Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,174 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:49 AM

Welcome To Lagos: How Nigeria's Dirt Poor Scratch A Living - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Welcome To Lagos: How Nigeria's Dirt Poor Scratch A Living (2682 Views)

How Nigeria Must Deal With Biafra - Cramjones / Photos Of Gov. Ayo Fayose Clearing Dirt In A Drainage During Sanitation Exercise / FG Digging Up Dirt On Buhari, Tinubu — ACN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Welcome To Lagos: How Nigeria's Dirt Poor Scratch A Living by Nobody: 1:09am On Apr 04, 2010

Esther Ogunleke gets ready to go to church outside her house on the beach in Lagos, Nigeria. Photograph: BBC/Keo Films/Jacob Silberberg/Panos Pictures

It is initially hard to see why Lagos has been called the "megacity of the future", with the potential to become the "Singapore of Africa". There's plenty to think about if the Nigerian city of 16 million tightly packed inhabitants is the ultimate expression of modern urban living. Lagos is growing at such an astonishing rate that by 2015 it is predicted to be the third largest city in the world, behind Mumbai and Tokyo, but it is an unlikely model metropolis.

Although the country has vast oil resources, the city's infrastructure is appalling. Three-quarters of Lagos residents live in slums. The rail network manages one train per week. Despite being the world's sixth biggest oil producer, power cuts are a daily occurrence and a national joke. Lagosians have renamed the National Electric Power Authority (NEPA) as Never Expect Power Always.

When I first visited Nigeria, my parents' homeland, a decade ago, I was unprepared for the reality. It was like landing on another planet. Although the city is a nightmare to navigate, the Lagosians are a breed apart. Millions of quick-witted economic migrants have created a city characterised by personal ingenuity and entrepreneurship. Nothing is wasted, everything is a commodity. "Lagos is not a kind of backward situation but an announcement of the future," the architect Rem Koolhaas has said. "What is now fascinating is how, with some level of self-organisation, there is a strange combination of extreme underdevelopment and development."

Will Anderson, the series producer of Welcome to Lagos, a fascinating new three-part documentary, agrees. He believes the way they have addressed the problems of extreme population growth is a lesson for us all, especially now that half the world's population live in cities, including one billion slum dwellers. "I am an anthropologist by background, but rather than looking at marginal and tribal populations, I wanted to look at massive cities. If a Martian came down to Earth, they would report back that we are a species that lives in cities. And in some degrees the people in Lagos are doing it better than we are in the west," he says.

The series looks at life on the Olusosun rubbish dump, the workplace and home to more than 1,000 scavengers who sift the garbage looking for recyclable material. This is a vibrant, self-policing community living next to a mosque, a barber's shop and three cinemas. The film-makers also take us to Makoka lagoon where 300,000 people live on water and in squatter camps on the beach. It is soon clear that most Lagos residents will do anything to earn a few dollars a day, from back-breaking labour to sharp business deals, because there is no welfare state to provide a safety net.

But among Lagosians, who tend to combine relentless entrepreneurial flair with the belief that God will provide, there is little time for self-pity, a fact reflected in the series. "We did not want the people to come across as victims because that is not how they see themselves," says Anderson. "They are normal people doing what they have to do to survive. They encounter the same obstactles as the rest of us, but it's just that they do so in extreme circumstances."

Welcome to Lagos will be shown on BBC 2 at 9pm on 15, 22 and 29 April.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/apr/04/documentary-film-welcome-to-lagos-nigeria
Re: Welcome To Lagos: How Nigeria's Dirt Poor Scratch A Living by Nobody: 1:17am On Apr 04, 2010
My opinion is that these people show shocking resilience and intelligence in the midst of their enviromental conditions.

Commendable traits indeed!!!
Re: Welcome To Lagos: How Nigeria's Dirt Poor Scratch A Living by Nwaka77: 3:15am On Apr 04, 2010
frosbel:

My opinion is that these people show shocking resilience and intelligence in the midst of their enviromental conditions.

Commendable traits indeed!!!

