Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,041 members, 7,953,142 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:21 AM

Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed (39391 Views)

See What Paul Adefarasin Said About The Lord's Prayer & Reactions / Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married / Pope Francis Kisses And Blesses Nigerian Boy Who Went Missing In Rome. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by olylove: 8:24pm On Dec 10, 2017
authehighness:
Know different btw trial and temptation,what pope says is correct,read james 1v12-14,God cannot lead us into temptation,psalm 23 say HE lead us to spring water and green pastures,not temptation,pope says,the phrase,should be,do not allows us fall into temptation,not the later,and igbo translation,is exactly what the pope said
That's what am saying. The value for gold can never be known unless it passes through fire.. Weather trial or temptation we Christians must pass through it... That will determine whether our foundation is on a rocky base or a Sandy base... Urs might be a trial mine might be temptation we all have to go through that phase... The Pope is a significant icon in Christianity in this dispensation no one is doubting that... He's the Pope but what ever he says I have to evaluate it with what the Bible says
Drops mic again
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 8:29pm On Dec 10, 2017
The bible supports slavery,In the days of the bible people owned slaves. It is frowned upon because the world now practices democracy and in a democracy everyone has human rights,so slavery is now a crime against humanity.And besides what is happening in Libya has nothing to do with the Vatican. The perpetrators of this slave trade should be brought to book and this human traffickers should be arrested.
Bidobado:

Seeing that your bible supports slavery, would you like to be a slave??
I remember it saying "Slaves, obey your master". In obedience to the Bible, shouldn't the slaves in Libya accept their fate and obey the Libyans in all things??.
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by ehbellsho(m): 8:44pm On Dec 10, 2017
mhizsuzzy:

The fact we don't get is that English was never the original form of the word. Translation really differs as you may translate a sentence not really corresponding to what the speaker means

I get wat you/d Pope is trying to say.
But d verse i quoted was also translated.

Why not let's let sleeping dogs lie
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by AndyGlobal: 8:48pm On Dec 10, 2017
Malcolm101:
You Mean The Way His Church Wants To Include Gay & Lez In The Bible?

make hin go sitedown.
Which is his church?Be careful of what you say
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by YelloweWest: 8:50pm On Dec 10, 2017
Malcolm101:

make hin go sitedown.
Learn to read
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 8:50pm On Dec 10, 2017
Bidobado:

There's no difference between Muslims and Catholics.. They venerate humans more than they respect God. Muslims are usually quick to harm others once the truth about Muhammad is spoken out. Catholics on the other hand keep begging Mary to pray for them, as if their mouths are tired.
Both of these figures are just mere beings, enough of the idolatry already.
Catholics do not worship Mary we actually honour her I am sure you have heard the song we are honouring Mary, In catholic theology Mary is regarded as the Queen of heaven hence the respect. Critics of the catholic church actually criticize the worship and also that of purgatory.It is a free world so everyone is entitled to their belief you can Liken the worship of pastors,evangelists to that of Mary in the catholic church,And about Muslims I love the zakat(the fourth pillar of Islam)which talks about almsgiving to the poor,I have relatives who practice Islam and during sallah a lot of people Muslims,Christians and other religions all come together to eat.It is really wonderful not all Muslims are bad.The individual makes the religion not the religion that makes the individual. Get to know some of them they are fun to be with.And please study about Islam and the catholic church,it is not everything you believe the choice is your's. Google is your friend.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Nobody: 8:52pm On Dec 10, 2017
Ladyhippolyta88:
Catholics do not worship Mary we actually honour her I am sure you have heard the song we are honouring Mary, In catholic theology Mary is regarded as the Queen of heaven hence the respect. Critics of the catholic church actually criticize the worship and also that of purgatory.It is a free world so everyone is entitled to their belief you can Liken the worship of pastors,evangelists to that of Mary in the catholic church,And about Muslims I love the zakat(the fourth pillar of Islam)which talks about almsgiving to the poor,I have relatives who practice Islam and during sallah a lot of people Muslims,Christians and other religions all come together to eat.It is really wonderful not all Muslims are bad.The individual makes the religion not the religion that makes the individual. Get to know some of them they are fun to be with.And please study about Islam and the catholic church,it is not everything you believe the choice is your's. Google is your friend.

