Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,998 members, 7,838,511 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:00 AM

What's Your Take On Divorce? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What's Your Take On Divorce? (4382 Views)

"I Tolerated Abuse For Long" - Anita Oyakhilome Breaks silence on divorce / Has Christ Embassy Theology On Divorce Changed Yet? / I'm Done With Chris Oyakhilome;no Going Back On Divorce – Anita Oyakhilome (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by snakeeyes: 2:20pm On Apr 06, 2010
Religion aside. i am of the opinion that its better to work the marriage, because there is no guaranty that the latter partner would be better than the former.
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by Fhemmmy: 2:24pm On Apr 06, 2010
snakeeyes:

Religion aside. i am of the opinion that its better to work the marriage, because there is no guaranty that the latter partner would be better than the former.

Well said
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by ayettymama(f): 2:28pm On Apr 06, 2010
inno this is what the world is comin too now

even pastors get divorced!

divorce is not something anyone shuld experience
its a touchy subject
but id rather be single forever than marry and divorce
theres soo much more to life

then again i guess people have thier reasons
some more sensible than others
some not sensible at all
some people divorce simply because they can
to them its just partin money and ova with!

wheres the love??

o well *kanye shrug*
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by hexcraft(m): 2:32pm On Apr 06, 2010
The Pastor is a fake one to start with.
Where was the Pastor during their pre-marriage courses if they had any?
Where was his so-called spiritual eyes.
Please there is something else that is missing.

Marriage is not Boy/Girl friend relationship.

Such a decision should be carefully thought at before embarking on it.

The act of incompatibility starts from dating and courting level.
This goes a long way to tell the decadence in all sector of our societal values.

We should always think before we act.
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by IbrahimB: 2:46pm On Apr 06, 2010
@OP

I for one believe that once a person is married, you remain married
Better change that thinking. Marriage is meant to be a source of happiness to both parties, but if after several attempts to reconcile a couple fails, if after several attempts to find a resolution fails, the best alternative will be to part.

Many couples have divorced and gone on to have successful marriages elsewhere. Why deny them this opportunity?

Many people enter into marriages based on lies and deceits which surface later, will you then bind the other party to a deceitful and abusive relationship just because "once you're married you remain married"?

Will anyone here, object to divorce when s/he suddenly realises one day, that his/her marriage was one ghastly error?

In addition to this, there are a lot of horrible things couples have done to one another other than infidelity.

Marriage should never be a prison - for anyone.
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by xamphara: 3:20pm On Apr 06, 2010
, Unlike xtianinity dat prohibits divorce,
wat does a man do with an "STI likely wyf"
wat do u do if she badmouths ur mum all over the area and she has no courtesy and manners
as in things u neva knew b4 marital kerewa?
What if she is a juju apostle claded as a firbrand choirsista/prayer warrior?
Divorce is essential when the essence of marriage has been punctured. How do u fix a broken glass, a badly shattered one? gums will make it ugly and so is a marriage of "by force, till death do we path"
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by hilli666(m): 3:27pm On Apr 06, 2010
The question should be "Your thoughts on divorce witout prenups" If we sign prenuptuals, then we can divorce no problem. "But if the chika wan carry my money waka, Na there tori don end" "I know baba alawo and me I be in number one customer" I fit take vex turn the chika to he-goat at discount price.
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by otukpo(f): 3:31pm On Apr 06, 2010
it's too early to talk of divorce.
Something is dangerously wrong somewhere and somebody is mis-leading the couple.
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by skfa1: 3:34pm On Apr 06, 2010
Based on a Christianity, divorce is a sin and a sin before God is a sin, take it or leave it.

