Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,290 members, 7,815,502 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (137) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (915533 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by joystick007: 4:57pm On Feb 25, 2018
Thank you much.

You've been very kind.

goodemma20:

Congrats on your admission. Being offered an assistantship and scholarship truly gives you an edge as it gives the VO an idea that you're a genuine student especially when you also took standardized tests, however, don't completely rely on it as visa approval is a holistic process. On your second question, I'll like to give you a personal opinion. Don't throw away your admission because you're waiting for Maryland. Just make sure you have the $500 ready and wait for the third week of March and if you haven't heard anything from Maryland, go ahead and accept the admission. Yeshiva university is quite a good school....hope this helps.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by joystick007: 5:02pm On Feb 25, 2018
Please Twoods, Lagosismyhome, femi321, kindly give your thoughts too.

Please.

joystick007:
Good morning everyone,

I just got accepted for a masters program in Yeshiva University, New York. I was also offered a paid graduate assistantship and a $5k scholarship (which is small though).

However, I wasn't asked to pay application fee during the whole admission process, although the fee is $50, I was told my application can be attended to and I'll pay later. Okay, so I got admitted now and the school is saying I'll pay a down payment of $500 before March ending to confirm my admission.

I have no problem with that.

Here's my concern now...... Please, does been offered a paid graduate assistantship and a $5k scholarship gives my visa application an edge with the VO, no matter how little it is?

I'm also currently waiting on the admission decision of Maryland University (my first choice but very competitive). I really don't know how long it'll take. Should i really wait on them first or should I pay the $500 down payment for yeshiva?

Please, forgive my long post and questions. I'd appreciate responses to them.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 5:49pm On Feb 25, 2018
joystick007:
Please Twoods, Lagosismyhome, femi321, kindly give your thoughts too.

Please.

No one can tell you what gives an edge at a visa interview or not. You just have to try. Yes the graduate assistantship and scholarship helps bolster your credibility as a genuine student so that should help your confidence. The only thing I was not sure of was the $500 downpayment. I thought your tuition was fully covered with the GA and scholarship?

I’d say wait a few weeks, contact Maryland U and ask them if you should still expect a response and when. Let them know you already have an offer but looking to see if they also will offer you admission. If by March end you hear nothing, move on with yeshiva.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Naughtyvirgin(m): 5:49pm On Feb 25, 2018
Hello sanctus1, noticed ur visa was delayed on dec 14th. You studied Biochemistry and also was going for another B.sc in Med.lab ..please what was the Chinese American opinion about your application and your switch of majors??

Sanctus1:

how old are you?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by folmus: 5:59pm On Feb 25, 2018
Naughtyvirgin:

Hello sanctus1, noticed ur visa was delayed on dec 14th. You studied Biochemistry and also was going for another B.sc in Med.lab ..please what was the Chinese American opinion about your application and your switch of majors??

Bross, why are you worrying yourself like this. You should be able to defend yourself with a change of course and going back for another degree. Am sure the VO will listen to you. The next question will then be how convincing are you with your intention. We have seen people here that did it and got visa and vice versa. Am just imagining your confidence level with your myriad of questions. You will get worried more before you go for the interview and that can be a bad omen on your intention.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Sanctus1(m): 6:08pm On Feb 25, 2018
folmus:

Bross, why are you worrying yourself like this. You should be able to defend yourself with a change of course and going back for another degree. Am sure the VO will listen to you. The next question will then be how convincing are you with your intention. We have seen people here that did it and got visa and vice versa. Am just imagining your confidence level with your myriad of questions. You will get worried more before you go for the interview and that can be a bad omen on your intention.

probably didn't sound convincing... but am going back by may..i pray it works this time...just do your best and leave the rest to God...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nwabu007(m): 6:09pm On Feb 25, 2018
@Joystick, Congratulations on your admission to Yeshiva University. My opinion is that you can accept the offer but defer payment of acceptance fee until you hear about the decision from Maryland.Secondly, the school offered you Graduate Assistantship which will help cover your stipends (living costs) while the $5,000 could be towards the tuition, if I'm right. So you still have to show financial capability to pay for tuition for a year. It's a good deal nonetheless. With regards to Visa, no one can predict the outcome of visa interview but from the few transcripts I have seen here, GTA shows some level of being a genuine student. Did you take standardized test? If yes, then you are in a good direction. Best Wishes.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Naughtyvirgin(m): 6:55pm On Feb 25, 2018
Don't mind me boss....just wanted to weigh my options well...thanks for the boost in confidence level...i feel now I'm good to go...i believe I'll also post a success transcript on here soon

folmus:

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Naughtyvirgin(m): 6:57pm On Feb 25, 2018
I wish you best of luck bro...

Sanctus1:

probably didn't sound convincing... but am going back by may..i pray it works this time...just do your best and leave the rest to God...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by joystick007: 7:00pm On Feb 25, 2018
Thanks Twoods.

