Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,942 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education (35496 Views)

Ndidi & Mezuo Nwuneli First Couple To Deliver Keynote At Harvard Business School / Nemitari Ajienka Becomes The Youngest Lecturer At Edge Hill University, UK (Pic) / Salihu Dasuki Is Youngest Senior Lecturer At Sheffield Hallam University UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by bakynes(m): 8:55am On Dec 15, 2017
SicilianMafia:

When you marry into a family you also marry into the tribe abi norbe so?
See reasoning so if a Yoruba woman marries an Igbo man she automatically stops been Yoruba and now becomes Igbo hun? Besides her first husband is Olaniyi , her son's name is Olabayo Olaniyi.
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by bakynes(m): 9:00am On Dec 15, 2017
I have always wondered why some people bare Yoruba names but claim to be Edo. Is it that they fell under the influence of the Benin Empire and lost their identity.

Names like Dele Giwa,Tokubo Idowu aka T-boss

I need somebody with the knowledge to clarify this issue for me.
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by SicilianMafia: 9:02am On Dec 15, 2017
bakynes:
I have always wondered why some people bare Yoruba names but claim to be Edo. Is it that they fell under the influence of the Benin Empire and lost their identity.

This are Akoko Edo People on the boundary between Edo and the Ondo people ...

But Tokunbo is a pure Edo name Corrupted from Okunbor , by the Akoko Edo's
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by SicilianMafia: 9:03am On Dec 15, 2017
bakynes:

Forget the first husband he is inconsequential and its on record that he was a wife beater and very abusive go and read up on her biography, Well she's married to and Edo man now hence she has been Assimilated into the Edo Tribe
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by OROSUNBOLB(m): 9:04am On Dec 15, 2017
SicilianMafia:

She is married to an Edo Man , that's the connection abi you wanto claim her husband too? grin grin grin

So marrying an Edo man has changed the fact that she is Yoruba,abi? You're funny! I won't debate Mama with you 'cause you don't know what you're saying. I'm not 'forming any familiarity' with her as I don't need anything from her; she knows that too. Mtchew,edo ko,banana ni!

2 Likes

Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by UNFADINGG: 9:04am On Dec 15, 2017
Edoloaded:
she be benin oh not yoruba
Benin ke?? She's a kogite o

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by bakynes(m): 9:07am On Dec 15, 2017
SicilianMafia:

But Tokunbo is a pure Edo name Corrupted from Okunbor , by the Akoko Edo's
Akoko Edo people will say they are not Yorubas they bare the Yoruba names but the real Benin people don't bare Yoruba names. That means they are Yoruba people who have lost their Yoruba identity and now identify with the Edo people.
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by SicilianMafia: 9:09am On Dec 15, 2017
bakynes:

Akoko Edo people will say they are not Yorubas they bare the Yoruba names but the real Benin people don't bare Yoruba names.

Yes !! Its only Akoko Edo's who bear Yoruba sounding names in Edo
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by ronkeenuf(f): 9:10am On Dec 15, 2017
trekkie:
How can I get in touch with her? I want to interview her

Nike Art Gallery, Lekki Lagos
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by SicilianMafia: 9:12am On Dec 15, 2017
bakynes:

Akoko Edo people will say they are not Yorubas they bare the Yoruba names but the real Benin people don't bare Yoruba names. That means they are Yoruba people who have lost their Yoruba identity and now identify with the Edo people.

No , in Akoko Edo there are many other clans in there , thier language in not Yoruba but Ediod , but a small faction of them might have some Yoruba descent , but they always say they don't for reasons known to them
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by bakynes(m): 9:14am On Dec 15, 2017
SicilianMafia:

Yes !! Its only Akoko Edo's who bear Yoruba sounding names in Edo
Noted but this Woman Nike Okundaye is a Yoruba woman.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by SicilianMafia: 9:15am On Dec 15, 2017
bakynes:

Noted but this Woman Nike Okundaye is a Yoruba woman.

Yeah Yeah , cool down nobody dey follow u drag am cheesy
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by gabicon: 9:20am On Dec 15, 2017
Goodbye to the era of certificate economy and welcome to the era of skilled economy.
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by obatoro: 9:33am On Dec 15, 2017
Edoloaded:
she be benin oh not yoruba

She is from Kogi state, I know her personally. She lives in Osun, Don't know if she's still there. She is a very nice woman.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by Sankabson(m): 9:49am On Dec 15, 2017
jaysmallz:

Go to harvard na
Her Nigeria office is at Ikate Elegushi Roundabout, Lekki, Lagos,, Nike Art Gallery Building.
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by ivolt: 10:12am On Dec 15, 2017
musicwriter:

Not just because of problem of education in Nigeria, but because of the system of education handed down to Africa by white people, which doesn't allow us think outside the box.

We're trained to vilify anything we create, to consider our creation as inferior, to exalt white people. That's what the colonial masters told us to do. We were trained to believe the only thing we should consider valuable is what white people consider valuable.