I think the pastor is not a real pastor if that is what the pastor adviced.
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by ayettymama(f): 3:39pm On Apr 06, 2010
^^ not really, if its due to adultery there is no sin on the divorcers part
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by octar6: 3:39pm On Apr 06, 2010
Did ur friend pick his wife from the village?I guess they must have dated b4 tieing the nuts in the church.They should both grow up and be responsible to solve their differencies.
As for the pastor he is simply a confused clown. grin
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by axeman85(m): 3:42pm On Apr 06, 2010
The pastor is definately a fake or doesnt understand the doctrines of the bible and doesnt know what marriage is all about. am not suprised becos a lot of people nowaday after going to one bible school automatically parade themselves as pastors.   these same pastors will tell you that you mama is a wizard, ur neighbours is a mami water or you gf is not your wife or that if you marry someone the marriage wont work. nonsense. the guy is stupid. marriage is about 2 people and also as my pastor used to say there is nothing like compatability in marriage its understanding each other and the ability to be able to say sorry even thou you are not at fault and also a lot of communication helps as well.

ABSOLUTE TRASH THAT PASTOR SHOULD BE DE PASTORED FOR SAYING SO!!!!. DAMNNNNN NONSENSE.
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by bawomolo(m): 4:02pm On Apr 06, 2010
divorce is advisable in cases of incompatibility that can't be repaired by counseling.

children may suffer during a divorce but the damage can be mended if both parents act like adults rather than become bitter exes.
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by afanda(m): 4:13pm On Apr 06, 2010
This is a HOT issue. however am of the opinion dat divorce is not permissible except in cases of ADULTERY!
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by Nneomaj(f): 4:16pm On Apr 06, 2010
If their is no infidelity,2 months is too short a time 4 a pastor to ask them to get divorced. He should have counselled and prayed 4 them. If two ppl in a relationship,find out and understand their unique differences,problems will not arise. The decision to have a peaceful home is urs,make it and u'll be happy but dat is if ur spouse makes d same decision.
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by Fhemmmy: 4:38pm On Apr 06, 2010
Nneomaj:

If their is no infidelity,2 months is too short a time 4 a pastor to ask them to get divorced. He should have counselled and prayed 4 them. If two ppl in a relationship,find out and understand their unique differences,problems will not arise. The decision to have a peaceful home is urs,make it and u'll be happy but dat is if your spouse makes d same decision.

True Dat
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by MsTom(f): 4:42pm On Apr 06, 2010
Two months is such a short time to make a decision such as divorce. They are still supposed to be in "honeymoon" phase. what were they doing before they got married? where was this so called pastor before they got married? What could have happened within that two months? The pastor should be concerned and not be contributing to their divorce. I think the couple should give it time. Except the marriage itself is a fake
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by Fhemmmy: 4:44pm On Apr 06, 2010
MsTom:

Two months is such a short time to make a decision such as divorce. They are still supposed to be in "honeymoon" phase. what were they doing before they got married? [b]where was this so called pastor before they got married? [/b]What could have happened within that two months? The pastor should be concerned and not be contributing to their divorce. I think the couple should give it time. Except the marriage itself is a fake

Lol . . . . . I am sure what he did is not what all other pastors would have done
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by Jephyard(m): 5:03pm On Apr 06, 2010
Divorce is shit, Nothing good comes out from it. I don't realy understand retard people, how they envolve, they blind. emotion is burning your brain up instead of understanding. Animal are more perfect in their dealing while human keep modifying from perfection to imperfection. I ve come to learn that two enenmies kept in the same room become friends overtime. One side said if it is not working get out. Go out there, there are still the same nothing work fine, you make it work for you.
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by sizzlers(m): 5:17pm On Apr 06, 2010
THEY ARE BEEN MISLEAD, FOR ME THERE ARE THREE CONDITIONS THAT MUST TRIGGER DIVORCE
1. IF THE MARRIAGE Is BASED ON FALSEHOOD e.g when the guy knowing full well that he is HIV positive, thwart the lab test convince his wife otherwise. eventually if the wife finds out she can file for divorce or When the guy is suffering from seasonal madness (raining season the guy will be normal but during dry season the madness will be at pick), lowsperm count, impotency without letting the wife know his full health condition before they marry, the wife can file for divorce if she eventually finds out.
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by sizzlers(m): 5:20pm On Apr 06, 2010
i will still push in the other two conditions
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by Outstrip(f): 6:30pm On Apr 06, 2010
I don't believe in dying for a marriage but 2 months is just too soon. What could you have learned in two months.
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Apr 06, 2010
I do hope they didnt intimacy themselves into oblivion before the marriage and then find out two months after that they wanted to divorce?

which kind story be this sef.

