Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,823 members, 7,956,107 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:15 AM

Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. (2489 Views)

List Of Senate Presidents In Nigeria, Past And Present / Photo Of Nigeria's Leaders: Past And Present. / Nigerian Leaders: Past And Present; Your Best And Worst? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by Nobody: 10:16pm On Apr 04, 2010
as much as africans have, due to the precarious position they find themselves, failed to lift themselves from, the black sheep, image of the world, i still find among them a few distinguished gentle men who have tried within their pitiable means to lift their country men, out of the cycle of sufferings.
some of this men, might be dictators, some of them stood tall and unblemish with integrity amidst wolfs, some very young trying to change the old useless order of their country, but the history of their country is never complete without them, for they either laid the ground work to whatever prosperity or freedom the country is or about to enjoy.
i have serious respect and regards for this men for they are like a grain of sand in a desert.
i will list mine in no particular order.

Paul Kagame of Rwanda

Julius Nyerere of Tanzania

Jerry Rawlings of Ghana

Morgan Tsvangirai and Tendai Biti of Zimbabwe ( i would have added bob mugabe, but he has spent all his goodwill)

Shehu Shagari of Nigeria

Sam Nujoma of Namibia

John Garang and Salva Kirr of South Sudan

of cos, Nelson Mandela of South Africa,

not forgetting Muhammar Gadaffi of Libya

this men have been great inspiration to me, my sense as a person continues to improve as i read of them, i am sure there are many more heros in africa, who are yours?
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by Kobojunkie: 10:19pm On Apr 04, 2010
Shehu Shagari, and Ghaddafi on the same list as Tsangiri and Mandela?? OH GOSH !!!! ROFLMAO!!! Are you sure you understand what all these people stood/Stand for or did you just pack those names from some book without taking the time to research and gain understanding of the message each brings to the table?

Anywho, I have no African heros --- I have no heros.
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by Nobody: 10:43pm On Apr 04, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Shehu Shagari, and Ghaddafi on the same list as Tsangiri and Mandela?? OH GOSH !!!! ROFLMAO!!! Are you sure you understand what all these people stood/Stand for or did you just pack those names from some book without taking the time to research and gain understanding of the message each brings to the table?

Anywho, I have no African heros --- I have no heros.

shehu shagari remains one of the few leaders in nigeria who cannot be faulted with any wrong doing while in goverment, granted that he had his failings, he still remain a man of sound integrity amidst such terrible, come chop contemporaries.

is libya not better of with gadaffi? other africans flock there to do menial labour and so fort. a country who recently banned the whole of schengen europe from libya due to the infraction it had with switzerland. i think he speaks the truth, but not diplomatically. but has he changed the life of his people for better? yess!!
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by Nobody: 11:05pm On Apr 04, 2010
each of these men have different messages for me and to think that i will list men with the same idea and message will i think make me a slowpoke, the underlined fact is that they are inspirational, Gadaffi to you might be a strong man and not be it, but to the average libyan and to me he is worth a million abacha.
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by Kobojunkie: 11:08pm On Apr 04, 2010
df2006:

each of these men have different messages for me and to think that i will list men with the same idea and message will i think make me a slowpoke, the underlined fact is that they are inspirational, Gadaffi to you might be a strong man and not be it, but to the average libyan and to me he is worth a million abacha.

Well, I strongly disagree with that bit but I see now how you have chosen to justify your having people of differing messages on your list.
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by Nobody: 11:20pm On Apr 04, 2010
one thing i have learnt from shagari, which you might need to learn as well, @ koboj,   is that, you should not look down on the other person because, you perceive yourself to be better,  of which we know, his opponents did greatly, and we all know what happened to all of them losers,   i think you will learn a thing or two from this man
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by eddy1977(m): 11:22pm On Apr 04, 2010
Paul kagame
5000 000 have been killed in eastern congo because of that demon
i wish i can kill him with my bare hands
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by ayettymama(f): 11:25pm On Apr 04, 2010
I still have a lot of autobiographies to read and though I won't class him as my hero I will say I have a lot of respect for the ransom kuti family- who endured soo much to bring a powerful message accross. I learnt their homes were set ablaze and a lot of them were murdered. That's real patriotism. I also read abit abt wole soyinka I'm in love with him already he's probably mu current nigerian hero + my dad the most intelligent african man I've ever come accross
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by Nobody: 11:28pm On Apr 04, 2010
eddy1977:

Paul kagame
5000 000 have been killed in eastern congo because of that demon
i wish i can kill him with my bare hands

5 million! common eddy, the problems of congo were there even before kagame was born.
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by Nobody: 11:41pm On Apr 04, 2010
ayettymama:

I still have a lot of autobiographies to read and though I won't class him as my hero I will say I have a lot of respect for the ransom kuti family- who endured soo much to bring a powerful message accross. I learnt their homes were set ablaze and a lot of them were murdered. That's real patriotism. I also read abit abt wole soyinka I'm in love with him already he's probably mu current nigerian hero + my dad the most intelligent african man I've ever come accross

i agree with you,
i was reading some where and somebody was asking, "But the late Professor Olikoye Ransome Kuti served under the IBB administration. How was he able to serve and leave without any allegations of corruption or ineptitude in the same administration and in the same country?”

that family has really sacrificed a lot for ordinary people in nigeria
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by jpilata(m): 11:48pm On Apr 04, 2010
I think nelson mandela is our Abraham lincoln in africa
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by panafrican(m): 12:05am On Apr 05, 2010
We have a lot of Heroes: Randomly  , one has:

1.Samory Ture                                        http://blackhistorypages.net/pages/samoriture.php

2. Lat- Dior                                             http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lat-Dior

3. Tafawa  Balewa                                 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abubakar_Tafawa_Balewa

4.  Thomas Sankara                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Sankara

5. Patrice Lumumba                 http://www.africawithin.com/lumumba/independence_speech.htm      ( we have known ironies, )

6. Ahmed Sekou Toure             http://www.freewebs.com/aaprp_atlanta/Ahmed_Sekou_Toure.html

And more,

I do not know where to put Big  Daddy
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by Nobody: 12:09am On Apr 05, 2010
big daddy aka idi amin was the property of the west i.e america and britain, and ugandans paid dearly for it
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by Nobody: 12:12am On Apr 05, 2010
oh thomas sankara when men were men.
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by ayettymama(f): 6:41am On Apr 05, 2010
If anyone knows where i can get good autobiographies on these african heroes pls tell

i cant really trust the ones written by ajebutters on amazon- what do they no!
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by OAM4J: 6:56am On Apr 05, 2010
panafrican:

I do not know where to put Big  Daddy

lol grin grin grin

omg, what a picture. so he had to make white men carried him on their shoulders?

to prove what grin grin
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by Beaf: 7:47am On Apr 05, 2010
OAM4J:

lol  grin grin grin

omg, what a picture. so he had to make white men carried him on their shoulders?

to prove what  grin grin

He also once invited some British envoys and welcomed them in a hut with a low door through which the "British officers were obliged to crawl". . . Idi Amin declared that the British had knelt before him! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,913231,00.html
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by princekevo(m): 1:09pm On Apr 05, 2010
OAM4J:

lol grin grin grin

to prove what grin grin

To prove the samething white folks tied you neck, head and leg, flogged and shipped accross the occean only to serve them. grin
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by Nobody: 10:08pm On Apr 05, 2010
ayettymama:

If anyone knows where i can get good autobiographies on these african heroes pls tell

i cant really trust the ones written by ajebutters on amazon- what do they no!

if you are in lagos you could check out Quintescense in falomo shopping center falomo awolowo rd ikoyi, or Book shop house in CMS lagos, the lifestyle store at silverbird Galleria is ok but they don,t carry much african writers, the Hub at the palms is a place you could check also, i wonder where all those guys at cms under bridge went?
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by ayettymama(f): 10:12pm On Apr 05, 2010
thanx
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by ZE: 11:14pm On Apr 05, 2010
Please add Emeka Odimegwu Ojukwu in the list
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by Nobody: 11:33pm On Apr 05, 2010
Please also add Mobutu, Omar Bongo, Gnasimgbe Eyadema to the list.

