Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,143 members, 7,815,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:32 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 - Travel (138) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 (915374 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) ... (514) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by joystick007: 1:34pm On Feb 26, 2018
The fee is $36k. To be honest, I have no problem paying the fee. The school asked I send them my financial statements (of one or more sponsors) and I plan on doing that. Having been a silent reader here, I just want to know if I stand a chance with the VO and can be seen as a genuine student that I am.

Maryland that I'm waiting on actually don't offer GT or scholarship for the course I desire. It's just that UM is a bigger school and closer to been Ivy league.

LagosismyHome:

This offer be as it get ..... why is the GA not covering the whole tuition. If you mean 5,000 scholarship and then a promise for a job . That sounds more like what you were offered

The next thing is how much is the total tuition. If the tuition $42,000 then 5k is just a tiny drop. So depending on your pocket this deal might not be as good as it seems . Best to keep other options open
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by joystick007: 1:37pm On Feb 26, 2018
Thanks Sis

[quote author=Cynthia063 post=65382832][/quote]
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by sunshineluv5: 1:46pm On Feb 26, 2018
joystick007:
The fee is $36k. To be honest, I have no problem paying the fee. The school asked I send them my financial statements (of one or more sponsors) and I plan on doing that. Having been a silent reader here, I just want to know if I stand a chance with the VO and can be seen as a genuine student that I am.

Maryland that I'm waiting on actually don't offer GT or scholarship for the course I desire. It's just that UM is a bigger school and closer to been Ivy league.

$36k kwa osheeeeey

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 1:57pm On Feb 26, 2018
joystick007:

Cool..... just a note. Nobody can predict chances

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by sunshineluv5: 2:22pm On Feb 26, 2018
urgent reply please.....is it advisable to quote or cite an author or a scholar in one's SOP?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by beezyblaze(m): 3:04pm On Feb 26, 2018
please i have a question...
My dad and i are applying for a b1/b2 visa for tourism...
Please is it a wrong idea to tell them I'll also pay a visit about two schools i intend applying to??
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nobody: 3:47pm On Feb 26, 2018
joystick007:

Ask for an extension. Schools normally do that.
Hopefully your Maryland decision will come during the extended period
What's the name of the course?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by GraceofGodfollo: 3:51pm On Feb 26, 2018
enuelsmith:
How much do you have for the registration etc,I may be of help

Thanks,God will bless you. The registration is 40k. Through bymafit
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 4:11pm On Feb 26, 2018
GraceofGodfollo:
Please i need help, lack of fund to write TOEFL is delaying my application. I really need help, Deadlines r approaching. I have done all other processes just to write n report my score.

Initally I use to get involved in post like this but have come to realise that this student visa matter is a lot of money and things like GRE, SAT , toefl is just so little compared to the total . It one of the cheapest thing in this process

Forgive me if i sound discouraging but if TOEFL is a problem how do you intend to source for the rest ?

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by biikeys(m): 4:22pm On Feb 26, 2018
Yommy247:
Good day everybody. I want to apply for masters in agriculture can anybody help me out with the schools to choose... tho I've made my own research online but wuld appreciate if anyone can help out with informations

What did you come up with?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by folmus: 6:19pm On Feb 26, 2018
Yommy247:
Good day everybody. I want to apply for masters in agriculture can anybody help me out with the schools to choose... tho I've made my own research online but wuld appreciate if anyone can help out with informations

West Texas A&M Uni. With good credentials you can get TA.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by sunshineluv5: 6:45pm On Feb 26, 2018
sunshineluv5:
urgent reply please.....is it advisable to quote or cite an author or a scholar in one's SOP?
pls kindly respond to this if you have an idea
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Glocal1: 7:33pm On Feb 26, 2018
Wikreatemedia:
please help your boy...i need school without toelf or sat i have a degree in mechanical but want to study nursing please
What level of degree do you have in Mech?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Glocal1: 7:37pm On Feb 26, 2018
pvaila:
so I am new to Nairaland, but I am a student here in the US. If anyone needs help with anything, feel free to ask me or send me a dm, I'll be more than happy to help! God bless your hustle.
Which school are you and what is your course of study?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Gewezzy1(f): 8:04pm On Feb 26, 2018
Please does anyone know about Arkansas Tech University, am a graduate of law but plan to go for my Masters in Emergency Management and Homeland Security. How do i convince the VO and do i need IELTS
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 10:24pm On Feb 26, 2018
Wikreatemedia:
please help your boy...i need school without toelf or sat i have a degree in mechanical but want to study nursing please

Mechanical engineering to nursing? Save your money.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 10:26pm On Feb 26, 2018
GraceofGodfollo:
Please i need help, lack of fund to write TOEFL is delaying my application. I really need help, Deadlines r approaching. I have done all other processes just to write n report my score.