Are the people involved Nigerians? Two month marriage? And a pastor advising divorce and remarriage for a two month union?

lord have mercy- things have indeed fallen apart.
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by komekn(m): 6:47pm On Apr 06, 2010
I   am not sure from what perspective we are approaching this issue, humanistic rational and liberalism or Christian standards.
However, since the issue of the pastor’s advice is also central to the issue. My approach will be Christian not religious in the context of none believing but attendant halleluiah shouting, tongue speaking church goers.

No debate, no opinion belief and acceptance in Christ does not have pre- requisite of acceptance to the rationality of your intellect, thought and or personal opinion.So we arrive at the beginning the word, God’s word.(NKJ):

Luke 16: 17-18      And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one tittle of the law to fail.  18 “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced from her husband commits adultery.
Malachi 2:16 “ For the LORD God of Israel says That He hates divorce, For it covers one’s garment with violence,” Says the LORD of hosts. “Therefore take heed to your spirit, that you do not deal treacherously.”
Matthew 19:8-9   He said to them, “Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality,[d] and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.”
Matthew 19:4  And He answered and said to them, “Have you not read that He who made[a]them at the beginning ‘made them male and female,’ 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’?[c] 6 So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.”

It’s  put more succinctly in the [b]Message Matthew 19:8-9
Jesus said, "Moses provided for divorce as a concession to your hard heartedness, but it is not part of God's original plan. I'm holding you to the original plan, and holding you liable for adultery if you divorce your faithful wife and then marry someone else. I make an exception in cases where the spouse has committed adultery."

Simply put for Christians there is NO DIVORCE  the desire for divorce emanates from the self(flesh) even if your wife is unfaithful having had our sins forgiven by the price paid for our justification Jesus, you should be able to forgive your wife. If you cannot forgive your wife you have put your own salvation to question, asking God to forgive you but you cannot forgive your wife.

However, if you are not in Christ  then NO SHAKIN,  do as your mind tell you , your final destination is different.
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Apr 06, 2010
komekn:

I   am not sure from what perspective we are approaching this issue, humanistic rational and liberalism or Christian standards.
However, since the issue of the pastor’s advice is also central to the issue. My approach will be Christian not religious in the context of none believing but attendant halleluiah shouting, tongue speaking church goers.

No debate, no opinion belief and acceptance in Christ does not have pre- requisite of acceptance to the rationality of your intellect, thought and or personal opinion.So we arrive at the beginning the word, God’s word.(NKJ):

Luke 16: 17-18      And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one tittle of the law to fail.  18 “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced from her husband commits adultery.
Malachi 2:16 “ For the LORD God of Israel says That He hates divorce, For it covers one’s garment with violence,” Says the LORD of hosts. “Therefore take heed to your spirit, that you do not deal treacherously.”
Matthew 19:8-9   He said to them, “Moses, because of the hardness of your hearts, permitted you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality,[d] and marries another, commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced commits adultery.”
Matthew 19:4  And He answered and said to them, “Have you not read that He who made[a]them at the beginning ‘made them male and female,’ 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’?[c] 6 So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.”

It’s  put more succinctly in the [b]Message Matthew 19:8-9
Jesus said, "Moses provided for divorce as a concession to your hard heartedness, but it is not part of God's original plan. I'm holding you to the original plan, and holding you liable for adultery if you divorce your faithful wife and then marry someone else. I make an exception in cases where the spouse has committed adultery."

