Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,084 members, 7,953,304 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:51 PM

Spain's Crisis Re-ignited As Catalan Separatists Win Vote - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Spain's Crisis Re-ignited As Catalan Separatists Win Vote (610 Views)

Cameroon Says Boko Haram, Separatists On Offensive / Catalan Referendum In Spain: Riot Police Fire Rubber Bullets At Crowd / All The World Leaders Kicked Against Catalan Referendum..us, Eu, France... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Spain's Crisis Re-ignited As Catalan Separatists Win Vote by Fulmigati: 9:41am On Dec 25, 2017
BARCELONA/MADRID (Reuters) - Separatists looked set on Friday to regain power in Catalonia after voters rejected Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy’s attempt to neuter its independence movement, instead re-igniting the country’s biggest political crisis in decades.

Spanish markets recoiled at a surprise result that is also a setback for the European Union, which must now brace for more secessionist noise as it grapples with the disruption of Brexit and simmering east European discontent.

By risking a parliamentary election in the region, Rajoy appears to have made the same mistake that leaders including Greece’s Alexis Tsipras, Britain’s David Cameron and Italy’s Matteo Renzi have made in recent years: betting that voters would resolve their troublesome domestic conundrums for them.

With well over 99 percent of votes from Thursday’s election counted, separatist parties had secured a slim majority.

Spain’s stock market fell around 1 percent and the country’s borrowing costs rose as investors bet the ensuing ramp-up in tensions with its richest region will hurt the euro zone’s fourth-largest economy.

Rajoy ruled out calling national elections over events that have weakened his authority, while both he and exiled separatist leader Carles Puigdemont said they were open for dialogue.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-spain-politics-catalonia/spains-crisis-re-ignited-as-catalan-separatists-win-vote-idUSKBN1EG13A
Re: Spain's Crisis Re-ignited As Catalan Separatists Win Vote by Fulmigati: 9:42am On Dec 25, 2017
It is time for the formation of a political party for the Biafran actualization movement. I would normally be against it, but the recent Spanish election proves that we need take a page from their book. The Catalonian separatists won a majority in their region has breathe new life into Catalonia independence. Biafra is the heart of the people of the East and I'm very the confident that even the Nigerian rigging machine cannot stop an organization that reps her interest.

1 Like

Re: Spain's Crisis Re-ignited As Catalan Separatists Win Vote by ApexPredator: 9:53am On Dec 25, 2017
I'm in full agreement. I pretty much support any means of Biafra independence. But formation of political party is good way to get past the Igbo elite who insist on perishing as Nigerians. IPOB have done an excellent job of rallying the people, but they have clearly ran out of gas.

1 Like

Re: Spain's Crisis Re-ignited As Catalan Separatists Win Vote by PFRB: 10:10am On Dec 25, 2017
Fulmigati:
It is time for the formation of a political party for the Biafran actualization movement. I would normally be against it, but the recent Spanish election proves that we need take a page from their book. The Catalonian separatists won a majority in their region has breathe new life into Catalonia independence. Biafra is the heart of the people of the East and I'm very the confident that even the Nigerian rigging machine cannot stop an organization that reps her interest.

You do not understand the Spanish structure.
Re: Spain's Crisis Re-ignited As Catalan Separatists Win Vote by Fulmigati: 10:12am On Dec 25, 2017
ApexPredator:
I'm in full agreement. I pretty much support any means of Biafra independence. But formation of political party is good way to get past the Igbo elite who insist on perishing as Nigerians. IPOB have done an excellent job of rallying the people, but they have clearly ran out of gas.

Right! time flies by quick. This golden opportunity should not go to waste.
Re: Spain's Crisis Re-ignited As Catalan Separatists Win Vote by Fulmigati: 10:17am On Dec 25, 2017
PFRB:

You do not understand the Spanish structure.

Go on ahead and explain it.
Re: Spain's Crisis Re-ignited As Catalan Separatists Win Vote by PFRB: 2:07pm On Dec 25, 2017
Fulmigati:

Go on ahead and explain it.

The regions in Spain are autonomous.
Re: Spain's Crisis Re-ignited As Catalan Separatists Win Vote by SouthEastFacts: 11:37am On Dec 27, 2017
Fulmigati:
You will be arrested for treason if you try that here.

(1) (Reply)

US Senator Gives Birth In Office. / U.S. MQ-9 Reaper Drones In Niger Are Now Armed / German Cabinet Approves Immigration Laws To Ease Worker Shortage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.