Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,053 members, 7,953,183 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:59 AM

$1 Billion: 'Excess Crude account is Illegal' - House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / $1 Billion: 'Excess Crude account is Illegal' - House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila (15799 Views)

Only $323.7m Left In Nigeria’s Excess Crude Account - FAAC / Battle For Senate Leader, House Leader,others Hots Up / ‘Where Is The $65bn Obasanjo Left In Excess Crude Account?’ Amaechi Fires At GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: $1 Billion: 'Excess Crude account is Illegal' - House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila by aariwa(m): 1:30pm On Dec 18, 2017
Gbajabiamila is a core tinubu man.I laugh at people who still think tinubu would be fooled a second time by buhari
Re: $1 Billion: 'Excess Crude account is Illegal' - House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila by AZeD1(m): 1:32pm On Dec 18, 2017
three:
Really?

Most readers 'hailing' this man are hailing him for the wrong thing. They should be hailing his intellectual double face.

On one hand he claims the account is illegal and that he instituted a case against it (GEJ administration)

On the other, the National Assembly has no right to query (Buhari's administration)

What happened to National Assembly's role in financial oversight?

He has simply argued his way out of any commitment to preventing this brazen theft of National resources while supposedly looking good doing it.
Read the article again but this time, slowly.
Re: $1 Billion: 'Excess Crude account is Illegal' - House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila by AZeD1(m): 1:34pm On Dec 18, 2017
ogtavia:
If the ECA is illegal how then does it belong to the three tiers of government...this man just contradicted himself...if the illegality of the ECA goes beyond its nomenclature i.e in practice / operation / disbursement then I believe every point he raised there are pointless...For me i have nothing against saving for the rainy days or for frugal purposes however i am purely against diversion of funds from their main purpose in this case the so - called $1bn ECA funds. Lest we forget, certain oil producing countries have institutions/politicians akin to the ECA in our case ,Norway for instance..
The ECA contains money that should be shared by the 3 tier of government. It should ordinarily be in the federation's account.
Re: $1 Billion: 'Excess Crude account is Illegal' - House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila by bejeria101(m): 1:46pm On Dec 18, 2017
Tell that to the dull.ard that would be 75 for the next 5yrs
Re: $1 Billion: 'Excess Crude account is Illegal' - House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila by lilytender: 2:07pm On Dec 18, 2017
LordGuru1:
I just love this Man. Yet Igbos and Yorubas have refused to see the urgent need to unite as One to prevent their future Generation from being perpetually enslaved. The earlier Southerners; Igbos, Yorubas, others do away with senseless enemity and unite the better for Sothern Nigeria, else... I perfectly agree with this guy.

If you are a true son of your father, go and slap a mallam selling suya and come back and tell me what happened thereafter. Always fighting imaginary enemies. Northerners are not fighting with you, so why fighting yourself?

2 Likes

Re: $1 Billion: 'Excess Crude account is Illegal' - House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila by DMathematical: 2:21pm On Dec 18, 2017
I love intelligent arguments! This is a very sound line of thinking by Gbajabiamila

1 Like

Re: $1 Billion: 'Excess Crude account is Illegal' - House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila by DMathematical: 2:28pm On Dec 18, 2017
That is a myopic understanding of human nature. . . Identical twins like PSquare can quarrel so badly to the point of punches. Then you believe Nigeria, southerners, Igbo, or any other group of humans can live together without deep acrimony?? . . . Sorry! God didn't create us like that. Learn to work out the situation you have.

LordGuru1:
I just love this Man. Yet Igbos and Yorubas have refused to see the urgent need to unite as One to prevent their future Generation from being perpetually enslaved. The earlier Southerners; Igbos, Yorubas, others do away with senseless enemity and unite the better for Sothern Nigeria, else... I perfectly agree with this guy.
Re: $1 Billion: 'Excess Crude account is Illegal' - House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila by bigtt76(f): 2:34pm On Dec 18, 2017
Just look at this one ....is he saying that its better for the governors to go and ask permission from the State House of Assembly before appropriation of the ECA? He thinks the State House of Assembly will reject the request? SMH ....we have problems in this country shaaaaa.

stephanie11:
House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila has reacted to the recent $1 billion withdrawal from the Excess Crude Account(ECA). The House of representatives member wrote on social media;

"It is important that the legality of the withdrawal of $1b from the Excess Crude Account is properly understood.

1. The ECA I have always maintained is an illegal account and I instituted a court action against it during then Jonathan administration.

2. Unfortunately, until a final decision has been made by the courts the account is still operative.

3. There is a clear misunderstanding of the powers of the National Assembly over public funds and its limitations.

4. The National Assembly only has power of appropriation over monies belonging to the federal government.

5. The ECA does not belong to the federal government but to the 3 tiers of government.

6. The National Assembly cannot query how the states decide to spend their money. The only institution that can query this is the state assembly.

7. Where the Governors have decided to “donate” some of their funds from the ECA to fight Boko Haram, their state assemblies can kick against it that such was not appropriated by them. I do agree that due process wasn’t followed by The Governors as they should have sought approval of their states before the donation.

It is however not for the NASS to complain on behalf of the State Assemblies. This is part of the principle of separation of powers in a constitutional democracy. The National Assembly can only discuss the portion of the federal government money spent if any.

