Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,234 members, 7,818,783 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance (56444 Views)

Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English / The Difference Between The Phrases “you And Me” And “you And I” / Confusing English Words/Phrases You Probably Do Not Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by gentlegeno(m): 6:37pm On Dec 12, 2017
Oga, presently connotes 'currently, at the moment and very soon' In English, it's possible for a word to have several meanings.
Stop misleading.

1 Like

Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by Despirado121(m): 6:52pm On Dec 12, 2017
English language sha!! I've given up on English since the day I knew that "flammable " and "inflammable " means the same thing ooo
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by OfficialAwol(m): 7:11pm On Dec 12, 2017
femijohn21:

Learn how to correct in love. Nobody is above mistake.

You could have just said that a mistake is sighted, to point the attention of the OP instead of trying to frustrate his/her effort.

Don't do that again. Is that taken?

You could have just said that a mistake is sighted, to point the attention of the OP instead of trying to frustrate his/her effort.

lol

Yes sir.
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by Samstyle(m): 7:46pm On Dec 12, 2017
Tizbid:

Savagery!!! grin grin grin

Thanks for the insult Mr dear
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by shenaxy: 7:50pm On Dec 12, 2017
OfficialAwol:

Even the one trying to teach us English, doesn't know the difference between "imaging" and "imagine"...

I suggest you find something else to blog on..

Nigger, you just eased me with laughter. grin
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by LordAA(m): 8:33pm On Dec 12, 2017
About the fourth one, you're wrong

Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by delishpot: 8:38pm On Dec 12, 2017
Be rest assured
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by henryskywalker2003(m): 8:54pm On Dec 12, 2017
Samstyle:
Hello everyone, today we will discuss some wrong English sentence/phrases that is prevalent among students. Most especially, in Nigeria.

I advise you read painstakingly and study the sentences, as they will help you improve your grammatical structure.

Now, let's get going.

1. BIRDS OF THE SAME FEATHERS.

Note that the proverb " birds of a feather" is never "birds of the same feathers". The correct form of this is;

"Birds of a feather" Not "Birds of the same feathers"

2. POSSIBLE BEST or BEST POSSIBLE

Avoid the use of "BEST POSSIBLE" or "POSSIBLE BEST". Simply say "BEST".

For example, " I will try my best"

3. SO AND THEREFORE

Note that, it is wrong to use "SO" and "THEREFORE" together or "STILL" and "YET" together. You must only use one.

For example:

- I know him, So therefore... (wrong)
- I know him, so... Or I know him, therefore.... (Correct)

4. PRESENTLY AND AT PRESENT

Note that the word " PRESENTLY" means "very soon". It does not mean "AT THE MOMENT". So, if you mean to say 'Now', say "AT PRESENT" or " AT THE MOMENT".

"I will see you presently", means I will "see you very soon"

5. " I was introduced to the Chairman and the Vice Chairman of company"

" I was introduced to the Chairman and Vice Chairman of the company"

I know many many will not be able to tell, which is right or wrong. Nevertheless, since the Chairman is not the same as the Vice Chairman, it is necessary you repeat the definite article (the).

6. "If I were wrong, I'd be the first to admit it."

" If I was wrong, I'd be the first to admit it."

Well, in this case, the first sentence is correct. This is because subjunctive mood requires "WERE", when the conjunction "IF" introduced a supposition.

7. "Nothing shall ever come between you and i,' he told her."

"Nothing shall ever come between you and me,' he told her."

The correct sentence here is, "Nothing shall ever come between you and me,' he told her." Because, the preposition "between", is always followed by the objective form of the pronoun.

8. "Can you imagine him forgetting a date like that?

"Can you imagine his forgetting a date like that?

The correct form here is the second sentence. Be the possessive case ( his) should be used for a pronoun followed by a gerund

9. It is worthy to Note that the response "HOW DO YOU DO" is not a question requiring a further answer by the one introducing himself or herself. However, in greetings, if. Mr A ask, "how do you do" Mr B will respond with "how do you do, too"

10. TO BATH / BATHE

To BATH, means "to wash the whole body" whereas "BATHE" means "to wash a path of the body, especially one which is in pain.

