Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,026 members, 7,818,030 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

Sack Iwu Now; Labour, Civil Society Groups Protest In Abuja - Latest - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sack Iwu Now; Labour, Civil Society Groups Protest In Abuja - Latest (817 Views)

Happening Now: Labour, Civil Societies Shut Down Abuja Over Electricity Tariff / Resign Now, Labour Unions Tell Saraki / APC, PDP, Civil Society, INEC Disagreed Over Card Reader Performance In Kano (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sack Iwu Now; Labour, Civil Society Groups Protest In Abuja - Latest by Hardtalk: 10:23pm On Mar 31, 2010
Sack Iwu Now; Labour, Civil Society Groups Protest In Abuja
March 31, 2010 17:00 (5 hours ago), 369 views

By Oluokun Ayorinde & Desmond Utomwen/ Abuja

The Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, and its affiliated unions will embark on a total strike if Professor Maurice Iwu is reappointed as the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), after the expiration of his tenure in June.

NLC President, Comrade Abdulwaheed Omar, declared this morning at a national rally held in Abuja in support of electoral reforms.

•Labour unionists calling for the removal of INEC boss, Prof. Maurice Iwu, during a protest in Abuja, this morning. PHOTO: FEMI IPAYE.

Omar, who led thousands of protesters into the expansive headquarters of INEC in Maitama area of Abuja, said Iwu is one of the major obstalces that must be removed if Nigeria is to have a true electoral reform.

He also said that the Anambra State governorship election of 6 February, 2010 was a demonstration of the ineffectiveness of Iwu.

The rally, which began at about 9 a.m. today was attended by civil liberty organizations and labour unions including Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, members of Electoral Reform Network, the Trade Union Congress, among others.

Protesters carrying placards with inscriptions like “Iwu- Iwuruwuru, He Must Go Now”, “No 2011 Election with Iwu as Chairman,” “Iwu Is a thief,” “Iwu: Pack and go’’, “Maurice Iwu: the face of corruption and “Iwu Is a disgrace to humanity”.

The protesters started arriving at the headquarters of NLC in Abuja as at 7 O’clock. They were addressed by labour leaders, including the NLC president before they proceed to the INEC headquarters amidst huge police presence.

Other speakers include Professor Awuzie, the president of ASUU, who said that ASUU has resolved at a meeting held a week ago in Ogbomoso, Oyo State that Iwu Must Go. He also said ASUU has disowned Iwu.

“Nigerians are fed up with Iwu and we must move on without wasting time,” Awuzie said.

President of TUC, Peter Esele, condemned the campaign being sponsored by Iwu to remain in office.

According to Esele, The fact that Iwu is using public funds to campaign for his retention as INEC chairman is enough reason to sack him.

In the same vein, Comrade Lanre Arogundade, Coordinator of Electoral Reform Network said that Iwu has shown that no free and fair election can take place in Nigeria with him in the saddle.

Similarly, Comrade Eskor Toyo, veteran activist cum labour leader said labour must make a resolution to establish its own party.

Just as the protesters began a march to the National Assembly, Omar challenged Iwu to come forward with evidence of the N500 million bribe he alleged that the leadership of the labour union collected to organise the rally against him.

According to Omar, labour is already in court to defend its integrity over the allegation.

“We can’t accept the squandering of public funds to organise fraudulent elections by Iwu any longer,” Omar said, emphasizing that electoral reforms must be carried out before the 2011 elections.

The rally was orderly and peaceful although there was tight security by men of the Nigerian police at INEC headquarters in Abuja. However, the protesters were not molested.

http://thepmnews.com/2010/03/31/sack-iwu-now-labour-civil-society-groups-protest-in-abuja
Re: Sack Iwu Now; Labour, Civil Society Groups Protest In Abuja - Latest by Hardtalk: 10:27pm On Mar 31, 2010
Protesters.

