Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,443 members, 7,816,018 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:36 PM

The Nigerian Political Arena And Its Unending Fallacies - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Nigerian Political Arena And Its Unending Fallacies (666 Views)

How Nigerian Political ‘godfathers’ Were Humbled In 2019 / *kawu Baraje’s Npdp And Its Unending National Embarrassment * / The Nigerian Political Power Brokers: The North And The West. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Nigerian Political Arena And Its Unending Fallacies by Hedriz(m): 8:33am On Dec 11, 2017
THE NIGERIAN POLITICAL ARENA AND ITS UNENDING FALLACIES

By; Shotunde Oladimeji
Student;
Lagos State University

_This article is a long one but trust me, it is loaded with meaning._

The 2019 elections is fast approaching and politicians are already in their usual business of trying to woo unsuspecting electorates with their unending promises. This has been the norm right from the inception of democracy in the Nigerian political sphere.

An average Nigerian would, in the normal practice, be convinced to vote for an aspirant with incentives like a mini bag of Rice and a litre of groundnut oil. These are the almost-usual prerequisites for any Nigerian politician to get himself or herself into office. The question is: "How long are we going to keep doing this?". The Nigerian political landscape is a cycle where everything revolves and comes back to the same state it started off from after a period of time.

We have continually seen old and recycled politicians; who have nothing to offer the populace, in the corridors of power over and over again and we seem not to have the killer instinct to negotiate our path to freedom.

Recently, I have been observing the Buhari vs Atiku tussle and I ask myself; " If Nigeria is a progressive country, are these the persons we should present come 2019?". Does it mean that out of over a hundred million adults (According to the National Population Commission; NPC), we can only present two recycled politicians for the top post at Aso Rock who happen to be 75years (Buhari) and 71years (Atiku) respectively?. Sadly, the Nigerian political system is positioned in such a way that electorates would have no choice than to vote for any candidate presented by the elite parties. Party primaries are seen as the real deal even though, in actual sense, they are rarely representative or transparent enough.

One problem about Nigerian politicians is that many of them see themselves as demigods. Once they assume office, they automatically place themselves above the law; giving no room for accountability and inclusive governance, and this limits their performance. They seem to have forgotten that the illiterate of the 21st century is not someone who can neither read nor write, but someone who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn.

The problem of Nigeria began with the May 1999 constitution which allows for political office holders to occupy political positions for two terms; with each term lasting for four years. This is a major blunder. The best would have been to introduce a single five- year tenure system as I fail to see why a purpose driven individual would not be able to impact the society in five years unless when he or she is allowed to rule for eight years.

The legislative arm which should have amended certain laws is sadly in a sham. Both the upper and lower chambers are in a mess as the political office holders there seem to just occupy the seats, flaunt wealth and do nothing more. The tiers of government in their entirety need a massive restructuring. I posit!

In recent times, it has become increasingly evident that even the youths cannot be banked on. Everyone is just there to take their share of the national cake. We do not need to stretch our necks out too far to see the signs. In our various tertiary institutions, young people contest for elective posts and many times, it all comes to nothing at the end. Can you see that the much hyped future of Nigeria is very bleak but there are still signs of hope that can be ignited by me and you reading this.

The youths, from my observation have "misplaced priorities ". Recently, there was an online campaign to end the operations of the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) tagged #ENDSARS which was massively carried out by everyone even though they failed to turn up for the scheduled protest at Abuja after all the noise. I would have loved it if we had shown that kind of zeal in chasing out old, recycled and corrupt politicians and inadvertently, use that zeal to elect vibrant, lucent and intelligent individuals.

In Monica Crowley's words; "In our age, there is no such thing as keeping out of politics. All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia". This is a deep statement but we can change that ideology. "Politics can become a mass of truth, abidance, prudence, affection and reality"- Oladimeji.

WHAT IS THE WAY OUT?!

From the foregoing, I would suggest the following:

1. There should be a massive revolution in the political circle. Old politicians should be blacklisted from contesting political offices and younger generations should be given a chance!

2. Single term tenure system should be entrenched in the constitution as that would negate the ideology of having a second chance.

3. I would push for STATE SOVEREIGNTY I.e the powers at the federal level should be shared to component units. It would reduce the scramble for the ultimate prize among politicians and it would conspicuously bring Inter-Governmental competition which would in the long run benefit the citizens.

4. Nigerian elections should not be monetized as it has driven out many of the good eggs and left the game for the bad and dirty ones.

5. Political participation should be encouraged by making elections free, fair and credible. This would repose confidence in the electorates.

6. The practice of having political godfathers should be abolished as it limits performance as a result of working under the radar of unknown cabals.

7. I will push for us to have a *POPULAR SAFEGUARD* where democracy will not be understood as a practice of collective self government by the "people", but rather, the selection by the people of representatives to govern on their behalf- Joseph Schumpeter

*my SUBMISSION!

Borrowing the words of Martin Luther King; "There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right". Nigerians, the time to make a move is now!

Thanks for reading!

Shotunde Oladimeji

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Political Arena And Its Unending Fallacies by Oladimeji07(m): 7:39pm On Dec 11, 2017
Hedriz:

By; Shotunde Oladimeji
Student;
Lagos State University

The 2019 elections is fast approaching and politicians are already in their usual business of trying to woo unsuspecting electorates with their unending promises. This has been the norm right from the inception of democracy in the Nigerian political sphere.