The only reason we're even talking about this woman now is because white people thinks she's valuable. If white people didn't say so, we will all call her a useless illiterate.

Unfortunately, we're going to continue that way until we discard the colonial education handed down to us and create our own version of what education should be.

Your post shows exactly what is wrong with us: blaming
others for our failures.

In every part of the world except the religiously oppressing
ones, cultures of economically advanced nations are seen as
superior. Here, an educated person actually thinks that is a
problem. If you can't correctly identify a problem, how do you
intend to solve it?

Nobody trained you to see yourself as inferior, you are doing
a great job at teaching yourself by thinking you cannot have
and solve a problem without ane "enemy" being involved.

If you think the education "handed down" to you by whites
is faulty, never enroll your children in school and convince
your friends to do same to avoid repeating such problems.
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by ameh99: 10:15am On Dec 15, 2017
We can never get things right so long as we keep looking at anybody without paper qualification as an illiterate.
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by Nobody: 10:40am On Dec 15, 2017
CeoNewshelm:
Meet Nike Okundaye; 64-year-old Nigerian Batik & Textile designer who has no formal education but lectures at Harvard university.

http://www.newshelmng.com/2017/12/photo-meet-mrs-nike-okundaye-lecturer.html

cc lalasticlala mynd44

Dese Sophisticates aff started again oo. grin

Person whey get Masters degree no even dey qualified to lecture in American university...... On average na PhD whey de lecture in America.

Can u give us a link to this post maybe a British or American website? grin
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by ivolt: 11:00am On Dec 15, 2017
Ezyp:

Good. But now that our eyes are opened, what's stopping us from doing the right thing. Abi dem still dey scope us.

You really believed the content of that empty post?
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by musicwriter(m): 11:29am On Dec 15, 2017
ivolt:

Your post shows exactly what is wrong with us: blaming
others for our failures.

In every part of the world except the religiously oppressing
ones, cultures of economically advanced nations are seen as
superior. Here, an educated person actually thinks that is a
problem. If you can't correctly identify a problem, how do you
intend to solve it?

Nobody trained you to see yourself as inferior, you are doing
a great job at teaching yourself by thinking you cannot have
and solve a problem without ane "enemy" being involved.

If you think the education "handed down" to you by whites
is faulty, never enroll your children in school and convince
your friends to do same to avoid repeating such problems.

People like you is exactly the reason I've decided to write a book about this topic, because you don't understand what a sad situation we are. No, I' am not blaming white people, but I' am blaming an educated African so to speak, who haven't figured out the so called education was part and parcel of colonialism to keep us in the box. You honestly don't understand the damage that has been done. What a pity!.

Yes, we need discard western education because before Europeans arrived here we had our own system of education that we used to learn to solve our own problem our own way.

Unfortunately, Europeans got here and displaced our nations, governments, religions, education, culture, and superimposed it with theirs, in the process creating Euro-Afro hybrid individuals like you who've lost touch with your roots. Today, you now have the education they imposed and its the education itself that’s stopping us from discarding it, since that’s the only one we've known for a very long time, not realizing we can change it. Japan has done so. Vietnam has done so. China has done so, Korea has done so. These are countries that once upon a time were fully or partially also colonized.

And you have the gut to tell me I can't identify the problem? Its you that haven't identified the problem the education itself is a liability, not an asset!. And there's a psychological reason responsible for your inability to digest it. I will get to that.

Think of it this way. We use detergent (education) to wash clothes. We use detergents (education) to wash car. We use detergents (education) to wash dishes at home, e.t.c. But, how does one clean the detergent itself; when the detergent is dirty? Many people like you have chosen to go on using the dirty detergent as it could not be washed. This’s the puzzle we face.

Let me tell you, western education works with our mind and convinces us we need it, not realizing that Russians, Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese, Chinese, are also educated. The reason the Asians discarded western education was because; like the dirty detergent, they realized it wasn’t an asset to them, but a liability, so they discarded it. In Africa, we have not collectively reached that state of consciousness where we understand we have a dirty detergent. We haven’t considered the possibility that we have a dirty detergent thats polluting everything we wash, that’s why we still believe western education is an asset to us.

Sorry, I’ am not necessarily talking about you personally, so don’t take it personal. Honestly, I will excuse you if you don’t understand this. This is the most difficult concept for an educated African to interpret, because of man’s natural psychological/defense mechanism that makes it extremely difficult for the mind to give up anything it has accepted as fact, especially if it’s a widely held view like ‘’western education is not the problem’’. According to psychologists ‘’the human mind has a primitive ego defense mechanism that negates any evidence disproving any belief we hold dear’’.

As far as I’ am concerned, how to defeat this natural defensive mechanism to enable us realize education was and is still a tool for colonialism, is the biggest obstacle to development in Africa. Educated Africans like you must realize the education Europeans gave us was part of slavery and colonialism.