E.g " The doctor ordered that he BATHE his sprained fingers in tepid water"

Source:
www.myschoolnews.ga/2017/12/12-wrong-english-sentence-you-have-been.html?m=0#more

Having known all these, I hope you were very delighted.

It's sad to see when someone claims to be correcting another person ends up making worse mistakes and errors. Before you posted this, it would have been better you took some time to check them up first.
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by xreal: 9:47pm On Dec 12, 2017
@ number 10

I have learnt something new.

But, I still need to consult my dictionary.
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by DMerciful(m): 9:49pm On Dec 12, 2017
unappreciative mind undecided
Tizbid:

Savagery!!! grin grin grin
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by Alobogab(m): 9:58pm On Dec 12, 2017
Thank you
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by Nobody: 10:01pm On Dec 12, 2017
Heywhizzy:
Mumu op.. presently also means at the present time

Don't come and unlearn some of the right things I have learnt

If you want to correct some things, make sure you research and correct without no error.. na your type dey fail correction

I wish you good luck in your forthcoming JAMB exam

OKs
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by Heywhizzy(m): 10:10pm On Dec 12, 2017
Nazeren:

Shut up. Presently means soon. Not at present. Op is correct.
stop exposing the fact that you're a dropout..

Presently also means at the present time.. please google and thank me later, you fool
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by Heywhizzy(m): 10:24pm On Dec 12, 2017
Nazeren:

I'm sorry for insulting you.. hope you've unlearned the rubbish the op taught you concerning presently?
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by Nobody: 10:31pm On Dec 12, 2017
Op lemme come and go e hia
that ur number 9 dey pain me 4 head sha....
Person go ask me'How do u do' i go tell am back straight 'How do u do too' Haba.....
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by zela(m): 11:24pm On Dec 12, 2017
I think the last one doesn't follow at all... Bath is a Noun and Bathe is a Verb... So u can have a Bath.. And Bathe your child...
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by Brugo(m): 7:40am On Dec 13, 2017
Samstyle:

4. PRESENTLY AND AT PRESENT

Note that the word " PRESENTLY" means "very soon". It does not mean "AT THE MOMENT". So, if you mean to say 'Now', say "AT PRESENT" or " AT THE MOMENT".

"I will see you presently", means I will "see you very soon"

Wrong

"Presently" also means at the moment.

Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by poseidon12: 7:58am On Dec 13, 2017
Swaggzkid:
Thanks Op, av learnt something new already today before 10am.

how do you do?

Are you sure "how do you do" should be followed by a question mark?
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by olowobaba10: 10:23am On Dec 13, 2017
JUST SHUT UP YOUR MOUTH IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY, SO THEREFORE IS A VERY CORRECT ENGLISH EVEN BEING USED BY THE BRITISH NEWS CASTERS AND THE GENERAL PUBLIC UP TILL TODAY.
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by olowobaba10: 10:25am On Dec 13, 2017
DID HE SAY IMAGING OR IMAGINE , MAY BE YOU NEED EYE GLASSES
OfficialAwol:

Even the one trying to teach us English, doesn't know the difference between "imaging" and "imagine"...

I suggest you find something else to blog on..
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by charlsecy(m): 9:05pm On Dec 13, 2017
Samstyle:
10. TO BATH / BATHE

To BATH, means "to wash the whole body" whereas "BATHE" means "to wash a path of the body, especially one which is in pain.
You're wrong no 10. Use your dictionary to verify for yourself.
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by desprado: 8:45pm On Aug 15, 2019
maxiuc:
Mathematics 1+1=2
English language is never straight forward
1+1=11 there two na scam sha
Re: 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance by desprado: 8:47pm On Aug 15, 2019
no 1 weak me oo :-(

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chinedu John: 19-Year-Old Who Sued JAMB For N1 Billion Over Result Arrested / 10 Common Facts About Kogi State University Girls / What Could This Little Boy Be Thinking? (photo )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.