Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,616 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:20 PM

Why is Witchcraft, Juju and Charms illegal still? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why is Witchcraft, Juju and Charms illegal still? (2062 Views)

Juju Priestesses At Edo Assembly, Curse Obaseki’s Enemies / FLASHBACK: When The NDDC Chairman Spent N715 Milion On Juju And Rituals. / Arrests15 Yahoo Boys With Coffins And Charms (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why is Witchcraft, Juju and Charms illegal still? by Blue3k(m): 4:04am On Dec 19, 2017
Chapter 20 of the Nigerian criminal code crimalizes acts pertaining to illegal ordeals, witch craft, juju and criminal charms. Does Nigerian society do we still believe in witchcraft, juju and magical charms? Even if Nigerians do can these crimes prosecuted in court of law beyond a reasonable doubt. It would be pretty difficult to prove how charms derive their power for example. There are parts of the act that will remain because it would be illegal anyway like having human remains.

Does Nigeria need these set of laws on book?

Chapter 20: Ordeal, Witchcraft, Juju and Criminal Charms

207. (1) The trial by the ordeal of sasswood, esere-bean, or other poison, boiling oil, fire, immersion in water or exposure to the attacks of crocodiles or other wild animals, or by any ordeal which is likely to result in the death of or bodily injury to any party to the proceeding is unlawful.

(2) The State Commissioner may by order prohibit the worship or invocation of any juju which may appear to him to involve, or tend towards the commission of any crime or breach of peace, or to the spread of any infectious or contagious disease.

208. Any person who directs or controls or presides at any trial by ordeal which is unlawful is guilty of a felony, and is liable, when the trial which such person directs, controls or presides at results in the death of any party to the proceeding, to the punishment of death, and in every other case to imprisonment for ten years.

209. Any person who-

(a) is present at or takes part in any trial by ordeal which is unlawful; or

(b) makes, sells or assists or takes part in making or selling, or has in his possession for sale or use any poison or thing which is intended to be used for the purpose of any trial by ordeal which is unlawful;

is guilty of a misdemeanour, and is liable to imprisonment for one year.

210. Any person who-

(a) by his statements or actions represents himself to be a witch or to have the power of witchcraft; or

(b) accuses or threatens to accuse any person with being a witch or with having the power of witchcraft; or

(c) makes or sells or uses, or assists or takes part in making or selling or using, or has in his possession or represents himself to be in possession of any juju, drug or charm which is intended to be used or reported to possess the power to prevent or delay any person from doing an act which such person has a legal right to do, or to compel any person to do an act which such person has a legal right to refrain from doing, or which is alleged or reported to possess the power of causing any natural phenomenon or any disease or epidemic; or

(d) directs or controls or presides at or is present at or takes part in the worship or invocation of any juju which is prohibited by an order of the State Commissioner; or

(e) is in possession of or has control over any human remains which are used or are intended to be used in connection with the worship of invocation of any juju; or

(f)  makes or uses or assists in making or using, or has in his possession anything whatsoever the making, use or possession of which has been prohibited by an order as being or believed to be associated with human sacrifice or other unlawful practice;

is guilty of a misdemeanour, and is liable to imprisonment for two years.

211. Any chief who directly or indirectly permits, promotes, encourages or facilitates any trial by ordeal which is-'unlawful, or the worship or invocation of any juju which has been prohibited by an order, or who, knowing of such trial, worship or invocation, or intended trial, worship or invocation, does not forthwith report the same to an administrative officer is guilty of a felony, and is liable to imprisonment for three years.

The offender cannot be arrested without warrant.

212. Any house, grove or place in which it has been customary to hold any trial by ordeal which is unlawful, or the worship or invocation of any juju which is prohibited by an order, may, together with all articles found therein, be destroyed or erased upon the order of any court by such persons as the court may direct.

213. Any person who-

(a) makes, sells or keeps for sale or for hire or reward, any fetich or charm which is pretended or reputed to possess power to protect burglars, robbers, thieves or other malefactors, or to aid or assist in any way in the perpetration of any burglary, housebreaking, robbery or theft, or in the perpetration of any offence whatsoever, or to prevent, hinder or delay the detection of or conviction for any offence whatsoever; or

(b) is found having in his possession without lawful and reasonable excuse (the proof of which excuse shall lie on such person) any such fetish or charm as aforesaid,

is guilty of a felony, and is liable to imprisonment for five years.

Nigerian criminal code: http://www.nigeria-law.org/CriminalmCodeAct-PartIII-IV.htm#Chapter20

Front Page: lalasticlala Mynd44
Re: Why is Witchcraft, Juju and Charms illegal still? by SalamRushdie: 4:11am On Dec 19, 2017
Have you ever patronised Juju maker in past ? An honest answer will give me an insight on how to treat your question.
Re: Why is Witchcraft, Juju and Charms illegal still? by Blue3k(m): 4:17am On Dec 19, 2017
SalamRushdie:
Have you ever patronised Juju maker in past ? An honest answer will give me an insight on how to treat your question.