If you have no funds to write toefl then you don’t have the funds to study in the United States. Stay home and get a job or look for a scholarship.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 10:29pm On Feb 26, 2018
kinibd:

Chill bro, there are over a hundred pages here what page do you expect me to start from, 1? I had two options, search through the pages and either see an answer or not, the other option was to ask and probably get a response which i did so if you cant or wont help just ignore next time

You’ve got quite the nerve haven’t you? grin you can’t search over 100 pages... but want someone else who obtained the information by dint of hardwork to just hand it to you while you peer at us from your high chair? You’ve got a long way to go bro.

7 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by TWoods(m): 10:31pm On Feb 26, 2018
joystick007:

Are you sure what you were awarded is a graduate assistantship?

Also, I am aware of the university of Maryland system, never heard of Maryland unit as being close to Ivy League. But I may be wrong.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tizentos: 11:24pm On Feb 26, 2018
UPDATE:

After waiting endlessly for weeks, my US dream almost withered. At last, admit decisions finally roll in. This is my update.

Confirmed List:

Stevens Institute of Technology(Ms)( accepted plus $15k fellowship award)

Auburn University(Ms)(accepted, scheduled a Skype interview with a prof later in the week)

Cleveland State University(Ms) (accepted)

Stanford University(Ms) (accepted, I actually applied cuz of the Knight Hennessey scholarship but I wasn't awarded).

Pending list,

UT Austin(Ms)
UC boulder (Ms
TAMU,College station (PhD).

Please guys, I need you advice on the Skype interview and how I can go about securing full funding. Your advise will be highly appreciated. #teamfall2018

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Scholastica16: 1:12am On Feb 27, 2018
ibksolar:

Thanks Scholastica16 for your response.

Yes, the bank is GTBank and I have internet banking options. What online banking options is available?

Also, I checked TransferWise and it seems they only move money into Nigeria and not the other way round.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

What options do you know of that's reliable and economical?

I believe they can move money in either directions and I mentioned them to you because they had better rates than commercial banks etc. You are still implored to do your own investigations.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Mitchely: 2:08am On Feb 27, 2018
tizentos:
UPDATE:

After waiting endlessly for weeks, my US dream almost withered. At last, admit decisions finally roll in. This is my update.

Confirmed List:

Auburn University(Ms)(accepted, scheduled a Skype interview with a prof later in the week)

Stanford University(Ms) (accepted, I actually applied cuz of the Knight Hennessey scholarship but I wasn't awarded).

Pending list,

UT Austin(Ms)
UC boulder (Ms

Please guys, I need you advice on the Skype interview and how I can go about securing full funding. Your advise will be highly appreciated. #teamfall2018

Congratulations on the Admits.
For the skype interview....it may help to look through the web page of the Prof. Identify his ongoing projects that align with your interests, research those projects and identify how you can contribute to their realization. Cite recent research effort in the projects, identify gap(s), propose solution routes you may explore if given the opportunity. Concentrate on funded projects on his/her page. All the best.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by amanze15(m): 2:43am On Feb 27, 2018
another one wey I learn today cheesy

"I got a mail from my bank asking me to fill the W-8BEN form which says "Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting(Individuals), Just fill it up and send. It's for tax purposes. You might get a lot of money in your savings account for which they pay you Interest or got a brokerage account with some stocks that are paying you a dividend or got referral money from a bank. In either case, they withheld a little bit of tax... At the end of the year, you will receive a 1099INT/DIV with some amount withheld by Federal or State and don't forget to include the withheld amount in your taxes too.."

