Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,008 members, 7,825,147 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:56 AM

Child Benefit:to Tithe Or Not - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Child Benefit:to Tithe Or Not (3518 Views)

20 Things Must Do At Age 30 To Benefit Your Life At 50 / Why Transfer My Life Assurance Benefit To My Late Father's Pension Account? / Health Benefit Of Quail Egg And Quail Meat. Gracious Seed Farm . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Child Benefit:to Tithe Or Not by damiso(f): 8:20am On Apr 05, 2010
Note;this was not posted in religion becos i know that the thread would degenrate sharply into a tithe or not to tithe debate,Just want the opinion of christains parents living in the uk.

I was recently talking to a friend of mine in church and she told me that i was supposed to be tithing on all the money we got from the govt eg child tax credits and child benefit as it is indeed part of our increase.I kinda of see the point in the child tax credit part as its a sort of tax break but me and my hubby have decided that the child benenfit belongs to our daughter and have proceeded to save all of it for her till she is old enough to make decisons(with our guidance)on what to do with it.My hubby esp believes it's not our money and so we do not have a right to tithe on it as its technically not our increase.Its been nagging at me for a while and just wanted to throw the question to christians on what they think about this issue.This also translates to all the monetary gifts given to her at birth that we have also saved for her.Also rolls onto another dimension on whether or not people on some benefits eg jobseekers allowance,incapacity benefit etc are meant to tithe from it as i do not see this allowances as increase(my view sha)cos welfare is really not a lifestyle that should be or should i say voluntarily adhered to.Would appreciate your thoughts on this issue.
Re: Child Benefit:to Tithe Or Not by 4peace(m): 10:08am On Apr 05, 2010
leave it for ur child to decide cos thats his or her benefit not urs.How is he or she.
Re: Child Benefit:to Tithe Or Not by Amigoz(f): 10:52am On Apr 05, 2010
No, it is for the benefit of the child. I believe when the child is old enough to have access to the account, then they will do the right thing (depending on how u raise them).

Once upon a time I was on Job seekers allowance and yes I paid my tithe. I suppose its an individual thing, some do , some dont. At the end of the day U let the Spirit lead.
Re: Child Benefit:to Tithe Or Not by hackney(m): 11:48am On Apr 05, 2010
The woman that asked you to tithe dole money is simply TERRIBLE.

should a beggar tithe his takings too?
There's no way a church is that selfish.
Re: Child Benefit:to Tithe Or Not by Outstrip(f): 7:17pm On Apr 05, 2010
It depends on what you tithe on. Do you tithe on your net or gross. If you tithe on your gross then there is no need to tithe again. If you tithe on your net and you feel like you want to leave this to your child then I would say that is a personal decision because you guys are not really using the money. Then again if you look at your child's savings as a responsibility like all your other bills then you still tithes regardless of your bills abi? Like I said this one will have to be with your personal convictions
Re: Child Benefit:to Tithe Or Not by WhiteOne(f): 4:23pm On Apr 06, 2010
I am living in the UK, too, SW London and my husband made the decision to save the child benefit or Kindergeld as it is called in Germany, my native ever since we had our first son. This amount of around 70 Pfound goes to the children savings. However Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit is A TAX REBATE of your or his income tax. Does your husband realy wish to pay to much Tax for the UK inland revenue? or the right amount?

Here some more informations:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/index.htm

Please and Please, tell your husband he should not give away the moeny he worked for !!!

If you have questions - please ask -
Re: Child Benefit:to Tithe Or Not by Outstrip(f): 5:33pm On Apr 06, 2010
WhiteOne:

I am living in the UK, too, SW London and my husband made the decision to save the child benefit or Kindergeld as it is called in Germany, my native ever since we had our first son. This amount of around 70 Pfound goes to the children savings. However Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit is A TAX REBATE of your or his income tax. Does your husband realy wish to pay to much Tax for the UK inland revenue? or the right amount?

Here some more informations:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/index.htm

Please and Please, tell your husband he should not give away the moeny he worked for !!!

If you have questions - please ask -

Obviously you are not on the same page on tithing as the poster and her husband are. They tithe so that is why this is an issue for her. They do not consider tithing as "giving away what they worked for"
Re: Child Benefit:to Tithe Or Not by bee444: 12:12am On Apr 07, 2010
Outstrip:

It depends on what you tithe on. Do you tithe on your net or gross. If you tithe on your gross then there is no need to tithe again. If you tithe on your net and you feel like you want to leave this to your child then I would say that is a personal decision because you guys are not really using the money. Then again if you look at your child's savings as a responsibility like all your other bills then you still tithes regardless of your bills abi? Like I said this one will have to be with your personal convictions

The @poster said child benefit. What has gross or net income got to do with child benefit? The money is simply for your child, why tithe on it. Pls abegi, I'm tired of this so-called Christians that always uses tithe as a way of pleasing GOD! When did child benefit now becomes an avenue for Pastors to defraud these little children?.

I'm seek and tired of Nigerians that can't think straight own their own without saying 'my pastor said this or that' on tithe. If you wanna tithe, then tithe on your goddamn salary, not on your children's money. Enough of this overly-spiritual attitudes of our people. I bet if you ask your pastor, he would say you should tithe the child benefit, why, because they're money mongers. Don't make me vex o. Now go and put your children's benefit back into their account quick quick before I loose my temper o.