Re: Sack Iwu Now; Labour, Civil Society Groups Protest In Abuja - Latest by Hardtalk: 11:02pm On Mar 31, 2010
I just wonder what Maurice Iwu still wants? The man that conducted the worst election on the surface of the earth.
Re: Sack Iwu Now; Labour, Civil Society Groups Protest In Abuja - Latest by Hardtalk: 11:03pm On Mar 31, 2010
Shameless man

Re: Sack Iwu Now; Labour, Civil Society Groups Protest In Abuja - Latest by metalgong5(m): 11:05pm On Mar 31, 2010
Iwo must not go, he is not the problem of INEC.
Re: Sack Iwu Now; Labour, Civil Society Groups Protest In Abuja - Latest by rebranded(m): 11:12pm On Mar 31, 2010
metal-gong:

You must be very stupid for that statement!
Re: Sack Iwu Now; Labour, Civil Society Groups Protest In Abuja - Latest by Nobody: 11:15pm On Mar 31, 2010
metal-gong:

It will be pointless arguing with you bout several court judgements where Elections were overturned, the judges openly scolded INECs role in Election Malpractice so this whole Iwu is not the problem campaign is at its best ridiculus. If I write an exam and score myself 90% and half of those exams are declared wrong my my lecturers, do i scold myself or do i keep tellig myself that am not the problem and blame the system? Iwu set himself up for failure by bragging, several Court judgements have proved him the woirst electorial officer, he is a big part of the problem
Re: Sack Iwu Now; Labour, Civil Society Groups Protest In Abuja - Latest by metalgong5(m): 2:00am On Apr 01, 2010
rebranded:

You must be very silly for that statement!

You must be an imbecil.le for not understanding the essence of freedom of speech. . . . . Ewu!! sad

aisha2:

It will be pointless arguing with you bout several court judgements where Elections were overturned, the judges openly scolded INECs role in Election Malpractice so this whole Iwu is not the problem campaign is at its best ridiculus. If I write an exam and score myself 90% and half of those exams are declared wrong my my lecturers, do i scold myself or do i keep tellig myself that am not the problem and blame the system? Iwu set himself up for failure by bragging, several Court judgements have proved him the woirst electorial officer, he is a big part of the problem

I still dont get your argument against Iwu;however, I must tell you that Prof Iwu remains the best choice to oversee the 2011 elections. He now has more experience than any potential nominee that might replace him. A little correction to the mistakes noticed in just conluded Anambra guber election, which was widely accepted as free and fair election, would likely yield a well accepted general elections in 2011.

Also what many Nigerians dont know is that the man who oversaw the last Ghananian general election which was widely accepted by the international community has been in that saddle for 18 years. Before he conducted the last election that was widely accepted, he had also conducted elections that was widely condemned by Ghananians and the international communities;incidentally, his last election proved that the theory of natural selection also applies to human occupations.
Re: Sack Iwu Now; Labour, Civil Society Groups Protest In Abuja - Latest by Kobojunkie: 2:04am On Apr 01, 2010
Iwu must go? You mean the Anambra election victory was not enough reason for the same Nigerians who forgave Dora, to forgive him? shocked shocked
Re: Sack Iwu Now; Labour, Civil Society Groups Protest In Abuja - Latest by Nobody: 2:44am On Apr 01, 2010
How far will this man called Abdulwaleed Omar mislead NLC? For 4 months this country has been in the dark about the whereabout of the President and Mr Omar said nothing. His claim? He does not want to heat up the polity. Well any kind of civil disobedience does heat up the polity and organising for the sack of Iwu does also heat up the polity. Omar should stop picking and choosing what issues to stand up for.

Mr Omar is the most compromised NLC Chairman I have seen in the history of Nigeria.

Has Maurice Iwu been a the best INEC Chairman? No. But a mere sack of the INEC Chairman will not change our electoral fortunes. Our problems are more fundamental than that. You can appoint Anyaoku or Mohamed Uwais or even Kofi Annan as INEC Boss but the fact remains that they will spend only a couple of months before the next general elections and are more or less at risk of repeating Maurice Iwu's mistakes in 2007.

On the evidence of Edo and Anambra, it is my honest view that it is possible to have better elections in 2011 if Maurice Iwu's INEC is duly supported by the security forces and if Politicians respect themselves.

We are a country of about 150million people, 36 states, over 700 LGAs and God Knows how many local councils and Wards. Maurice Iwu will only be at one place at a time and the rest of the process will now depend on the morality and attitudes of the rest of INEC officials, the Police officers, Politicians and Nigerian Citizens. Yes I do agree that a lot can be improved logistically before elections but constructive criticism and advice will be more helpful than calling for the sack of the INEC Boss every week.