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ElDeeVee(m): 3:47am On Feb 27, 2018
tizentos:
UPDATE:

Confirmed List:

Pending list,

UT Austin(Ms)
UC boulder (Ms

Congrats! Pretty good schools cool cool

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 4:46am On Feb 27, 2018
tizentos:
UPDATE:

Below is an old response to someone who was in a similar position in 2016......loved the response when i first read it and it applies to anyone eith a Skype interview . Source: happy day

Cc: Cooltony09 here so i dont have to retype
Cc Card5

happyday:

Congratulations! If anything, you can be sure that the department thinks you're good on paper. It's time to make them gauge how eligible you're for a PhD slot in their program. First, how did you get the interview invite? Was it through a normal application, or you knew someone (a grad student, post-doc or faculty) who helped you 'press' the right buttons? If it's the latter, you might contact them to give you a heads-up on what to expect.

Either way, you need not fret. Interviews like this is 2-way. They're trying to interview you, as much as you're trying to interview them!

Firstly, be prepared for the interview. If you don't have a 2-way headset (microphone and earpiece), get one. If your internet connection is not optimal, find a place where you can be connected for the period of the interview. Ensure your PC's battery is fine enough to last you throughout the interview, even if PHCN comes knocking.

Resist the temptation to dress in half. Dress as if you'll be attending an in-person interview. You might need to stand up, plus dressing full-length will give you confidence levels a huge boost. Minutes before the interview, test run the audio, video and internet connection. Test everything and make sure all is in order.

Then, you'll need to be ready. Find out about your interviewers. How many are they? It doesn't hurt to ask prior to the interview. Most likely, your future advisor will be leading the team. Check his research page and really dig into his research interests. You'll need to show some enthusiasm about his research objectives. Otherwise, he might think you won't make a great addition to his lab. Which might be okay than for you spending the next 5 years on something you absolutely have no interest in. If you're applying with a BSc, be prepared to discuss your final year project, and look for ways to link it up with the faculty's research work. Ultimately, your answers should reflect that you've taken time out to know what the Prof is working on, and how you see yourself being a great Plus One in his lab.

He would also like you to meet him. Pay attention. Don't get lost in the need to impress him/them. Tell him your doubts, be open and let him know you're looking forward to working with him, if truly he seems a cool person to work with. Prepare a few questions to ask, towards the end. It shows your level of initiative and motivation. Ask about the application process. If one document won't be coming through anytime soon, let him know. He might fight for you at the admissions committees. Again, if he thinks you're good enough. Which takes me to the last point.

Blow your trumpet. Don't be reserved or 'humble'. Glance through the documents you've submitted to them, and make sure you can defend them very well at the interview.

If all goes well, he might typical encourage you to apply. If you haven't done so already. I wish you the best.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by LagosismyHome(f): 4:50am On Feb 27, 2018
tizentos:

Another old comment I made on this topic. All the best and congrats on your admission

Cc: Cooltony09 here so i dont have to retype
Cc Card5

Spend time researching about the prof projects both past and present so u can talk about it ...the key is for him to see u as a candidate that will add value to his work and make his job easier so be well researched on his project and even if its not mentioned....

Mention and add it to the conversation so he knows u did your homework well ...best of luck 
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by tizentos: 7:35am On Feb 27, 2018
Thanks everyone for the input...great response!

Although am optimistic, but am also looking at a worst case scenario.What are the pros and cons for getting a loan to study in a school like Stanford. The school has a loan package for international students. What's your view on this?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by sunshineluv5: 4:00pm On Feb 27, 2018
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by pvaila(f): 4:41pm On Feb 27, 2018
Glocal1:
Which school are you and what is your course of study?

I school at one of the TAMU campuses. I'm a mechanical engineering major.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Cynthia063: 5:24pm On Feb 27, 2018
[b][/b] hello everybody.....
i have an interview on Friday for f1 visa
please does anyone have any information i need to know before going.... actually i have failed once and i don't want to again
please if you feel that i should know something or any information before going please and please feel free and tell me. thanks so much
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by ponpon(m): 5:27pm On Feb 27, 2018
Respond like a genuine student that you are
Cynthia063:
please does anyone have any information i need to know before going.... actually i have failed once and i don't want to again
please if you feel that i should know something or any information before going please and please feel free and tell me. thanks so much
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 by Nwabu007(m): 6:20pm On Feb 27, 2018
Search for Transcripts. Start with that! Best Wishes!

Cynthia063:

(1) (2) (3) ... (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) ... (514)

DV 2013 Winners Meet Here / QATAR And UAE GENERAL VISA ENQUIRIES PART 2 / USA Visit Visa Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.