The scholarship is just $5k. But I can obviously cover the rest. While the GA would help me to cover part of my living expenses.

I'll do as advised.

You've been very kind. I appreciate.

TWoods:

No one can tell you what gives an edge at a visa interview or not. You just have to try. Yes the graduate assistantship and scholarship helps bolster your credibility as a genuine student so that should help your confidence. The only thing I was not sure of was the $500 downpayment. I thought your tuition was fully covered with the GA and scholarship?

I’d say wait a few weeks, contact Maryland U and ask them if you should still expect a response and when. Let them know you already have an offer but looking to see if they also will offer you admission. If by March end you hear nothing, move on with yeshiva.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by joystick007: 7:03pm On Feb 25, 2018
Thanks for the response boss.

I didn't take any test though. The program is Enterprise Risk Management, which is my field and I'm very experienced. I was however interviewed, twice, and I did some online test too before the admission decisions were taken.

Ill take the advisement brother. I'm very grateful.

Thanks.

Nwabu007:
@Joystick, Congratulations on your admission to Yeshiva University. My opinion is that you can accept the offer but defer payment of acceptance fee until you hear about the decision from Maryland.Secondly, the school offered you Graduate Assistantship which will help cover your stipends (living costs) while the $5,000 could be towards the tuition, if I'm right. So you still have to show financial capability to pay for tuition for a year. It's a good deal nonetheless. With regards to Visa, no one can predict the outcome of visa interview but from the few transcripts I have seen here, GTA shows some level of being a genuine student. Did you take standardized test? If yes, then you are in a good direction. Best Wishes.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Sanctus1(m): 7:11pm On Feb 25, 2018
Naughtyvirgin:
I wish you best of luck bro...

thanks man...pls PM me, we can hook up since you are in lagos
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Naughtyvirgin(m): 7:31pm On Feb 25, 2018
I just did

Sanctus1:

thanks man...pls PM me, we can hook up since you are in lagos
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by kinibd(m): 8:46pm On Feb 25, 2018
Hello house, I am new around here and would probably get lost trying to search through the pages for an answer to my question so i'll just ask and hope someone will be kind enough to help/advise me.
I graduated from the department of ict with the networking option and i want to go for a masters but in a dilemma whether to go for networking still or just go into software( i feel the ict world is shifting more towards software...its a feeling lol) or any other better option. also i would like a recommendation from anyone of a good ict/computer science school in the usa. Also whats the first step i need to take and if i start processing now, can i go by september this year or i will need to wait till next year? So many other questions but i hope this little can be answered by someone. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by femi312: 9:54pm On Feb 25, 2018
kinibd:
Hello house, I am new around here and would probably get lost trying to search through the pages for an answer to my question so i'll just ask and hope someone will be kind enough to help/advise me.
I graduated from the department of ict with the networking option and i want to go for a masters but in a dilemma whether to go for networking still or just go into software( i feel the ict world is shifting more towards software...its a feeling lol) or any other better option. also i would like a recommendation from anyone of a good ict/computer science school in the usa. Also whats the first step i need to take and if i start processing now, can i go by september this year or i will need to wait till next year? So many other questions but i hope this little can be answered by someone. Thanks
1) Only you know what your interests are and what you really want to do, so it wise you think deep. In my opinion anything computer science or IT is very good in the US 2) No one can recommend schools for you, you need to put in some work yourself by researching for schools and you can come here to ask for opinions about the school if anyone has any first hand info or no. However, most ranked schools in computer science are good. Here is a link to school rankings https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwKmQy59LeEpUW5tbEZhRHJmR1U check each school website to see which of them you would like to attend based on your criteria. 3) You cant meet up with Fall 2018 anymore, Plan towards Spring 2019 (Jan) or Fall 2019 (August). For your own good, read this thread from the beginning, its just about 136 pages.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by 30watts: 9:58pm On Feb 25, 2018
TTruth is the decision on what to go for is personal. I am not sure I have heard of any masters such as Msc Networking or Msc Software. The masters program will be in either computer science or information technology with a specific concentration. With regards to recommendation for a good ict or computer science school, someone can come here and simply respond Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology or Georgia Institute of Technology but there are several factors that go into determining which one suits you (Cost, Location, Admission chances, cost of living etc.)

Truth is you have to do your homework, the questions you have asked are open ended and you can get several answers which may make you more confused.

Imagine I gave you the below response:

Database management is the best option, its very lucrative in Alaska. A good school in my opinion is Alaba International Computer Center, Oregun, USA. Does this help ? I guess No because your questions can be interpreted in different ways and thus will have several answers.

You need to invest time to search for what you want. Why not start your search by typing " Lucrative ICT careers in the USA and Job prospects for 2020". Then, top schools in region *** that offer course ***.