A continent where poverty and corruption reigns have no Heroes

Apart from Nelson Mandela, everone else can go to hell.
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by Nobody: 12:50am On Apr 06, 2010
mikeansy:

Please also add Mobutu, Omar Bongo, Gnasimgbe Eyadema to the list.

A continent where poverty and corruption reigns have no Heroes

Apart from Nelson Mandela, everone else can go to hell.

i think you are better than this mike, although i feel you, it is worth being angry, but you must understand that we did not create the position we find ourselves, we were allowed to start building new nations in africa from just 50yrs ago, but  according to the blueprint and plans of our colonial masters, i.e, to forever remain dependent and impoverish, but from among us great men have tried to change that, of which mandela is just one, thomas sankara was killed because he was going against france he had the name of his country changed from upper volta to burkinafaso meaning land of the upright. i know, you know what just a name can do to a person.
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by Nobody: 1:07am On Apr 06, 2010
ZE:

i would have added him, but i am considering certain things. for one to be the son of one of the richest men in then nigeria, fore go his riches to fight for his people is worth emulating, but his many mistakes are suspicious, but he is a great man no doubt.
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by Kobojunkie: 1:11am On Apr 06, 2010
df2006:

i would have added him, but i am considering certain things. for one to be the son of one of the richest men in then nigeria, fore go his riches to fight for his people is worth emulating, but his many mistakes are suspicious, but he is a great man no doubt.

ROFLMAO!! grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by Jakumo(m): 6:36am On Apr 06, 2010
As mentioned earlier here by someone, Nelson Mandela is THE quintessential African hero and legend, for he emerged after 27 years of incarceration with a message of unity and forgiveness, rather than one of vengeance.

For sacrificing his freedom, health and ultimately his life, in his struggle for a free and just Nigeria, Gani Fawehinmi was heroic beyond measure, in addition to being an attorney of formidable accomplishment.

For waging war from the jungles of Uganda into the seat of power in Kampala, and in the process removing Big Daddy Amin, the sadistic Butcher of Uganda, President Yowerri Museveni qualifies as a hero, despite holding on to power for way too long now.

As musical craftsmen of sublime talent, whose classic hits will ring out from speakers in the streets of Nigerian cities for decades to come, King Sunny Ade,  Ebeneezer Obey and "Guitar Boy" Victor Uwaifo all qualify as legends, true African ambassadors, and yes, guitar heroes in their own right.
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by Nobody: 7:32am On Apr 06, 2010
[s][/s]
ZE:

df2006:

big daddy aka idi amin was the property of the west i.e america and britain, and ugandans paid dearly for it
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by Nobody: 7:41am On Apr 06, 2010
[s][/s]
ZE:

df2006:

there is no much difference between these two confusionists.they belong to the BLACK lists of heroes/villians in our generation.the two deserve to be hang
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by panafrican(m): 1:21pm On Apr 06, 2010
undecided
All  things considered ,Heros are  The Unkown soldiers. 
The ones who gave  their lives resisting harsh colonial rules,
The ones who fought during world war 1 and world war 2, against nazi Germany and imperial japan ,
Those who fought for independence  hoping for a brighter Africa ,
most of them were rewarded in monkey currencies ( to say they received spit in the face after victory was accomplished,).
Re: Who Are Your African Heros Past And Present. by nedu2000(m): 1:56pm On Apr 06, 2010
Apart 4rm nelson mandela,Africa esp. Nigeria have no heroes,nöne at all, u can't compare 'em 2 any of d over 3million american soldiers dat died in voluntary service during WW2

(1) (Reply)

Lawmakers Approve N17b For Independence Anniversary ! / Cecilia Ibru Very Ill:can't Make Jail Unless She's Allowed 2 Serve From Home / How Former Governor Oni's Sack Ruined Wife's Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.