Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,068 members, 7,863,779 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 05:58 AM

Manifesto A Must In The Next Election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Manifesto A Must In The Next Election (871 Views)

GEJ Begs PDP Govs With N20billion For The Next Election / APC Manifesto, A Poor Imitation - PDP / Fashola To Run For Governorship Of 6+ States In Next Election. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Manifesto A Must In The Next Election by KnowAll(m): 10:43am On Apr 04, 2010
It is good that democracy is back, in fact it has been back for 11 years now and one of the core ingredient and a bye-product of democracy has rarely sufaced in our discussion boards, in our newspapers or even in our elections. Ooops I gaffed there, it actually comes up to the foreshore during election campaings albeit informally,  word of mouth manifestoes, yes I can remember clearly when Bola Tinubu promised during his first term election campaigns,  that the 4th mainland bridge would be one of the cornerstone of his time in office, like everyone else I was excited that this project that has been on the drawing board for decades would be resusitated.

11 years later, even Mr Action Governor- Fashola has not touched this laudable project that would have eased the pain of those travelling from the Lekki Corridor to Lagos Island and mainland. Manisfestoes are like report sheet. If your child goes to school, at the end of the term u would ask him or her about her report sheet,  just to reassure your self everything is in order with your child. Have we ever asked why there is no visible development in the country?  undecided, because we the electorates have not demanded from all the the officials from the councillors in the LG to the Presidency of what their plans are for the ward, or the country or the state as the case maybe. I work with British civil service and every six months they have a mid term report on how u doing in the job, if u need to go on some courses u discuss it with your bosses. This trend continues year in year out whether u have been in the post for 6 months or 12 years it does not matter.

What brought this topic to my attention was the recent Anambra state elections conducted in the month of February this year, where the 3 candidates vying for the post where all good candidates. I thought to myself the incumbent Mr Obi should be a lot easier to analysis and put under the microscope. If Obi had a Manifestoe which was presented 6 months b4 becoming the Governor, his failures and short-comings would be visible even to to the blind, if he has failed, the thought of him,  facing an already disgruntled electorate to canvass for their votes would be a daunting and herculian task. The electorates needs a bird's eye view of an incubent's accomplishment or failure as the case maybe. But in the absence of a Manifestoe one cannot properly and honestly evaluate the political office holder. Although one has a vague idea how they have performed but without a systematic annotation such views are hollow and lacks substance.

Manifestoes is a contract between the aspiring office holder and the electorate, it needs to be collated and put together well b4 the election has being held and it should be kept within ample access of a public domain. That is the public at any point in time should be able to access the Manifestoe making sure the wordings, lettering, and suject matter has not being distorted in anyway and manner. In essence comparing the aims , objectives and goals of what is listed in the Manifestoes with what has transpired on the ground should be straight forward and unequivocal.

In fact I beleive just like your Bible and Quoran, I would expect the citizenry of the states to master the manifestoe by heart, this is neccessary as it would enlighten the citizens of the state ,LG, and the country of the duties and promises the Governors, Ministers and the Presidency has made but not yet fulfilled.

I hear people say there are no opposition in the polity, there is only one reason for this misconception, we the electorate armed with a well documented Manisfestos should and are the number 1 opposition even b4 the officail opposition parties. In fact the vociferous voices of the electorate actually boost the official opposition parties confidence level immensely. We have 13 months to go, let us demand for IBB's Manifestoe. Fashola's Manifesto, Jonathan's Manifesto, Buhari's Manifestoe, and all our prospective Chairmen, Governors and House reps Manifestoe

In the current dispensation out of a mark of 7

Edo State - 2/7
Ondo-2/7
Oyo-1/7
Lagos -3/7
FG-1/7
Rivers-1/7

and every other governor, those that have done a good job would probably get 2/7 and those who have done a shoddy job would get 1/7, by my estimate nobody gets 0/7 because salary gets paid. That is why so many states are 1/7 and those who are bit innovative gets 2/7.

Fashola leads the way with 3/7, which is not particulary a pass mark We should demand official Manifestoes so that we can evaluate them better next time.
Re: Manifesto A Must In The Next Election by KnowAll(m): 12:19pm On Apr 04, 2010

I might be wrong or does anyone have a copy of any political office holder's Manifestoe no matter how low the official is, just wondering.

Re: Manifesto A Must In The Next Election by KnowAll(m): 10:02am On Apr 08, 2010
Some Nigerians are going to the polls soon don’t forget to demand for an official Manifestoes from those prospective LG Chairmen. Most LG government these days get a lot of money from the FG, averaging between N35 and N90 million depending on the population so ladies and gentlemen ask for an official Manifesto. This subtle bye product of our democracy should not be taking for granted.

It is the key that lubricates the rustiness of democracy, reorientation and making this idealism a fact of our everyday existence is an objective that should be at the forefront of our Democracy, INEC, FG and State Government should have radio and TV jingles reminding the citizenry of this wholesome civic duty.  Lets get started.

We cannot eradicate corruption in our country when those employed to do a job don’t have a job description even if they have a job description what are the prospective office holders bringing to the job. How are they going to eradicate the poverty in the land.

Nigeria is specifically and generally an agrarian society why all LG don’t have mechanised farming is something I don’t understand. I read somewhere some of our lands are going to be lease out to some foreign nation for them to grow products for their home market what non sense, this is absolutely bull excreta, the FG must stop this neo-colonialist move with all their might.

(1) (Reply)

Confusion In Yar’adua’s Camp •turai, Cabal Members Disagree / Breaking News :- President Umaru Yaradua Is Dead / Yoruba stops IBB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.