Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,077 members, 7,818,230 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:45 AM

Is It Right To Correct Your Parents When You See Them Making A Mistake? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Right To Correct Your Parents When You See Them Making A Mistake? (771 Views)

I Made A Mistake For Asking My Wife For An Open Marriage (story For The TL) / Does My Brother's Wife Have The Right To Walk Me Out Of My Brother's House ? / Man Catches His Wife In A Hotel With Man, Says "I Have The Right To Kill You" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right To Correct Your Parents When You See Them Making A Mistake? by omortoyosi01(m): 11:46pm On Dec 28, 2017
Sometimes last month,I drove back from school and met mom talking about a neighbor of ours with another neighbor.
I find their discussions quite offensive which I talked to my mom about. Dad came back the following week from Calabar and mom reported me to him.
I was rebuked profusely and warned never to correct my mom again... " We gave birth to you, do not try to correct either I or your mom, you met us in this world".. Those are my dad's words.
I was quite confused and flabbergasted cos I meant no harm whatsoever and I didn't think telling my mom my mind is a sin in any way.

So my question goes to Nairalanders, is it right to correct your parents when you see them making a mistake or whosoever is superior to you like a boss or a pastor. Would it be counted a sin or??
Re: Is It Right To Correct Your Parents When You See Them Making A Mistake? by music4me(m): 12:03am On Dec 29, 2017
Now We Don Know Say U Dey Carry Car Go School...'I Drove Back From School'...If U Like Fly Back Frm School Its Non Of Our Konsign-Men...Park For BRT Lane Pls...
Re: Is It Right To Correct Your Parents When You See Them Making A Mistake? by wonderkid619(m): 12:33am On Dec 29, 2017
instead of the approach im thinking you used, since youve pointed out youre a student, you coulda made a joke out of it while driving home your point.

I got this from the Bible, so if you do it respectfully, well, that aint no sin. 1Tim 5:1(NIV) Never speak harshly to an older man, but appeal to him respectfully as you would to your own father. Talk to younger men as you would to your own brothers.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Correct Your Parents When You See Them Making A Mistake? by Ahmed0336(m): 1:25am On Dec 29, 2017
music4me:
Now We Don Know Say U Dey Carry Car Go School...'I Drove Back From School'...If U Like Fly Back Frm School Its Non Of Our Konsign-Men...Park For BRT Lane Pls...
grin
I been think say Na only me see am cheesy
Op you can correct them if you want to. But mind you, do it in a polite manner and in private.
Re: Is It Right To Correct Your Parents When You See Them Making A Mistake? by kolafolabi(m): 2:18am On Dec 29, 2017
Of course! No one is perfect

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Correct Your Parents When You See Them Making A Mistake? by omortoyosi01(m): 6:54am On Dec 29, 2017
music4me:
There we go again... Why you pointing out something inconsequential when I only wanted your piece of advice
Re: Is It Right To Correct Your Parents When You See Them Making A Mistake? by omortoyosi01(m): 6:57am On Dec 29, 2017
wonderkid619:
instead of the approach im thinking you used, since youve pointed out youre a student, you coulda made a joke out of it while driving home your point.

I got this from the Bible, so if you do it respectfully, well, that aint no sin. 1Tim 5:1(NIV) Never speak harshly to an older man, but appeal to him respectfully as you would to your own father. Talk to younger men as you would to your own brothers.
Thanks bro, I never talked about it in the other woman's presence... I spoke about it with her in private but she still flared up.
Re: Is It Right To Correct Your Parents When You See Them Making A Mistake? by wonderkid619(m): 8:43am On Dec 29, 2017
omortoyosi01:

Thanks bro, I never talked about it in the other woman's presence... I spoke about it with her in private but she still flared up.

it happens, maybe you caught her at a bad time. she's mom na, there'll be something that'll make her tick naa...
Re: Is It Right To Correct Your Parents When You See Them Making A Mistake? by ImaIma1(f): 10:14am On Dec 29, 2017
I have corrected my mum off course not harshly or disrespectfully. No one is an island or knows all even as a parent. It is just that Nigerian culture places parents as never being wrong no matter what. Whatever they do is right even if it is detrimental to your well being.

I don't intend to act like a know it all with my children. Will be strict but open to learn new things.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Correct Your Parents When You See Them Making A Mistake? by Angy55(f): 10:06pm On Dec 29, 2017
I correct my parents but I do it in a respectful manner.
Re: Is It Right To Correct Your Parents When You See Them Making A Mistake? by EfemenaXY: 10:13pm On Dec 29, 2017
No one knows it all. The learning process is continuous until we draw our last breath.

Nothing wrong in correcting your parent(s). What matters the most is how you go about doing it.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Correct Your Parents When You See Them Making A Mistake? by Daronyk(f): 12:46am On Dec 30, 2017
Nigeria culture does not allow older people to be corrected by the younger one and this is becoming a serious problem in our society.
Well I think the older people should still be corrected in spite of their believe but with respect and humility
Re: Is It Right To Correct Your Parents When You See Them Making A Mistake? by 1Sharon(f): 12:58am On Dec 30, 2017
EfemenaXY:
No one knows it all. The learning process is continuous until we draw our last breath.

Nothing wrong in correcting your parent(s). What matters the most is how you go about doing it.

Nigerian parents are never wrong, they can't be told anything

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Wife Introduction: Does Parents Absence Make Any Meaning Or Difference? / Lady Diagnosed With Hormonal Imbalance During Pregnancy, Gives Birth To Baby Boy / Ditto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.