On whether Gov Fayose or any other Gov has a right to kick I believe he does. No matter how inappropriate if he does not accede to the request or deduction from his state's portion there is no amount of consensus that can bind him as postulated by the Chairman of the Governors forum because such portion belongs to his state and not to the Governors forum. So he may be entitled to a refund.

This is my position on this legality of the withdrawal of $1b from the ECA.

https://politicsngr.com/2017/12/18/house-leader-gbajabiamila-defends-1-billion-eca-tackles-fayose/
Re: $1 Billion: 'Excess Crude account is Illegal' - House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila by maasoap(m): 2:38pm On Dec 18, 2017
stephanie11:
House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila has reacted to the recent $1 billion withdrawal from the Excess Crude Account(ECA). The House of representatives member wrote on social media;

7. Where the Governors have decided to “donate” some of their funds from the ECA to fight Boko Haram, their state assemblies can kick against it that such was not appropriated by them. I do agree that due process wasn’t followed by The Governors as they should have sought approval of their states before the donation.

It is however not for the NASS to complain on behalf of the State Assemblies. This is part of the principle of separation of powers in a constitutional democracy. The National Assembly can only discuss the portion of the federal government money spent if any.

On whether Gov Fayose or any other Gov has a right to kick I believe he does. No matter how inappropriate if he does not accede to the request or deduction from his state's portion there is no amount of consensus that can bind him as postulated by the Chairman of the Governors forum because such portion belongs to his state and not to the Governors forum. So he may be entitled to a refund.

This is my position on this legality of the withdrawal of $1b from the ECA.

https://politicsngr.com/2017/12/18/house-leader-gbajabiamila-defends-1-billion-eca-tackles-fayose/
But you're complaining on their behalf now. NASS simply wants their own bites, simple.
Re: $1 Billion: 'Excess Crude account is Illegal' - House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila by maasoap(m): 2:41pm On Dec 18, 2017
chloride6:
Anybody that thinks that the governors agreed to "donate" their funds to the federal government is a MUGU..

The president just provided adequate reason for the governors to put their hand in the ECA...

Expect them to ask for their own $1 billion before new year grin grin grin grin
You might be right.
Re: $1 Billion: 'Excess Crude account is Illegal' - House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila by emmie14: 2:44pm On Dec 18, 2017
The Lagos State Governor, Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu, yesterday joined issues with the Federal Ministry of Finance and the Central Bank of Nigeria (CB N) over the recent face-off between the different tiers of government on the excess crude oil sales reserve account of US$ 1. 8 billion which is about N198 billion" so why Tinubu supporting Buhari now that $1.8b is equivalent to #648b
Re: $1 Billion: 'Excess Crude account is Illegal' - House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila by Goldmuq: 2:53pm On Dec 18, 2017

Re: $1 Billion: 'Excess Crude account is Illegal' - House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila by ogtavia(m): 3:02pm On Dec 18, 2017
AZeD1:

The ECA contains money that should be shared by the 3 tier of government. It should ordinarily be in the federation's account.
I apologise for my post...i completely missed the point..had to read the OP's post all over again...Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: $1 Billion: 'Excess Crude account is Illegal' - House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila by Blue3k(m): 3:05pm On Dec 18, 2017

They won't though. They rarely question anything they do. That's not NASS fault people elect idiots on state level.

No matter how inappropriate if he does not accede to the request or deduction from his state's portion there is no amount of consensus that can bind him as postulated by the Chairman of the Governors forum because such portion belongs to his state and not to the Governors forum. So he may be entitled to a refund.

Will he demand refund of his portion? It would be interesting.

2 Likes

Re: $1 Billion: 'Excess Crude account is Illegal' - House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila by Nobody: 3:51pm On Dec 18, 2017
LordGuru1:

It is not the Yoruba's problem, it is the Ibos that are yet to come to term with situation on ground. Some months ago, Ambode hosted Southern States Governors forum in Lagos, the meeting was co - hosted by Akwa - Ibom State governor. PMB was out of the country but returned few hours to the commencement of the meeting. On nairaland here, the Ibos insulted & assaulted the Yorubas that night. One thousand ants cannot lift a cube of Sugar. Later, they will understand.

2 Likes

Re: $1 Billion: 'Excess Crude account is Illegal' - House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila by deji17: 6:23pm On Dec 18, 2017
Presidents will come and go. Important thing is to do the right thing for the country and her people.
Re: $1 Billion: 'Excess Crude account is Illegal' - House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila by CioAngels(f): 8:15pm On Dec 18, 2017
They all know is illegal, but pushing it and see if it will go through after trying several stealing that failed. I still call this Northern Movement.
Re: $1 Billion: 'Excess Crude account is Illegal' - House Leader, Femi Gbajabiamila by uzomagic(m): 10:52pm On Dec 18, 2017
The Excess Crude Account is an innovative facility to prepare for the rainy day. Perhaps the National Assembly should do all it needs to do to legalize it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

NNPC Names 15 Successful Consortia For Crude Oil Lifting / Democracy Built On Ethnicity Does Not Endure — It’ll Continue To Wobble - GEJ / We Didn't Threaten To Kill Jonathan - Boko Haram (transcript Of Youtube Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.