Educated people in Africa must realize education and slavery is mutually exclusive!. Educated people in Africa must understand education and colonialism is mutually exclusive!!. The Emir of Kano, Muhammad Sanusi II, said he do have a documented proof that Britain never wanted to give education to their colonies, because they said education was counter-productive to their goal. Europeans wouldn’t have given us the right education. The education itself is dirty and must be discarded. Again, this’s a difficult thing to understand, because of your natural defensive mechanism prompting you to defend your education. But, believe me, once you understand this, you’ll become a new person right from where you’re sitting.

But, the founding father of African independence, Lord Kwame Nkrumah, solved this puzzle and he said ‘’western education is a fraud’’. The founding father of African independence himself said western education is a fraud!. Nkrumah was just at the point where he could do something about changing the system of education in Africa, but the west immediately read his next move and he was over-thrown with the help of the American CIA. He was over-thrown because he has gone to Vietnam, one of the first Asian countries that discarded western education and installed their own version of learning. Vietnam was colonized by Netherlands and later France, but they reverted to learning in their own terms.

Again, the biggest threat to western establishments is the possibility of creating our own system of learning, because when we do we will create a population that thinks differently.

A system of education invented by us would create educated Africans without white people on our frame of reference for excellence, it would create population of Africans who think outside the box, people who will trust themselves and forget whether white people exist. This's the BIGGEST threat to western establishments.

You can read the link on my signature ’’intellectual slavery, the worst legacy of colonialism’’. And if you require even more information on this, please read the column ‘’education for underdevelopment’’ and also ‘’development by contradiction’’ in Walter Rodney’s book, How Europe underdeveloped Africa. I have it in e-book and can email it to you, if you like.

As long as the system of education continue to produce people who consider white people as our God, people who don't believe Africans can build our own airplane, invent our own system of education, go to moon, for so long are we going to be underdeveloped.

Colonialists are now apologizing to the indigenous people, but here you are totally unaware of the cultural imperialism still going on in your own eyes in the name of education.

Canadian Government Apologizes For giving wrong education to Indigenous People http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/11/AR2008061100419.html

Australia Says ‘Sorry’ to Aborigines for Mistreatment http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/13/world/asia/13aborigine.html

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by Nobody: 11:44am On Dec 15, 2017
embarassed
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by Nobody: 11:45am On Dec 15, 2017
Boerhavia:
Yoruba,from Osogbo but I think she has a connection with Kogi state too.

Her company and training school is in oshogbo. Her gallery is in lagos. She lived a long time in osogbo or still lives there, dont know.
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by Nobody: 11:52am On Dec 15, 2017
musicwriter:

Not just because of problem of education in Nigeria, but because of the system of education handed down to Africa by white people, which doesn't allow us think outside the box.

We're trained to vilify anything we create, to consider our creation as inferior, to exalt white people. That's what the colonial masters told us to do. We were trained to believe the only thing we should consider valuable is what white people consider valuable.

The only reason we're even talking about this woman now is because white people thinks she's valuable. If white people didn't say so, we will all call her a useless illiterate.

Unfortunately, we're going to continue that way until we discard the colonial education handed down to us and create our own version of what education should be.

Valid points
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by WORLDPEACE(m): 12:35pm On Dec 15, 2017
Ezyp:

Good. But now that our eyes are opened, what's stopping us from doing the right thing. Abi dem still dey scope us.
Who tell you say your eye don open?
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by baby124: 12:38pm On Dec 15, 2017
SicilianMafia:

But Tokunbo is a pure Edo name Corrupted
from Okunbor , by the Akoko Edo's
Tokunbo derived from Okunbor? Some of you just talk nonsense sha. Do you know what Tokunbo means?
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by Kulikulitapa: 1:05pm On Dec 15, 2017
musicwriter:

May God bless your entire generation
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by musicwriter(m): 1:08pm On Dec 15, 2017
Kulikulitapa:
May God bless your entire generation
Amen Hotep
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by jaggabban: 3:47pm On Dec 15, 2017
See flat-headds talking now ooo. If it were to be in Nigeria, they will say it can only happen in Nigeria cos Buhari has no certificate. Bunch of sh*ts.
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by ladiguy(m): 6:44pm On Dec 15, 2017
bakynes:

My brother am not this am not that is all political. When tides changes people will come back to their root or associate wherever their interest lies. Some many Yoruba from In kwara state change and associated with Northerners during the military eras (its all political, for political interest) but when we restructure in future. You shall see a new dimention and new alignment emanating from different angles
Re: PHOTO: Meet Mrs Nike Okundaye, A Lecturer At Harvard Without Formal Education by trekkie: 12:41am On Dec 16, 2017
jaysmallz:

Go to harvard na

Lol. Clown tongue cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Obinna Ebirim Robert Gordon University Member Of Governing Body: The Only Black / ICPC Rescued Female Student Who Had Spent 12 Years On Campus / Lagos To Employ 2,000 Primary School Teachers, Plans To Re-Open Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.