Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,692 members, 7,809,613 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:59 AM

Justice Oyewole Jails Another Ex-govt Official To 2 Years For Stealing - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Justice Oyewole Jails Another Ex-govt Official To 2 Years For Stealing (1134 Views)

Why I Fought On The Side Of Ojukwu, Biafra – Lt Fola Oyewole / No Ex-govt Official Should Leave Nigeria After May 29 – Yayale / Govt Official Stashes N2bn Loot In Residence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Justice Oyewole Jails Another Ex-govt Official To 2 Years For Stealing by AloyEmeka5: 9:15pm On Apr 01, 2010

[size=13pt]Court jails ex-Lagos LG boss 2 years for misappropriation of funds[/size]

Written by Yejide Gbenga-Ogundare
Thursday, April 1, 2010

Justice Olubunmi Oyewole of the Criminal Division of the Lagos High Court, sitting in Ikeja on Wednesday, sentenced a former Chairman of the Lagos Island Local Government under Chief Bola Tinubu's administration, Prince Lukman Ajose, to two years imprisonment for misappropriation of public funds without an option of fine.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/apr/1/609.html

Prince Ajose was arraigned before the court on July 17, 2007, by the Independent Corrupt Practices and other Related Offences Commission, (ICPC), on a six-count charge bordering on using public office to confer corrupt advantage on himself, an offence the commission said was contrary to and punishable under Section 19 of the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Officers Commission Act 2000.

Justice Oyewole found him guilty of four out of the six charges proffered against him and sentenced him to two years imprisonment on each of the count charges.

"I have considered the allocutus of the learned defence counsel as well as the entire circumstances of this case. Corruption has been broadly identified as a major impediment to the growth of our nation and has given to monstrous proportions. In that wise, every proven incidence thereof must not be treated with kid gloves if the monster is to be tamed.

"In the circumstances therefore, the defendant is hereby sentenced to two years imprisonment without option of fine on each of counts 1, 2, 5 and 6 respectively." Justice Oyewole said.

The judge added that the jail terms were to run concurrently.

One of the statements of offence said, "Prince Lukman Ajose (M) in June 2000 at Lagos being a public officer did use his office to confer corrupt advantage upon himself by collecting the sum of N183, 500.00 belonging to Lagos Island Local Government Council for purportedly attending a thre-day seminar organised by the Abuja Chambers of Commerce and Industry between 27th and 29th June 2000, which he never attended."

The total sum of money appropriated by the council boss was N1, 029, 550, 00.
Re: Justice Oyewole Jails Another Ex-govt Official To 2 Years For Stealing by AloyEmeka5: 11:33pm On Apr 01, 2010
Is he obsessed with 2 years?. I applaud him for his bravery in a corrupt system like the Nigerian judiciary but I think he should upgrade his punishment in order to make a statement about how serious things should be.
Re: Justice Oyewole Jails Another Ex-govt Official To 2 Years For Stealing by RICHIEBOI1(m): 12:43am On Apr 02, 2010
i believe this justice oyewole is the same judge that sentenced bode george and co. imagine 1m naira na im send this guy go jail. e be like say i go enter govt steal billions and do 2 yrs imprisonment come out and enjoy my billions abi!
Re: Justice Oyewole Jails Another Ex-govt Official To 2 Years For Stealing by DisGuy: 12:45am On Apr 02, 2010
Kudos to him atleast he is still sending them to jail with no option of a fine

It now upto the senators to sign the forfeiture bill, so their ill- gotten wealth can be returned to the government coffers

(1) (Reply)

Sss Arrests Asari Dokubo At Seme Border / . / Interesting Articles--President Of Nigeria In 2011-- April 22nd 1990 Coup:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.