Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,393 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:44 AM

Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg (2008 Views)

Nigeria's GDP Shrinks By 6.10% In Q2 2020 - NBS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by SalamRushdie: 1:41pm On Dec 11, 2017
According to a KPMG report citing the world bank Nigeria now has just 803, 200 individual out of 160 million people who are qualified to be called active middle class , the report does not state if this includes both the formal and informal sectors or covers just formal.. The report goes on classify the middle class as any one who earns a sustained 8.44 dollars a day which adds up about 96 thousand naira a month.

Source : https://home.kpmg.com/za/en/home/insights/2016/08/african-consumer-and-retail-sector-report-2016.html

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by aolawale025: 1:47pm On Dec 11, 2017
That's indicative of an economy not yet out of the woods

3 Likes

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by SalamRushdie: 1:50pm On Dec 11, 2017
aolawale025:

Exactly

2 Likes

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by drake2(m): 1:58pm On Dec 11, 2017
This is very very troubling!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by ponziponzi(m): 2:01pm On Dec 11, 2017
$8.44/day? Wow! That’s even less than the minimum wage per hour and you call that middle class. If those ones are categorised as middle class, God help the low class earners. Why I am surprised at a country whose residents believe more in miracles than in hard work and creativity.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by Agbaletu: 2:03pm On Dec 11, 2017
SalamRushdie:
According to a KPMG report citing the world bank Nigeria now has just 803, 200 individual out of 160 million people who are qualified to be called active middle class , the report does not state if this includes both the formal and informal sectors or covers just formal.. The report goes on classify the middle class as any one who earns a sustained 8.44 dollars a day which adds up about 96 thousand naira a month.

Source : https://home.kpmg.com/za/en/home/insights/2016/08/african-consumer-and-retail-sector-report-2016.html
Could this be true?
Only 803,200 individual earn $8.44 per day in Nigeria out of 180 million people, I doubt it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by eagleeye2: 2:27pm On Dec 11, 2017
Agbaletu:

Could this be true?
Only 803,200 individual earn $8.44 per day in Nigeria out of 180 million people, I doubt it.
Abegii.... forget all these negative reports and concentrate on your hustles.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by Day169: 2:34pm On Dec 11, 2017
I'm quite amazed at how we keep depending on external source to generate data locally, while our higher institutions generate no more than strikes and unemployable graduates.
Abi would our scholars require sophisticated equipment to carry out this type of study again?
SMH!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by Nobody: 2:38pm On Dec 11, 2017
Useless APC government and their thirst for poverty

6 Likes

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by three: 3:26pm On Dec 11, 2017
This criteria for determining who is middle class is suspect.

1 Like

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by LessNoise: 3:30pm On Dec 11, 2017
aolawale025:

Even when it was out of it how much per $ were we making?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by SalamRushdie: 3:39pm On Dec 11, 2017
three:
This criteria for determining who is middle class is suspect.

8 dollar 44 is a very fair plimsoll if you ask me ..What criteria do U suggest

1 Like

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by tsdarkside(m): 3:43pm On Dec 11, 2017
Agbaletu:

Could this be true?

you wan believe that guy...?...

how does this number make sense to anybody...?...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by SalamRushdie: 3:55pm On Dec 11, 2017
tsdarkside:

you wan believe that guy...?...

how does this number make sense to anybody...?...

Check your closest ten friends including yourself and do the maths ..in your own work place the average income is 30k per month which is proof the reporr is accurate

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by tsdarkside(m): 4:02pm On Dec 11, 2017
SalamRushdie:

Check your closest ten friends including yourself and do the maths ..in your own work place the average income is 30k per month which is proof the reporr is accurate

i dont think so....it doesnt add up......

from 180mil people only that few...??...how many work for the goverment..?....and who deceides how to calculate middle class people...??...?..

can the same formula be used on china or india too....??...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by Saaruman(m): 4:05pm On Dec 11, 2017
The way people are suffering under Vegetable govt is mind blowing. Just go to the streets and hospitals. Buhari D Vegetable is a Curse!

5 Likes

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by Outofsync(m): 5:56pm On Dec 11, 2017
tsdarkside:

i dont think so....it doesnt add up......

from 180mil people only that few...??...how many work for the goverment..?....and who deceides how to calculate middle class people...??...?..

can the same formula be used on china or india too....??...
What exactly is so unbelievable about that though??

is it the millions of ASUU and Nasu members who are fighting over crumbs of money dividend?
or the Civil servants, some of which haven't received pay in over 3 months now that will break a middle class barrier.

Truth is, middle Class in Nigeria as of now is just a fancy term for "Poor but I still have change"

2 Likes

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by tsdarkside(m): 6:08pm On Dec 11, 2017
Outofsync:

What exactly is so unbelievable about that though??

is it the millions of ASUU and Nasu members who are fighting over crumbs of money dividend?
or the Civil servants, some of which haven't received pay in over 3 months now that will break a middle class barrier.

Truth is, middle Class in Nigeria as of now is just a fancy term for "Poor but I still have change"

exactly...so we dont have to argue about middle class stuff....

nigeria is not a rich country like america....and with the problems we have with our way of thinking,i dont think its a good idea to be calculating middle class...for me,it doesnt exist....what we have is the very rich and the very poor....simple....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by tsdarkside(m): 6:12pm On Dec 11, 2017
op is a confutionist anyways.....sooo,why should we even bother argueing about something like middle class...?....