Simply put for Christians there is NO DIVORCE  the desire for divorce emanates from the self(flesh) even if your wife is unfaithful having had our sins forgiven by the price paid for our justification Jesus, you should be able to forgive your wife. If you cannot forgive your wife you have put your own salvation to question, asking God to forgive you but you cannot forgive your wife.

However, if you are not in Christ  then NO SHAKIN,  do as your mind tell you , your final destination is different.

true talk. broda,biko ibu pastor onye?
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by OAM4J: 8:28pm On Apr 06, 2010
snakeeyes:

Outstrip:

I don't believe in dying for a marriage but 2 months is just too soon. What could you have learned in two months.

My thoughts exactly.
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by skyone(m): 8:47pm On Apr 06, 2010
Probably the pastor initiated the divorce in the first place, hence by having constant fling with the man's wife. Just my opinion though
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by RMI(m): 8:56pm On Apr 06, 2010
Personally, i think divorce is absolutely wrong.
I believe if 2 adults can love each other enough to get married, they should be able to work out any problem.
The situation with divorces today, especially here in the UK, is quite laughable to be honest. People get divorced for the flimsiest reasons.
The funniest i've heard is a woman leaving a man just because 'it's not working out'. Nothing more. Just 'it's not working out'. Unbelievable.
My advice: Just work things out. The grass may look greener on the other side, but it rarely ever truly is.

Visit www.Ukgists.co.uk to find out more about Studying, Living and Working in the UK.
You'll find folks there with great experience discussing wide ranging issues and helping each other out with very useful information.
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by sophy09: 11:11pm On Apr 06, 2010
@Poster

What is the point staying in a loveless marriage. I will rather have a divorce. Married is about enjoyment and not enduring. Most people that stay in such marriages do it for the children.
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 11:13pm On Apr 06, 2010
i personally i hate divorce,i wonder why they both have to say i do when they know the love is not there.i also wonder why the pastor have to encourage divorce.i also hope the couples go through d bible 2 understand what wi happen after divorce.why cant they settle it witin themselves or marriage councillor.i tink dat will work for them.hun just 2 mth.
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 11:19pm On Apr 06, 2010
i personally i hate divorce,i wonder why they both have to say i do when they know the love is not there.i also wonder why the pastor have to encourage divorce.i also hope the couples go through d bible 2 understand what wi happen after divorce.why cant they settle it witin themselves or marriage councillor.i tink dat will work for them.hun just 2 mth.
Re: What's Your Take On Divorce? by streetwize(m): 1:39am On Apr 07, 2010
Utter nonsense!Sorry if i sound insultive, but where do you guys get all these weird ideas from?When two people make a mistake of thinking themsleves compatible and then getting married, only to discover that they are not, they should then stay together by force because of what exactly?Why suffer yourselves by staying in a relationship(married or not) that does not exist just because you said "i do" in front of some priest?I just can't figure out some people's thinking.

Till divorce do us part.If the marriage does not work, then dissolve it and go your separate ways.Na by force to stay together?And this utterly insane concept of staying divorced once going through a divorce process. . .  where do you guys get all these crazy ideas from,anyway?

Oga your confused oh. . . honestly and truthfully. . . It is like u dont even know what marriage is
It is a promise, an oath, to stay together for the rest of your lives and guess what. . yes your right. . . YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE IT!!
why would you take an oath sayin ull be with som1 for the rest of your life when u feel that u can do away with the person if she pours gbegiri soup on your agbada  cheesy cheesy
oh boy take time oh. .  grin grin
If u dont mean it, then its simple. . . don't do it na. . . na by force??
Imagine som1 makin a promise and sayin its not by force to keep it at the same time. . . wont you giv him a dirty slap whether he does not understand english. .  cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Are Christians Held Accountable, What Does It Mean To Reap What You Sow? / Will The World Had Been A Better Place Without Religion? Your Thoughts / Living Faith Church (winners Chapel) Let's Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.