Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,443 members, 7,819,639 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

Sss Arrests Asari Dokubo At Seme Border - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sss Arrests Asari Dokubo At Seme Border (1134 Views)

Asari Dokubo At Jonathan's Campaign Rally In Bayelsa / Custom Officers & Smugglers Fighting At Seme Border? / Bomb Found At Seme Border (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sss Arrests Asari Dokubo At Seme Border by lordbayor(m): 11:06am On Apr 26, 2010
A former president of the Ijaw Youths Council and former militant leader in the Niger Delta, Alhaji Asari Dokubo, has been arrested by security operatives at the Nigerian end of the Seme border with Republic of Benin.

Investigations revealed that Dokubo was coming into the country from Cotonou, when operatives of the State Security Service arrested him.

It was gathered that Dokubo was on his way to the country to honour invitations from the leadership of repentant militants in the Niger Delta, in an effort to achieve lasting peace in the region.

Dokubo had disagreed with the Federal Government on the granting of amnesty to ex-militants.

He opposed the use of the term ‘amnesty,’ just as he disagreed with other militant leaders for embracing the programme.

Specifically, Dokubo had said that he was not embracing the amnesty because he had not committed any offence.

Our correspondent gathered that Asari had already completed his entry formalities with the men of the Nigeria Customs Service at the border, and was being attended to by an immigration officer identified as Isah, when he was arrested by operatives of the SSS.

The source could not disclose the reason for Dokubo’s arrest.

It was further learnt that there was a stampede at the border as Dokubo refused to honour the directive of the SSS to alight from his black Prado Jeep with a Benin Republic number.

He was said to have stayed inside the car for over three hours, as the operatives did not try to drag him out.

The source said, “He was coming into the country from Cotonou when they (SSS) stopped him. He has been there for the past three hours. He is still in his car.

“The security agents did not want his car to come into the country. He did not accept amnesty. He said that he did not embrace amnesty, because he did not commit any offence. I think since he left the country, he has been living in Europe.”

A former member of the Ondo State House of Assembly and erstwhile National Public Relations Officer of IYC, Mr. Kingsley Kuku, confirmed the incident on the telephone to our correspondent on Sunday.

Kuku, who is also the secretary of the Committee on Peace and Conflict Resolution in the Niger Delta, said that Dokubo was in the country in response to invitations from key stakeholders in the Niger Delta.

He said, “Well, I can confirm that he is being held by operatives of the SSS at the Seme border.

“He was coming to Nigeria because core stakeholders, who are keen on finding a lasting solution to the issue of restiveness, wanted him to be part of the peace process.

“You know he did not accept amnesty but we believe that everybody should be involved in the drive for permanent peace in the region, to ensure that the peace process is total.”

But when contacted, the SSS denied knowledge of the incident.

Its spokesperson, Mrs. Marylyn Ogar, said, “I don’t have any information on that. I don’t.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20100426553060
Re: Sss Arrests Asari Dokubo At Seme Border by labiyemmy(m): 11:11am On Apr 26, 2010
good for him.
Re: Sss Arrests Asari Dokubo At Seme Border by safeact(m): 12:20pm On Apr 26, 2010
Too bad! What has he done to deserve arrest. Thats is violation of human right. He should b released at once!
Re: Sss Arrests Asari Dokubo At Seme Border by Nobody: 12:22pm On Apr 26, 2010
I don't think this has nothing to do with his refusal of the amnesty offer. I guess Jonathan is trying to crack down on his perceived enemies from Sylva to Alams to Asari Dokubo etc.
Re: Sss Arrests Asari Dokubo At Seme Border by becomricha: 12:29pm On Apr 26, 2010
katsina state.

A former member of the Ondo State House of Assembly and erstwhile National Public Relations Officer of IYC, Mr. Kingsley Kuku, confirmed the incident on the telephone to our correspondent on Sunday.

Look you Jonathan is going to be in canada in some weeks time. And hopefully, He would attend a townhall meeting.  and if he as the time. we would show him how the pictures are been generated. And If Jonathan agrees , Nigerian abroad can hold a town hall meeting. And Jonathan can be there and all Nigerian living in Canada can come and see how the satellite pictures  are been generated and why the north is a minority. only based on if Jonathan agree to attend the town hall meeting.