No I don't believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter bunny or whatever weird nonsense like that. How can a grown man believe magic? Only lazy, evil or dumb people can subscribe to idea of getting something for nothing. Evil in sense you abuse animals burying them in ground or harming your fellow man for riches. You have to be dumb and lazy to patratonize some hungry juju man that's living in a backwater thinking he's going give you a magic solution to your problems. I never patronized those guy and never will.

Feel free to answer question.

Cc: 9jaDoc

1 Like

Re: Why is Witchcraft, Juju and Charms illegal still? by Nobody: 4:48am On Dec 19, 2017
Blue3k:

No I don't believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter bunny or whatever weird nonsense like that. How can a grown man believe magic? Only lazy, evil or dumb people can subscribe to idea of getting something for nothing. Evil in sense you abuse animals burying them in ground or harming fellow man for riches. You have to be dumb and lazy to patratonize some hungry juju man that's living in backwater thinking he's going give u a magic solution to your problems.

small pikin see jazz dey call am ugwu and water leaf. Oga no go some rural places like beere in Ibadan go dey talk this kain thing. Freedom after speech they can assure you but freedom after speech they won't. If you think they can't solve your problems keep the opinion to yourself. Some people can't solve but they can be the genesis of it. Government wey put am there you think say them no get sense? You know wetin their eye don see? These are your founding fathers. They made the law. I should believe they know better

PS notice salam never answered? You are smarter than allowing foul words into an educative argument

2 Likes

Re: Why is Witchcraft, Juju and Charms illegal still? by tsdarkside(m): 4:50am On Dec 19, 2017
Blue3k:

No I don't believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter bunny or whatever weird nonsense like that. How can a grown man believe magic? Only lazy, evil or dumb people can subscribe to idea of getting something for nothing. Evil in sense you abuse animals burying them in ground or harming fellow man for riches. You have to be dumb and lazy to patratonize some hungry juju man that's living in backwater thinking he's going give u a magic solution to your problems.

look at you....from were do you think your pastors learn their petty tricks from..??...
Re: Why is Witchcraft, Juju and Charms illegal still? by agwom(m): 4:52am On Dec 19, 2017
Re: Why is Witchcraft, Juju and Charms illegal still? by Blue3k(m): 5:05am On Dec 19, 2017
cummando:
small pikin see jazz dey call am ugwu and water leaf. Oga no go some rural places like beere in Ibadan go dey talk this kain thing. Freedom after speech they can assure you but freedom after speech they won't. If you think they can't solve your problems keep the opinion to yourself. Some people can't solve but they can be the genesis of it. Government wey put am there you think say them no get sense? You know wetin their eye don see? These are your founding fathers. They made the law. I should believe they know better

PS notice salam never answered? You are smarter than allowing foul words into an educative argument

Wow you're pretty sensitive. I answered his initial question and your foaming at mouth like religious zealot. I don't care about how u spend money or if you believe in magical potions. You and your cultist forefathers can uphold tradition of believing in magic ugwu leaves and spirit water.

Anyway I see you're for laws because you believe in magic. Thats ok.

tsdarkside:

look at you....from were do you think your pastors learn their petty tricks from..??...

Don't include me in your delusions child. I'm not interested in discussing theology. Just answer question pertaining to original post.
Re: Why is Witchcraft, Juju and Charms illegal still? by Nobody: 5:12am On Dec 19, 2017
There are some people you need to avoid Blue3k. Its obvious you woke up with an ulcer...in the brain.
Re: Why is Witchcraft, Juju and Charms illegal still? by tsdarkside(m): 5:15am On Dec 19, 2017
Blue3k:

Wow you're pretty sensitive. I answered his initial question and your foaming at mouth like religious zealot. I don't care about how u spend money or if you believe in magical potions. You and your cultist forefathers can uphold tradition of believing in magic ugwu leaves and spirit water.

Do you feel witchcraft and juju should be in criminal code?

Don't include me in your delusions child. I'm not interested in discussing theology. Just answer question pertaining to original post.

back to topic....i dont know.....but forgeting the supernatural is a mistake too.... undecided

talk with kingsango,he deals with such things....
Re: Why is Witchcraft, Juju and Charms illegal still? by 9jaDoc(f): 6:35am On Dec 19, 2017
Blue3k:

No I don't believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter bunny or whatever weird nonsense like that. How can a grown man believe magic? Only lazy, evil or dumb people can subscribe to idea of getting something for nothing. Evil in sense you abuse animals burying them in ground or harming fellow man for riches. You have to be dumb and lazy to patratonize some hungry juju man that's living in backwater thinking he's going give u a magic solution to your problems. I never patronized those guy and never will.

The code criminalizes ACTS, which can include human sacrifice. It does not criminalize BELIEF. So I think it's ok.
Re: Why is Witchcraft, Juju and Charms illegal still? by Blue3k(m): 6:51am On Dec 19, 2017
9jaDoc:

The code criminalizes ACTS, which can include human sacrifice. It does not criminalize BELIEF. So I think it's ok.