1 Like

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by Agbaletu: 6:23pm On Dec 11, 2017
tsdarkside:

exactly...so we dont have to argue about middle class stuff....

nigeria is not a rich country like america....and with the problems we have with our way of thinking,i dont think its a good idea to be calculating middle class...for me,it doesnt exist....what we have is the very rich and the very poor....simple....
I disagree with you. How do you classify someone that earns 1 million naira monthly, another one earns 500k monthly, another one earns 50k monthly...now compare them with a business owner with 10 - 50 million naira monthly turnover. Where do you place the looters in government?
I want to believe that the middle class still exists.
I think what we have in Nigeria can be categorised as follows:
The very rich
The rich
The middle class
The middle-middle class(let's pretend as if there is a compound word like that)
The poor
The very poor

2 Likes

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by tuniski: 6:25pm On Dec 11, 2017
aolawale025:
Troubling reality and yet, some are still supporting this poverty govt of buhari!
Daura must receive Buhari come 2019.

1 Like

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by PDJT: 6:31pm On Dec 11, 2017
Not surprised. The Zoo is a shame to humanity and with illiterate as head of state, no sane human can expect anything less. Add the retrogressive culture of the people, you will have your answer why most Zoo people are wallowing in adject poverty. A people who profer Political solutions for Economic problems can’t in all honesty be taken seriously. Let them continue to suffer till the Zoo collapses.
Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by tsdarkside(m): 6:41pm On Dec 11, 2017
Agbaletu:

I disagree with you. How do you classify someone that earns 1 million naira monthly, another one earns 500k monthly, another one earns 50k monthly...now compare them with a business owner with 10 - 50 million naira monthly turnover. Where do you place the looters in government?
I want to believe that the middle class still exists.
I think what we have in Nigeria can be categorised as follows:
The very rich
The rich
The middle class
The middle-middle class(let's pretend as if there is a compound word like that)
The poor
The very poor

and how you wan calculate all this people....were did he get his numbers from....??....were nigerians even conducted before putting up this numbers...??....how can he exactly know this numbers....??...was the federal goverment even asked...??..

it makes no sense putting up numbers....we dont even know exactly how many nigerians live today.....

nobody knows exactly...how about those abroad...?....they dont count...??

op is a confusionist....go look other threads that he opens....they all dont make sense...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by tsdarkside(m): 6:45pm On Dec 11, 2017
tuniski:

Troubling reality and yet, some are still supporting this poverty govt of buhari!
Daura must receive Buhari come 2019.

we still dont want fee dee fee back...una can cry as una want....its una right....
Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by Agbaletu: 6:49pm On Dec 11, 2017
tsdarkside:

and how you wan calculate all this people....were did he get his numbers from....??....were nigerians even conducted before putting up this numbers...??....how can he exactly know this numbers....??...was the federal goverment even asked...??..

it makes no sense putting up numbers....we dont even know exactly how many nigerians live today.....

nobody knows exactly...how about those abroad...?....they dont count...??

op is a confusionist....go look other threads that he opens....they all dont make sense...
If you check my first post I didn't agree with the op.
Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by tsdarkside(m): 6:57pm On Dec 11, 2017
Agbaletu:

If you check my first post I didn't agree with the op.

sooo,thats reason enough for us to be argueing with each other because op came up with some numbers...??...

international agencies cant know the exact numbers....you have nigerians that can raise up n600.000 to go to libya...

its realy not easy to know the numbers...

1 Like

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by ivandragon: 6:57pm On Dec 11, 2017
Day169:
I'm quite amazed at how we keep depending on external source to generate data locally, while our higher institutions generate no more than strikes and unemployable graduates.
Abi would our scholars require sophisticated equipment to carry out this type of study again?
SMH!

these 'external sources' as you call them have local offices in countries where they operate & these offices are staffed by mostly citizens of that country who are into research.

furthermore, academic & non-teaching staff from higher institutions also carry out research for most of these top research agencies.

so please, do not think reputable organisations just spew figures out of thin air (at least most of them don't)...
Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by tsdarkside(m): 6:59pm On Dec 11, 2017
ivandragon:

these 'external sources' as you call them have local offices in countries where they operate & these offices are staffed by mostly citizens of that country who are into research.

furthermore, academic & non-teaching staff from higher institutions also carry out research for most of these top research agencies.

so please, do not think reputable organisations just spew figures out of thin air (at least most of them don't)...

the same organisations that predicted nigeria would break up...?...

1 Like

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by mightyhazel: 7:00pm On Dec 11, 2017
i doubt this report shaa..

a dryfish hawker in a market was boasting the other day while i was loading stuffs into my car about how she makes bw 6 and 8k daily from her daily hawking. dats like atleast 130k monthly.

these are even the ppl we reckon to be the poor in society.

1 Like

Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by horsepower101: 7:04pm On Dec 11, 2017
In a country of 180 million. Not even upto 1 million middle class. SHAME
Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by ivandragon: 7:11pm On Dec 11, 2017
tsdarkside:

the same organisations that predicted nigeria would break up...?...

mention the organisation(s) that said so...
Re: Nigerias Middle Class Shrinks To 803,200 Individuals-kpmg by tsdarkside(m): 7:22pm On Dec 11, 2017
ivandragon:

mention the organisation(s) that said so...

were do you think america has their believe from...??...international organisations cant be trusted...you should concentrate on your own sef and not about what others say about you....

their are international organisations that say even america will go burst...you think americans would just give up now and commit all mass arakiri....??...why are you doing it...??....

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

2023: It's A Scam Promising Igbos Presidency, We Want Referendum - Amechi / Relative Strength Of Apc And Pdp In North Central And South West / 10 Million Jobs In 100 Days In Office Manifesto Signed By Atiku Abubakar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.