Exodus 20:4, let it marinate in your heart and your head.
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by OfficialAwol(m): 8:56pm On Dec 10, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

The Antichrist will come from the Catholic church.
How will anyone want to rewrite or give value to the words of Jesus Christ?

The pope can brainwash his Catholics,
But he should not try it with me if not I'd use a bible to smash his head.

Who translated the Bible?
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Ubenedictus(m): 8:57pm On Dec 10, 2017
Bidobado:

off topic. it seems your aim is just to bash Catholics, you'll prefer to bash Catholics rather than to address the solid point the Pope made.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by saintmark88(m): 8:59pm On Dec 10, 2017
musicwriter:

Do you need a rockect scientist to tell you I' am talking about emperor Contastine?

Oga keep kwayet and hide ur head in shame, if u didn't know Constantine was not a pope, but the first roman emperor to accept Jesus Christ. He ended the era of christian persecution in Rome, which later spread to other parts of Europe.

This should set u thinking instead of spreading false news u will answer to wen u die, ignorance is not an excuse. Go and seek for knowledge on this time, read for urself with am open mind to know and u will be more enlightened. Reading that nonsense u wrote up der, shows me ur lvl of enlightenment
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by NaijaNonny: 9:10pm On Dec 10, 2017
Malcolm101:

make hin go sitedown.
you are fantastically foolish,people like you should be in libya
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Dvampire(m): 9:22pm On Dec 10, 2017
CAPSLOCKED:

ERRORS IN THE WORD OF THE SUPPOSED ALMIGHTY GOD?

THE FACT THAT THE BIBLE WAS WRITTEN IN HEBREW AND GREEK CLEARLY SHOWS THAT IT WASN'T MEANT FOR THE FULANI OR IGBO MEN.

BUT HERE WE ARE... FIGHTING EACH OTHER AND SCREAMING THE NAMES OF THE FOREIGNER'S GOD.

I PITY ALL OF YOU.

AMADIOHA AND HIS THUNDER IS WAITING TO ROAST EACH ONE OF YOU WITH STROKES OF LIGHTNING FOR ETERNITY.

My brother, if you cannot contribute intelligently to the discussion I suggest you kiss a millipede. Coming on here ranting like you forgot your medication. Anu ofia!
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Sikariyelwa: 9:27pm On Dec 10, 2017
POPE SUGGESTING CORRECTION IN THE BIBLE? HOW CAN MAN CORRECT WORDS OF GOD? THEN BIBLE IS NOT REALLY WORDS OF GOD.. JESUS DID NOT TEACH CHRISTIANITY. IT IS MARK LUKE JOHN PAUL ETC. BIBLE IS THEN NOT HOLY BOOK AS CHRISTENDOM CLAIMED.. WE HAVE MORE THAN 7 DIFFERENT BIBLE IN THE WORLD. WHICH ONE FROM GOD.. NO WANDER MUSIC AND DANCE TAKE THE CENTER STAGE IN CHURCHES WITH NO MODE OF WORSHIP.. AS AT NOW WE HAVE MORE THAN 50000 ERRORS IN THE BIBLE
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by seyila2(m): 10:08pm On Dec 10, 2017
mediahubng:
Pope of the Catholic Church, Pope Francis has proposed to change the Lord’s Prayer that’s bedeviled him for years.
While speaking to an Italian TV network Friday, the pontiff said that he opposes the phrase “lead us not into temptation” in the current translation of Our Father.

In his words;

“That is not a good translation,” Francis said in Italian.

“It is not He that pushes me into temptation and then sees how I fall,”

“A father does not do this. A father quickly helps those who are provoked into Satan’s temptation.”