An average Nigerian would, in the normal practice, be convinced to vote for an aspirant with incentives like a mini bag of Rice and a litre of groundnut oil. These are the almost-usual prerequisites for any Nigerian politician to get himself or herself into office. The question is: "How long are we going to keep doing this?". The Nigerian political landscape is a cycle where everything revolves and comes back to the same state it started off from after a period of time.

We have continually seen old and recycled politicians; who have nothing to offer the populace, in the corridors of power over and over again and we seem not to have the killer instinct to negotiate our path to freedom.

Recently, I have been observing the Buhari vs Atiku tussle and I ask myself; " If Nigeria is a progressive country, are these the persons we should present come 2019?". Does it mean that out of over a hundred million adults (According to the National Population Commission; NPC), we can only present two recycled politicians for the top post at Aso Rock who happen to be 75years (Buhari) and 71years (Atiku) respectively?. Sadly, the Nigerian political system is positioned in such a way that electorates would have no choice than to vote for any candidate presented by the elite parties. Party primaries are seen as the real deal even though, in actual sense, they are rarely representative or transparent enough.

One problem about Nigerian politicians is that many of them see themselves as demigods. Once they assume office, they automatically place themselves above the law; giving no room for accountability and inclusive governance, and this limits their performance. They seem to have forgotten that the illiterate of the 21st century is not someone who can neither read nor write, but someone who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn.

The problem of Nigeria began with the May 1999 constitution which allows for political office holders to occupy political positions for two terms; with each term lasting for four years. This is a major blunder. The best would have been to introduce a single five- year tenure system as I fail to see why a purpose driven individual would not be able to impact the society in five years unless when he or she is allowed to rule for eight years.

The legislative arm which should have amended certain laws is sadly in a sham. Both the upper and lower chambers are in a mess as the political office holders there seem to just occupy the seats, flaunt wealth and do nothing more. The tiers of government in their entirety need a massive restructuring. I posit!

In recent times, it has become increasingly evident that even the youths cannot be banked on. Everyone is just there to take their share of the national cake. We do not need to stretch our necks out too far to see the signs. In our various tertiary institutions, young people contest for elective posts and many times, it all comes to nothing at the end. Can you see that the much hyped future of Nigeria is very bleak but there are still signs of hope that can be ignited by me and you reading this.

The youths, from my observation have "misplaced priorities ". Recently, there was an online campaign to end the operations of the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS) tagged #ENDSARS which was massively carried out by everyone even though they failed to turn up for the scheduled protest at Abuja after all the noise. I would have loved it if we had shown that kind of zeal in chasing out old, recycled and corrupt politicians and inadvertently, use that zeal to elect vibrant, lucent and intelligent individuals.

In Monica Crowley's words; "In our age, there is no such thing as keeping out of politics. All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia". This is a deep statement but we can change that ideology. "Politics can become a mass of truth, abidance, prudence, affection and reality"- Oladimeji.

WHAT IS THE WAY OUT?!

1. There should be a massive revolution in the political circle. Old politicians should be blacklisted from contesting political offices and younger generations should be given a chance!

2. Single term tenure system should be entrenched in the constitution as that would negate the ideology of having a second chance.

3. I would push for STATE SOVEREIGNTY I.e the powers at the federal level should be shared to component units. It would reduce the scramble for the ultimate prize among politicians and it would conspicuously bring Inter-Governmental competition which would in the long run benefit the citizens.

4. Nigerian elections should not be monetized as it has driven out many of the good eggs and left the game for the bad and dirty ones.

5. Political participation should be encouraged by making elections free, fair and credible. This would repose confidence in the electorates.

6. The practice of having political godfathers should be abolished as it limits performance as a result of working under the radar of unknown cabals.

7. I will push for us to have a *POPULAR SAFEGUARD* where democracy will not be understood as a practice of collective self government by the "people", but rather, the selection by the people of representatives to govern on their behalf- Joseph Schumpeter

*my SUBMISSION!

Borrowing the words of Martin Luther King; "There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right". Nigerians, the time to make a move is now!

Thanks for reading!

Shotunde Oladimeji
Re: The Nigerian Political Arena And Its Unending Fallacies by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 10:55pm On Dec 11, 2017
Hedriz:

By; Shotunde Oladimeji
Student;
Lagos State University

WHAT IS THE WAY OUT?!

*my SUBMISSION!

Thanks for reading!

Shotunde Oladimeji

Wonderful write up bro

But what you just wrote up there can't work in our Nigeria of today. The major problem we have as a nation is the corrupt system and our mindset towards governance.

The moral decadence stinks to high heavens.

The system of government we operate doesn't give room for the good guys. Its for ruthless and brutal guys..

Maybe the next generation can change.

But not this present Nigeria...

(1) (Reply)

Factional Group: Buhari Plans To Be Sole Candidate In 2019, Says PDP / 2019: Will Buhari Still Present An Affidavit In Place Of His WASC / This Thing Called 'Killer Herdsman' By Mahmud Jega Daily Trust

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.