Are we saying Maurice Iwu is responsible for all the Politicians who prefer to stockpile money to buy votes instead of campaigning for people's votes? is Maurice Iwu responsible for every thug in Nigeria who make themselves available on election day to scare people from polling centres? is Maurice responsible for all the police officers who refuse to protect the sanctity of the electoral process who choose to turn the other way while ballot boxes are stuffed by thugs?

Lets be honest. Nothing is easier than blaming someone else for all your problems, but lets do some soul searching here. Our electoral failures is a direct reflection of who we are, our attitudes, our greed, we can either face the truth and change or we can blame someone else for our problems but lets face it, after the next election if Maurice Iwu is eventually replaced we will have someone else to blame.

By the way need I remind you guys that since independence we have been unable to conduct a credible census. The last time I checked Muarice Iwu has never been in charge of that.

Maurice Iwu is not the best, but we can all play a small part in improving the electoral process no matter who the INEC Boss is. Its up to Jonathan Goodluck to sack Maurice Iwu or not renew his appointment if he likes. But politicians should desist from trying to select the INEC chairman. Its like a footballer trying to choose the referee before a football match. Abdulwaleed Omar on his part will do a better job for himself by checking the roles previous NLC Bosses played in Nigeria than allowing himself to be used and paid by Politicians to pursue all sorts of sinister agenda.
Re: Sack Iwu Now; Labour, Civil Society Groups Protest In Abuja - Latest by OYBMEND: 3:40am On Apr 01, 2010
ABDULWALEED OMAR, A PURE DISGRACE TO NLC

IWU IS ALREADY ON HIS WAY OUT

WHAT HAS MR OMAR SAID ABOUT THE AWOL PRESIDENT? YOUR GUESS IS AS GOOD AS MINE. NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS MAN HAS DESTROYED NLC
Re: Sack Iwu Now; Labour, Civil Society Groups Protest In Abuja - Latest by chosen04(f): 11:37am On Apr 01, 2010
aisha2:

Its appalling how you will hail Dora and attack a repentent IWU who just few days ago conducted a "fair" election in Anambra state.

Just like ur heroine Dora repented after more than 60 days and started telling the truth, Iwu too has repented as evidenced from the fair (s)election he conducted recently.

Seriously, People like you should stop setting different standard for public servants.
Re: Sack Iwu Now; Labour, Civil Society Groups Protest In Abuja - Latest by metalgong5(m): 11:57am On Apr 01, 2010
chosen04:

Its appalling how you will hail Dora and attack a repentent IWU who just few days ago conducted a "fair" election in Anambra state.

Just like your heroine Dora repented after more than 60 days and started telling the truth, Iwu too has repented as evidenced from the fair (s)election he conducted recently.

Seriously, People like you should stop setting different standard for public servants.

Thats the quintessential Nigerian mentality . . . . . . . different standard for different people.
Re: Sack Iwu Now; Labour, Civil Society Groups Protest In Abuja - Latest by chosen04(f): 12:30pm On Apr 01, 2010
metal-gong:

Thats the quintessential Nigerian mentality . . . . . . . different standard for different people.

I now understand why some people are called THIEVES and others KLEPTOMANICS.

Its all about Nigeria menality,
Re: Sack Iwu Now; Labour, Civil Society Groups Protest In Abuja - Latest by chosen04(f): 2:12pm On Apr 01, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Iwu must go? You mean the Anambra election victory was not enough reason for the same Nigerians who forgave Dora, to forgive him? shocked shocked

Its a case of:-

Klepto Saint DORA must be forgiven===

Thief Evil IWU must go====

I really see no hope!!!!!
Re: Sack Iwu Now; Labour, Civil Society Groups Protest In Abuja - Latest by Fhemmmy: 2:14pm On Apr 01, 2010
Nigerians are really waking up . . . .I love this new Nija jare

(1) (Reply)

Babangida Desperate; Says 'i'll Run Without P.d.p' / Breaking News! Jonathan Appoints Senator Sanni Yerima As Vice President / Niger Pdp Backs Out Of Ibb Declaration •as Ex-military Leader Begins Campaign:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.