The Lord’s Prayer is a popular sacred prayer known in Christianity and is memorised by hundreds of millions of Catholics and Pentecostals alike.

The interpretation of the ancient text has been debated for centuries and some theologians has argued that the original phrasing was lost in translation as it morphed from different languages.

According to study, Our Father is a translation from the Latin Vulgate, a 4th-Century Latin translation of the Bible, which itself was translated from ancient Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic.

What do you think about the Pope’s opinion? Share your thoughts at the comment section.
http://verge24.com/2017/12/10/pope-francis-wants-to-change-the-lords-prayer/
hummm,
it is very clear now that Christianity is a man made religion
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:14pm On Dec 10, 2017
Bidobado:

what is the difference between the rosary and the pastors and wives images most Pentecostal members wear on their neck.Do not judge.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:17pm On Dec 10, 2017
A lot of them are confused.
Sikariyelwa:
POPE SUGGESTING CORRECTION IN THE BIBLE? HOW CAN MAN CORRECT WORDS OF GOD? THEN BIBLE IS NOT REALLY WORDS OF GOD.. JESUS DID NOT TEACH CHRISTIANITY. IT IS MARK LUKE JOHN PAUL ETC. BIBLE IS THEN NOT HOLY BOOK AS CHRISTENDOM CLAIMED.. WE HAVE MORE THAN 7 DIFFERENT BIBLE IN THE WORLD. WHICH ONE FROM GOD.. NO WANDER MUSIC AND DANCE TAKE THE CENTER STAGE IN CHURCHES WITH NO MODE OF WORSHIP.. AS AT NOW WE HAVE MORE THAN 50000 ERRORS IN THE BIBLE
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:22pm On Dec 10, 2017
saintmark88:

Oga keep kwayet and hide ur head in shame, if u didn't know Constantine was not a pope, but the first roman emperor to accept Jesus Christ. He ended the era of christian persecution in Rome, which later spread to other parts of Europe.

This should set u thinking instead of spreading false news u will answer to wen u die, ignorance is not an excuse. Go and seek for knowledge on this time, read for urself with am open mind to know and u will be more enlightened. Reading that nonsense u wrote up der, shows me ur lvl of enlightenment
Constantine was not a true Christian he was still a pagan have you read about sol invictus how he changed the Christian day of worship to Sunday and the Christmas decision in honour of the sun God.abeg go and read about constantine he was never a true Christian he killed his wife and son.And actually brought up the council of nicea to decide what and what should be in the bible.Read about arianism or the arian heresy in relation to the council of nicea.
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by joey150(m): 10:48pm On Dec 10, 2017
klap4gbens:
"For I Testify Unto Every Man That Heareth The Words Of The Prophecy Of This Book, If Any Man (pope Inclusive) Shall Add Unto These Things, God Shall Add Unto Him The Plagues That Are Written In This Book; And If Any Man Shall Take Away From The Words Of The Book Of This Prophecy, God Shall Take Away His Part Out Of The Book Of Life, And Out Of The Holy City, And From The Things Which Are Written In This Book" Revelation 22:18,19.

some of you amaze me!!

that phrase was refereeing to the book Revelation and not the bible.

because then the bible didn't even exist.

common sense.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Nobody: 11:30pm On Dec 10, 2017
mediahubng:
Pope of the Catholic Church, Pope Francis has proposed to change the Lord’s Prayer that’s bedeviled him for years.
While speaking to an Italian TV network Friday, the pontiff said that he opposes the phrase “lead us not into temptation” in the current translation of Our Father.

In his words;

“A father does not do this. A father quickly helps those who are provoked into Satan’s temptation.”

The Lord’s Prayer is a popular sacred prayer known in Christianity and is memorised by hundreds of millions of Catholics and Pentecostals alike.

The interpretation of the ancient text has been debated for centuries and some theologians has argued that the original phrasing was lost in translation as it morphed from different languages.

