Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,049 members, 7,818,156 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:08 AM

Involuntary Celibacy And Isolation (help) - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Involuntary Celibacy And Isolation (help) (2432 Views)

Poll: Do you think involuntary celibacy is a problem?

Yes,it's a problem: 33% (2 votes)
No, it's not: 33% (2 votes)
I don't know: 33% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

If Ur Girlfriend Tells U She Wants 2 Practice Celibacy,what Will Be Ur Reaction? / Share Your Celibacy Relationship Experience Here. / Is Love A Voluntary, Involuntary Or A Reflex Action? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Involuntary Celibacy And Isolation (help) by matsilver1: 4:31pm On Apr 05, 2010
I know most of you won't take this seriously.

I'm a male, and I'm also very different from all of you. I also have other problems that go beyond the scope of this topic/thread or at the very least do not contribute to my getting better. Ie, that I have other problems which do cause problems but the root is definitely involuntary celibacy and extreme isolation. It causes most of my problems and contributes to most of my problems.

Don't talk to me if you're already healthy, and think this is an easy thing to overcome when you yourself are already healthy from the start and mentally healthy or perhaps never experienced ill health due to involuntary celibacy and isolation.

Unless of course you have something positive to say. And positive means helpful.

This is only for those who can understand that I'm already at the extreme depths of unhealthiness caused by the following.

I've been an involuntary celibate for a very long time. My whole life in fact, and I'm 23 years old. i've also been extremely lonely for a very long time.

I feel it has led to major depression and mental ill as well as physical ill.

I dont want to go to a psychiatrist that doesn't treat me for the root of my problem, first off. And second off the majority of the psychiatric drugs mess you up if taken in the long run.

You have to understand it's very hard for me to do normal things due to this depression and lack of self esteem that simply does not go away no matter how hard I tried.

It blocks all sort of avenues and opportunity to get better, especially in regards to getting intimacy, and away from isolation.

Is there anything a person like me can do?

Going to the gym and exercising doesn't help, although I still do it but I oftentimes lack motivation. But this is besides the point. It doesn't treat my illness.

My illness can only be treated by getting that which I need.

But that illness keeps me from getting what I need, and it's not simply dependent on myself (ie others have to accept who I am).
Re: Involuntary Celibacy And Isolation (help) by Outstrip(f): 7:41pm On Apr 05, 2010
Are you in Nigeria or outside of Nigeria. I still think you should talk to a professional. I myself have issues with most of the drugs they give and in the US for example these drugs are often times over prescribed. Depression is not a death sentence and I still don't understand from your post why you think being celibate might be part of your problem
Re: Involuntary Celibacy And Isolation (help) by Outstrip(f): 7:45pm On Apr 05, 2010
Okay I guess the keyword here is involuntary. So I guess in that case your self esteem can be tied to that. Also since it is a well known fact that depression usually goes hand in hand with low self esteem then they could all be tied but I still do not think that the celibacy is causing the depression. If anything the low self esteem which might be caused by the depression might be affecting your confidence. I am not a professional so I still insist that you see one. Good luck and don't give up on finding answers
Re: Involuntary Celibacy And Isolation (help) by Girl846(f): 9:37pm On Apr 05, 2010
My advice to you is that you change this your mindset to begin with! Its mostly all in your head. I do not mean to sound harsh but you need to hear the truth!
You need to stop this fixation on intimacy, intimacy, intimacy!

Involuntary celibacy cannot harm you! (The people that stay virgins till their late 20's or early 30's do not go insane or die).
And the truth is that Intimacy will not solve all of your problems because your problems run much deeper.
Intimacy lasts a few minutes and after you have climaxed, what next? your problems will remain. The after glow is intimacy is fleeting and afterward, you are back to reality.
Intimacy can only truly be satisfying when done in a loving relationship.
If you do it with a random hookup just for pleasure, at the end of the day after the act is done, you will still be alone!
There is more to life than intimacy and you are so young! Pick a hobby or something. There is so much beauty to life! yet you are beating yourself up and putting yourself down just because you haven't had intimacy in a while??
But I do understand how this and loneliness can really affect yourself esteem and general outlook on life. I sympathize with you that you are feeling this way.

My suggestion:
What will benefit you is loving friendships and relationships. Get in touch with your family members more often, visit home more often.
What you need to do is socialize.
Maybe you can join a local church and get involved. Everyone and anyone is always welcome at church!That way you can meet with people who will have a positive influence on your life. And who knows, maybe there you will meet a potential wife?
Also, inviting God into your life will honestly do great things for you. He is the only one that can truly solve all your problems and leave you healthy and joyful.
Re: Involuntary Celibacy And Isolation (help) by topup: 10:24pm On Apr 05, 2010
Hello, if you don't mind me asking, what illness is this??

What sort of illness can be cured by having s.ex?

Is it depression that you think will be alleviated?

Also, any psychiatrist will always ask you to love yourself first, and not to look for quick fixes, I understand that you've already tried several alternative options like going to the gym and such, but do you really love yourself. Can I hazard a guess and say no?

What exactly are we dealing with here?

Can you be more specific please?
Re: Involuntary Celibacy And Isolation (help) by indoorlove(m): 8:59pm On Oct 21, 2010
Every failure is an opportunity. Be it social rejection, unemployment, your physical health, these are all opportunities. See a doctor, get medical clearance and start exercising. Find an employment service. Analyse social conducts. A couple years ago, I did a night time course at a local college that taught me [and the other students] to find good qualities in ourselves to be proud of; how to handle job interviews and employment - most of the people in the group had not even finished high school but managed to find jobs they were good at and could take on professionally; and how to interact with people socially.

Now I can sit here and feel sorry for you, but that won't help. It sucks that you've been bullied, it really does. It sucks that you have weight issues.  But being angry about it isn't going to help. Forgive your bullies,  FORGIVE YOURSELF for being a virgin with Asperger's Syndrome. Right now you're playing the blame game, which means you have to make yourself the victim. And the victim never wins. So stop blaming and start resolving.
You don't have to solve everything at once. Personally, I'd suggest starting with your fitness, and make sure you go to a gym that's focused on the clients' wellbeing and quality of life - not a superficial body-builder's gym or the like. That's if you can afford it. If not, start with an employment agency.
Just tackle one thing at a time, and build yourself up.

(1) (Reply)

Five Important Qualities Of A Desirable Woman / Promiscous Fornicators Are Now Heros/heroines / She Snores Like A Broken Silencer: !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.