occasions - Acts 2:44-45& Acts 4:34-35.

We are all just not living up to the level of that grace otherwise this Is Jesus standard. It is far higher than tithe that most people are struggling to give.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Two days left. Are christians praying and are atheists being visited? / 10hrs Of Praying In Tongues / If God Knew That Adam And Eve Would Sin, Why Did He Create Them?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.