Human sacrifice is already illegal we call it murder. Yes it does crimalize the beliefs and relies on someone believing in magical powers of these thing. I'll cite laws.

How do you express beliefs eccept by words or actions. You can prove someone is drugged. How do you prove someone used juju to control your mind or body? Lastly how do you prove these charms work beyond reasonable doubt in courtroom. The easiet defense would be the charms dont work or my client wouldnt be sitting in court today.

(a) by his statements or actions represents himself to be a witch or to have the power of witchcraft; or

(b) accuses or threatens to accuse any person with being a witch or with having the power of witchcraft; or

(c) makes or sells or uses, or assists or takes part in making or selling or using, or has in his possession or represents himself to be in possession of any juju, drug or charm which is intended to be used or reported to possess the power to prevent or delay any person from doing an act which such person has a legal right to do, or to compel any person to do an act which such person has a legal right to refrain from doing, or which is alleged or reported to possess the power of causing any natural phenomenon or any disease or epidemic; or

213:

makes, sells or keeps for sale or for hire or reward, any fetich or charm which is pretended or reputed to possess power to protect burglars, robbers, thieves or other malefactors, or to aid or assist in any way in the perpetration of any burglary, housebreaking, robbery or theft, or in the perpetration of any offence whatsoever, or to prevent, hinder or delay the detection of or conviction for any offence whatsoever; or
Re: Why is Witchcraft, Juju and Charms illegal still? by Osucoward: 6:53am On Dec 19, 2017
cummando:

He hasn’t been to Okrika shrine in Anambra where they eat human flesh to make money.

Juju is real o
Re: Why is Witchcraft, Juju and Charms illegal still? by 9jaDoc(f): 6:53am On Dec 19, 2017
Blue3k:

Humsn sacrifice is already illegal we call it murder. Yes it does crimalize the beliefs and relies on someone believing in magical powers of these thing. I'll cite laws.

How do you express beliefs eccept by words or actions. You can prove someone is drugged. How do you prove someone used juju to control your mind or body? Lastly how do you prove these charms work beyond reasonable doubt in courtroom. The easiet defense would be tge charms dont work or my client wouldnt be sitting in court today.

I see your point. It's a stupid law
Re: Why is Witchcraft, Juju and Charms illegal still? by Blue3k(m): 12:00pm On Dec 19, 2017
9jaDoc:

I see your point. It's a stupid law

Lol its funny you were only person interested in topic instead of telling me about your theological belief.

Osucoward:

He hasn’t been to Okrika shrine in Anambra where they eat human flesh to make money.

Juju is real o

Im not interested in theology. Is the law still neccessay in 2017. You dont need witchcraft laws to convict murders or people decicrating a corpse. Did you read laws or just have knee jerk reaction like your friends?

1 Like

Re: Why is Witchcraft, Juju and Charms illegal still? by Blue3k(m): 2:04pm On Dec 27, 2017
What makes witches and juju practices different in eyes of law to what ever other religious or cultism people practice? If this went to supreme court Im pretty sure most of these laws would hold up. The laws are impossible to prove and or violate rights.
Re: Why is Witchcraft, Juju and Charms illegal still? by Blue3k(m): 12:07am On May 22, 2019
Bump
Re: Why is Witchcraft, Juju and Charms illegal still? by Blue3k(m): 10:11pm On Sep 06, 2019
Charlie Boy recently called Buhari a whitch. If Buhari was petty or knew law he could sue him. Under the same criminal code its illegal to accuse people of such. Such a law shouldn't exist in my opinion. Its shouldn't different from calling someone a demon dragon or snake. If some calls you thief, murder or rapist you can sue for liable. Im assuming this law would stand because whitchcraft is a crime.

210. Any person who-

(a) by his statements or actions represents himself to be a witch or to have the power of witchcraft; or

is guilty of a misdemeanour, and is liable to imprisonment for two years.
Re: Why is Witchcraft, Juju and Charms illegal still? by Blue3k(m): 8:33am On Jul 05, 2021
Lol if anyone is wondering why police always feel the need to mention why people have charms when arrested here's why. Lol its funny charms have no been a popular topic after watching idiots get killed by the police. Instead of investing in bullet proof vest they decided to buy charms like mumu.

My opion on the matter hasn't changed the laws unnecessary, unenforceable and unconstitutional.

Front page: Lalasticlala Mynd44
Re: Why is Witchcraft, Juju and Charms illegal still? by Blue3k(m): 10:21pm On Nov 27, 2021
Bump
Re: Why is Witchcraft, Juju and Charms illegal still? by AleleOgor(m): 10:36pm On Nov 27, 2021
Okay

(1) (Reply)

For Those Abusing Rochas Okorocha - Pic / Easter: Ugwuanyi Preaches Peace, Love, Unity, Progress / Akeredolu, His Daughter's Mauritius Wedding And Nigerians Poverty Mentality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.