The applications for August 2018 can still be submitted(Semester begins in August *you need to research, bro you really need to).

kinibd:
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 12:29am On Feb 26, 2018
kinibd:

That's a lazy cop-out. There is a search feature here that can help narrow down a search if you're truly interested.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by amanze15(m): 3:23am On Feb 26, 2018
Students on CPT, OPT, STEM OPT are exempt from FICA Taxes (Social Security and Medicare Taxes). Some employers would deduct those taxes from your paycheck. But, you can get a refund of FICA taxes from the IRS... Students on F1 Visa who are working on OPT are Exempt from FICA Tax for a certain period. If your salary is $50,000 per year, then $3,825 is paid as FICA tax annually as an Employee.
As per IRS, you don’t have to pay FICA Taxes (Social Security and Medicare) for F1 Visa student until 5 years in USA.
The employer’s payroll processing team should be aware of this
If not, no worries, you can educate them and ask them not to deduct FICA taxes from your paycheck.
Worst Case: If they continue to deduct the FICA taxes, you can claim it back while filing your taxes in April (or later).

just something I learned today, notify your employer if they don't stop withholding it, file to get it back

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by pvaila(f): 6:00am On Feb 26, 2018

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Wikreatemedia: 10:59am On Feb 26, 2018
please help your boy...i need school without toelf or sat i have a degree in mechanical but want to study nursing please
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by folmus: 11:47am On Feb 26, 2018
Wikreatemedia:
please help your boy...i need school without toelf or sat i have a degree in mechanical but want to study nursing please

we are coming.... Just wait. wink wink

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Yommy247(m): 11:51am On Feb 26, 2018
Good day everybody. I want to apply for masters in agriculture can anybody help me out with the schools to choose... tho I've made my own research online but wuld appreciate if anyone can help out with informations
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by sunshineluv5: 11:52am On Feb 26, 2018
Wikreatemedia:
hahahahahahahahaha this guy dey deliberately find trouble lolzz
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Cynthia063: 11:59am On Feb 26, 2018
Pahpahjay:
Good evening fam.....Please is it possible for me to get admission to any USA university without writing TOEFL or Sat ...Please immediate answers ...Thanks ....God bless all !!!

Yes for sure!!....i didn't take any
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by GraceofGodfollo: 12:01pm On Feb 26, 2018
cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Cynthia063: 12:14pm On Feb 26, 2018
[quote author=goodemma20 post=65360041]
Congrats on your admission. Being offered an assistantship and scholarship truly gives you an edge as it gives the VO an idea that you're a genuine student especially when you also took standardized tests, however, don't completely rely on it as visa approval is a holistic process. On your second question, I'll like to give you a personal opinion. Don't throw away your admission because you're waiting for Maryland. Just make sure you have the $500 ready and wait for the third week of March and if you haven't heard anything from Maryland, go ahead and accept the admission. Yeshiva university is quite a good school....hope this helps.[the /quote]

you said it all bro....the vo's sometimes i don't understand them!! congrats too!!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 12:31pm On Feb 26, 2018
joystick007:
Good morning everyone,

I just got accepted for a masters program in Yeshiva University, New York. I was also offered a paid graduate assistantship and a $5k scholarship (which is small though).

However, I wasn't asked to pay application fee during the whole admission process, although the fee is $50, I was told my application can be attended to and I'll pay later. Okay, so I got admitted now and the school is saying I'll pay a down payment of $500 before March ending to confirm my admission.

I have no problem with that.

Here's my concern now...... Please, does been offered a paid graduate assistantship and a $5k scholarship gives my visa application an edge with the VO, no matter how little it is?

I'm also currently waiting on the admission decision of Maryland University (my first choice but very competitive). I really don't know how long it'll take. Should i really wait on them first or should I pay the $500 down payment for yeshiva?

Please, forgive my long post and questions. I'd appreciate responses to them.

This offer be as it get ..... why is the GA not covering the whole tuition. If you mean 5,000 scholarship and then a promise for a job . That sounds more like what you were offered

The next thing is how much is the total tuition. If the tuition $42,000 then 5k is just a tiny drop. So depending on your pocket this deal might not be as good as it seems . Best to keep other options open
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by enuelsmith: 12:37pm On Feb 26, 2018
GraceofGodfollo:
Please i need help, lack of fund to write TOEFL is delaying my application. I really need help, Deadlines r approaching. I have done all other processes just to write n report my score.
How much do you have for the registration etc,I may be of help

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by kinibd(m): 12:41pm On Feb 26, 2018
TWoods:

That's a lazy cop-out. There is a search feature here that can help narrow down a search if you're truly interested.

Chill bro, there are over a hundred pages here what page do you expect me to start from, 1? I had two options, search through the pages and either see an answer or not, the other option was to ask and probably get a response which i did so if you cant or wont help just ignore next time

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by lasthero: 12:46pm On Feb 26, 2018
GraceofGodfollo:
Please i need help, lack of fund to write TOEFL is delaying my application. I really need help, Deadlines r approaching. I have done all other processes just to write n report my score.

Pm Walspring, I think I saw a post about toefl and GRE discounts recently

(1) (2) (3) ... (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.