Ok, so now what? where do we go from here and what exactly is the purpose of this thread considering that any Nigerian who has ever lived in Nigeria before already knows we have these problems? Or do you just enjoying teaching people things they already know about? undecided Just saying.
Re: Welcome To Lagos: How Nigeria's Dirt Poor Scratch A Living by sojjy: 5:02am On Apr 04, 2010
It sound so riduculous for an architect to complain about the structure erected afta following what was draw on masterplan.The problems faced by Nigerians and Africa at large were as a result of the europeans colonization of the Africa states.BBC and the rest of the foreign media are tools of their masters use in reporting negative stories about Africans.Lagos will be one of the finest city with leader like Fashola at the helms of the affair of the government.EKO O NI BAJE.
Re: Welcome To Lagos: How Nigeria's Dirt Poor Scratch A Living by Nobody: 1:50pm On Apr 04, 2010
Nwaka77:

Ok, so now what? where do we go from here and what exactly is the purpose of this thread considering that any Nigerian who has ever lived in Nigeria before already knows we have these problems? Or do you just enjoying teaching people things they already know about? undecided Just saying.

I suspect that this guy is a teacher. For some mysterious reason he sees the need to inform us about things that Nigerians already know about. (eg Islam,poverty)
@frosbel
Probably you need to find a new audience for your posts.
Re: Welcome To Lagos: How Nigeria's Dirt Poor Scratch A Living by Nobody: 2:04pm On Apr 04, 2010
tensor777:

I suspect that this guy is a teacher. For some mysterious reason he sees the need to inform us about things that Nigerians already know about. (eg Islam,poverty)
@frosbel
Probably you need to find a new audience for your posts.

I am not here to tickle you ears or sweep the dirt under the carpet. I believe in expository thoroughness in stating the obvious.

Nigerians hate the truth and are ashamed of their inability to create a functioning state.

All I hear is bragging about riches, education etc etc when the Nation is in danger of peril and the masses are hunrgy.

Keep living in dream land.

It is by addressing these issues and stating solid truths that we learn and start to make a difference.

If its too much for you to comprehend I am sorry.
Re: Welcome To Lagos: How Nigeria's Dirt Poor Scratch A Living by redsun(m): 2:16pm On Apr 04, 2010
BBC 2 IS COMING UP WITH SOME YANSH OPENING DOCUMENTARY OF LAGOS FILTH SOON,THEY HAVE ALREADY STATED FLASHING IT ON TV,GIVING IT ALL THE PUBLICITY THEY CAN BEFORE THE ACTUAL SHOW.

Another demoralizing episode for some of us nigerians here who still feel embarass about the state of moral decadence in our society,unlike obasanjo who in his own words said he is immune from embarassment and a person that does not feel embarass is nothing short of an insane person.

Obasanjo is ma-d like the rest of nigerian politicians,they are all craz-y.
Re: Welcome To Lagos: How Nigeria's Dirt Poor Scratch A Living by otawa: 2:21pm On Apr 04, 2010
Nigerians know what to do. Until they do it, nothing we happen.

To progress you need to wipe out the people that are stopping you.

when you cultivate your farm-land, you must kill the 'weeds' to allow your plants to GROWN.

It is that simple.
Re: Welcome To Lagos: How Nigeria's Dirt Poor Scratch A Living by Nobody: 2:25pm On Apr 04, 2010
frosbel:

I am not here to tickle you ears or sweep the dirt under the carpet. I believe in expository thoroughness in stating the obvious.

Nigerians hate the truth and are ashamed of their inability to create a functioning state.

All I hear is bragging about riches, education etc etc when the Nation is in danger of peril and the masses are hunrgy.

Keep living in dream land.

It is by addressing these issues and stating solid truths that we learn and start to make a difference.

If its too much for you to comprehend I am sorry.

You are entirely missing the point of my post. The article you cut and pasted was written for the benefit of a Western audience. The issues raised and pictures taken would make a strong impression on the majority of them because such living conditions are unheard of in the West.