If jonathan agrees, he should bring along david mark and makama(NPC), Chairman of Arewa consultive forum, Oheneze etc to see with his eyes. and any critic, that does not believe the north is a minority is welcome to come along with them. .

Please Jonathan should bring Imo state governor, katsina, Kano state governor,kaduna state,jigawa,bauchi,abia state governor. So that they would be noone in doubt to the population.

We miss an opportunity when he came to the USA to show him the pictures. The north is a minority.

If you see with your eyes, you would believe the north is a minority.

Re: Sss Arrests Asari Dokubo At Seme Border by safeact(m): 12:37pm On Apr 26, 2010
We should not associate d arrest with GJ. It is still on d cabal issue. D young man is plain in his pursuit and i think it is those who doesnt want d real amnesty terms to strive that are behind his arrest becos they are scared of what they stand to loose!
Re: Sss Arrests Asari Dokubo At Seme Border by princekevo(m): 12:42pm On Apr 26, 2010
becomricha:

katsina state.

Look you Jonathan is going to be in canada in some weeks time. And hopefully, He would attend a townhall meeting. and if he as the time. we would show him how the pictures are been generated. And If Jonathan agrees , Nigerian abroad can hold a town hall meeting. And Jonathan can be there and all Nigerian living in Canada can come and see how the satellite pictures are been generated and why the north is a minority. only based on if Jonathan agree to attend the town hall meeting.

If jonathan agrees, he should bring along david mark and makama(NPC), Chairman of Arewa consultive forum, Oheneze etc to see with his eyes. and any critic, that does not believe the north is a minority is welcome to come along with them. .

Please Jonathan should bring Imo state governor, Kano state governor,kaduna state,jigawa,bauchi,abia state governor. So that they would be noone in doubt to the population.

We miss an opportunity when he came to the USA to show him the pictures. The north is a minority.

If you see with your eyes, you would believe the north is a minority.
How did you get loose again from your chain?

@ Topic
But when contacted, the SSS denied knowledge of the incident.

Its spokesperson, Mrs. Marylyn Ogar, said, “I don’t have any information on that. I don’t.”

I think by now Nigerians should be tired of all these half baked and unconfirmed stories by Nigerian journalist.
Probably Asari was delayed for 3hrs at Seme border, they quickly concluded it to be an arrest.
How can someone like Asari be arrested by the SSS and the same SSS and its spokes person has no knowledge of it.
At the end of the story we dont know if he is still in their custody(that is if he was indeed arrested) or released.
Re: Sss Arrests Asari Dokubo At Seme Border by snowdrops(m): 1:37pm On Apr 26, 2010
princekevo:

How did you get loose again from your chain?

Now thats harsh sad

@ Topic.
I guess its only a matter of a short time before he is released.
These are only intimidatory tactics
Re: Sss Arrests Asari Dokubo At Seme Border by deor03(m): 3:01pm On Apr 26, 2010
princekevo:

I think by now Nigerians should be tired of all these half baked and unconfirmed stories by Nigerian journalist.
Probably Asari was delayed for 3hrs at Seme border, they quickly concluded it to be an arrest.
How can someone like Asari be arrested by the SSS and the same SSS and its spokes person has no knowledge of it.
At the end of the story we dont know if he is still in their custody(that is if he was indeed arrested) or released.

Tired Already
Re: Sss Arrests Asari Dokubo At Seme Border by becomricha: 3:14pm On Apr 26, 2010
I have been saying what I do say for many years. I went to nigeria. Is danladi bako still alive. he has been quiet.
Re: Sss Arrests Asari Dokubo At Seme Border by Nigerd(m): 6:42pm On Apr 26, 2010
@labiyemmy:

good for him.

Why?
Re: Sss Arrests Asari Dokubo At Seme Border by Nobody: 7:03pm On Apr 26, 2010
i thought this useless guy denied nigeria.what is he coming here for now?

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan’s Untold Story - Alamieyeseigha / Will You Vote Her As The Next Governor? / Nigeria: 15 Cameroonians, Nigerian, Die In Petrol Smuggling Explosion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.