According to study, Our Father is a translation from the Latin Vulgate, a 4th-Century Latin translation of the Bible, which itself was translated from ancient Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic.

What do you think about the Pope’s opinion? Share your thoughts at the comment section.
This Man you must be on drug. why didn't you tell us the word he added or changed? you purposefully erase those words so blind people can make blind argument, right?
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Nobody: 11:32pm On Dec 10, 2017
mediahubng:

In his words;

� *BF2*: *Pope Francis wants Lord's Prayer changed*

Pope Francis has called for a translation of a phrase about temptation in the Lord's Prayer to be changed. The current wording that says "lead us not into temptation" is not a good translation, because God does not lead humans to sin, he says. He suggests using "do not let us fall into temptation" instead, he told Italian TV on Wednesday night.

The Lord's Prayer is the best-known prayer in Christianity. The pontiff said France's Roman Catholic Church was now using the new wording "do not let us fall into temptation" as an alternative, and something similar should be used worldwide. "Do not let me fall into temptation because it is I who fall, it is not God who throws me into temptation and then sees how I fell," he told TV2000, an Italian Catholic TV channel.

"A father does not do that, a father helps you to get up immediately." Since the beginning of his papacy, Pope Francis has not shied away from controversy and has tackled some issues head-on, Vatican observers say.

To read full article - http://v.duta.us/sHRsmgAA

*To follow World News on Duta:*
*Add to your group: +17606728068*

Type �BF2 to like this
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Nobody: 11:34pm On Dec 10, 2017
desreek9:
I've always wondered what they mean when they say "and lead us not into temptation" even Jesus Christ was tempted three times.

op abeg remove that "catholics and pentecostals", pentecostals dnt recite that undecided

Pope Francis has called for a translation of a phrase about temptation in the Lord's Prayer to be changed. The current wording that says "lead us not into temptation" is not a good translation, because God does not lead humans to sin, he says. He suggests using "do not let us fall into temptation" instead, he told Italian TV on Wednesday night.

The Lord's Prayer is the best-known prayer in Christianity. The pontiff said France's Roman Catholic Church was now using the new wording "do not let us fall into temptation" as an alternative, and something similar should be used worldwide. "Do not let me fall into temptation because it is I who fall, it is not God who throws me into temptation and then sees how I fell," he told TV2000, an Italian Catholic TV channel.

"A father does not do that, a father helps you to get up immediately." Since the beginning of his papacy, Pope Francis has not shied away from controversy and has tackled some issues head-on, Vatican observers say.

Type �BF2 to like this
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Nobody: 11:35pm On Dec 10, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

The Antichrist will come from the Catholic church.
How will anyone want to rewrite or give value to the words of Jesus Christ?

The pope can brainwash his Catholics,
But he should not try it with me if not I'd use a bible to smash his head.

Below is the full article.

Type �BF2 to like this
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Nobody: 11:36pm On Dec 10, 2017
musicwriter:
Rome has always doctored the bible throughout history in order to favour their currect opinion at all time. Not just the Lord's prayer, there're so many verses they now realized needs be removed. I opened a thread for it here https://www.nairaland.com/4143509/catholic-church-no-longer-swear

What you have inside the bible today is totally a whitewashed bible that has little to do with the original ancients texts. The original version written by Africans were in Amharic text (Ethiopian) from where it was copied to Hebrew, and from Hebrew to Coptic, from Coptic to Greek. From Greek to rest of European language.

There's a good chance the essense of the message in the bible has been lost long time ago.
You are wrong in some of your points. The Bible was only translated to Amharic in early 19th century AD. Before this, the Ethiopian Bible was only in Geez language. Geez is an Ethiopian language. Geez is Ethiopian and Eritrea Orthodox Churche language just like Latin is for Catholic Churches.