But on the other hand any Nigerian that has lived in Nigeria is very familiar with the living conditions of the urban poor. So what is your point of showing them this report
and more pertinently what is the solution?
Re: Welcome To Lagos: How Nigeria's Dirt Poor Scratch A Living by Nobody: 2:34pm On Apr 04, 2010
tensor777:

You are entirely missing the point of my post. The article you cut and pasted was written for the benefit of a Western audience. The issues raised and pictures taken would make a strong impression on the majority of them because such living conditions are unheard of in the West.

But on the other hand any Nigerian that has lived in Nigeria is very familiar with the living conditions of the urban poor. So what is your point of showing them this report
and more pertinently what is the solution?

I did not post them here to ridicule my country or people for that matter.

Put it this way, when I see such articles in the western press it horrifies me to think of the aftermath of these programmes, because more often than not it creates an impression of hopelessness, backwardness and total break down of law and order.

Therefore I bring these articles to the fore which is here on Nairaland to debate, discuss and suggest solutions.

When I was in Lagos last year the change that Fashola has made is very impressive and phenomenal despite the criticism he gets for other unrelated matters.

Lagos is cleaner, transport better and roads smoother.

Why do the western press not see these good sides ?

Surely we can discuss matters here like other forums worldwide without resorting to personal attacks. 
Re: Welcome To Lagos: How Nigeria's Dirt Poor Scratch A Living by hatch: 3:44pm On Apr 04, 2010
Again our beloved frosbel displays his cut and paste skills by reminding us of our evident problems
in Nigeria and Africa embarassed . How kind hearted of you. You are truly a blessing to us as a country .

I don't have a problem if you don't give a darn if you dont like country but i will always pick a fight
with you once you come hear trying to give us an impression that those of us here in Nigeria are
living in a s/h/it/ hole while you over there are living in your fantasy heaven.

We all know that you are up to date with your version of current affairs but please can you spare
us the regular filth that you churn out. Simply because you are opportune to live in the west don't
make you any superior.
Re: Welcome To Lagos: How Nigeria's Dirt Poor Scratch A Living by Nobody: 3:55pm On Apr 04, 2010
hatch#:

Again our beloved frosbel displays his cut and paste skills by reminding us of our evident problems
in Nigeria and Africa embarassed . How kind hearted of you. You are truly a blessing to us as a country .

I don't have a problem if you don't give a darn if you dont like country but i will always pick a fight
with you once you come hear trying to give us an impression that those of us here in Nigeria are
living in a s/h/it/ hole while you over there are living in your fantasy heaven.

We all know that you are up to date with your version of current affairs but please can you spare
us the regular filth that you churn out. Simply because you are opportune to live in the west don't
make you any superior.

Superior ? undecided

Or is it you that feels inferior.?

[size=14pt]Where did I ever mention that NIDs are better than NINs [/size]

On the contrary many NIDs have returned home and I am one of those on the verge of relocating having acquired good experience and skills that will make the living experience back home worth the while.

To be honest Hatch# since I joined this forum I have not learnt anything from you except the normal Naija abuse, insults and rantings.

I keep telling you it is not by force to comment on my posts, just move on ,but like a mosquito you keep buzzing back. Do you want to suck my blood or what

Leave me alone Jare.
Re: Welcome To Lagos: How Nigeria's Dirt Poor Scratch A Living by olap001(m): 4:11pm On Apr 04, 2010
I cannot wait to see it; I saw the preview on the BBC yesterday and it is bound to be good entertainment.
Re: Welcome To Lagos: How Nigeria's Dirt Poor Scratch A Living by Kobojunkie: 4:20pm On Apr 04, 2010
olap001:

I cannot wait to see it; I saw the preview on the BBC yesterday and it is bound to be good entertainment.

me too
Re: Welcome To Lagos: How Nigeria's Dirt Poor Scratch A Living by mcse2000: 7:18am On Aug 09, 2010
africans can't accept the fact they are living in dirt and poverty.is poverty a reason to piss and shit and the streets?why europe is so developed,clean and safe?.

(1) (Reply)

Amokachi’s Brother Murdered In Kaduna: Saharareporter / Jos Church Attack:suicide Bomber,cocin Member -dfence Hq. / This Man Will Defeat The INCUMBENT President Of Nigeria In 2015 Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.