Tithe on child benefit ko, tithe on child benefit ni
Re: Child Benefit:to Tithe Or Not by Outstrip(f): 12:28am On Apr 07, 2010
bee444:

The @poster said child benefit. What has gross or net income got to do with child benefit? The money is simply for your child, why tithe on it. Pls abegi, I'm tired of this so-called Christians that always uses tithe as a way of pleasing GOD! When did child benefit now becomes an avenue for Pastors to defraud these little children?.

I'm seek and tired of Nigerians that can't think straight own their own without saying 'my pastor said this or that' on tithe. If you wanna tithe, then tithe on your goddamn salary, not on your children's money. Enough of this overly-spiritual attitudes of our people. I bet if you ask your pastor, he would say you should tithe the child benefit, why, because they're money mongers. Don't make me vex o. Now go and put your children's benefit back into their account quick quick before I loose my temper o.

Tithe on child benefit ko, tithe on child benefit ni

And did you leave out the part that said tax. If it is based on taxes then it was given back from her actual income. It relates to what was taken out of the money she worked for. It is not a gift. She worked for it and the government are giving her her money back basically. This is how it works in the US for the most part. Unless it works differently in the UK and the government just gives them money
Re: Child Benefit:to Tithe Or Not by bee444: 1:26am On Apr 07, 2010
Outstrip:

And did you leave out the part that said tax. If it is based on taxes then it was given back from her actual income. It relates to what was taken out of the money she worked for. It is not a gift. She worked for it and the government are giving her her money back basically. This is how it works in the US for the most part. Unless it works differently in the UK and the government just gives them money

Let me be very clear my dear, Child benefit is not Income support and neither is it Job-seeker's allowance. Income support and Jobseeker's allowance are tax related benefits that involves your income tax contribution and N.I contribution (England) and social security number(USA). You don't have to work to claim child benefit. You can claim child benefit even if you've never worked before.

To the issue of child tax credit, this is a work related benefit that only apply to those that are working and have a child that is claiming child benefit. If you pay your tithe every month from your salary, why should you now pay extra tithe on your Child's tax credit money? The money is given back to you for the upbringing of your child and not for your own personal use.

Where in the bible do we have this kind of discrepancy? Why do the issue of tithe have to be a great concern to this so-called new generation churches? Did Jesus ever instructed anyone to pay tithe? Only once did he ever mention tithe in the bible, when he say to a hypocrite that if 'you claim to pay tithe, why not do the other things that's been instructed by Moses'. We're not in those time anymore, this is a new dispensation.

Paying tithe or not paying tithe is a personally thing and should not be seen as a criteria to securing heaven. If we're not condemned, why should we then condemn ourselves?
Re: Child Benefit:to Tithe Or Not by bee444: 1:29am On Apr 07, 2010
@poster, just follow your heart on this issue, but remember, there's no compulsion as to the things of GOD. Give freely and willingly anything you want to give.
Re: Child Benefit:to Tithe Or Not by WhiteOne(f): 8:56am On Apr 07, 2010
The tenth part of the child benefit should be given to god, as the tenth part of the childs gross income, because the family is christian and moses did command this from his follwers in the ols testament. So, now i am in the same page. Hower Jesus teach us not to take away money of widows and children! The person how do this is better of to have a mill stone around his or her neck and be throwen into deep water . . . How old is the child we are talking of a baby, a toddler , under 10 or a teen? In my familie we pray over those things and we give to project in our church, which supports children all around the world, but mostly it is the money of mum and dad, which do this. If my sons said " Mum i like to give for the church, because they have seen a video or a presentation in church, i might consider taking some of there "savingsmoeny" for it. But giving does not start in the church alone and my husband and i do not like to be pushed into given all to the church, what is with mummy and daddy back home in Nigeria? or with the cousiones? there shool fee and there studies? My son (9) gave some of his money (30 Pfounds) to buy a bag of rice for his grandma back home in Nigeria during Chrismas time and he gave up some money for a present for him to give to some money (20 Pfounds) for cousions school fee. This are the things, which make my husband proud! Last year we where ask to give some money to a good friend of us, who is a moslem because he was doing his pilgrimage to mekka. And we did gave some some. God can see all those things and i am quite sure god wil bless us for those things - i like to make a difference in peoples life and i do not like to sponsor a big new us stile church building or pastors new mercedes benz iif people can not get a good education or starving besite me.
Re: Child Benefit:to Tithe Or Not by damiso(f): 4:57pm On Apr 12, 2010
thanks for all the various responses on the matter been busy so have not been able to reply., we have decided to go with our hearts on this issue and have decided to continue saving my daughters child benenfit as it really is not our money.I have always been one person who thinks that the best thing to do is raise our children in the way of the Lord and then trust them to do what you think is right(all by God grace,cos it really is not in my power to force a child to believe,have seen sum pastor's kids, hmm).Its just that this month has been tagged the month of divine obedience and the sermons always seem to end up on tithes and offerings and how we should not rationalise on Gods commandments.I am rationalising this one sha becos its not my money,if not for my daughter there would be no child benefit,so technically its not ours to spend as we like,its meant as a token from the govt to take care of the child and since me and my hubby can afford to take care of the girl without spending it,we have decided to save the money for her.and for the poster who asked for her age,she is 8 months old.

(1) (Reply)

Would You Go This Length For A Man? Your Husband? / 22 Home Remedies For Prickly Heat / How Much To A Man Really Need To Settle Down.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.