The Bible was translated from Greek to Geez language using Geez (Ethiopic) alphabet in 5th century AD. Even if the Ethiopian Bible is said to be the most complete compared to others, the original Bible wasn't written in Ethiopian language.
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by saintmark88(m): 11:43pm On Dec 10, 2017
Ladyhippolyta88:
Constantine was not a true Christian he was still a pagan have you read about sol invictus how he changed the Christian day of worship to Sunday and the Christmas decision in honour of the sun God.abeg go and read about constantine he was never a true Christian he killed his wife and son.And actually brought up the council of nicea to decide what and what should be in the bible.Read about arianism or the arian heresy in relation to the council of nicea.

I am not to judge who is a true Christian or not, he made Christianity a state religion in rome n europe at large.so he paid his dues n played a part n d Christianity u freely practice today
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by musicwriter(m): 12:07am On Dec 11, 2017
Hati13:

You are wrong in some of your points. The Bible was only translated to Amharic in early 19th century AD. Before this, the Ethiopian Bible was only in Geez language. Geez is an Ethiopian language. Geez is Ethiopian and Eritrea Orthodox Churche language just like Latin is for Catholic Churches.

The Bible was translated from Greek to Geez language using Geez (Ethiopic) alphabet in 5th century AD. Even if the Ethiopian Bible is said to be the most complete compared to others, the original Bible wasn't written in Ethiopian language.

I was talking about the first documents from where the old testament itself was copied.

There was no Greek 4,000 years ago when the scriptures were writtem in Papyrus!!. By this time the old testament was already written. I didn't say translated.

All the ancient scriptures were written with Papyrus which grows along the river Nile.

Don't allow Europeans fool you. They're claiming a history that's older than their civilization!!.
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Gkemz: 12:46am On Dec 11, 2017
So Jesus Christ who commissioned his disciples to pray with that pattern is wrong.
What a heresy.
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by globalfanz(m): 4:08am On Dec 11, 2017
Malcolm101:

make hin go sitedown.

Life and death is in the power of the tongue and those who love it will it the fruit thereof.
BE CAREFUL
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by veraiyke(m): 6:37am On Dec 11, 2017
That's nice. The God' s Kingdom Society has been preaching this for decades. God can't lead you into temptation. It is Satan that does that. As christians we must experience temptations as long as the devil lives. Our prayer therefore should be that God should not leave or forsake us in such times. That His love always abound in us.
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by gloryman91: 6:59am On Dec 11, 2017
ALLAHU AKBAR, ISLAM THE TRUTH RELIGION NOTHING CHANGED IN THE QURAN FOR OVER 1400 YEARS BACK.
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by IkUKU01(m): 7:03am On Dec 11, 2017
Malcolm101:

make hin go sitedown.
you Be Mumu
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Partreek911: 7:13am On Dec 11, 2017
Malcolm101:
Excuss You! Don't They've Many Bishops Who Are Gay? Or Haven't You Read Of Many Catholic Prists Who Has Sexually Abused Young Boys? Read Man.

Before Looking 4 What To Correct In The Bible, He Should Start With D One In His Church.
please give us a name. just one name because 'many' is not specific enough for u to open mouth and slander an institution such as d Catholic Church
Re: Pope Francis Wants The ‘lord’s Prayer’ Changed by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 7:19am On Dec 11, 2017
saintmark88:

I am not to judge who is a true Christian or not, he made Christianity a state religion in rome n europe at large.so he paid his dues n played a part n d Christianity u freely practice today
very true no one is to judge.According to some scholars constantine actually became a Christian on his deathbed and a lot of scholars also believed his reason for hosting the council of nicea was actually to stop the confusing doctrines a lot of bishops had then and merge a lot of practices with some pagan beliefs to create a state religion. I was wrong to have said he wasn't a true Christian i just went with the idea of some scholars, nor vex.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Muslims Have A Right To Islamise Nigeria - Emmanuel Adetoyese Badejo / Chris Okotie: Social Distancing In Church Is Like Blasphemous Infidelity / Two Cats 'Mysteriously Disappear' In Front Of Traders' Shop (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.